kappy22

Amanda Knox

Am I the only who's not surprised at the verdict? Am I the only one who feels Americans need to start waking up to reality? First off, teach your kids that any time you do drugs in a foreign country, you are setting yourself up for potential nightmares. I'm not saying this girl isn't innocent nor am I saying she deserves this verdict because of her drug use but geez ~ just because you're American doesn't mean you automatically get a 'go home free' card either. Right now I'm feeling more anger at spoiled Americans who think other countries can't convict us. They can and we need to start teaching our kids that they can. Want to study abroad? Great ~ Just skip the drug parties till you get back home.

I agree. I'm saddened by the verdict (mainly because I don't think the investigation was thorough and I do think it was biased against the American) but I'm not surprised by the verdict.

Study (& service) abroad are HUGE for undergraduate students. Such a huge percentage of students go abroad, compared to when I did 15 years ago. Some schools (and many parents) don't do anything (or enough) to prepare students for what to expect and how to handle themselves. Most do ok. But stories like this should serve as reminders of what can happen. Break the laws, there are consequences. Period. And I don't have a problem with that (as I said - my main issue is that I don't think the investigation was thorough)

Similar to the hikers who crossed the border to Iran.....It's not like crossing the border to Idaho for god's sake.

Edited by Hoyaheel

I'm not surprised at all. I don't think she's as innocent as her family portrays her but I don't think she should have been convicted based upon that investigation. The investigation was botched, the evidence and crime scene were compromised, and her statement had translation issues.

With all that said, I agree Americans are spoiled and take our freedoms and rights for granted.

I personally believe that the investigation might have had some errors, like others mentioned because bias, but I totally think she was at fault. However, I thought she would get away with it. It was a shock for me, and I wonder how the appeal will go!

Going through the specifics of the case(Thank you, Dateline NBC). I think they reached the correct verdict. Even with sloppy police work, Knox and her boyfriend didn't have an alibi that checked out. She initially blamed her boss, who was then arrested and set free because he HAD an alibi(she blamed the wrong black guy, when it was the other one, Rudy Guede). Phone records also had her and her boyfriend BOTH turning off their phones around the time of the murder...strange. So they convicted her because she was involved, even though they may never really know who actually killed the poor woman.

Someone bottomline it for me and tell me what Knox's motive was and who allegedly killed her roommate. I search for this on the net and all I get is more sensationalistic journalism.

If there is a link that summarizes this could you please post that?

The motive was supposedly that Meredith (roomate) was fed up with Knox's flith and sex antics. She was giving Knox a hard time about it and Knox wanted to do something to freak her out. KNox had her drug dealer ( Rudy Guede) come over and rape meredith by sodomy while Knox held a knife to her neck and Raffelle held her. I guess it went "too far" and she ended up dead. Guede claimed that he was dating Meredith and that was the reason his dna was on her.

Well this wasn't really a smart move on Knox's part.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...orgy-story.html

Killer got jail prize for drugs orgy tale

By NICK PISA

in Perugia

Published: Today

KILLER Amanda Knox won a prize in a prison essay-writing contest with a story about a sex and drugs orgy, it was claimed yesterday.

The story described a man finding his lover stretched out naked and unconscious at a party where people were "smoking and injecting".

In it he "swam through waves of hot bodies soaked with sweat and drink" in a packed house to reach the woman.

The story, for which Knox won 100 euros, bore disturbing similarities to the drug-fuelled sex game prosecutors said Meredith refused to join in before being killed.

Knox wrote the story - entitled Amore Mio, or My Love - for a competition organised by charity workers who help at the prison where she is held.

A source close to the 22-year-old American's parents Edda and Curt confirmed she had won a prize for writing but that they "don't remember" what the theme was.

On Knox's MySpace internet page, since shut down, she once posted a story about two brothers committing a rape.

Meanwhile a politician from her home state of Washington has asked US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to investigate her conviction.

Senator Maria Cantwell said she had doubts about the trial, but both sets of Italian lawyers rejected her "interference".