princess

Celeb Acts of Charity

people.com

Dennis Quaid sure knows how to party. Instead of just throwing a golf tournament for charity in Austin, he made a weekend of it, with a fashion show featuring Hugo Boss designs, a "Starry, Starry Night" party and auction and three days of golf at the Avery Ranch Golf Club. Among those who showed up for the various events (benefiting the Austin Children's Shelter, Austin-based Any Baby Can, the Children's Medical Center of Central Texas and The International Hospital for Children): Keanu Reeves, Greg Kinnear, Stephen Dorff (who will appear in the fall in Alone in the Dark with Tara Reid), 24's Carlos Bernard and Alias's Carl Lumbly. Of course, what we really wanted to know was, when's the newly engaged Quaid getting hitched (to bank exec Kim Buffington)? "C'mon now, even if I knew the date, do you really think I'd tell you guys?" said the Day After Tomorrow star, flashing us his signature mischievous grin. Well, yeah, we did. Stay tuned ...

EOnline.com

FOR A GOOD CAUSE: Donald Trump donating admission for two to his annual Mar-A-Lago tennis tourney as part of the Prostate Cancer Foundation's "Because You Love Him" charity auction on eBay. Lunch with Nick Lachey and Avril Lavigne also up for bids.

Posted Image

Bette Milder (right) shows Sarah Jessica Parker some appreciation at a New York Restoration Project gala in Manhattan's Swindler Cove Park on Thursday. The organization, founded by Midler in 1995, restores and develops the city's open spaces.

Saw Bette on The Actor's Studio talking about her charity work, she's very passionate about it.

Posted Image

Ice, ice baby: Michael Vartan shows off some fancy skate-work Saturday at the HBO All Star Family Sports Jam in Santa Monica, Calif., which benefited Childrens Hospital Los Angeles. The Alias star and avid hockey player was on a break from filming the romantic comedy Monster-in-Law with Jennifer Lopez.

Posted Image

Elizabeth Hurley and Sharon Osbourne at the The 6th Annual White Tie & Tiara Ball to Benefit the Elton John Aids Foundation in Association with Chopard.

Posted Image

Kate Moss at the The 6th Annual White Tie & Tiara Ball to Benefit the Elton John Aids Foundation in Association with Chopard.

Posted Image

Trudie Styler and Sting at the The 6th Annual White Tie & Tiara Ball to Benefit the Elton John Aids Foundation in Association with Chopard.

EOnline.com

FOR A GOOD CAUSE: Lenny Kravitz and Avril Lavigne among those performing at a show in London's Hyde Park Sunday thrown by Prince Charles with proceeds benefiting the Prince's Trust charity.

EOnline.com

HERE KITTY, KITTY: Country star LeAnn Rimes kicking off Friskies More Cat Habitat Shelter Program Thursday in Long Island, helping cat lovers cast their votes at Friskies.com for the 10 shelters that will receive $10,000 grants. The program aims to help shelter cats live happier, healthier lives.

LENDING A HAND: Wyclef Jean planning a December 5 benefit concert in his native Haiti to promote peace, love and understanding. Proceeds will go toward stabilizing the Caribbean nation.

EOnline.com HOLLYWOOD FOR SALE: The Actors' Fund of America will kick off its Auction of 1000 Stars 2004 next week. Fans can bid online for hundreds of entertainment- and sports-related items, ranging from boxing gloves autographed by Muhammad Ali to the first script from Knots Landing. To bid or view auction items log on to www.auctionof1000stars.org.

people.comGoing Once ...Want a two-hour tap-dancing lesson with Tony Danza ? (Come on, admit it ...) Don't worry, you can feel good about it: Said lesson ? and several other celeb goodies ? are up for auction on eBay through Sept. 24, with proceeds going to the Partnership Against Child Abuse. Some of the other offerings include tickets to the premiere of the upcoming Jennifer Aniston movie Otherwise Engaged, lunch with teen star Raven Symone and a visit to the set of her TV show That's So Raven, a guitar autographed by the members of Maroon 5, lunch with rocker Melissa Etheridge and more.

people.comChristina Ricci, Billy Crudup, Amanda Peet, Fisher Stevens, Anna Paquin and Brooke Shields were among the stars who took to the stage for The 24 Hour Plays, a collection of short plays that are conceived, written, rehearsed and performed within a 24-hour period to benefit the Working Playground, a nonprofit group that brings the arts to New York City public schools. The audience, including Claire Danes and Law & Order: SVU's Mariska Hargitay, watched the star-studded cast perform love stories, dramatic tales and comedy.

Dinner Datespeople.comDying to dine with Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck or Benjamin Bratt? Now's your chance. The three sexy stars ? plus Ricky Martin, Sarah Jessica Parker and others ? are auctioning off dinner with themselves to raise money for the charity of their choice. (Parker is dining for UNICEF and NY Restoration Project, Affleck for the A-T Children's Project ... you get the idea.) Bidding for the "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" project is taking place on an eBay-run Web site accessible through sponsor Godiva's site, through Oct. 3.

Posted Image

SERVED UP

Matthew Perry uses his backhand for a good cause: The Friends star, who was a competitive tennis player as a teen, joined in the Racquet Rumble 2004 Celebrity Tennis Tournament in Pacific Palisades, Calif., on Sunday, raising money for the T.J. Martell Foundation, an organization dedicated to leukemia, cancer and AIDS research.

STARS FOR SALE

October 04, 2004

Provided by: [star Online]

How much would you pay to have dinner in Boston with Ben Affleck and eight of your best buds? Or supper with Sarah Jessica Parker in New York City? How about a fivecourse meal in Miami with Ricky Martin? Those stars, as well as Leonardo DiCaprio and Benjamin Bratt, are taking part in Godiva Chocolate's "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" auction, posted on eBay on Sept. 23. The bidding ends Oct. 3 and proceeds from the auction go to the charity of the star's choice. As of Sept. 27, Parker led the pack with a bid of $25,300, followed by Affleck ($15,800), Martin ($12,800), DiCaprio ($7,400) and Bratt ($2,650). Jody Lang, 33, an investor from Miami Beach who, at press time, had the highest bid for dinner with Martin, told Star People that she thinks "He's a great, inspirational person." Lang said that while it would be nice to have her friends and family dine with her and the heartthrob, should she win the auction, "I'd love a few minutes of alone time."

Page Six

TWICE AS NICE

FEW performers could normally raise $270,000 in just five minutes. But who considers Robin Williams normal? A bidding war for dinner with the star and his wife broke out at the Andre Agassi Foundation din ner at the MGM Grand over the week end. While Faith Hill, Tim McGraw and Ray Romano looked on, two anonymous bidders battled for Wil liams. But when the price hit $140,000, Williams jumped on stage and said, "Well, one night can turn to two. I'll give one night to you people bidding 140 and another night to that guy over there bidding 130." The night's total pull for children's charities was $6.1 million.

people.com

CONTRIBUTED: Matthew Perry and comedian Richard Pryor have added to the reward (which so far stands at $12,000) for information leading to the arrest of the person who drowned a golden retriever in the surf on the Massachusetts coast, AP reports. The dog was found on Sept. 21 by a person walking on the beach in Nahant, Mass. "It's important to raise the awareness that cruelty to animals is just not tolerable," says Linda Horsley, a local pet sitter who is helping to organize the reward efforts with the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

AFFLECK GIVES HUNDREDS OF EXPECTANT DADS A SURPRISE GIFTsfgate.comHollywood hunk Ben Affleck showed off his generous side during an appearance on Oprah Winfrey's talk show, when he gave 640 expectant dads their own diaper bags.Affleck was beamed to hundreds of fans in a pre-recorded message for Winfrey's show on Monday, when she hosted a huge baby shower for the pregnant wives of 640 American soldiers based at Kentucky's Fort Campbell.He joked, "Oprah called me and told me that she was having the world's biggest shower with 700 women, so imagine my excitement when I thought I was gonna get to come down there and take a shower with 700 of you."Believe me, I wanted to get on the plane! To my embarrassment, they told me, 'No, no, it's a baby shower,' and I guess that's something a little different. Anyway they decided it maybe was best to keep me back home."He then announced he had bought the women's husbands Diaper Dads, which prompted them all to scream with delight.Denise Richards, Heather Locklear, Sharon Stone and Elle MacPherson also spoke to the women via tape and handed over gifts, while Cindy Crawford, Martina McBride and Kenny Chesney gave their presents out in person.But generous Winfrey stole the show when she announced that Johnson & Johnson plans to give each of the women $1,000 to fly in a friend or family member for the birth.

FERGIE TO BARE ALL

sfgate.com

Provocative British royal The Duchess of York has stripped for charity.

Sarah Ferguson, who turned 45 on Friday, posed in only Cartier jewels and a pair of designer stilettos for a book that will raise funds for Sir Elton John's AIDS Foundation.

The upcoming "Four Inches" book will reportedly contain various other celebrities and models, like Rebecca Romijn, Lara Flynn Boyle, Rachel Hunter and Kate Moss.

All of the ladies pose in nothing but high heels and expensive jewelry.

The photo book is expected to hit bookshelves next year.

Angelina Jolie Shocked by Sudan Visit

Thursday Oct 28, 2004 9:00am EST

By Todd Peterson

people.com

Posted Image

CREDIT: UNHCR VIA GETTY/NEWSCOM

Following a three-day visit to the Darfur region in the African nation of Sudan, actress Angelina Jolie described the conditions she witnessed as "unbelievably horrible."

Jolie, who serves as a goodwill ambassador for a U.N. refugee agency, has visited refugees in war-torn countries around the world. But she told reporters that the situation in Darfur eclipses any that she has seen so far, Reuters reports.

"I'd say this is the worst situation I've seen ? it is just one of the worst things that has happened on the planet to a people," she said.

The fighting in Darfur has displaced more than a million and a half people, according to U.N. estimates, and has resulted in one of the world's worst humanitarian crises. The United States has called the violence in that country genocide.

Jolie said that the unrest in that country is difficult to understand, but that there is nowhere in the region that is completely safe. And even though aid is coming in, Jolie said, "it is not a finished situation ? it's very much going on now."

Jolie, who will next appear in Oliver Stone's Alexander, due Nov. 24, called for international aid to help the organizations that are offering assistance in that country.

Posted Image

Singer Tony Bennett, right, sings "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" as San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom applauds Monday, Oct. 25, 2004, in San Francisco. Bennett unveiled the heart he created for "Hearts in SF," benefiting the San Francisco General Hospital Foundation, which is one of 130 hearts that decorated San Francisco's public areas this year. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)

Cause Celebpeople.comExactly how big a fan of your favorite star are you? So much so that you would want a stapler with their autograph on it? If you answered yes, today is your lucky day. Office supply giant Staples is launching an auction of ? you guessed it ? celebrity-signed staplers, with proceeds going to charities selected by the stars. Just who would participate in such a thing? Adrien Brody (who signed his from the New Zealand set of King Kong), Kate Bosworth and Naomi Watts (who both donated their proceeds to the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS foundation), Paris Hilton, Orlando Bloom, Meryl Streep, Cher, Samuel L. Jackson, Liv Tyler, Helen Hunt, Tiger Woods and Heather Graham, among others. The auction, live today and running through Dec. 6, is on Staples' Web site. Happy stapling ...

Museum Ball 2004 in New York City

Posted Image

Jessica Seinfeld and Sarah Jessica Parker

Posted Image

Karolina Kurkova

Posted Image

Billy Joel and Kate Lee Joel

people.com

How much do you love your favorite star? No, really, how much? In a charity auction on eBay sponsored by Godiva, fans had the chance to bid on dinner parties with stars including Ben Affleck, Leonardo DiCaprio, Benjamin Bratt and Sarah Jessica Parker ? but the one who inspired the largest bid was Ricky Martin. Fan Jody Lang is so loca for the Latin singer that she bid $47,200 for him (the money will go to the Ricky Martin Foundation) ? and she cashed in her win last weekend, dining with Martin at Chef Allen's in Aventura, Fla. So what's it like to know that someone spent that much to dine with you? "We were thinking about it on the way (to the restaurant) and it's like, what are we going to do, we have to do something besides this," said Martin. But Lang, 34, who was decked out in a red dress to meet Martin, seemed happy just to feast with the heartthrob. "It's a ton of money but it's a dream come true and an opportunity of a lifetime," said Lang, a consultant. "For that, I don't know if you can really put a price on it. He represents so much to me. He's an international spokesman who works with children. I'm an avid salsa and Latin dancer. I love his music. At his shows, he has a way to bring everyone together no matter what your background. He has this infectious power that is just beautiful." And, "he's taller than I thought."

people.com

Cause Celeb

Thin-again Bridget Jones star Renee Zellweger did her part recently to make sure others have enough to eat when she joined up with Barbara Walters, Paula Zahn, Kathleen Turner and Ivana Trump at a luncheon benefiting Citymeals-On-Wheels. "I have a lot of affection for this charity," Zellweger tells us of the organization, which provides hand-delivered meals for New York City's homebound elderly. "It's such an easy way to make a contribution that is substantial and can be felt immediately. I hope that people feel inspired because it's such an easy thing to do." The event, which raised more than $850,000, was co-anchored by Zahn and her daughter, Haley Cohen. Zahn says she remembers friends Gloria Steinem and Liz Smith encouraging her to come to the program about seven years ago and hasn't missed one since. "The most extraordinary thing about this program is, not only are we feeding people, but a lot of the people who receive the meals have no contact with any other human being than those who deliver their meals."

EOnline.com

FOR A GOOD CAUSE: The Grammy Foundation and MusiCares launching the "Hope for the Holidays Online Charity Auction" on eBay from Nov. 29 through Dec. 9. The auction will include music and entertainment memorabilia from such celebs as Beyoncé, Bono, Aerosmith and Madonna among many others.

people.com

Cause Celeb

Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn, Nicole Richie, Nicollette Sheridan and Eliza Dushku were among the celebs who got an early holiday gift of their own ? in the form of a performance by multiplatinum-selling rapper LL Cool J ? at Motorola's recent Toys for Tots benefit at the Music Box Theater in Hollywood. Guests were asked to bring a small toy to donate to the charity (which distributes an average of 8 million toys annually), and once onstage, LL pledged $10,000 to the cause and asked for people in the audience to match it. Also at the show were new couple Danny Masterson and Bijou Phillips, Rachel Hunter, Shannon Elizabeth, Jennie Garth, Samaire Armstrong, Kelly Osbourne and Lance Bass.