Sign in to follow this  
BobbyD

Bradley Cooper

‘Up’ shakes off ‘The Hangover’ at box office

Animated flick earns $44.2 million but bachelor-party comedy close second

msnbc.com

LOS ANGELES - Two live-action comedies were unable to bring down the animated adventure “Up.”

Disney and Pixar Animation’s “Up” reeled in $44.2 million to remain on top of the box office for the second weekend in a row, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The Warner Bros. bachelor-bash comedy “The Hangover” came in a close second with a $43.3 million debut. Will Ferrell’s action comedy for Universal, “Land of the Lost,” had to settle for a distant third with a $19.5 million opening.

“Up” was the first movie of Hollywood’s busy summer season to take the No. 1 spot for two straight weekends. But overall revenues fell for the second weekend in a row, putting the brakes on what has been shaping up as a record revenue year for the movie business.

The top 12 movies took in $164 million, down 6 percent from the same weekend last year, when “Kung Fu Panda” opened on top with $60.2 million, according to box-office figures compiled by Hollywood.com.

For the year, Hollywood has taken in $4.3 billion, up 12.5 percent from 2008 revenues. But studios have been unable to maintain the red-hot pace of the year’s first four months.

“Definitely, things have slowed,” said Paul Dergarabedian, box-office analyst for Hollywood.com. “But there are some potential saviors on the horizon.”

Three big sequels — “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen,” “Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs” and “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” — open within three weeks of one another starting June 24.

With $137.3 million in the bank after just 10 days, “Up” is streaking toward the $200 million mark achieved by such previous Pixar hits as “WALL-E,” “Ratatouille,” “Cars” and “Toy Story 2.”

Revenues for most big movies typically drop 50 percent or more in the second weekend, but the audience for “Up” was down only 35 percent from its opening. That puts it in line with “Finding Nemo,” the top-grossing Disney-Pixar animated tale, said Chuck Viane, head of distribution for Disney.

“Up” likely will finish in the top three among Pixar flicks, Viane said. Leading the Pixar slate now are “Finding Nemo” with $339.7 million, “The Incredibles” with $261.4 million and “Monsters, Inc.” with $255.8 million.

“The Hangover” features Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Zach Galifianakis as pals on a wild Las Vegas bachelor party, during which they misplace the groom (Justin Bartha) and run into all manner of misadventures.

Estimated ticket sales for June 5-7

1. “Up,” $44.2 million.

2. “The Hangover,” $43.3 million.

3. “Land of the Lost,” $19.5 million.

4. “Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian,” $14.7 million.

5. “Star Trek,” $8.4 million.

6. “Terminator Salvation,” $8.2 million.

7. “Drag Me to Hell,” $7.3 million.

8. “Angels & Demons,” $6.5 million.

9. “My Life in Ruins,” $3.2 million.

10. “Dance Flick,” $2 million.

Warner Bros. had expected “The Hangover” to finish at No. 3 behind “Up” and “Land of the Lost.” But the movie found a broad audience split almost evenly between men and women and those over and under 25, said Dan Fellman, Warner head of distribution.

“Sunday’s always good for a hangover,” Fellman said.

“The Hangover” was directed by Todd Phillips, whose 2003 comedy “Old School” featured a breakout role for Ferrell.

Yet Ferrell had one of his weaker openings with “Land of the Lost,” inspired by the 1970s children’s TV show about adventurers hurled back to an age of dinosaurs. Ferrell’s new twist generally was trashed by critics as a crude update.

Sony’s “Angels & Demons” took in $6.5 million domestically and $22.3 million overseas to hit $409 million overall, the first 2009 release to cross the $400 million mark worldwide.

In narrower release, Fox Searchlight’s romantic comedy “My Life in Ruins” had a so-so debut of $3.2 million, coming in at No. 9. The movie stars Nia Vardalos (“My Big Fat Greek Wedding”) as a discontented tour guide in Greece who unexpectedly finds love.

Focus Features’ road-trip romp “Away We Go” had a strong opening in limited release, pulling in $143,260 in four theaters for a healthy average of $35,815 a cinema.

That compares to an average of $11,588 in 3,818 theaters for “Up,” $13,238 in 3,269 cinemas for “The Hangover,” $5,545 in 3,521 locations for “Land of the Lost” and $2,771 in 1,164 theaters for “My Life in Ruins.”

“Away We Go,” starring John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph as a couple searching out the best place in North America to raise a family, was directed by Sam Mendes (“American Beauty”). The film expands to more theaters Friday.

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Bradley Cooper to play gay again!

By Greg Hernandez

Bradley Cooper, whose first movie role was that of a gay camp counselor on Wet Hot American Summer more than a decade ago, is going to play gay once again.

Bradley has been cast in the film Valentine’s Day, an ensemble comedy about five couples as they celebrate Valentine’s Day in L.A. He plays a gay man who is in love with a closeted football player. Also in the cast is Julia Roberts and The Hollywood Reporter states that Anne Hathaway, Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, Jennifer Garner, Shirley MacLaine, and Ashton Kutcher are also starring.

Bradley is best known for his role on TV’s Alias and such films as The Wedding Crashers, Yes Man, and He’s Just Not That Into You. His next film is The Hangover to be released this summer.

'Hangover' upsets 'Up'

Revised Sunday figures favor Warner Bros. pic

By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

Thanks to a stronger than expected Sunday, Warner Bros.' R-rated comedy "The Hangover" edged past Disney-Pixar's "Up" to win the weekend at the domestic box office.

Final figures will show that "Hangover" grossed $45 million from 3,269 runs. "Up" should finish at $44.3 million to $44.4 million from 3,818 theaters.

Estimates supplied by the studios on Sunday showed "Up" winning the weekend at $44.2 million. Warners reported that "Hangover," directed by Todd Phillips, grossed $43.3 million.

It's rare that the No. 1 and No. 2 films switch positions once official weekend numbers are reported on Monday.

Both "Hangover" and "Up" enjoyed more business on Sunday than initially projected, even with the distraction of baseball and the NBA playoff.

Warners estimated that "Hangover" would gross $11.9 million; instead, the film grossed north of $13 million for the day.

The size of "Hangover's" opening is one of the biggest surprises of the year. Generally speaking, R-rated comedies don't open as big, but rather, have long runs.

"Hangover," co-financed and co-produced by Legendary Pictures, enjoyed the third best debut ever for an R-rated laffer after "Sex and the City" ($57 million) and "American Pie 2."

Weekend's other high-profile release, Universal's Will Ferrell adventure-comedy "Land of the Lost" didn't participate in the bounty. Sunday estimates had "Land of the Lost" opening to $19.5 million from 3,521 theaters, but final numbers could show the film grossing slightly less.

Seems like they've been trying to turn him into the next big thing for the past few years. I guess The Hangover's weekend could be considered a solid step in that direction. He seems like a pretty down to earth guy. Him paired with Amy Poehler in Wet Hot American Summer was hilarious.

Actually, I kinda recall Ted saying recently that he has been the subject of a Blind Vice. Am I imagining that? I'm guessing there's gay rumors of some kind

Seems like they've been trying to turn him into the next big thing for the past few years. I guess The Hangover's weekend could be considered a solid step in that direction. He seems like a pretty down to earth guy. Him paired with Amy Poehler in Wet Hot American Summer was hilarious.

Actually, I kinda recall Ted saying recently that he has been the subject of a Blind Vice. Am I imagining that? I'm guessing there's gay rumors of some kind

There was an old blind vice about a very brief marriage ending due to domestic violence, thought to be Bradley and Jennifer Esposito :(

I was about to post that this guy is really growing on me until that little tidbit in the BI about 'domestic violence'. Assuming that BI isn't about him and the only fuss is that he's gay in real life, then who cares - I can still enjoy him on screen. :4biggrin:

Jennifer & Bradley: Inside Their Hot New Romance

Posted Image

Jennifer Aniston and Bradley Cooper are on! on! on!

Days after sharing a romantic dinner together at Il Cantinori restaurant in Manhattan, Star has the scoop on the budding romance, including how Jen's been bubbling to pals that she's just so into the breakout star of the mega-smash movie The Hangover!

"Jen is really excited," an insider says in our July 6 cover story. "She feels a connection to Bradley."

That was clear during their June 18 dinner date. Throughout the three-hour meal, Jennifer, 30, and Bradley, 34, shared food and wine, laughed at one another's jokes and acted like two kids falling in love. "I went over to say hi to them, and I noticed they were holding hands under the table because they let go to shake my hand," an eyewitness at the exclusive restaurant tells Star.

While the idea of romancing Jen could be overwhelming for some potential suitors — after all, the ex-Mrs. Brad Pitt's heartache is so legendary that even she makes fun of her relationship history — Bradley could be the right man for the job.

"Bradley knows that Jen comes with a lot of baggage," says a source. "But he's not denying he has feelings for her

Jennifer, 30, and Bradley, 34, shared food and wine, laughed at one another's jokes and acted like two kids falling in love.

Since when??

Jennifer, 30, and Bradley, 34, shared food and wine, laughed at one another's jokes and acted like two kids falling in love.

Since when??

Definitely a typo. She's 40.

Bradley Cooper, Renee Zellweger Share NYC Dinner

Wednesday July 1, 2009

Days after Bradley Cooper declared he and Jennifer Aniston are just "friends," the Hangover star went on a dinner date with Renee Zellweger.

The two dined in a quiet corner at Italian restaurant Antonucci on NYC’s Upper East Side on Tuesday night.

At one point, Cooper took Zellweger's tea cup and smelled it and her face lit up. When Bradley spoke, Zellweger played with her hair, twisting it around her finger.

"She was grinning ear-to-ear and laughing really loud," adds the onlooker. "Bradley kept moving closer to her and slouching in his seat. He was really relaxed."

So are the two -- who just wrapped up the thriller Case 39 -- an item?

It remains to be seen.

But there's no denying they get along.

"He seemed to be hanging on to Renee's every word," says the witness. "They were lost in their own little world.

My first thought with Jennifer was "BUSINESS dinner" and now I'm convinced of it. Either he wants a role in one of their movies or vice versa.

Oh yes Bradley is DEFINITELY straight. I'm convinced.

:4biggrin:

Bradley Cooper To Dish Out Beatings

Bradley Cooper wanted to be in 'The A-Team' so he could beat people up.

The actor said he was looking forward to playing the character Face in the action film, and getting to dish out beatings, rather than being on the receiving end, as he did as character Will Tippin in US series 'Alias'

He said: "In 'Alias', I wasn't the action guy. I got the s**t beat out of me, got tortured a lot, lost teeth, became a heroin addict, and left after the second season. I was never on the giving end of it. But in The A-Team, I get that chance."

He also said he "w****d himself out" to director Joe Carnahan to get his part as smooth talking Face in the film, about a team of rogue military mercenaries.

Bradley said: "I heard they were doing it and decided that I had to be involved. I heard Liam Neeson was going to play Hannibal, and I was also huge fan of the old TV series.

"I got a meeting with director Joe Carnahan about me playing Face. I got the script to read, called next morning and unabashedly w****d myself out as to how I have to play this role. I was lucky enough that he said, 'Let's try it'."

Source femalefirst

Bradley Cooper to Propose to Renee Zellweger?

BRADLEY Cooper is planning to propose to girlfriend Renee Zellweger — but only if his mom likes her!

Cooper has already bought a ring for the Bridget Jones’s Diary actress and will apparently go down on one knee as soon as Renee has met his parents.

“It’s very serious,” a source said. “As soon as his mom gives the sign off, he’s going to propose.

“Renee’s and Bradley’s previous marriages [to Kenny Chesney and Jennifer Esposito, respectively] both ended after only four months. They have that in common — it’s one of the things that brought them together.”

Renee will spend Thanksgiving with Bradley and his parents in Philadelphia.

“Things have been heading in this direction for the two of them for a while,” a source told the New York Daily News last month, “but this definitely solidifies how serious they are.

“Renee says she’s nervous, and she’s really hoping it goes well. She’s very excited.”

The source adds that their romance is “quite serious. Renee and Bradley are crazy about each other.”

Source showbizspy.com

Bradley Cooper Happy With Rumors

Bradley Cooper thinks it was "fantastic" people thought he was gay.

The 'Case 39' actor - who is dating his co-star Renee Zellweger - is amazed at how much of what is written about him is untrue and says the best rumour he's ever read about himself was after attending an event with his actor friend Victor Garber and it was reported they were dating.

He said: "People thought we were dating. It was all over the internet. It was the first time I read a rumour like that about me, and I just thought it was fantastic."

Bradley has always denied claims he is homosexual and insists he is very happy with his 40-year-old actress girlfriend, who he "really likes very much".

Despite his celebrity status, the 34-year-old hunk admits he never fitted in at school and was in awe of the "power" held by members of the sports teams.

He told the Independent newspaper: "I wasn't the smartest person in school, I wasn't the coolest kid. I really didn't have anything going on.

"I was fascinated by those sports jocks because they were so obviously a**eholes and didn't hide that fact. But they somehow had this power, that the rules of the universe didn't apply to the."

Source femalefirst

Cooper 'Not Moving In With Zellweger'

Bradley Cooper's rep has dismissed rumors that the actor is planning to move in with girlfriend Renée Zellweger.

The pair, who are believed to have started dating in August last year, were reported to be planning to live together after purchasing a $5m (£3.1m) property in Pacific Palisades, CA.

However, a spokesperson for Cooper has since shot down the speculation.

They told Gossip Cop that the Hangover star purchased the three-bedroom house for himself alone.

Source digitalspy.co.uk

From Ted's Eonline Aweful Truth, about Oscar after-party:

Speaking of couples that don't interact, Bradley Cooper and Renée Zellweger were at the same Oscar party Friday night and we're told they didn't hang out either!

The duo was at CAA lord Bryan Lourd's party and an insider says the supposedly rockin' couple didn't interact one bit.

"Renée, who actually looked gorgeous, mingled with guests and Bradley hung out with a guy friend for a while on the couch," a partygoer tells us.

"I didn't see them talk once inside, but believe they left together."

Yes, left with a zillion paparazzi outside!

I read this too. Wink. Wink. Love the way Ted infuses the little tidbit about the "guy friend" sitting with Brad on the couch. Ted says he never outs anyone but he sure comes close with his innuendo.