annabeast

Biggest Loser - Families

I'm on the fence as to the real reason why Joelle was kept over Damien. Of the two, she does need to be there more (which is how last week's vote was rationalized) but I'm not so sure that Jillian's folks were voting out of benevolence. Getting rid of a strong competitor and keeping a distraction of that nature all in one stroke was good game play for when it eventually goes to team Bob/team Jillian.

I'm on the fence as to the real reason why Joelle was kept over Damien. Of the two, she does need to be there more (which is how last week's vote was rationalized) but I'm not so sure that Jillian's folks were voting out of benevolence. Getting rid of a strong competitor and keeping a distraction of that nature all in one stroke was good game play for when it eventually goes to team Bob/team Jillian.

I haven't been watching the show, but Joelle does have a strange demeanor. I didn't even hear her say "Thank you" after the vote. It sure looked like she wanted to go home.

Getting rid of a strong competitor and keeping a distraction of that nature all in one stroke was good game play for when it eventually goes to team Bob/team Jillian.

Oh, I'm convinced that this is the reason. It makes me dislike Jillian's team because Joelle really deserved the boot, rather than Damien.

It didn't look like he'd lost nearly as much weight as Jerry has since leaving the show.

I think it is way too early in the program to be playing the game. Joelle does not want to be there, they asked her team's opinion and deliberately and collectively went against it. When the producers decide to mix things up a bit and change the teams around- as they always do- these people will regret this decision.

I think it is way too early in the program to be playing the game. Joelle does not want to be there, they asked her team's opinion and deliberately and collectively went against it. When the producers decide to mix things up a bit and change the teams around- as they always do- these people will regret this decision.

Agreed. Joelle will probably be next.

Agreed. Joelle will probably be next.

It wouldn't surprise me if Joelle is somehow around until the bitter end. The twists and turns of the past few seasons in particular have served one and only one purpose: to get/keep select folks that generate lots of audience buzz (good or bad) in the game until the finale.

Branchop, you called it. Weren't the Orange and Brown teams in on the vote to keep Joelle? Serves them right, although I think it is sad that Dan is gone. I'm not watching the whole show, so there is a lot I miss, so someone let me know their impression of the brown team young man... did he deserve to stay? Also, why were the brown and black teams intact when all the other teams had to send someone home?

Weren't the Orange and Brown teams in on the vote to keep Joelle? Serves them right, although I think it is sad that Dan is gone. I'm not watching the whole show, so there is a lot I miss, so someone let me know their impression of the brown team young man... did he deserve to stay? Also, why were the brown and black teams intact when all the other teams had to send someone home?

I wasn't watching closely, but I think the decision went on a straight Bob/Jillian lines, so that everyone who voted for the brown team was on Bob's team and everyone who voted for orange was on Jillian's team. (Similarly, the brown team would have voted to eliminate Joelle, while orange would have voted to eliminate Damian.)

The reason that brown and black had two team members goes back to the first episode. At the weigh-in they were informed that every team would be sending one of its members home, except the team that had won immunity (black team) and the team with the highest percentage of weight loss (brown team).

I'm glad that more of the family members are back.

Branchop, you called it. Weren't the Orange and Brown teams in on the vote to keep Joelle? Serves them right, although I think it is sad that Dan is gone. I'm not watching the whole show, so there is a lot I miss, so someone let me know their impression of the brown team young man... did he deserve to stay? Also, why were the brown and black teams intact when all the other teams had to send someone home?

Thanks annabeast! The Brown team did not vote to keep Joelle, they thought that the other guy wanted to be there more. However the brown team, especially the dad, was INSTRUMENTAL in keeping Dan on the show when he was on the block last. I think the brown team really wants to stay and they motivate each other. Dan's best friend had no desire to stay on the ranch and was fine with going home. So Tara (green team), who I liked until now, pulled the "I can't believe you don't want to be here, and I think you should so I am not voting you off" speech. This was such crap....

As much as Dan should have been there, I never saw much effort on his part. The right team stayed this time.

Edited by branchop

Thanks annabeast! The Brown team did not vote to keep Joelle, they thought that the other guy wanted to be there more. However the brown team, especially the dad, was INSTRUMENTAL in keeping Dan on the show when he was on the block last. I think the brown team really wants to stay and they motivate each other. Dan's best friend had no desire to stay on the ranch and was fine with going home. So Tara (green team), who I liked until now, pulled the "I can't believe you don't want to be here, and I think you should so I am not voting you off" speech. This was such crap....

As much as Dan should have been there, I never saw much effort on his part. The right team stayed this time.

I'm not sure I agree about Dan not putting up much effort. Granted, he didn't rival most of the other contestants, but I suspect that prior to his stint on the ranch that his physical activity was minimal at best. He may not now (or ever) be a marathoner, but to go from totally sedentary to asking Jillian to amp up the treadmill to 7 MPH as he did last week is an exponential improvement from where he started.

I too am on the fence about Tara. It feels like the powers that be are trying to paint her as the next Ali Vincent (season 5 winner), which would be OK except for the fact that the whole "let's bring someone back" twist has always rubbed me as a lame attempt to bring The Chosen One back in to the game.

I'm not sure I agree about Dan not putting up much effort. Granted, he didn't rival most of the other contestants, but I suspect that prior to his stint on the ranch that his physical activity was minimal at best. He may not now (or ever) be a marathoner, but to go from totally sedentary to asking Jillian to amp up the treadmill to 7 MPH as he did last week is an exponential improvement from where he started.

I too am on the fence about Tara. It feels like the powers that be are trying to paint her as the next Ali Vincent (season 5 winner), which would be OK except for the fact that the whole "let's bring someone back" twist has always rubbed me as a lame attempt to bring The Chosen One back in to the game.

Who is The Chosen ONe? I really need to watch this show, but the two hours gets to me sometimes.

^^The Chosen One is my term for the person who seems to benefit directly from the various twists, turns, and challenges that the producers come up with on their way to the Final 3. I know that the powers that be can't legally "fix" the show, but it really strikes me as odd that so many of the challenges and twists in season 5 played to Ali's strengths once she got back in the game to ensure she'd make it to the Final 3. (Finding a way to get her back in the game after being eliminated-- something that I understand was never done previously-- is the most blatant example of this in my mind.) Likewise, the challenges and twists in season 6 really seemed to play to milking as much drama as possible out of Vicky, Heba, et al's axis of evil on their way to the Final 3. I can't speak to any other seasons as I really didn't watch the show prior to that, but I totally get the feeling that this season is heavily tilted towards Tara making it to the final 3.

I apologize for the confusion over armchair speculation from a conspiracy theorist...I still find the show incredibly inspiring despite my tirade above.

:D

Edited by Maxiemom

I really need to watch this show, but the two hours gets to me sometimes.

I record the show and then fast forward through all the commercials and repetitions -- I swear it's less than 1 hour if you do!

^^The Chosen One is my term for the person who seems to benefit directly from the various twists, turns, and challenges that the producers come up with on their way to the Final 3. I know that the powers that be can't legally "fix" the show, but it really strikes me as odd that so many of the challenges and twists in season 5 played to Ali's strengths once she got back in the game to ensure she'd make it to the Final 3. (Finding a way to get her back in the game after being eliminated-- something that I understand was never done previously-- is the most blatant example of this in my mind.) Likewise, the challenges and twists in season 6 really seemed to play to milking as much drama as possible out of Vicky, Heba, et al's axis of evil on their way to the Final 3. I can't speak to any other seasons as I really didn't watch the show prior to that, but I totally get the feeling that this season is heavily tilted towards Tara making it to the final 3.

I apologize for the confusion over armchair speculation from a conspiracy theorist...I still find the show incredibly inspiring despite my tirade above.

:D

Oh, I love it too. I'm weepy nearly every time I watch it. Or angry, as with last season (Vicky/Heba). Has anyone seen Michelle in any ads yet? I wonder if she gets the 24-hour fitness contract now.

As a Mom, I'm appalled that the daughter was sent home this week.

Agreed. I have not been a Helen fan from the outset, and the decision to send her daughter home-- again-- reeked of selfishness on Helen's part.

Helen and the yellow team need to go home ASAP.

Agreed. I have not been a Helen fan from the outset, and the decision to send her daughter home-- again-- reeked of selfishness on Helen's part.

I would like for all of them to go home, and I never thought I would say this, but I am getting tired of Tara dumping on her partner ....... made me wish they would fall below the yellow line and send her home.

my 2 cents worth

ok, back to lurking .....

I would like for all of them to go home, and I never thought I would say this, but I am getting tired of Tara dumping on her partner ....... made me wish they would fall below the yellow line and send her home.

my 2 cents worth

ok, back to lurking .....

I know what you mean, Selice, but I wonder about the creative editing when it comes to Tara. I haven't been watching enough to know if the theories about Tara being "the chosen one" are true, but she certainly fits the bill: they have a tendency to pick women who are beautiful because the "transformation" is even more stunning in that circumstance. Heck, even Heba from last year was very pretty, and they cleaned up Vicky well.

Hi Selice! Welcome to the thread. :hellowave:

I'm really not sure what to make of the green team dynamics in that they have been billed as "former models" from the outset-- not friends, cousins, etc., but models. How well did they know each other prior to the casting process? Are they two strangers who happen to have a profession in common and make for compelling TV? The true nature of their pre-ranch relationship would probably explain a lot about how they have been edited thus far.

OTOH, the previews from last week suggested that they will go to 2 teams this week so the Tara/Laura dynamic could all be a moot point by Wednesday.

Oh Bob, were you trying to make The Soup?

Bob is going to be downright bullshit next week, and with good cause.

Dumbest. Elimination. Ever.

I think they did. The finale is scheduled for May 12 (or 10 weeks out as of this post) and there are currently 11 contestants left on the ranch. If anything, I'm thinking that they have to bring 2 people back and have 1 week of no eliminations in order to ensure they have a final 4 leading in to the finale.

Great twist ending. But can someone enlighten me on why Mandi was singled out? The team seemed pretty in sync on that one rather quickly. Is she a whiner or something? (I can't sit through a whole two hours sometimes, although I did last night).

I thought Fillipe's breakdown was ridiculous. Jillian is a bitch, but ultimately he has responsibility for his workouts. Bob should have sent him back to his team.