BobbyD

The Blind Side

'Blind Side' tackles box office competition

Football pic tops weekend with $20.4 million

By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

Warner Bros. and Alcon Entertainment's "The Blind Side" sacked the competish at the domestic box office, grossing $20.4 million from 3,326 theaters for a cume of $129.3 million in its third game of the season.

Summit Entertainment's "New Moon" remained a top player also, grossing $15.7 million from 4,124 theaters for a domestic cume of $255.6 million in its third weekend. Vampire romancer took in another $40.7 million overseas for a foreign cume of $314.5 million and massive worldwide total of $570.1 million.

Among new entries at the domestic B.O., Lionsgate and Relativity Media's war drama "Brothers" fared best, grossing $9.7 million from 2,088 theaters to place No. 3 for the frame after "Blind Side" and "New Moon," respectively.

"Brothers" toplines Jake Gyllenhaal, Tobey Maguire and Natalie Portman.

Sony's actioner "Armored" opened to an estimated $6.6 million from 1,915 locations to tie for No. 6 with Sony's own holdover "2012."

Among specialty openers, Paramount's George Clooney starrer "Up in the Air" scored a lofty per screen average of $79,000 as it grossed $1.2 million from 15 theaters in major markets. Jason Reitman directed.

'Blind Side' No. 1 at box office

By John Young, EW

December 6, 2009 4:21 p.m. EST

(Entertainment Weekly) -- Proving that Sandra Bullock is having the best year of her career, the football drama "The Blind Side" rose to first place at the box office this weekend with $20.4 million, according to early estimates by Hollywood.com Box Office.

After settling for second place behind "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" the past two weeks, "Blind Side" showed its legs by dropping only 49 percent and overtaking the vampire phenomenon. "Blind Side," which received mediocre reviews but obtained a rare "A+" rating from CinemaScore moviegoers, has reached a cumulative gross of $129.3 million. It should have no trouble passing "The Proposal's" $164 million total to become Bullock's biggest hit.

"New Moon" slid 63 percent in its third weekend, draining $15.7 million for second place. That puts the teenage romantic fantasy at $255.6 million, with an even scarier worldwide total of $570.1 million.

In third place with $9.7 million was the new drama "Brothers," starring Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Natalie Portman.

Two family film holdovers occupied fourth and fifth place: "A Christmas Carol" (No. 4 with $7.5 million) and "Old Dogs" (No. 5 with $6.9 million). "Carol," which debuted in early November to a somewhat disappointing $30.1 million, has since displayed admirable box-office stamina.

Unfortunately for the Jim Carrey movie, James Cameron's "Avatar" will be stealing most of "Carol's" high-priced IMAX and 3-D screens on December 18.

With the exception of "Brothers," the weekend's other wide-release debuts were left in the dust. The heist movie "Armored" skidded into sixth place with $6.6 million, while the Robert De Niro holiday comedy "Everybody's Fine" barely stuffed its stocking with $4 million -- enough for tenth place.

However, the weekend's true lump of coal was the horror comedy "Transylmania," which grossed a lifeless $274,000 from 1,007 theaters. Its per-screen average of $272 means that, at each theater, approximately 37 people attended "Transylmania" this weekend.

If one figures that the movie played about five times per day, or 15 times the whole weekend, then each screening of "Transylmania" attracted an average of two or three moviegoers.

In limited release, the new George Clooney comedic drama "Up in the Air" showed no signs of turbulence, cashing in $1.2 million from just 15 theaters -- an average of $79,000 per screen. The Oscar hopeful, which collected the National Board of Review's best picture award last week, expands nationwide on Christmas Day.

Anyone seen this? I'm torn as to whether I want to pay full price or wait for pay-per-view.

I thought it was really good. Best movie I've seen so far this year. Made me tear up.

Edited by Baby Doll

Can Tim McGraw act? Cause his wife sure can't.....I know he's been in other stuff, but I thought on tv, not big screen...

He's not bad in this. I was surprised. Great movie - I highly recommend it.