Sign in to follow this  
BobbyD

Mickey Rourke?

Heath Ledger, Winslet, Rourke win Globes

‘Slumdog Millionaire’ and ‘Vicky Cristina Barcelona’ win best film awards

msnbc.com

NEW YORK - “Slumdog Millionaire” lived up to its underdog theme at Sunday’s Golden Globes, sweeping all four of its categories, including best drama and director for Danny Boyle.

Kate Winslet won two Globes all on her own, best dramatic actress for “Revolutionary Road” and supporting actress for “The Reader.” “The Wrestler” also had two, dramatic actor for Mickey Rourke and best song for Bruce Springsteen.

“Golden Globes, or the GGs as we very affectionately refer to them — your mad, pulsating affection for our film is much appreciated. Really, deeply appreciated,” Boyle said.

“Slumdog Millionaire” also won best screenplay and musical score, firming up its prospects for the Academy Awards. The film features a generally unknown cast in the story of an orphan boy in Mumbai who rises from terrible hardship to become a champ on India’s version of “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire,” all the while trying to reunite with a lost love from his childhood.

“We really weren’t expecting to be here in America at all at one time, so it’s just amazing to be here,” said Simon Beaufoy, whose winning script was adapted from Vikas Swarup’s novel “Q & A.”

Winslet is a double winner

Winslet, who has previously been nominated five times without winning at both the Globes and Oscars, won for her role as a woman in a crumbling marriage in “Revolutionary Road” and as a former Nazi concentration camp guard in “The Reader.”

“Revolutionary Road” was directed by Winslet’s husband, Sam Mendes, and reunited her with her “Titanic” co-star Leonardo DiCaprio.

To DiCaprio, Winslet gushed: “I’ve loved you for 13 years and your performance in this film is nothing short of spectacular.” To Mendes, she added: “Thank you for directing this film, babe, and thank you for killing us every single day and really enjoying us actually being in such horrific pain.”

Woody Allen’s Spanish romance “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” won for best musical or comedy film.

The three films that led the Globe field with five nominations each — “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” “Doubt” and “Frost/Nixon” — all were shut out.

Ledger receives posthumous award

As expected, the late Heath Ledger earned the supporting-actor Globe for his diabolical turn as the Joker in the Batman blockbuster “The Dark Knight.” The Globe win boosts Ledger’s prospects for the supporting-actor honor at the Oscars, whose nominations come out Jan. 22, the one-year anniversary of the actor’s death from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs.

The award was accepted by “The Dark Knight” director Christopher Nolan, who said he and his collaborators were buoyed by the enormous acclaim and acceptance the film and Ledger’s performance have gained worldwide.

“All of us who worked with Heath on ‘The Dark Knight’ accept with an awful mixture of sadness but incredible pride,” Nolan said. “After Heath passed, you saw a hole ripped in the future of cinema.”

Only one actor has ever won a posthumous Oscar, best-actor recipient Peter Finch for 1976’s “Network.”

Rourke won for a role as a former wrestling star who gets a last chance at glory in the ring, a theme that mirrors the actor’s life after he derailed his career with bad-boy behavior.

“It’s been a very long road back for me,” said Rourke, who poured out his thanks to “The Wrestler” director Darren Aronofsky.

“I’ve said this before, in sports especially which I can relate to, really, truly great players come around every 30 years, and I really, truly believe Darren is one of those cats,” Rourke said.

Other film winners

Other acting winners were Sally Hawkins as musical or comedy actress for her role as an eternal optimist in “Happy-Go-Lucky”; and Colin Farrell for musical or comedy actor for “In Bruges,” in which he plays a hit man laying low in a Belgian tourist town.

Hawkins, a relatively unknown British actress and newcomer to Hollywood’s awards scenes, was visibly nervous accepting her prize.

“I’ll try and get through as much as my voice and nerves and knees will let me,” said Hawkins, thanking family, cast mates and collaborators on the film, including director Mike Leigh.

The robot romance “WALL-E” won for best animated feature. Director Andrew Stanton thanked producer Pixar Animation and distributor Walt Disney, saying the unusual love story between two robots who communicate in beeps and squeaks “couldn’t have been made anywhere else.”

The foreign-language film prize went to Israel’s “Waltz With Bashir,” director Ari Forman’s animated documentary about a soldier struggling to recall suppressed memories of his involvement in the war with Lebanon.

TV winners

Among TV categories, “30 Rock” won best comedy series, with stars Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin earning the acting Globes in a musical or comedy. “Mad Men” won best TV drama.

The 66th annual Globes, the town’s second-biggest movie celebration after the Academy Awards, returned to their somewhat boozy glory.

Last year’s Globe show was scrapped after stars said they would stay away in honor of picket lines by the Writers Guild of America, which was engaged in a bitter strike against producers. In its place was a briskly paced news conference where winners were announced from a podium.

The Globes serve as a barometer for potential Oscar contenders, often singling out deserving newcomers who might have been overlooked among bigger-name stars. Relative unknown Hilary Swank won for dramatic actress at the Globes for 1999’s “Boys Don’t Cry,” then went on to an upset win at the Oscars over Annette Bening, who had been considered the front-runner for “American Beauty.” This year’s Oscar ceremony comes on Feb. 22.

The Globes are presented by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, a group of about 90 reporters covering show business for overseas outlets.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

post-447-1231735635.jpg

So what the hell is up with his teeth? :ph34r:

Dang ~ He was always my ultimate BAAAAD boy crush but I think he would scare the living daylights out of me in person. :unsure:

I think he's creepy and you would have to drag me by my feet to see him in a current movie. But I saw the trailer of "The Wrestler" and was blown away - I can hardly wait to see it. Watching him on the award shows, it's almost as if he knows he did well, but is afraid to really accept that fact. You know what? Good for him. Nice to see a come back (and yeah Mickey, you never went away, but what you did with your time while you were still around... well, this indeed counts as a come back).

Great performance!! Congrats to Rourke! And for someone who said he wasn't good at public speaking (when he was at the podium accepting the Golden Globe), he was surprisingly eloquent.

I almost gagged when he won. Talk about not fucking worthy. There was the competition looking all put together and then their was him all sluring and tripping. It looked like he needed a fucking bath.

Great performance!! Congrats to Rourke! And for someone who said he wasn't good at public speaking (when he was at the podium accepting the Golden Globe), he was surprisingly eloquent.

I almost gagged when he won. Talk about not fucking worthy. There was the competition looking all put together and then their was him all sluring and tripping. It looked like he needed a fucking bath.

Clearly, you didn't see "The Wrestler." He's extraordinary in it. The award is well deserved.

Clearly, you didn't see "The Wrestler." He's extraordinary in it. The award is well deserved.

Then he should have bathed... Sorry. Someone honors you with a nominee and this is your 2nd chance at hollywood then act like you appreciate it.

Then he should have bathed... Sorry. Someone honors you with a nominee and this is your 2nd chance at hollywood then act like you appreciate it.

I loved he thanked his dogs ! and said when a man is alone sometimes all you have are your dogs !! I remember seeing those pictures of him a few years ago walking and carrying his little dogs !

I loved he thanked his dogs ! and said when a man is alone sometimes all you have are your dogs !! I remember seeing those pictures of him a few years ago walking and carrying his little dogs !

That was very touching, and it probably is true for a lot of people who are alone. That line alone made me tear up.

That was very touching, and it probably is true for a lot of people who are alone. That line alone made me tear up.

It would have made me tear up too if I had seen it but not for the sentimentality behind his affection for his pets, but because he has fucked up his life to the point to where all he has are his dogs.

As for the changes in his appearances, I am not sure that I blame him, so much as I blame bad plastic surgery.

Did anybody see Sprinsteen's speech when he won? He could have been talking about Mickey and not the character in the move (as pitiched to him by Rourke).

ROURKE: 'BUSH WAS IN THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME'

Monday January 12,2009

Actor MICKEY ROURKE sympathises with U.S. President GEORGE W. BUSH - insisting he doesn't know how any politician could have successfully navigated America after the 9/11 attacks on New York.

The Hollywood tough-guy spoke out about his political views in a candid interview with Britain's GQ magazine, and admits he doesn't understand why so many people blame Bush for a string of world issues - including Islamic fundamentalism and terrorism in the West.

And the actor, who claims he didn't follow last year's (08) historic U.S. election battle between Barack Obama and John McCain, urges the public to consider the tremendous pressure the controversial president was under following the terror attacks on the World Trade Center in 2001.

He tells the publication, "President Bush was in the wrong place at the wrong time, I don't know how anyone could have handled this situation.

"I don't give a f**k who's in office, Bush or whoever, there is no simple solution to this problem... I'm not one of those who blames Bush for everything. This s**t between Christians and Muslims goes back to the Crusades, doesn't it.

"It's too easy to blame everything on one guy. These are unpredictable, dangerous times, and I don't think that anyone really knows quite what to do."

Rourke also confesses he was so angry after 9/11, he wanted to fight the war on terror himself.

He adds, "I'm not politically educated. But I do know that after 9/11 I wanted to go over there, you know what I'm saying?"

And the star is baffled by the U.K.'s approach to fundamentalists - insisting he was taken aback by the freedom of speech allowed in the U.K.

He explains, "I was in London recently and I couldn't believe all these hate-talking fanatics you have over here who are allowed to carry on doing their thing even when a bus full of women and children gets blown to pieces.

"I know you've deported one or two of them, but it seems crazy. I think there is worse to come, something terrible will happen to either America or the U.K., or France even. I don't think these fundamentalists should be allowed to talk all this crap, and brainwashing these young kids."

post-447-1231900367.jpg

He seems quite obviously mentally and emotionally troubled and he alienated a lot of people over the years with his erratic, arrogant behavior (and apparently alienated himself from his own face...). That said, his appearance and speech at the Globes were rather endearing. Actually, I thought he quite obviously dressed up for the occasion - super sparkly and shiny outfit (and his hair was no worse than, say, Cammy Diaz's or Renee Zellweger's...or Johnny Depp's...). And any man who thanks his dogs - past and present - can't be all bad in my book.... I've been wanting to see The Wrestler, but now I want to see it even more.

Hollywood loves a good redemption story. Don't we all, I guess.

I just became a fan. Bless him.

Me too, Annabeast! As "unappealing" as he has seemed in the past, his role in the new movie along with this article has just given me cause to genuinely like this man! Good for him!

Mickey Rourke ROCKS on screen...When he 'left' acting to box professionally I respected him even more for being willing to walk away and be true to himself. To the PTB, he was an ass**** but at least he was an honest one. His face still emotes more in one look than most actors could manage with pages of top rate dialogue. He openly admits that therapy was key in helping him to change his behavior and thinking.

I think he is one of the greatest actors of our time.

"I don't hate cops, but I seem to feel better when they're not around"

~Henry Chinaski (Mickey Rourke) BARFLY

I remember at one point thinking that he had lost it and would never work again but then he played a small part in The Rainmaker and I just thought "wow - he's still got it!" I'm really glad for him that this role came along and someone took a chance on him. I'm also glad he was willing to seek out help. I'd like to see him stick around for awhile this time.

Mickey Rourke ROCKS on screen...When he 'left' acting to box professionally I respected him even more for being willing to walk away and be true to himself. To the PTB, he was an ass**** but at least he was an honest one. His face still emotes more in one look than most actors could manage with pages of top rate dialogue. He openly admits that therapy was key in helping him to change his behavior and thinking.

I appreciate his no-hold-barred honesty and his currently gracious, humble appreciation at the reception he's getting regarding his "comeback." I mean, just the past few days while turning the channels, I've seen him on Leno, Kimmel, Oprah (!!), etc. He's very appreciative and articulate in all public venues (for someone who claims not to be good at public speaking, he's been surprisingly eloquent). On Oprah, he appeared with his old Chihuahua (sp?), which both the audience and Oprah just loved.

I LOVED Sean Penn's performance in "Milk" but I'm starting to think Rourke might have a good chance upsetting him at the Oscars (and I never thought that before). Whoever is doing his PR pre-Oscar campaign is doing a great job.

I appreciate his no-hold-barred honesty and his currently gracious, humble appreciation at the reception he's getting regarding his "comeback." I mean, just the past few days while turning the channels, I've seen him on Leno, Kimmel, Oprah (!!), etc. He's very appreciative and articulate in all public venues (for someone who claims not to be good at public speaking, he's been surprisingly eloquent). On Oprah, he appeared with his old Chihuahua (sp?), which both the audience and Oprah just loved.

I LOVED Sean Penn's performance in "Milk" but I'm starting to think Rourke might have a good chance upsetting him at the Oscars (and I never thought that before). Whoever is doing his PR pre-Oscar campaign is doing a great job.

The fact that he's even willing to do the rounds says a lot. His transformation is pretty admirable.

Mickey Rourke: My Dogs Saved My Life

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mickey Rourke, who thanked his dogs during his Golden Globes best actor acceptance speech, says his pooches received a shout-out for one simple reason: They were there for him during his darkest hour more than a decade ago.

"I sort of self-destructed and everything came out about fourteen years ago or so ... the wife had left, the career was over, the money was not an ounce," Rourke, 56, reveals during the Oscar night edition of The Barbara Walters Special, of which PEOPLE has an exclusive preview. "The dogs were there when no one else was there."

But the star of The Wrestler says his split from ex-wife, actress-model Carre Otis, 40, further exacerbated his personal turmoil. "What happened was, I was not in a really good place in my head and my heart, and I think when the wife left, it all came down and I didn't want to be here."

But when asked by Walters if, at the time, he was suicidal, Rourke said, "Look, there's always a weak way out. I've always known that. Yeah, I didn't want to be here, but I didn't want to kill myself. I just wanted to push a button and disappear."

And at the point, Rourke turned to his dogs.

"I think I hadn't left the house for four or five months, and I was sitting in the closet, sleeping in the closet for some reason, and I was in a bad place, and I just remember I was thinking, 'Oh, man, if I do this,' " he tells Walters. "And then I looked at my dog, Lowjack, and he made a sound, like a little almost human sound. I don't have kids, the dogs became everything to me. The dog was looking at me going, 'Who's going to take care of me?' "

Source: People

The fact that he's even willing to do the rounds says a lot. His transformation is pretty admirable.

He was great at the Independent Spirit Awards. He thanked his publicist at the end saying that she basically told him how to dress, where to walk, who to talk to, what to say, who to fuck, etc. Oh yeah ~ he's definitely aware of the great job she did!

And he dedicated the award to his dog, Lowjack, who passed about a week ago. :(

The dog was Loki. He had the photo on a necklace last night too....

The dog was Loki. He had the photo on a necklace last night too....

I stand corrected. :4biggrin: