Kath

British Royals

10 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

And because it's different - Zara has lost her license for 6m for speeding - same road her mum was caught speeding on as well. She & her husband were on Top Gear this past season - she does have a lead foot!

https://pagesix.com/2020/01/08/zara-tindall-queen-elizabeths-granddaughter-banned-from-driving-for-six-months/

Why people who can afford to have a driver choose to drive themselves is beyond me. I cannot stand driving. Hiring a driver would be one of the first things I'd do upon getting a little extra money. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Maxiemom said:

And yet The Firm still hasn't publicly said boo about Randy Andy.....

But first, let’s not forget that there’s another member of the British royal family who has stepped back (though involuntarily in his case) from royal duties because of his association with Jeffrey Epstein, the dead rapist pedophile. That, of course, would be Prince Andrew and today, on Good Morning Britain, Dickie Arbiter, the Queen’s former spokesperson, when asked how the Queen’s doing over all this Harry and Meghan business, said that, “The Queen will be feeling very let down and very angry. Probably more angry than she felt after Andrew’s car crash interview last year”. Which elicited gasps from people in the studio. And then he continued, “Because look, the Epstein and Andrew thing has been going on for ages.”

Good to know that rape and sex trafficking become less offensive over time. 

Dickie hasn’t worked with the Queen in 20 years so I don’t know if he’s still an authority about her “feelings” but it does tell you about certain attitudes over what is and isn’t considered offensive. 

From Lainey's intro today https://www.laineygossip.com/(F(0F4ED215E55B84DF5912EC119F32A170DFFB2A137E774830AC1F8DAA92DBE2ECE7C5B830E68736B3664D35EA73D927AC35B3B24455E9B9A31AF61DE36DE3A2C868044A35F6A5596F67354D2F4ED39092670967FF477471DA3E89E771A73E86B7))/the-queens-former-spokesperson-says-she-is-likely-more-angry-about-prince-harry-meghan-than-she-was-about-prince-andrews-newsnight-interview-and-intro-for-january-9-2020/61339

I think this is where I am - that utopian middle where truth is? ?

https://www.laineygossip.com/prince-harry-meghan-markle-attempt-to-clarify-inaccurate-coverage-of-finances-on-new-website/61343

Come on. You can be onside with Harry and Meghan against the tabloids for their racist coverage and onside with them against the nefarious factions within the royal households but also acknowledge that, ultimately, they’re celebrities, and they enjoy the spotlight  

Sorry, but yes, I'm a bit obsessed ? Good info from BBC on their finances https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-51047186

Most current expenses paid by Prince of Wales (who does the same for William & Kate). A little from the Sovereign Grant - housing and things like that. [I don't understand this - Sovereign grant is money from the UK government to the Queen/Royal Family, BUT it's funded by profits from the Crown Estate eg the Queen's property.....I don't understand when brits complain it's taxpayer money that funds this. What step/link am I missing?? I know security and other costs do come from government/taxpayer funded....]

Then the trust funds from Diana & Elizabeth (the Queen Mother).

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/duchess-meghan-is-definitely-leading-the-charge-on-royal-decisions/?utm_source=email&em_hash=5d989d9ecd736b8131c14072926e952e

“They’re planning to split their time between Canada and L.A. They already have a home setting in Canada. That will be their base,” the second source explains. “They are house hunting in L.A., but L.A. will be more of a holiday home. Meghan’s definitely behind the move.”

And there it i$....

I don’t know what to think about Meghan. The press coverage since the royal wedding has been brutal and it makes me think where there’s smoke there’s fire. On the other hand, I can’t ignore the obvious racism and have to wonder what role that has played in the coverage of her. Here is a thoughtful opinion piece from the New York Times on racism in Britain and the treatment of Meghan. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/opinion/meghan-markle-prince-harry.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

And because it's different - Zara has lost her license for 6m for speeding - same road her mum was caught speeding on as well. She & her husband were on Top Gear this past season - she does have a lead foot!

https://pagesix.com/2020/01/08/zara-tindall-queen-elizabeths-granddaughter-banned-from-driving-for-six-months/

Good day to be Zara and have this pass without notice. Already having 9 points before this offence suggests she is indeed a speed demon! 

2 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I am generally also there with you and - absent the creepy sex trafficking stuff obviously - I actually think this is very similar to the space where Andrew wants to sit, except he is there with successful businesspeople rather than Hollywood celebrities. 

there are racism issues in Britain that M has brought to the fore, and it’s awful to see and I do feel for her on that front. The pressure must be immense. That doesn’t mean she is not trying to use it to her advantage, for her own ends. 

equally the tabloids did go after Kate a lot in her early years with William because we also have class issues, yay! Her family were seen as social climbers, now they’re saints. 

i think my advice would be - just don’t marry royal. ?

1 hour ago, Hoyaheel said:

Sorry, but yes, I'm a bit obsessed ? Good info from BBC on their finances https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-51047186

Most current expenses paid by Prince of Wales (who does the same for William & Kate). A little from the Sovereign Grant - housing and things like that. [I don't understand this - Sovereign grant is money from the UK government to the Queen/Royal Family, BUT it's funded by profits from the Crown Estate eg the Queen's property.....I don't understand when brits complain it's taxpayer money that funds this. What step/link am I missing?? I know security and other costs do come from government/taxpayer funded....]

Then the trust funds from Diana & Elizabeth (the Queen Mother).

I believe the main argument goes that the money from the crown state is intended to be used for the administration of the country as a whole (so the plebs don’t get upset about the fact one family basically owns the island by virtue of being borne, you know? ;) ).

Anything that is then given “back” to the Queen could technically otherwise have been used by the government to fund other public services like the NHS, education, police etc instead - so by giving an amount to the Queen it then requires the taxpayers to make up the gap in funding for those services (through higher taxation than would theoretically otherwise be required). I don’t think it’s direct taxpayer funding as such, it’s almost more an opportunity cost? 

the reality is way more complicated obviously - you can argue the royal family results in the country collecting more money by way of tourism than it otherwise would. But then the counter to that is how much does the family itself actually add, if people would still come to see the palaces even without active royals? Edinburgh castle hasn’t been used in centuries but is still a major visitor attraction, for example. 

so the taxpayers money argument is potentially because a lot of people would like to pay less tax but still maintain or improve public services, and this is a clearly visible outflow of money that doesn’t necessarily create value for those people, so it’s an easy target. Reality is again that the civil service as a whole is hugely inefficient (in my experience, as I work a lot with a government department) and likely ‘wastes’ far more money than the Queen gets. 

or it’s just that we like a moan when it’s cold and raining, which is most of the time ;)  

this is long, and just my take on it - I grumble but reality is I don’t care that much day to day ?

• Like 4

Thanks Wordsworth! That was very helpful. 

In other royal news that I missed Rose Hanbury and her husband were at church with Kate and Will on Sunday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7856179/amp/Kate-Middleton-Prince-William-seen-friend-Rose-Hanbury.html

Edited by witchkitten
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

publicist-2.png

Public Relations Chaos

January 10, 2020

[Blind Gossip] There are a lot of messy celebrities.

It is the job of their publicist to make them look less messy.

This actress has been messier than most.

She tries to come across as mature and self-contained, but both her behavior and her press have been nothing short of bizarre and chaotic.

In the past few years, our TV actress she has gone from promoting herself… to hiring a Hollywood PR team… to using her new family’s PR team… to going back again to the Hollywood PR team (which did not sit well with the family).

Whew! No wonder the branding and messaging have been so crazy!

However, there is something interesting going on right now.

A media person called the actress’ Hollywood PR team to get verification of something… and the Hollywood PR team said that they no longer represent her!

What?!

We’re not exactly sure what this means.

Did she fire her publicist in the middle of this crisis? Did they quit? Are they handling her newly-formed organization but not her personally? Is she trying to do her own PR again? Did she hire a new publicist?

Since she is so high profile, you would think that a new PR professional would happily announce themselves as having snagged her as a client. Yet… crickets.

No one seems to know what’s going on. This is all very odd. And very chaotic.

As usual.

Similar: His Mess To Fix

Actress:

[Optional] If she asked for your advice, what would you tell her?

• Haha 1

Based on the source, both the magazine and the person, I’m guessing they e sent out their proxies to begin damage control and gain sympathy. From Hello online.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle feel they are 'being driven out' according to friend Tom Bradby

The ITV reporter filmed the couple's documentary in South Africa

Chloe BestJanuary 10, 2020 - 07:55 GMT

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's decision to step back from royal duties follows "really bad personal splits" within the royal family, according to Tom Bradby. The ITV reporter, who is also a friend of the couple and filmed their documentary in South Africa, opened up about the reason behind the shock decision on Thursday evening's ITV News broadcast, and said Prince Harry and Meghan felt they had been "driven out".

WATCH: Everything you need to know about Prince Harry and Meghan's shock decision

Tom also said that while it is understood the Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William hadn't been informed before the statement was released on Wednesday, there had been discussions within the family about Prince Harry and Meghan's future roles "for some weeks". Speaking on ITV News, Tom explained: "And certainly as I understand it what happened is he was asked by members of his family — or at least his officials — to put some of these ideas in writing. He said, 'I really don’t want to do that because it normally leaks.' And they were very insistent in order to go forward and discuss it properly it had to be put in writing. He did put it in writing, and it did leak. So yes, I don't think [the royal family] got much heads-up as to the actual announcement, but they certainly knew what was going on. I think [Harry] felt once it had been leaked all bets were off."

MORE: 12 questions we have as Prince Harry and Meghan step back from royal duties

Tom Bradby says Prince Harry and Meghan feel like they are being "driven out"

Speaking about the reason behind the Duke and Duchess' decision to step back from royal duties, Tom added: "There've been a lot of fallouts; a lot of harsh things were said around the time of the wedding. And it's gone a bit too far. And certainly the rest of the family find Harry and Meghan very difficult and, from Harry and Meghan’s point of view, they’re just being driven out as they see it. And it's sad."

RELATED: 4 other royals who stepped back from royal duties

The ITV reporter was a guest at the royal wedding

The royal couple also reportedly want to "make a break for independence and freedom" after seeing how the monarchy is focusing on direct heirs Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince George. "'You wanted a slimmed-down monarchy. There's no place for us in it,'" Tom said of their viewpoint. "'We need to learn to live on our own. We want to get on and do that.'"

Make sure you never miss a ROYAL story! Sign up to our newsletter to get all of our celebrity, royal and lifestyle news delivered directly to your inbox.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, witchkitten said:

Thanks Wordsworth! That was very helpful. 

In other royal news that I missed Rose Hanbury and her husband were at church with Kate and Will on Sunday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7856179/amp/Kate-Middleton-Prince-William-seen-friend-Rose-Hanbury.html

Oh that reminds me of something I saw today on Twitter - which was the suggestion that there’s a widespread story in the US that Harry and William fell out not over Meghan but over William having an affair. Is this really a big story that the UK press aren’t reporting?

I’d heard the Rose rumour, originally on NA sites as it hasn’t been big news here (which could fit with the idea the press are being fed stuff about M&H in return for protecting the Cambridges) - but the idea the brothers fell out over this was news to me. 

• Like 2

I'd definitely heard the affair rumors (esp as Rose but not her husband? were at the last state dinner w/ our feckless president....) but hadn't heard that's why the brothers have been distant. But I really haven't been reading US tabloids about this so I could definitely be off the grid, info wise......

• Like 1

Somewhere along the way (I would have sworn it was here), I read that Meghan was the source of the leaks about the affair. Not necessarily maliciously, but that THAT was the genesis of the brothers fight. I read that way back when the story first hit. And i also read that Harry was super pissed that William was repeating history by treating Kate as Charles had treated his mom. That’s two different stories, so who knows if there is any truth to any of it.

Edited by dixiedoodah
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that the Rose/Will affair wasn’t big gossip over there. It was a pretty big story here. I also heard the rumor that Harry was angry with Will over the affair and that that was the reason for the falling out but I didn’t give it much credit. It just sounds preposterous given how close Will and Harry were. I’ve also heard the rumors that Meghan leaked the story but I also find that a little hard to believe, although I would believe that over Harry and Will falling out because Will had an affair. 

• Like 2

Thanks all. 

The Rose affair story picked up little bit of speed in the UK papers after I’d read about it on NA sites, but it has definitely not been overtly and widely covered - it’s oblique references if anything (like that DM story about church - they know exactly why they’re pointing out Rose was there but not really saying it).

Which is weird given that it’s been a long, long time since U.K. papers refrained from big negative stories about the royals (I think probably Edwards abdication was a turning point there). so I understand why there might be a hmmmm around why the press are going after one couple and not the other. 

But this is also the first I’d heard about Meghan possibly being behind the leak, and that could be innocent but could also well be not (surely tipping off the tabs or paps is from the minor Hollywood celeb playbook?). 

again I’m back in the middle ground that neither side is squeaky clean. I’m starting to feel sorry for Kate - husbands affair exposed, birthday ruined...and she is one party in all this I believe would not want to put a foot wrong! 

• Like 1

Yeah, Kate has been working her ass off for 20 years to be the perfect Queen Consort in training and not take one wrong step. I'm sure she's not perfect -we're all human - but I agree she's probably tried the hardest to fit in and do exactly what the Firm wants her to do.....It seemed like in the past couple years, she was relaxing into her role more, too (again, that's just my perception of her public persona.....)

• Like 1

From the sounds of this Elle.com article, they are pretty far into this process. She recorded this even before the holidays. The more that comes out, the more duplicitous it makes them sound towards the family. Sloppy, tacky, poorly handled.

I don’t think very many people object to their desire to go off on their own, he’s so far down the succession now, who really faults them for the instinct, but just EVERYTHING about it has seemed poorly thought out, disrespectful, and shady. 

Honestly, what it feels like to me is a petulant and overindulged child who has never had to do anything for himself (including his school work or so they say) and doesn’t realize that without his enablers he is completely out of his depth and yet decides to throw caution to the wind and “Do it myself!”  

Meghan Markle Has Signed A Voiceover Deal With Disney

Jan 11, 2020
The Duke And Duchess Of Sussex Visit Canada House
WPA PoolGetty Images

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are kicking off the first few days of 2020 by grabbing the world's attention. On Wednesday, they announced that they are going to step back as "senior" members of the royal family and will be splitting their time between the U.K. and North America. The royal family has to work out a lot of details about future plans for Meghan, Harry, and their son, Archie, but fans will take what they can get for now. 

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

Meghan and Harry followers might be interested to know that the Duchess of Sussex has signed a voiceover deal with Disney to benefit wildlife charity Elephants Without Borders, according to The Times

Per the publication, there has been one report that the royal family, who seemed somewhattaken off guard by the couples' official announcement to break away from their royal duties, accused the couple before Christmas of already signing deals with "firms including Disney." The Times adds that the duchess had already recorded the voiceover before she and Prince Harry left for Canada for the holidays

This move to work with Disney is just another step in Harry and Meghan's move to separate their charity work from that of Prince William and Kate Middleton. In June 2019, they first filed to register a trademark for their own foundation. The filing was officially published at the end of December, signifying that the duke and duchess, who can now be found at their website here, are pulling away from the charitable work of William and Kate. 

Before Archie was born in early May, Harry and Meghan moved to Frogmore Cottage in Windsor. This was an early sign that Harry and Meghan were not going to hold tight to the idea of the "Fab Four."

This week's news seems to confirm this further. 

Hilary Weaver Hilary Weaver is a freelance writer based in New York who writes about politics, queer issues, Meryl Streep, Glenn Close, and every woman the Queen has ever made a dame.
Edited by dixiedoodah
  • Like 1

Interesting twitter thread chasing history of leaks, bias against Meghan in press (it's a twitter person who is solidly Team Meghan but the links are interesting) Asserting that William went to Cartel and said - don't report on my affair, you can say anything you want about Meghan. Ouch! I'd split from that team too!!

• Like 1

Even if Meghan is the worst, which I have my doubts about (I’m with Hoya in believing the truth is somewhere in the middle), the poor royal family narrative makes me roll my eyes. I love royal gossip but I’ve increasingly come to think that the institution and all those involved at the upper levels are toxic. They all knew about the Andrew/Epstein scandal since at least 2010. There was a Vanity Fair article about it right before Will and Kate’s marriage that someone posted on this forum ages ago. That was the first time Virginia Roberts tried to alert the public about Epstein and Prince Andrew and the palace buried the story. Even if you argue they were just trying to protect the monarchy, there seemed to be no personal consequences for Andrew, no reports that he was on the outs with the Queen or Prince Phillip at any time afterward. These people just accepted his behavior and helped cover it up. I just don’t have sympathy for any of them, except maybe Kate since I doubt she has much say in anything. Even once things heated up with Epstein’s arrest/suicide and Andrew’s disastrous interview the Queen apparently had to be convinced by Charles and William that Andrew needed to step down from royal duties. And it’s not because he participated in sex trafficking and knowingly cavorted with a pedophile that Charles and Will wanted him out, because they knew about that for almost a decade or longer, but because he got caught. If I were a citizen of the UK I probably would be advocating for abolishing the monarchy, not only because of the financial consequences of having one, but because I wouldn’t want this family representing me. So Meghan may or may not be awful (she does seem to be a bit of an opportunist) but I have zero sympathy for the royal family. 

ETA: I found the article from 2011 about Andrew. It’s a very interesting read especially in light of what’s come out since. 

https://archive.vanityfair.com/article/share/ac60f552-4163-4d39-a36b-d2014fe20062

Edited by witchkitten
  • Like 1

Whether you support Harry or William or the Queen or none of them, it’s Interesting to see that this has really caused an increase in the “time to chuck the royals” talk. Looks like their best move is to be pleasant and make no waves but the last 6 months have shot that to hell. Will just sit back and see if it goes anywhere. Also, not a lot of big celebrity gossip seems to be happening now, so nothing else to chit chat about!

• Like 1