Sign in to follow this  
ElleDriver

Linkin Park

Linkin Park singer's stalker sentenced

A woman who stalked Linkin Park lead singer Chester Bennington was sentenced Wednesday to two years in prison for using her work computer at Sandia National Laboratories to track and harass him and his wife.

Devon Townsend has 60 days to surrender to a minimum-security prison in Phoenix, where she is expected to receive mental health care. She had pleaded guilty to stalking and other counts.

Townsend, who worked in Sandia's technology and manufacturing group, used lab computers to illegally access private information about Bennington and his wife, Talinda, in 2006.

According to a plea agreement, Townsend said she obtained family photos, monitored voice messages and traveled to Arizona to meet Bennington, using information she learned about his travel plans. She also obtained correspondence between Warner Bros. Records and Linkin Park's business attorney, including a copy of a check made to Bennington from the record company and a copy of the band's recording contract.

Investigators said Townsend also hacked into the e-mail of Bennington's wife and at one point called the former Playboy model and threatened her.

Linkin Park gets close to their fans

The night before they were set to play for thousands of people at one of the world's most famous venues, Linkin Park performed a midnight show for a small group of fans in an unlikely venue — an Apple store.

The rock-rap group did a short but energetic set, including hits such as "Bleed It Out," for about 200 fans early Thursday, just hours before their show that evening at Madison Square Garden.

"We're actually in the middle of our first U.S. arena tour in years," guitarist Brad Delson told The Associated Press. "So this stands in stark contrast to those and it's nice to be able to switch to a really intimate environment here at the Mac store in SoHo and to do a really special performance for some of our biggest fans."

The concert, which ran about 30 minutes, will be available on iTunes next month. While that's quick compared with the months it takes for an album release, it's relatively slow given Linkin Park's recent musical output. Fans who buy tickets to their shows can opt to get a digital release of the entire concert a few hours later.

"The special thing about this, the thing that we were really excited about is that it's mixed by our official mixer," said keyboardist and guitarist Mike Shinoda. "It's not your cell phone recording. ... It's the kind of mix that we (would) put out if we put out a live CD."

The band decided to release the live recordings after becoming frustrated by the poor-quality videos of their shows that were popping up on the Internet.

"What we said is, `Let's be proactive and actually do great mixes of every show so that the fans that are there have access to a stellar version of what they heard,'" Delson said.

Linkin Park is known for having a close connection with fans. After the show at the Apple store, the audience screamed out for more music. Shinoda said: "I got a deal — we can play one more song or we can sign for you."

The answer was fast and easy: The crowd responded, "Sign!" Band members scribbled autographs and mingled with fans for at least 15 minutes afterward.

Bennington's Suicide Threat

LINKIN PARK frontman CHESTER BENNINGTON contemplated suicide after his first marriage broke down - because he was deep in the grip of alcoholism.

The singer split from his wife Samantha, the mother of his son Draven, in 2005 after nine years together.

Bennington fell apart after the break-up because he was furious about their divorce settlement, and he turned to booze and drugs as a way out, drinking to the point where he could no longer "function."

He tells Britain's Kerrang! magazine, "Leaving my wife was the easy part - the difficult part was losing all my money, starting my life over and having to pay the person I didn't want to be around in the first place. I felt like my life's work had been given away. I drank myself to the point where I couldn't leave the house and I couldn't function. I wanted to kill myself. I could very easily not be the person who's sitting herre right now. I could be dead. It was a horrible, horrible existence."

Bennington subsequently spent several stints in rehab and now claims to be completely sober, but he's still haunted by his past.

He adds, "There are still things I struggle with. I don't like being an alcoholic. (It's) my biggest enemy."

Source contactmusic