princess

The Addams Family

Posted Image

SNAP TO IT

Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth stage a monster mash Thursday during the opening-night performance of The Addams Family on Broadway.

Apparently the New York Times was not kind. I read about it on Gawker - Can't post directly because NYT requires registration....

ETA: Eh, either they no longer require registration or I'm actually registered on this computer and forgot about it. Here's the review: http://theater.nytimes.com/2010/04/09/thea...s.html?ref=arts

Starts out like this:

Imagine, if you dare, the agonies of the talented people trapped inside the collapsing tomb called “The Addams Family.” Being in this genuinely ghastly musical — which opened Thursday night at the Lunt-Fontanne Theater and stars a shamefully squandered Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth — must feel like going to a Halloween party in a strait-jacket or a suit of armor. Sure, you make a flashy (if obvious) first impression. But then you’re stuck in the darn thing for the rest of the night, and it’s really, really uncomfortable. Why, you can barely move, and a strangled voice inside you keeps gasping, “He-e-e-lp! Get me out of here!”

Hmm, no, not getting any better:

A tepid goulash of vaudeville song-and-dance routines, Borscht Belt jokes, stingless sitcom zingers and homey romantic plotlines that were mossy in the age of “Father Knows Best,” “The Addams Family” is most distinctive for its wholesale inability to hold on to a consistent tone or an internal logic.

Edited by Hoyaheel