Sign in to follow this  
Bette Davis

Christian Bale

Actor Christian Bale Arrested for Assaulting Mom, Sister

Tuesday July 22, 2008

Christian Bale was arrested Tuesday for allegedly assaulting his 61-year-old mother and 40-year-old sister, according London's Daily Telegraph.

The incident allegedly occurred at a west London hotel on Sunday. His mother and sister went to police on Monday.

A police spokesman — who declined to identify Bale, 34 - told the London Telegraph: "A 34-year-old man attended a London Police Station on Tuesday by appointment and was arrested in connection with an allegation of assault. He remains in custody."

Look back at Us' mugshot archive.

Bale appeared to be undeterred by the news at Monday's premiere of The Dark Knight in London.

See 18 photos from The Dark Knight.

He told Usmagazine.com it felt "great" supporting the movie as he walked the carpet with his wife Sibi. (They have a daughter Emmaline, 3.)

Asked what it was like to have the highest box office ever, he told Us, "it's wonderful! But I'm not a business man. I just enjoy doing what I do and whatever happens after that is gravy.

"I hope people are as excited about the movie as I am," Bale added. "The good thing is I don't feel like a con-man - the movie really does live up to the hype."

Playing the caped crusader wasn't easy, he said.

"Try putting on a bat suit and not laughing at yourself, it's very tricky," Bale told Us. "The only way you can manage that is by creating this demonic, angry creature. You cease to become a man, you become a creature."

A poster on Just Jared claims her father works security at the hotel, and the mother and sister turned up drunk and demanding money, leading to pushing and shoving, etc.

Plausible? I dunno. The JJ poster uses the word "mom" which a Brit would not do. A PR plant (although Bale supposedly does not employ PR people)? Or just an eager fan?

If it's true, it's ugly. If it's a false accusation, less bad obviously, though mortifying to have such family nastiness dragged out into the open.

A poster on Just Jared claims her father works security at the hotel, and the mother and sister turned up drunk and demanding money, leading to pushing and shoving, etc.

Plausible? I dunno. The JJ poster uses the word "mom" which a Brit would not do. A PR plant (although Bale supposedly does not employ PR people)? Or just an eager fan?

If it's true, it's ugly. If it's a false accusation, less bad obviously, though mortifying to have such family nastiness dragged out into the open.

The thing that is very strange is how quickly mom and sis went to the police to register a complaint (generally, family members, whether this stuff is true or not, don't run to the police so quickly like this--unless they got seriously injured or are terrified) and this is right at the time that Christian's film is breaking box office records all over....

I don't know....I find the whole thing odd.

FYI, did you know that Christian's ex-step-mom was Gloria Steinem and that his father (who died a few years ago) was a well known anti-apartheid/peace advocate?

I'm betting on "highly irritated" over "angry and abusive" when the truth comes out. There are always those few family members who instead of congratulating you at a time like this will be asking assinine questions like "why is Heath getting all the attention?" or "why don't you stand up for yourself and tell them you're the real star" to which I could see Bale getting pissed and saying "STFU!". I don't think one has to be considered an abuser because they get irritated by loved ones on occassion and scream obscenities but then that's because it's so common amongst my own. ;)

To get angry enough to file charges? Money has to be involved. So if he refused, and they felt they had nothing to lose... they could easily make false claims.

I can see how he could be under a lot of stress. The movie is HUGE and it's not all about him, and he is Batman! He was good, but he was more like part of an ensemble. But so what? It's still huge, he's on the European tour and his family does this? With friends like that....

I'm sorry, but if he had beat one of them up, or hurt one in any way, there would be witnesses. What about Security at the hotel?

Maybe he screamed them out of his suite or something. But to file charges? A mother against her own son?

I can't begin to imagine the real story. Either it's true, or his family is insane (literally) and estranged from him.

If its about money (which was my first thought) they can kiss that good bye.

Hard to kiss, forgive and forget after something like this.

If its about money (which was my first thought) they can kiss that good bye.

Hard to kiss, forgive and forget after something like this.

Exactly. That's why I felt that they must have felt they had nothing to lose and their only recourse was to try to publicly humiliate him.

I agree it's about money. He wouldn't give them any so they said then we'll to the police and tell them you're abusive. The next step is to do video interviews, for which of course they'll be paid, where they try to convince us all that Bale is very uncaring as a son and brother. Translation: He isn't sharing the money.

I'm not sure if anybody else has pointed this out, but if somebody is being questioned over an alleged assault in the UK, they get charged/arrested. I think its really the same as being questioned under caution. It doesnt neccesarily mean that they'll face charges, or that the police are convinced they're guilty. Its serious, but not as bad YET as it sounds at first glance.

Having said that, if he did raise a hand to them, even under severe provocation, he deserves to get the book thrown at him. I'm sure we'll find out more details soon enough. People at the hotel are bound to start talking.

Christian Bale Denies Assault Allegations

Christian Bale's attorneys released a statement Tuesday denying assault allegations that led to the actor's arrest in London:

"Christian Bale attended a London police station today, on a voluntary basis, in order to assist with an allegation that had been made against him to the police by his mother and sister," the star's lawyers said in the statement. "Mr. Bale who denies the allegation, co-operated throughout, gave his account in full of the events in question, and has left the station without any charge being made against him by the police. At this time, there will be no further comment by Mr. Bale."

I'm not sure if anybody else has pointed this out, but if somebody is being questioned over an alleged assault in the UK, they get charged/arrested. I think its really the same as being questioned under caution. It doesnt neccesarily mean that they'll face charges, or that the police are convinced they're guilty. Its serious, but not as bad YET as it sounds at first glance.

Agreed. He's been bailed and will return in September when the police, after investigating the matter further, will either charge him or drop the whole thing. I tell myself that if there was real substance to this, they would have fled the hotel and called the police immediately. Instead they returned to their home in the sticks (Dorset? Hampshire?) and went to the local police the next day (Monday). The local fuzz batted it back to the Met.

Having said that, if he did raise a hand to them, even under severe provocation, he deserves to get the book thrown at him.

Absolutely.

I'm sure we'll find out more details soon enough. People at the hotel are bound to start talking.

Well, there are rumours from "hotel security" already, but not sure how reliable they are. The press will bear down on the family and ferret out any dirt.

One thing I find unpleasant is the attitude on some boards that because CB is private, he must be Hiding!Something!. Because he lives quietly he is therefore Secretive!. Have we become so accustomed to publicity whores that any other sort of behaviour strikes us as suspicious, and even guilty?

He was accused of verbal assault. Ha, I verbally assault people on a daily freakin basis..... I need to stay the hell out of the UK! How dare they arrest him for talking smack but they wont arrest Crackhouse and Doperty for doing smack. Ridiculous.

He was accused of verbal assault. Ha, I verbally assault people on a daily freakin basis..... I need to stay the hell out of the UK! How dare they arrest him for talking smack but they wont arrest Crackhouse and Doperty for doing smack. Ridiculous.

How bad could a verbal assault be that you have to call the police the day after, when any possible threat is gone? Especially as its a family member. if its continual harassment, then yes I can see why you might, or even should. But couldn't they just opt to cut contact if it was so bad. That's what I would do. Especially as this all occured in his hotel, not on their patch. Its not as if he came after them. Its not nice, & you mightn't want to be around them but calling the police is kinda extreme. Maybe they are in the right, but if this verbal assault report is right i'm not really seeling it unless something more comes out.

I don't think we can blame the police here. Once a complaint is made they have to investigate. The "arrest" is a more of a matter of procedure, & allows CB to have a solicitor present etc. Its for his protection as much as anything else. It just sounds really bad.

Edited by N17

Batman busted by boys in blue

By MIKE SULLIVAN

and JAMIE PYATT

BATMAN actor Christian Bale attended the blockbuster premiere of The Dark Knight with the shadow of arrest and an allegedly violent family row hanging over him.

Police decided to let him attend the glittering bash just hours after his mum Jenny and sister Sharon accused him of assault.

But yesterday the British-born star was arrested after he voluntarily went to a London police station.

Cops spent four hours grilling him over the assault claim before he was released on bail without charge.

He denies the allegation.

Bale, 34, had booked his relatives into the five-star Dorchester Hotel in London’s West End so they could attend Monday night’s premiere.

But they hurriedly left and returned home to Dorset on Monday morning, just hours after Sunday night’s alleged bust-up.

A hotel insider said: “There were no problems in any public areas. The family left very hurriedly and without saying much to each other, but the news about this so-called assault was a shock. Nobody here had a clue.”

Mum Jenny, 61 — a part-time clown — is said to have claimed she was pushed over during the row, which broke out in Bale’s suite when they returned after a meal at a restaurant.

After Jenny and Sharon reported the alleged assault, police faced a dilemma over whether to arrest him before the premiere of the new Batman movie.

Bale was eventually allowed to walk down the red carpet with wife Sibi as adoring fans screamed his name.

He joined co-stars including Sir Michael Caine at the cinema in Leicester Square — but it is understood he knew that his relatives had fled and he faced arrest the next morning.

Detectives contacted his agent and Bale went to the police station in posh Belgravia just before noon yesterday.

The actor was given VIP treatment as his people carrier was allowed to sweep in through a back entrance, avoiding waiting photographers.

But once inside Bale had his photo, fingerprints and a DNA saliva sample taken.

After being questioned for more than four hours, the Los Angeles-based star was released on bail pending further inquiries.

He is due to report back to police in September.

His solicitors, London law firm Schillings, said in a statement: “Christian Bale attended a police station to assist with an allegation made against him by his mother and sister. Mr Bale, who denies the allegation, co-operated throughout.”

Jenny, of Bournemouth, said: “There was a family situation but the police are handling it and I cannot say any more. We didn’t call the police to the scene.”

Sharon, of Wimborne, Dorset, said: “There was an incident but the police are dealing with it. It is an extremely sensitive situation.”

Bale grew up in England until he was 13, when his parents split and he went to live in California with dad David.

In an interview in 2005, Jenny spoke of her pride at her son’s success and told how she was looking forward to attending the Batman Begins premiere.

She added: “Christian always receives me with open arms and has never shunned me.”

Heath Ledger, 28, who played The Joker, died from an accidental drug overdose shortly after filming finished, and a special effects technician was killed in an accident during filming.

m.sullivan@the-sun.co.uk

[in an interview in 2005, Jenny spoke of her pride at her son’s success and told how she was looking forward to attending the Batman Begins premiere.

She added: “Christian always receives me with open arms and has never shunned me.”

m.sullivan@the-sun.co.uk

Why would he shun you? WTF? Why would a mother add a comment like that into an interview? :ph34r:

[in an interview in 2005, Jenny spoke of her pride at her son’s success and told how she was looking forward to attending the Batman Begins premiere.

m.sullivan@the-sun.co.uk

Why would he shun you? WTF? Why would a mother add a comment like that into an interview? :ph34r:

Maybe he SHOULD shun her...

I read today that his mother works as a part-time clown... :blink:

Christian Bale "Flew off the Handle" After Mom Insulted Wife

Wednesday July 23, 2008

Christian Bale lashed out at his 61-year-old mother after she insulted his wife, Sibi, London's Daily Mail reports.

Citing "sources close to the actor," the paper claims he "flew off the handle" at London's Dorchester hotel Sunday after Jenny Bale said "some outrageous things."

The source added: "Christian was stressed, but he didn’t lay a finger on anyone. He just got very loud.

"Christian's attitude is that this was his mother's fault because she became very provocative in an argument they were having," the source added. "Things got out of control and he now says he wishes he just left the room.

"Normally Christian would just call a friend and go out to a pub to cool off," the source said. "But he was literally trapped into this confrontation with his mother and sister because there was an army of fans and paparazzi outside."

Bale, 34 — who is expected to attend the premiere of The Dark Knight in Barcelona on Wednesday — was arrested Tuesday after turning himself into police for questioning.

His attorney denied the assault claims, adding that the actor "left the station without any charge being made against him by the police."

His sister Sharon said Tuesday: "The police are dealing with it. It is an extremely sensitive situation. There is nothing more I can say."

Meanwhile, TMZ.com reports that the actor recently lost his cool on the set of Terminator 4 when the director of cinematography reportedly screwed up a shot.

The site claims he screamed "I will kick your a--," along with other profanities.

The actor also snapped at an Us Weekly reporter at the NYC premiere of The Dark Knight on July 14.

Asked if co-star Heath Ledger would nab an Oscar for his role as the Joker, Bale snipped, "Anybody’s an a--hole, who would try to predict that," before walking off.

Cash, Money, Moms: Why Bale Was Busted

TMZ

Christian BaleSources tell TMZ Christian Bale has had a long-standing difficult relationship with his mom and Bale's camp believes the motivation for the whole assault charge may be $$$.

We're told when Christian's mom and dad divorced nearly two decades ago, his mom forced him to choose between the two. Christian picked his dad, and father and son moved out to L.A. in 1992, where his dad became his manager.

Somehow Bale's relationship with the mom has been "bitter" ever since. Bale has told friends his mother was extremely jealous of both his and his dad's success.

Last Sunday, Bale let his mom and sis into his hotel suite, though it was by no means an olive branch. As we first reported, there was physical contact, but somewhere in between a push and a brush. No one fell and no one was hurt.

Christian's camp thinks this could be nothing more than a shakedown. We're told some newspapers and mags have already been throwing around "insane" amounts of money for the story, so mom and sis could score big.

But our sources say the cops are starting to see the whole thing Christian's way, and the charges could disappear faster than Batman

Christian Bale 'flew off the handle after family begged for £100k'

By Dan Newling, Mark Coleman and Liz Thomas

Last updated at 9:55 AM on 24th July 2008

Batman star Christian Bale argued with his sister after she asked him for £100,000 to help raise her children, it was alleged today.

The 34-year-old Batman star is reported to have snubbed the plea and allegedly 'pushed and shoved' Sharon and his mother Jenny, 61, during a row in his suite at the Dorchester Hotel on Monday.

A source told The Sun: 'Christian is a very wealthy man and was asked to help his sister out financially.

'He was asked to loan her £100,000 but he refused and it caused an almighty row.'

Jenny Bale is also said to have made highly disparaging comments about the star's glamorous wife of eight years, Sibi, 38, a former make-up artist and model.

Last night, Bale attended the Spanish premiere of The Dark Knight in Barcelona, but refused to speak to reporters and made no comment about the incident.

The astonishing family feud is said to have happened on Sunday evening in Bale's £6,000-a-night suite at the Dorchester hotel in central London.

The women, who live relatively modest lifestyles in Dorset, were in capital to attend the following day's premiere of the latest Batman film, The Dark Knight.

However, the family group started to argue about money.

A friend told the Daily Mail said: 'Things got out of control and he now says he wishes he just left the room. Normally Christian would just call a friend and go out to a pub to cool off.

'But he was literally trapped into this confrontation with his mother and sister because there was an army of paparazzi and fans outside.'

Although police were informed about Sunday's incident, they decided to wait until they had spoken to the alleged victims before questioning Bale.

Jenny and Sharon Bale gave their statements to police on Monday and on Tuesday

Bale spent nearly five hours at Belgravia police station in central London.

Though Jenny Bale - who formerly worked as a circus clown and now is a reflexologist - has previously spoken of her pride in her son, the two do not appear to be especially close.

Christian Bale's parents split up when he was 13. Four years later, while his mother Jenny stayed in Bournemouth, Christian followed his father David to live in America.

In stark contrast to Bale's multimillionaire Hollywood lifestyle, Jenny Bale lives in a modest £275,000, detached house in Southbourne, Dorset. She drives a VW Beetle decorated with angelwing motifs.

She has worked a dancer, a sword-eater's assistant and has played the Queen of Hearts at an Alice in Wonderland children's theme park.

She brought up Christian and his two sisters Louise and Sharon among a menagerie of family pets, including 12 cats, six dogs, two ponies, 24 guinea pigs, two rabbits and several stick insects.

Christian Bale married Sandra 'Sibi' Blazic, 38, in 2000 after the couple met when she was working as a personal assistant to the actress Winona Ryder on the film Little Women. They have a three-year-old daughter.

Yesterday one source close to Christian Bale revealed that the couple had recently been experiencing marital problems.

The actor is also said to have been in a fragile state of mind following the death of his friend Heath Ledger, who also stars in The Dark Knight film, from a drugs overdose.

Recently he also complained that he had been depressed and suffering from insomnia.

Yesterday neither Jenny nor Sharon Bale - who lives very near her mother in a £240,000 semi-detached home - were willing to comment.

www.dailymail.co.uk

This story is a little inconsistent with the one above: the one above says that Christian went to live with his dad -- so how is it possible that she raised him.

AS for his sister, I can almost guarantee that if you had the balls to ask me for money, and then insult my spouse after I turned you down, that I would probably fly off the handle too.

100K to help raise the kids? Where is dad, why is it Christian's obligation, and where does it stop?

Sounds like the sister played the timing of her request thinking that he wouldn't turn her down the night before the premier. Wrong.

It's pretty harsh to go to the police and claim assault! No wonder they did it in their own neighborhood. So they'll get their money from the tabloids unless he can pay to shut them up. I wouldn't. I'd let them have their say and then they'll disappear. And he'll never give them the opportunity to be near him again.

I'm so sad for him - for your own mother and sister to do that to you!

It's pretty harsh to go to the police and claim assault! No wonder they did it in their own neighborhood. So they'll get their money from the tabloids unless he can pay to shut them up. I wouldn't. I'd let them have their say and then they'll disappear. And he'll never give them the opportunity to be near him again.

i had heard on the radio this morning that they didn't call -- people in the room next door called.

i had heard on the radio this morning that they didn't call -- people in the room next door called.

If that's true, surely it'd all have went down with the police on the sunday night? I know they can be slow, but its a bit late even by their standards to be responding to a call like that the next day.

And even if somehow this did happen, wouldn't his family just say to the police it was a row nothing more??