sanlee

Gwyneth Paltrow & Chris Martin

"Everything in my life that's good is because I worked my ass off to get it and to maintain it."

Aaaaaand this is why I hate Gwyneth Paltrow. Born on third base and think you hit a triple much? I have no doubt she works hard, but PLEASE. When Michael Douglas pulls strings to get you into UCSB (I mean, seriously....UCSB?), you do NOT get to act like you are a self-made woman. When you get your start in acting because your mother arranges for you to play the young female lead in a summer-stock production in which she is the star, you do not get to act like you are a self-made woman. When you go to Spence, you do not get to act like you are a self-made woman. When you can spend thousands an hour on a personal trainer like some of us spend $4 on a latte, you do not get to act like you are a self-made woman. It's not charming to be so clueless about the struggles that the vast majority of people endure to attain half what was handed to you on a silver platter. It's ignorant. It's narcissistic. It's monstrously self-involved.

Damn, I'm crabby today.

No, you're 100% spot on here.

Yep, completely agree with your assessment of Goopy.

I don't know. I guess I don't hate her as much as everyone else does. I've kind of liked her in the movies I have seen; I really like her character in "Iron Man."

Yes, she has had many advantages in life, but she acknowledges that, and I think she has a point about making something out of what is handed to you. I have not read any interviews with her where she claims to have overcome all kinds of obstacles. My impression is that if she were not a famous actress married to a famous rock star, she would be one of those driven, yoga moms at school who somehow find the time to volunteer for everything, be super-fit, have a spotless house and still are relentlessly perky and put-together in that "Oh, this? Oh, it's just the only thing I had to put on this morning that was clean!" way. All of this can be extremely annoying to the rest of us, which might be why she engenders so much hatred.

Edited by theempress

I don't know. I guess I don't hate her as much as everyone else does. I've kind of liked her in the movies I have seen; I really like her character in "Iron Man."

Yes, she has had many advantages in life, but she acknowledges that, and I think she has a point about making something out of what is handed to you. I have not read any interviews with her where she claims to have overcome all kinds of obstacles. My impression is that if she were not a famous actress married to a famous rock star, she would be one of those driven, yoga moms at school who somehow find the time to volunteer for everything, be super-fit, have a spotless house and still are relentlessly perky and put-together in that "Oh, this? Oh, it's just the only thing I had to put on this morning that was clean!" way. All of this can be extremely annoying to the rest of us, which might be why she engenders so much hatred.

The problem is that she is her own worst enemy. She has this disconnect with the audience and she doesn't realize that this the case when she does interviews or promotes a website. She puts her personal life out there...and she doesn't think there will be some criticism? It would be interesting if she had a website that details her running of a non-profit organization or charity...that would be kinda cool. Or maybe cooking recipes that aren't kinda elitist.

She probably shouldn't be talking. Her talks usually begin with her complaining about something, (English people are better than Americans) or discussing her life as if she is really, really, is that interesting(someone should tell her...uhhh....she's not). She just doesn't get it. We don't like our celebs to talk about themselves and what makes them so great or the daily "struggles" they have to persevere. Unless she's telling the story of living in a car with in Hollywood...trying to go to auditions, for that big break. She's torpedoing the illusion that celebs are relatable to the average person. You don't tell the audience how down to Earth you are, how people are unfair to you, or reveal your "stressful" schedule on a website about YOU, living the life of a celebrity...You don't talk about how hard you work...YOU SHUTUP AND SHOW IT THROUGH YOUR ACTIONS.

All of that...and your name your kid Apple....c'mon...Apple? :BangHead:

"Everything in my life that's good is because I worked my ass off to get it and to maintain it."

Aaaaaand this is why I hate Gwyneth Paltrow. Born on third base and think you hit a triple much? I have no doubt she works hard, but PLEASE. When Michael Douglas pulls strings to get you into UCSB (I mean, seriously....UCSB?), you do NOT get to act like you are a self-made woman. When you get your start in acting because your mother arranges for you to play the young female lead in a summer-stock production in which she is the star, you do not get to act like you are a self-made woman. When you go to Spence, you do not get to act like you are a self-made woman. When you can spend thousands an hour on a personal trainer like some of us spend $4 on a latte, you do not get to act like you are a self-made woman. It's not charming to be so clueless about the struggles that the vast majority of people endure to attain half what was handed to you on a silver platter. It's ignorant. It's narcissistic. It's monstrously self-involved.

Damn, I'm crabby today.

Brilliant. :1smile:

Damn, I'm crabby today.

She comes from a position of privilege that most of us aren't born into. This is what makes her smugness so annoying. She's smug about an accident of birth. Good for her. But it makes me a little nauseated.

Gwyneth talks to her daughter Apple.] -- I have to do a tiny bit more work. How's your tooth? Let me see.

Apple had a tooth pulled. She had an abscess.

Ouch.

Why does this child have an abscess tooth at her age? Why did she have a tooth pulled? I am not a dentist but something is not right here. My daughter is almost 12 and still has 11 baby teeth still to loose. She has never had a cavity and sees the dentist twice a year. We do not follow a macro-micro-no meat - no junk food diet in the house but there is a limit on pop. candy, and even juice. One thing that she had drank since she was a year old was milk. She would order milk at every resturant we went to with no prompting from us her parents. I might be missing something here but no child should have a tooth pulled for decay when they have access to see a dentist on a regular basis.

Does it say the tooth was pulled from decay? When I was ~11-12 (7-8th grade) I had a bunch of teeth pulled - 4 baby and 4 adult - because my mouth was too small for my teeth (got my dad's mouth and mom's teeth ;-) I had to wear a bionator for a year and then braces. I'm lucky I never had an abcess or infection - but there are reasons beyond decay that teeth are removed....

Yes, my daughter had a number of teeth pulled because the adult teeth were trying to come in but the baby teeth were no where near falling out.

Apple had a tooth pulled. She had an abscess.

Quote from interview above, I understand the no rroom for adult teeth as I am thinking we will have to do that with my daughter especially since braces are in her future. But I don't understand having an abscess.

Damn, I'm crabby today.

She comes from a position of privilege that most of us aren't born into. This is what makes her smugness so annoying. She's smug about an accident of birth. Good for her. But it makes me a little nauseated.

I hear her voice in my head saying: "Let them eat cake!"

Yes, my daughter had a number of teeth pulled because the adult teeth were trying to come in but the baby teeth were no where near falling out.

I really don't want to defend Fishsticks, but I had to have my baby teeth pulled because they were not ready to come out when my adult teeth started to come in. My parents took me to the dentist every 6 months, I brushed, flossed, and had a limit on sweets. I still ended up with two abscesses above my K-9's because the adult teeth were putting too much pressure on the baby teeth. It can happen, even with great dental health.

Yeah, an abcess- it happens, sometimes even when you do everything you're supposed to do. I have enough reasons to dislike Goopy - I don't hold this against her.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Yeah, an abcess- it happens, sometimes even when you do everything you're supposed to do. I have enough reasons to dislike Goopy - I don't hold this against her.

Thanks. But damn... really wanted to take away Mom of the year crown from her.

Thanks. But damn... really wanted to take away Mom of the year crown from her.

Don't worry...I'll still snatch it. :4biggrin:

Maybe Fishsticks caused the abcess? With that Macro-Bio diet bull sh*t...but I prefer the Holier than thou attitude is causing poor little Apple to grind her teeth. :alien_dance:

I thought she gave up the macro diet for good when she was pregnant 2nd time? She does cleanses - but she fixes chicken and whatnot. Yes, I actually watched one of her Goop videos. She doesn't make her kids eat vegan or macrobiotic or raw or anything. I'm sure they get less junk food than Brad & Angie's kids, but still - I think what she feeds them is normal enough.

She can feed them normal...but having a name like Apple, isn't. ;)

She can feed them normal...but having a name like Apple, isn't. ;)

I agree. Moses isn't really normal either, though the standard deviation around "normal" with names these days is HUGE.

:smileapprove: She's so normal that she never talks about her husband??

You're right!

What's truly weird is that she'll talk about her "husband" but won't ever say his name. Now, I might do that on public message boards like this - and refer to HoyaHubby etc. But I'm not a public figure. Married to ANOTHER public figure. That everyone knows she's married to. And I know I'm not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition but I'm too upset to figure out how to reword that right now :unsure:

Gwyneth Paltrow Goops on Gays and the Bible

Today 2:22 PM PDT by Marc Malkin

Preach, Gwyneth Paltrow!

It's no surprise that the Oscar winner supports gay rights, so it totally makes since that she's decided to toast Gay Pride month on her Goop blog.

However, what did come as a bit of surprise is...

She decided to tackle the hot button issue of gays and religion.

"A few months ago, in the heat of the tragic teen suicides that came about from intolerance of homosexuality, I saw a man on television who was apologizing for wishing death on gays from his Facebook page," Paltrow writes in a post, titled "Homosexuality in the Bible." "This member of an Arkansas school board was contrite for the violence in his words, but maintained that his values pertaining to homosexuality would remain, as he felt homosexuality was condemned in the bible."

The Oscar winner goes on to write, "When my daughter come home from school one day saying that a classmate had two mommies, my response was, 'Two mommies? How lucky is she?!' What does it actually say in the bible that will cause some people to be upset by my line of thinking?"

Paltrow also includes a couple of other pro-gay writings from a Episcopal priests as well as one from Kabbalah guru Michael Berg.

But she also posted a not-so-supportive argument from Dr. John Stott of All Souls Church in London. A note before his anti-gay Bible thumping reads, "We wanted as many perspectives as possible on this issue and so we are also including a more conservative voice here below."

Bravo to Paltrow for her pro-gay stance and teaching her children about acceptance—and even for her willingness to listen to opposing points of view.

But consider this: Let's say she was writing about Jewish pride—would she have felt the need to include an anti-Semitic point of view? Or how about celebrating Black History Month with the inclusion of a racist's rantings?

Until the basic human rights of gay people are accepted similarly—as long overdue by some who would use their faith as a reason to hate or divide—we still have a long way to go, Goop.

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/marc_malki...l#ixzz1OosxlBdB

Sooooo....wonder how much this pic is photoshopped? I know she is in good shape but don't buy it for a minute that this isn't retouched.