sanlee

Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise Forced To Defend His ‘Responsibility’ As A Dad In Videotaped Deposition… But Admits He Didn’t See Daughter Suri For 110 Days After Divorce

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 @ 7:59AM | By Jen Heger & Dylan Howard

RadarOnline.com

Hollywood megastar Tom Cruise has admitted under oath that he did not see daughter Suri for 110 days in the wake of his traumatic split from ex-wife Katie Holmes.

In a brutal and often tense deposition on September 9, the notoriously private actor was forced to defend his role as a loving father, amid questions about whether he chose to spend more time working as a movie star and attending to the Church of Scientology than his paternal role to his seven-year-old daughter.

“Listen, when there is a divorce… things change,” an angry Cruise, 51, insisted to lawyers representing two magazines which he is suing for $50 million, alleging they defamed him by claiming he’d “abandoned” Suri when Holmes filed for divorce on June 29 last year.

“It’s not an ideal scene. It’s not an ideal situation.”

The interrogation at the hands of New York-based attorney Elizabeth McNamara was held at the Los Angeles offices of the star’s lawyer and provides a stunning insight into the Oscar-nominated actor’s life and end to his five-and-a-half year marriage to Holmes, 34.

RadarOnline.com has exclusively obtained a 48 page transcript of the marathon deposition which you can read here.

“From June 18 of 2012 until Thanksgiving of 2012, you only say Suri a few times, isn’t that right?” probed McNamara, the attorney representing Bauer Publishing, the parent company of In Touch and Life & Style magazines.

“Yes,” responded Cruise.

“You saw your daughter for 10 days,” added McNamara.

“I don’t know the total number of days,” replied Cruise.

The lawyer pressed further, “There were the three days of July 17th to the 19th, when you came into New York. Then you went to the Hamptons. Do you recall that?”

“Yes, I do,” said Cruise.

Then, she said, “You saw her for 12 hours on July 26… Do you recall that? You were flying from London to Los Angeles and you stopped in New York for about 12 hours?”

“Yes,” Cruise retorted.

McNamara questioned the Top Gun star about a further six days when he took Suri to Disney World.

“If you add those up, those are generously 10 days (in total),” said McNamara. “Do you have any reason to dispute that calculation?”

“None,” the movie star responded.

At one point, Cruise attempted to diffuse the line of questioning by insisting he was able to effectively parent Suri by telling “wonderful stories” on the telephone — an action, he said, kept them close.

“You have to work at it,” Cruise said.

“I’ve gotten very good at it. I’e gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it.”

To which McNamara replied, “It really doesn’t substitute for being able to be there does it?”

Cruise replied: “No, it doesn’t.”

He added, “As I said, I’ve gotten pretty good at communicating and I also find that, you know, Suri, you know, is a very happy child and confident and has a good sense of herself.”

Not deterred, the pit-bull lawyer continued to interrogate Cruise, specifically about why he could fly to London for 24 hours on October 14 to attend a Scientology event, the annual International Association of Scientology conference, but not make a similar visit to Suri.

“It was an important event,” said Cruise. “I felt it was important.”

Charged McNamara, “Based upon this, you could fly from the East Coast (of the United States) to London for 24 hours. Is that right?

“In that situation, yes,” responded Cruise.

“But you didn’t do it for Suri… isn’t that right?” the lawyer probed.

“When did I not do it for Suri?” Cruise chimed.

“In July, August, September, October,” the lawyer replied.

“That’s not true… different situation,” said Cruise.

“There was no 24 hour period of time that you couldn’t have flown to see Suri?”

“Listen, when there is a divorce — if you look at this also in terms of Suri coming to me and certain agreements that you have, when a divorce occurs thing change. And it’s more complicated, as everyone know when that is, when that occurs, and there are certain agreements; now you have to ask for permission and organize schedules to make things happen. So it wasn’t — it’s not an ideal scene. It’s not an ideal situation.”

McNamara pressed Cruise on whether he was “part responsible for that absence,” to which the Oscar-nominee insisted: “No.”

She said, “You couldn’t have — you were unable to fly for 24 hours from London to New York?”

Said Cruise: “There are many different circumstances. One, first of all, at this point when you’re looking at — you can’t compare Reacher to All You Need Is Kill or Edge of Tomorrow (movies he was working on at various times). And the situation, you know, when you’re thinking of your child and thinking what is the best thing for them, and of course, respecting Katie’s wishes in terms of Suri’s scheduling, the nature of making that film, the nature of having finished one film, and kind of — agreements change, you know. That wasn’t how the thing was set up.

“As I said, things change. Things change. Certainly what doesn’t change is the love I have for my daughter, the fact that I didn’t abandon her emotionally, physically, or otherwise. And in terms of how I feel about her in terms of the responsibility that I feel towards my child is not — is not waned in any way.”

He was also quizzed about whether he had an agreement with Holmes that prevented him from seeing Suri for over 100 days?

“Was that something that was impossible to do?” the star was asked.

To which he countered, “Unfortunately, in this situation it was impossible.”

When McNamara compared Cruise’s parenting to his own father, Thomas Mapother III, who reportedly left the actor when he was young and did not financially support him, the actor bristled: “The fact that you would suggest that I was being like my father… I find that greatly offensive.”

Cruise is suing In Touch and Life & Style for libel and defamation; the case is expected to go to trial next year.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this lawsuit. I think the in past when Tommy Boy is quick to sue, the other side settles. Doesn't look like that is going to happen this time around, and we know how he loves his privacy...

I'm ok with divorced parents who live far away and have jobs and other commitments not being able to see their kids all the time. It's expensive and it's hard. When I was little, I lived across the country from my biological father and I saw him a week at christmas and 3-4 weeks in the summer and we all survived.

But if Tom Cruise can fly (private!) anywhere he wants when he's not on set - like for a $cientology thing - then yeah, he deserves to be raked over the coals for not seeing his daughter more often......

I would never have given thought to this had he not instigated this crazy lawsuit.....

Tom Cruise FINALLY Admits Scientology Played A Role In Katie Holmes Divorce: ‘There Is No Need To Protect My Daughter From My Religion,’ He Fights Back In Angry Deposition

Posted on Nov 7, 2013 @ 11:54AM | By Melissa Cronin, Dylan Howard & Jen Heger

Radar Online/WENN

Nearly 18 months after Katie Holmes blindsided Tom Cruise and the world with a bombshell divorce, Cruise is finally admitting what many have long speculated: that she did it, at least in part, so that she and her daughter, Suri could leave the Church of Scientology.

Now, RadarOnline.com takes you inside Cruise’s explosive deposition on September 9 which reveals the truth of how Scientology impacted his family apart once and for all.

During Holmes’ marriage to Cruise, 51, she was a practitioner of the church, as he confirmed to lawyers for Bauer Media, the publishers of In Touch magazine. (Cruise is suing them over a recent cover story.)

But as soon as 34-year-old Holmes left him, she left Scientology as well — taking seven-year-old Suri with her.

When lawyers first asked Cruise about claims that Holmes divorced him “in part to protect Suri from Scientology,” he lashed back.

“Listen, I find that question offensive,” he exploded, according to a 36-page deposition transcript obtained by RadarOnline.com. “I find it, those statements offensive. Like with any relationship, there are many different levels to it. You know, I, I find it very offensive. There is no need to protect my daughter from my religion.”

They pushed further, asking, “And Ms. Holmes has never indicated in any way that was one of the reasons she left you? …To protect Suri from Scientology?”

Finally, Cruise admitted, “Did she say that? That was one of the assertions, yes.”

“Is Suri currently practicing Scientology?” they asked.

Cruise answered, “No.”

It was a breathtaking admission from Cruise, since leaving the Church of Scientology is akin to death for members.

According to Scientology’s website, anyone who publicly renounces the “faith” is considered an “Suppressive Person,” and “loses both his or her fellowship with the Church as well as with other Scientologists.” Many former Scientologists have described how family members within the church cut off all contact with them once they left, branding them suppressive persons.

As such, lawyers asked Cruise, “Would you consider, would the Church consider Ms. Holmes to be a suppressive person upon leaving the Church?”

“That is a distortion and a simplification of the matter,” he snapped. “… I don’t want to just give an oversimplification of religious doctrine.”

But when confronted with the definition of an SP from the church website, Cruise admitted that it was an apt description.

What’s more, when asked if Holmes, who had been close to his Scientologist children with Nicole Kidman, Isabella and Connor during their marriage, had had any contact at all with them since the divorce, he answered, “No.”

Bella and Connor’s own mother, Kidman, has hinted that she too has been estranged from her children since she left the church and her marriage in 2001.

In 2007, she said, “My kids don’t call me mommy, they don’t even call me mom. They call me Nicole, which I hate and tell them off for it.” In 2010, she said, “They live with Tom, which was their choice. I wish they would live with us, but what can you do?” And last year, Isabella said that she sees her mother, at best, “sometimes.”

Cruise’s explosive admissions have come during his ongoing lawsuit with Bauer Media, the publishers of In Touch magazine, whom he is suing over a cover on Cruise and Suri titled “Abandoned By Daddy.”

“I mean, come on, that is absolutely disgusting,” Cruise exploded when presented with the cover during the deposition. “That is absolutely disgusting. And I have to tell you with everything … Listen, I am a public person, I absolutely understand. For me there is … I tolerate a tremendous amount and I’m very privileged to be able to have the life that I have, and I believe that. But there is a line that, that I draw for myself, and that’s it.”

Tom Cruise

My Job's As Hard As

Fighting in Afghanistan

Exclusive

TMZ

Tom Cruise not only thinks he trains harder than Olympic athletes, he believes his job as a professional actor is as grueling as fighting the war in Afghanistan -- this according to legal docs obtained by TMZ.

As we reported, Cruise recently sat for a deposition in his $50 million libel suit against a magazine publisher that claimed he abandoned daughter Suri -- and his quotes are GOLD.

First, the Middle East -- Tom says his location shoots are just like serving a tour in Afghanistan, "That's what it feels like. And certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."

As for his physical training, Tom said, "There is difficult physical stamina and preparation. Sometimes I've spent months, a year, and sometimes two years preparing for a single film." But the kicker, he adds, "A sprinter for the Olympics, they only have to run two races a day. When I'm shooting, I could potentially have to run 30, 40 races a day, day after day."

But it's not all grenades and triathlons ... Tom says he's only flown commercial ONCE in the last 4 years ... and that was because he had no choice.

And there's this ... Tom says the skills he's picked up along the way have provided shortcuts in his relationship with Suri. For example, he says it's not always necessary for him to be physically around Suri, because he can tell her vivid stories on the phone that come to life. Tom says, "I've gotten very good at [talking on the phone]. I've gotten very good at it. I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it."

:alien_dance:

I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it.

First of all, shut it, Tom. Geesh. And who is they? Suri and her thetans?

I tell wonderful stories and they like hearing it.

First of all, shut it, Tom. Geesh. And who is they? Suri and her thetans?

i hate to be defending GMD but he really wasnt making the comparison people are saying he did. PLease, by all means, dislike this shmuck. But this is the least of the reasons.

i hate to be defending GMD but he really wasnt making the comparison people are saying he did. PLease, by all means, dislike this shmuck. But this is the least of the reasons.

You mean the comparison that being an actor is like serving in Afghanistan? It actually made it to Snopes.com website here. :D I rather liked TMZ's summary (I put in red):

TMZ

TMZ has seen the VIDEOTAPE of Tom Cruise's deposition, and here's what's clear ... he scoffs at the comparison between his job as an actor and a soldier in Afghanistan, but only at the end of a contentious exchange with the opposing lawyer.

We were not able to record the video but we viewed the portion in question several times. You see a buttoned-up Tom -- wearing a coat, a vest and a white shirt -- sitting almost motionless with his lips pursed, as the lawyer asks:

-- "Now, your counsel has publicly equated your absence from Suri for these extended periods of time as being analogous to someone fighting in Afghanistan. Are you aware of that?"

As the question is asked, Tom does not change his expression. He doesn't scoff, laugh or show any sort of shock. He sits impassively.

Tom's lawyer objects and then says he can answer. Tom remains stoic.

Then he answers:

-- "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like, and certainly on this last movie, it was brutal. It was brutal."

When Tom says "I didn't hear the Afghanistan, but that's what it feels like," he doesn't laugh but moves in his chair. When he says "It was brutal, it was brutal" ... Cruise laughs.

Then when the lawyer says "Do you believe the situations [being in a movie and fighting a war in Afghanistan] are the same?" ... Cruise becomes almost indignant and says, "Oh come on." At this point he is clearly saying they're not the same.

Short story. It seems like Cruise got sucked into the lawyer's hyperbole and was showing a little too much macho at the beginning of the exchange, when he said, "That's what it feels like. It was brutal, it was brutal." And then when the lawyer crystallized it ... Cruise realized what was happening and made a clear statement he didn't view his acting like fighting in a war.

I know, she was so pretty before she plumped her lips and did heaven knows what to her cheeks.

I will wrinkle & age but I think I'll still look better than half of Hollywood trying too hard.....

Tom Cruise Drops Explosive $50M Lawsuit Against Publisher Over ‘Abandoning Suri’ Claim — See The Exclusive Court Docs

Posted on Dec 20, 2013 @ 15:00PM | By Amber Ryland - News Editor

RadarOnline

Tom Cruise has dropped his bombshell $50 million lawsuit against a magazine publishing company who claimed he had “abandoned” his daughter, Suri, RadarOnline.com is reporting.

Resolved on Friday, both parties — Cruise and Bauer Media Group — agreed to dismissal and both sides will pay for their own legal costs, The Hollywood Reporter first reported.

The lawsuit garnered plenty of headlines throughout the course of its run, with Radar publishing numerous exclusive reports from the explosive court documents and depositions.

Bauer’s publication, Life & Style, published a cover story in Oct. 2012 claiming the action star had “abandoned” Suri after his split from Katie Holmes, prompting Cruise to take legal action.

Cruise’s lawyer Bert Fields told THR at the time, “Tom doesn’t go around suing people. He’s not a litigious guy. But when these sleaze peddlers try to make money with disgusting lies about his relationship with his child, you bet he’s going to sue.”

Private details of Cruise and Holmes’ life became public news through the litigation, one of the biggest bombshells being the Mission: Impossible actor admitting his participation in the Church of Scientology played a role in his nasty divorce from Holmes.

As Radar exclusively reported on Dec. 10, lawyers representing German magazine empire Bauer Media were considering subpoenaing Holmes to sit for a deposition — which might have prompted Cruise to drop the lawsuit.

If Holmes were to be deposed, a source said, at the center of any interrogation would inevitably be questions about whether she believed her ex-husband “abandoned” their daughter after their divorce — the reason he is suing the Bauer publications for, alleging they defamed him.

Is this the first time he's dropped a lawsuit?!?! What was Katie (excuse me, "Kate") going to say that he was so afraid of everyone hearing? Do you think Tom had to pay a fine for wasting the court's time??

"Tom doesn’t go around suing people. He’s not a litigious guy....."

I think Bert Fields needs to pass the pipe, since he's clearly smoking some pretty good stuff.

Based on these pics, I'm pretty sure Katie gave birth to Suri. Those look like Mommy belly wrinkles to me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...Suri-Miami.html

Definitely. I just think she was preggo before she took up with Tommy.

^^^^ Ditto

It's been a few years, but I'm pretty sure my guess was always pregnant before Tom so the birth was earlier than they gave out and she had fake bellies after the "early" birth.

Beyonce is the one that didn't give birth :alien_dance:

"Tom doesn’t go around suing people. He’s not a litigious guy....."

I think Bert Fields needs to pass the pipe, since he's clearly smoking some pretty good stuff.

and the pope isn't catholic.

Ok well maybe right now that's not the best metaphore.

More reports of Prepon & Cruise dating.

http://pagesix.com/2014/04/16/cruise-prepo...west-it-couple/

Cruise secretly dating Laura Prepon

By Richard JohnsonApril 16, 2014 | 7:32pm

Tom Cruise hasn’t been lonely since breaking up with Katie Holmes. He’s been secretly dating fellow Scientologist Laura Prepon, who plays a lesbian drug dealer on “Orange Is the New Black.”

P.R. reps for the two denied any romance in November after the actors were spotted enjoying a cozy dinner at the Manor Hotel in Los Angeles.

However, my source on the Left Coast says Cruise and Prepon are still seeing each other, but they are being extremely careful to keep it secret. “It’s the buzz on the set of her show,” the insider told me.

The British magazine Grazia reported last fall that Cruise, 51, picked up Prepon, 34, in a vintage car and had a bottle of 1979 Merlot waiting on the table when they arrived at the Manor Hotel.

“They spent three hours laughing and joking. It’s clear Tom is smitten and after the date he was on cloud nine,” the mag reported. “They had their second date at the restaurant, too, meeting for Sunday brunch, and then she accompanied him a few days later to a dinner party at John [Travolta]’s home.”

But Cruise’s hardworking publicist quickly tried to squelch the story. “They see each other at some functions, but they are not dating,” an insider told Us Weekly. Reps for Cruise and Prepon continued to deny the romance to me on Wednesday.

Cruise — after his failed marriages to Mimi Rogers and Nicole Kidman — reportedly auditioned women as potential brides before picking third (and now ex-) wife Katie Holmes, who converted to Scientology at Tom’s insistence.

Prepon, who dated “Malcolm in the Middle” actor and fellow Scientologist Chris Masterson for years before a reported breakup in 2012, might be a better match.

hell if you like that, you'll love this:

"Poor Tom. The rigors of wrestling proved to be too much for his fragile knee. Forced to hang up his jock, he got involved with the school's production of Guys and Dolls. He dropped out of high school and the rest is history. Well, except for that photo spread in Parlee, a gay porn rag distributed throughout New York and New Jersey. Cruise's people denied that he had done any such posing, but confirmed once they were informed that issues with pictures do still exist. How frustrating that they couldn't refute the irrefutable. I think I can see his balls. "

See pic:

http://www.sweatpantserection.com/tom-cruise-gay.html

Edited by mostlylurker

I could believe the PR bs purely for the PR bs. But I seriously do not think they are dating, since Prepon is more of a man (sorry Laura) than Tom will ever be. Do you seriously see him dating someone taller than he is?

Edited by alpierce

Do you seriously see him dating someone taller than he is?

You're kidding, right? All his wives & girlfriends are taller than he is!

Personally, I think it's smart to *start* with a $cieno - easier than trying to brainwash ;-)