Sign in to follow this  
TubaGirl

Any tea drinkers here?

A co-worker brought some "mate de coca" to work last week. "Mate de coca" is tea made form leaves of the coca plant. The coca plant is where cocaine comes from. According to wikipedia it isn't addictive and you won't turn into a coke fiend.

Has anyone ever tried it? And more importantly, will it help me lose the 10 poounds I gained during the winter? :wacko:

A co-worker brought some "mate de coca" to work last week. "Mate de coca" is tea made form leaves of the coca plant. The coca plant is where cocaine comes from. According to wikipedia it isn't addictive and you won't turn into a coke fiend.

Has anyone ever tried it? And more importantly, will it help me lose the 10 poounds I gained during the winter? :wacko:

I think I have seen this at the grocery store but have never tried it but willing too now. I am a tea fiend especially during the summer where I could drink it all day. Dummy me thought it was a chocolate type tea which does not appeal to me at all so I didn't pay attention to it.

I'm a tea drinker and I average about 4-5 cups a day...but I haven't tried that flavor....YET. ;)

I'll try to have some tomorrow. Let me know what you guys think if you try it. One thing to keep in mind is that you *WILL* test positive for cocaine in a drug test if you drink it. :mellow:

Edited by TubaGirl

Really? Wow...ok, will have to try it when we aren't getting drug tested. Wait, a second, I work in Hollywood...if there was a drug test, we'd all been fired by now. Now if I could just find some Heroin tea. :4biggrin:

Coca tea

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Coca tea, also called mate de coca, is a tisane (herbal tea) made using the leaves of the coca plant. It is made either by submerging the coca leaf or dipping a tea bag in hot water. The tea originates from the Andes mountain range, particularly Peru.

The leaves of the coca plant contain several alkaloids including cocaine;[1] in fact, they comprise the sources for cocaine's chemical production, though the amount of cocaine in the leaves is so small, around 0.2%,[1][2] that in order to make a gram of cocaine, 500 grams of coca leaves would be needed.[3][4]

Owing to the presence of the stimulant alkaloids, the coca tea provides a source of energy similar to coffee. The tea is often sold commercially in filtering bags, each of which usually contains approximately one gram of the leaf. As coffee can be decaffeinated, the coca tea can also be decocainized. Just like "decaf" coffee does retain a minute quantity of caffeine, "decocanized" coca tea will still contain a minute quantity of the drug. When the cocaine is removed, the amount of cocaine is small enough for the product to legally sell in the USA according to the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs. In the 1980s the tea was used to wean cocaine addicts off of the drug.[2]

The coca plant comprises four main species and varieties of Erythroxylum coca, often spelled koka in Quechua and Aymara, is a plant in the family Erythroxylaceae, native to northwestern South America.

Though also known as mate, the mate de coca has very little in common with the mate of yerba mate drunk in Argentina. Mate de coca is always drunk as a tea, rather than through a straw.

Classification and nomenclature

A cup served in Villazón, Bolivia.Coca tea comes from the coca plant, which has the biological name Erythroxylum coca and is from the family Erythroxylaceae. It is often called "la Hoja de Coca" (the leaf of coca) or Coca del Peru (coca of Peru).

Characteristics

Coca Tea is a natural product. The tea preserves all of the physical-chemical properties of the coca leaf. The product fulfills the Technical Peruvian Standard and can be sold nationally, although such use is being discouraged in part by the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs.

The tea is greenish yellow color, and has a lightly bitter flavor, somewhat similar to that of green tea but with a slightly more naturally sweet taste.

In South American Culture

Medicinal Use

Coca tea consumption is common in many South American countries. Many indigenous tribes of the Andes mountain range also use the tea for medicinal and religious purposes.[5][3]

The consumption of Coca tea, as well as chewing the leaves, increases the absorption of oxygen in blood, which helps combat altitude sickness, and has a marked digestive and carminative action.[1] Coca Flour ( powdered coca leaves) can be brewed at a coffee machine for a stronger and concentrated tea.

Tourism

On the "Inca Trail" to Machu Picchu, guides usually serve coca tea with every meal because it is widely believed to alleviate the symptoms of altitude sickness.[6][7]

Traditionally, official governmental persons traveling to La Paz in Bolivia, located at almost 4,000 meters above mean sea level, are greeted with a mate de coca. News reports noted that Princess Anne and the late Pope John Paul II were served the beverage during their visits to the country.[citation needed]

Edited by BobbyD

I'm a huge green tea drinker (drink about half a gallon of it a day) and would love to try this stuff. Where can I get it - any place online?

Really? Wow...ok, will have to try it when we aren't getting drug tested. Wait, a second, I work in Hollywood...if there was a drug test, we'd all been fired by now. Now if I could just find some Heroin tea. :4biggrin:

:4biggrin:

I'm a huge green tea drinker (drink about half a gallon of it a day) and would love to try this stuff. Where can I get it - any place online?

Here's one place: www.cocateaperu.com

Delisse seems to be the most widely sold brand. If other brands don't actually say that they are made from coca leaves I wold wonder if it's the real thing.

* edited to add *

I've noticed that out-of-the-USA websites ae the best place to find it.

Edited by TubaGirl

I drink that amount of green tea every day as well. I can't wait to hear about this new stuff though. :)

I drink that amount of green tea every day as well. I can't wait to hear about this new stuff though. :)

I had a cup in the beginning of April. I liked it but I really can't reach an opinion on just that. I still haven't received my order. :(

I haven't tried it yet, but I ordered some online. I'll post when I try it.

cool - I'm excited to hear how it goes!

It *FINALLY* came today. I'll try it tomorrow.

I had 2 cups today. I liked it. It was like green tea. I didn't get a rush or anything but I didn't seem to be that hungry at lunch. Probably just a coincidence.

Edited by TubaGirl

LMAO!