Sign in to follow this  
princess

Robert Downey Jr.

That's terrible. Do you really think he's back to old tricks of using. When you say partying, do you mean coke? heroin? I can't imagine that even after he did time in prison that it wouldn't be enough to stay clean. And, he has a son. How does he look himself in the mirror after he's telling everyone he's clean but knows he's not. What a waste of talent.

He's definitely using again. I don't know if it's coke, heroin, meth or pills but he's been high as a fucking kite and people noticed.

The prison stint made things worse, he had a terrible time of it in there. Seriously terrible. He adores his son but he's an addict, he needs constant treatment and support. We've all known people who couldn't stop drinking, drugging, gambling, screwing around, whatever - regardless of the kids involved. He's not as bad as he used to be but that could change in the blink of an eye. It's tragic, really, if he worked in an industry where he could come out as gay then I think it would have been a better life for him. As it is, he can't and it's ripped him apart for years.

As for the lying, it's standard operating procedure in Hollywood. Most, if not all, of them are lying about something. Sweet young girls who used to turn tricks, wholesome hunks who snort their weight in coke, romeos and juliets who are all gay - it's the usual crap. They chalk the lying up to "what has to be done" in the business and everyone accepts it.

It's like that line from The Godfather - "This is the price you pay for the life you choose."

It's tragic, really, if he worked in an industry where he could come out as gay then I think it would have been a better life for him. As it is, he can't and it's ripped him apart for years.

Robert Downey Jr. is gay? And his wife is his beard?

Robert Downey Jr. is gay? And his wife is his beard?

Yep, he's gay although he's been known to take a walk on the bi side. Meyer's a beard as was Sarah Jessica Parker during her years with Downey. She went on to marry a gay man. It doesn't necessarily mean that the marriage is unsuccessful. It depends on what people want out of it. With SJP and Broderick, they seem to have worked it out to their mutual benefit. I don't have high hopes for the Meyer-Downey marriage but that has a lot to do with his torment and his drugs.

I always thought he was bi. It's a shame he can't kick the drugs. I've always liked him, and I would hate to have him OD. :(

That's terrible. Do you really think he's back to old tricks of using. When you say partying, do you mean coke? heroin? I can't imagine that even after he did time in prison that it wouldn't be enough to stay clean. And, he has a son. How does he look himself in the mirror after he's telling everyone he's clean but knows he's not. What a waste of talent.

He's definitely using again. I don't know if it's coke, heroin, meth or pills but he's been high as a fucking kite and people noticed.

The prison stint made things worse, he had a terrible time of it in there. Seriously terrible. He adores his son but he's an addict, he needs constant treatment and support. We've all known people who couldn't stop drinking, drugging, gambling, screwing around, whatever - regardless of the kids involved. He's not as bad as he used to be but that could change in the blink of an eye. It's tragic, really, if he worked in an industry where he could come out as gay then I think it would have been a better life for him. As it is, he can't and it's ripped him apart for years.

As for the lying, it's standard operating procedure in Hollywood. Most, if not all, of them are lying about something. Sweet young girls who used to turn tricks, wholesome hunks who snort their weight in coke, romeos and juliets who are all gay - it's the usual crap. They chalk the lying up to "what has to be done" in the business and everyone accepts it.

It's like that line from The Godfather - "This is the price you pay for the life you choose."

I know ... you're right. I guess I kept hoping he would turn things around. I used to see him in Malibu all the time... He seemed really sweet and down to earth... very humble. I have to remember it's all bs in Hollywood.

My husband works in the industry and used to work for some pretty powerful A list producers. If I had a dollar for every time we see a film or tv show and he would say "She used to be one of Heidi's girls"... I wouldn't need a job. So I guess everyone has their skeletons.

Robert Downey Jr: Playing Iron Man Fulfilled A Fantasy

Actor ROBERT DOWNEY JNR has revealed that playing a superhero in his latest movie IRON MAN has helped him fulfil a long-time fantasy.

Speaking to Azcentral.com, the Oscar-nominated actor, who is better known for his roles in serious dramas such as KISS KISS BANG and THE WONDER BOYS, said that when he hit his 40s he knew it was now or never.

"If you're going to do something like this you want to do it while there's a very low embarrassment factor, age-wise," the 43-year-old added.

In the same interview, Downey stated that the opportunity to work with director JON FAVREAU also attracted him to the project.

"That guy is a national treasure and to be able to do something like this with him and maybe have the opportunity to do it a couple more times - it's a no-brainer," said.

The UK premiere if IRON MAN will take place in Leicester Square's Odeon cinema tonight.

Downey's co-star GWYNETH PALTROW and Favreau are expected to join him on the red carpet.

Source :contactmusic

Downey Blames Movie For Addiction

Former troubled actor ROBERT DOWNEY JR blames his role in 1980s cult film LESS THAN ZERO for fuelling his drug addiction.

The 43-year-old insists he only took drugs recreationally before he was cast as a cocaine addict in the 1987 film based on the novel by Bret Easton Ellis.

Soon after completing the movie, Downey Jr's substance abuse worsened and he was jailed at California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison, Corcoran for a year for missing mandatory court-imposed drug tests.

He says, "Until that movie I took my drugs after work and on the weekends. That changed on Less Than Zero. The role was like the ghost of Christmas Future. I became an exaggeration of the character."

Source: contactmusic

Downey Blames Movie For Addiction

Former troubled actor ROBERT DOWNEY JR blames his role in 1980s cult film LESS THAN ZERO for fuelling his drug addiction.

The 43-year-old insists he only took drugs recreationally before he was cast as a cocaine addict in the 1987 film based on the novel by Bret Easton Ellis.

Soon after completing the movie, Downey Jr's substance abuse worsened and he was jailed at California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison, Corcoran for a year for missing mandatory court-imposed drug tests.

He says, "Until that movie I took my drugs after work and on the weekends. That changed on Less Than Zero. The role was like the ghost of Christmas Future. I became an exaggeration of the character."

Source: contactmusic

Well I'm no insider but I don't believe a word of it. Sounds just like those who claim that the darkness of the Joker character is to blame for Heath's insomnia and untimely death.

Oh for fuck's sake - he knows better than that. He became an addict because he's a fucking addict. The End.

And my bad on repeatedly insisting that he's married to Jennifer Meyer, he's not. Downey married Susan Levin who is a producer in her own right. I have no idea what her father does. Tobey Maguire is married to Jennifer Meyer daughter of Ron Meyer, President/COO of Universal and regular visitor to Anthony Pellicano in jail. Mr. Meyer and Mr. Pellicano are long-time buddies and we know what that means. Anyway, sorry for any confusion, Downey doesn't have anything to fear from his father-in-law. All these beards sometimes confuse me. ;)

Robert Downey Jr.'s career on high-flying track in "Iron Man"

It took comic book heroics and major studio clout but when "Iron Man" debuts in movie theaters this week, Robert Downey Jr. will have completed a roundtrip from showbiz boy wonder to fallen star and back again.

Downey, 43, is happy about it, not so much for being back in business because, in recent years, he has been working steadily in many low-budget and independent movies.

Rather, he is happy because he is back in a starring role in a big Hollywood flick -- the first major release of the summer season -- with the kind of marketing muscle that means "Iron Man" will be seen by millions of fans.

It is the kind of attention he has not enjoyed in years.

"You want to reach an audience and you want some surety that all your work did not all go for naught," Downey told Reuters. "'Iron Man' has this big, gigantic PR (public relations) machine. It's been a wild ride and I feel we made a quality product."

Downey was born to act. He is the son of New York filmmaker Robert Downey Sr. who began his career in his father's films and grew up to claim a spot on TV's "Saturday Night Live."

By 1987, he had burst onto the Hollywood scene as a highly touted young actor in "Less than Zero." In 1992, at age 27, he was nominated for a best actor Oscar for his portrayal of screen legend Charlie Chaplin in "Chaplin."

Then, Downey's life spiraled downward from alcohol and drug abuse, and in 1997 he was jailed for violating probation on drunk driving, drug possession and a weapons charge.

"SUBVERSIVE SENSIBILITY"

About six years ago, Downey has said he realized it was time for him to get his real-life act together. He found work on TV's "Ally McBeal" and in little-seen movies like "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints."

Then, along came "Iron Man" director Jon Favreau and Marvel Studios, which owns the comic book character and made the movie.

They were casting for a 40-ish actor to play Tony Stark -- the genius chief executive officer of a weapons maker who, after being captured in Afghanistan, decides to make a super high-tech suit of armor to defend the defenseless.

"He brings a subversive sensibility to this very mainstream film. It adds other dimensions to it -- humor and humanity," Favreau said, likening Downey's offbeat casting to Johnny Depp in the hugely popular "Pirates of the Caribbean" films.

Downey likens the role of Tony Stark to that of Jason Bourne (Matt Damon) in the "Bourne Ultimatum" and "Bourne Supremacy" movies that pair big Hollywood action with a flawed central character who is complicated and struggling to find himself and his place in the world.

"This is someone who is literally and figuratively almost destroyed by their own (mistakes)," Downey said.

In the movie, Stark (aka Iron Man) eventually sees hope and redemption when he looks in the mirror and into the eyes of his devoted assistant, Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow). And "Iron Man" is not with out its action -- there are plenty of battles.

Yet "Iron Man" is winning good early reviews not so much for the action but mainly because of Downey's performance.

Downey, who moved into an office next to Favreau to work closely on the film, said he just wants the film to be seen.

"I just want to make good movies that people are going to see," he said.

(Editing by Dan Whitcomb and John O'Callaghan)

(please visit our entertainment blog via www.reuters.com or on http://blogs.reuters.com/fanfare/)

Copyright © 2008 Reuters Limited.

Howard: Downey Jr. Is A Better Iron Man Than Me

TERRENCE HOWARD has saluted filmmaker JON FAVREAU for not casting him as IRON MAN - because ROBERT DOWNEY JR. was a much better fit for the comic book hero’s heavy metal suit.

Howard admits he was an early frontrunner to play Tony Stark/Iron Man and had meetings with director Favreau about the role.

Eventually the Hustle & Flow star landed the role of Stark’s sidekick and weapons expert Jim Rhodes in the blockbuster - and now he’s glad he’s not the film’s lead.

He tells WENN, "For a little while people thought I was going to be Iron Man and it didn’t hurt my career at all.

"I could have done it, but Iron Man’s sensibilities would have been a lot different. I don’t know if he would have been as free thinking and free form as Robert’s Iron Man.

"Robert has a comparative nature - he’s been a child of privilege, like Stark’s character. He knows what that life is like.

"Me, I’ve had to fight so much that it makes me a little more suited to become War Machine - someone that’s always bulldozing right through something, strategising but bulldozing through it. I think they made a really good choice."

Source: pr-inside

Downey Jr. Is Star Struck By Spielberg

Hollywood star ROBERT DOWNEY JR. was left speechless after meeting his idol, legendry director STEVEN SPIELBERG.

The actor was in between takes for his forthcoming movie The Soloist, where he plays an inquisitive journalist, when the Jurassic Park filmmaker dropped by for a chat.

But despite waiting 25 years to meet his hero Downey Jr couldn’t manage more than a few words.

He says, "I couldn’t believe it. He’s over by the monitors and I’m like ‘Jesus Christ, there he is’ and he talks to me about a couple of things and then he leaves the set and I’m like ‘God darn it! I’ve only been waiting 25 years to have one of those moments.’"

Source: pr-inside

Well he succeeded. Iron Man is good because of his performance. I hate comic book superhero movies but I really liked this one and it was all due to Downey. And the minimal amount of screentime for Fishstick.

It's a fun movie and he's very, very good in it.

Well he succeeded. Iron Man is good because of his performance. I hate comic book superhero movies but I really liked this one and it was all due to Downey. And the minimal amount of screentime for Fishstick.

It's a fun movie and he's very, very good in it.

Agreed and it's about time he had some good luck. I'm not saying his demons are not of his own doing but there's an earthiness about him that comes with age and experience and I think he'd be a pretty cool person to know on a good day. I always see a bit of sadness in his eyes when he talks, as if the years have got to him but he's also got a bit of a Clooney-esque warmth/charm about him that's pretty likeable, sorta old fashioned. That's the vibe I get, rightly or not.

It's just good to see him having a run of decent luck. And he was born to act. He is very good.

Edited by GimmeSumSugar

You the 'Man' now, Downey

Now that Robert Downey Jr. is big time, he doesn't need to entertain our dirty little questions anymore. When we asked him about the worst thing his assistant had ever caught him doing, he yelled, "NEXT" and explained, "I've just been bumped up to another echelon. I don't have to answer those questions anymore. You missed me by like two weeks."

And with that, squealing "Half my bloodline is here, crazy Celts and Jews - this feels so good!" he giddily bounded over to chat with his dad, who was talking to his "Iron Man" co-star Jeff Bridges. It must be nice to finally be high on ... just life.

I forgive his diva antics and screaming at 'journalists' on Teh Red Carpet since the press are a bunch of fools and are very rarely innocent.

Speaking of superheroes and villains, I LOVE that new Heath Ledger doll (it's supposed to be The Joker, but frigging hell, it's HEATH!!).

I shall be buying one of those, stat!

I forgive his diva antics and screaming at 'journalists' on Teh Red Carpet since the press are a bunch of fools and are very rarely innocent.

Speaking of superheroes and villains, I LOVE that new Heath Ledger doll (it's supposed to be The Joker, but frigging hell, it's HEATH!!).

I shall be buying one of those, stat!

Good luck if you can find those dolls. They're selling out like CRAZY here in the NYC toy stores. People are lining up 4 am to buy them! And the stores are now waiting to get another shipment.

They are on sale for $55 on ebay supposedly (though they retail for $9).

Iron Man Downey's Skin Wearing Thin?

Bloated as they may be, Iron Man revenues are apparently still outpaced by the swelling ego of the film's star, the hard-bitten Robert Downey Jr. Or maybe the late-blooming blockbuster hero has just lost his tolerance for press junkets. Either way, reporters are all abuzz over his recent red carpet meltdown. Downey, 43, seemed generally fed up with questions and went on a tirade to one reporter who dared ask him his thoughts on the Iraq war (There are several references to the fighting in the comic book flick, and Downey's Tony Stark character is a defense contractor).

"Downey went crazy. He jumped up and started screaming 'Fuck you!' over and over at the poor journalist" at the film's New York screening, an eyewitness tells Radar. "He started telling him that he'd only taken this movie 'for the big paycheck' and that he should 'shut the fuck up and let me have my blockbuster.'"

Full text here: http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2008...an-premiere.php

Ok, is this customary behavior from RDJ??? As I read those recent diva articles I couldn't help but think about Heath Ledger's antics and mood swings when he did interviews and met the press.

Fuck, I really think Hedda was right when she said Bobby was using again. :( :(

"He started telling him that he'd only taken this movie 'for the big paycheck' and that he should 'shut the fuck up and let me have my blockbuster.'"

Either he's using or he just became the first truly honest actor in Hollywood. B)

"He started telling him that he'd only taken this movie 'for the big paycheck' and that he should 'shut the fuck up and let me have my blockbuster.'"

Either he's using or he just became the first truly honest actor in Hollywood. B)

He's using.

He's using.

He could be both.

From Perez's site

Posted Image

Hollywood has a Hugh Hefner biopic in the works, and Robert Downey Jr. is in the lead for the top spot in the film!

After Iron Man's huge and unexpected success, RDJ is one of the hottest properties in town!

It's not a 100 percent done deal, but sources say Hefner has signed off on Downey to play him in the movie, which has the working title Playboy.

Hef reportedly took a liking to Downey after seeing Iron Man and "admiring his humor and skill in showing his vulnerability."

We'd see the movie!

Boobies and Downey…what a combo!

Throw in Andy Dick too, just for gigglez.

[image via WENN.]

From Perez's site

Posted Image

Hollywood has a Hugh Hefner biopic in the works, and Robert Downey Jr. is in the lead for the top spot in the film!

After Iron Man's huge and unexpected success, RDJ is one of the hottest properties in town!

It's not a 100 percent done deal, but sources say Hefner has signed off on Downey to play him in the movie, which has the working title Playboy.

Hef reportedly took a liking to Downey after seeing Iron Man and "admiring his humor and skill in showing his vulnerability."

We'd see the movie!

Boobies and Downey…what a combo!

Throw in Andy Dick too, just for gigglez.

[image via WENN.]

Good choice...was thinking of Johnny Depp for this.