Kath

British Royals

Speaking of getting rid of the royal family, there was a good article in The New Yorker about the citizens of Brighton, which is in Sussex, signing a petition asking the city to oppose the couple using the titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex. The organizer opposes the idea of the monarchy and aristocracy rather than the couple themselves. It was an interesting read. 

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/prince-harry-and-meghan-markles-royal-flush

So it’s over and they are out. To be honest, I would have had tons of respect for them if they had come out with this in the first place. This is understandable for who Harry has been and seen. This is respectable. The whole “have your cake and eat it too” statement was just grubby and gross and totally turned me off. I wish them well in private life. I think they both get what they want out of this, even if I think that’s two different things. But man, what a PR nightmare for something that could have been spun so incredibly positively for his goodwill. 

Harry and Meghan will not use HRH titles - palace https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51163865

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dixiedoodah said:

So it’s over and they are out. To be honest, I would have had tons of respect for them if they had come out with this in the first place. This is understandable for who Harry has been and seen. This is respectable. The whole “have your cake and eat it too” statement was just grubby and gross and totally turned me off. I wish them well in private life. I think they both get what they want out of this, even if I think that’s two different things. But man, what a PR nightmare for something that could have been spun so incredibly positively for his goodwill. 

Harry and Meghan will not use HRH titles - palace https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51163865

I agree this is a better arrangement for everyone but I’m not sure the first announcement was them wanting to have their cake and eat it too. It sounds as though the rest of the family wanted them to stay (all reported leaks and the official statement after their announcement seem to indicate this) so I wonder if the one foot out/one foot in stuff was to try to appease the Queen, Charles, and William while still being able to live in Canada and accept work like the Disney deal, which they otherwise could not have done. Or maybe it was a bit of both. 

• Like 1

I think H&M were perhaps a bit naive as to how people were going to react to their first proposal, to be honest. I think they may have expected the people who are huge fans of the royals (and of Harry) to be ok with it, even applaud it “in the name of diana” but a lot of the staunch royalists seemed to take it as a slap in the face, almost a betrayal. The Queen is such a figurehead, she’s aging and already having a hard time, and I think a lot of people are upset that she’s been put through this, by her beloved grandson no less. (Because god forbid we mention her beloved son.) 

For some reason (and I am fully prepared to be wrong LOL) I feel like the palace really played hardball on this re taking away the titles, paying back the money, etc, whether that’s due to anger at how it unfolded or not. The image of the royals is getting away from them, with Andrew then this, so they may want to make a stand that the institution will endure, and if you’re not helping on that front, you’re out. 

Apologies for the double post but i forgot to I also think the statement “they understand that they are required to step back from royal duties, including official military appointments.” is hinting that this wasn’t necessarily what H&M wanted if given the choice - the specific mention of military appointments is particularly interesting in that regard given it’s well documented that Harry’s time in the army might have been the best of his life (before meeting Meghan at least). Supporting current and ex members of the armed forces was his thing - I assume the invictus games will continue at least. 

If we believe Lainey, it came out the way it did because of the leak to one of the tabloids, so H&M rushed to get their statement out ahead of more leaks.....The statement probably wasn't ready and they hadn't hammered out details with Family.....

Hello added a few other minor details, the most interesting one being this (so they are still not really going it alone, but that’s the fathers prerogative to support his kid) :

The Prince of Wales will continue to offer "private financial support" to the couple, which may not necessarily be from his Duchy of Cornwall income.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, dixiedoodah said:

Hello added a few other minor details, the most interesting one being this (so they are still not really going it alone, but that’s the fathers prerogative to support his kid) :

The Prince of Wales will continue to offer "private financial support" to the couple, which may not necessarily be from his Duchy of Cornwall income.

Interestingly enough The Daily Hate, sorry Mail, had a story weekend that supporting both his kids is “draining Charles financially”. My heart bleeds. 

I did think this was a good opinion column from the former editor of The Guardian, a paper not exactly known for a love of the royals.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/19/there-is-a-reason-why-royals-demonised-but-wont-read-all-about-it-prince-harry-meghan-markle

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoyaheel said:

Archie thinks snow is awesome. I do wonder - are they planning on Vancouver or Toronto, or someplace no one has yet mentioned???

https://www.today.com/parents/prince-harry-reveals-baby-archie-just-saw-snow-first-time-t172146

I reckon they might end up in the US now, given the full step back. 

• Like 1

crisis-clinic.jpg

Shut Down The Crisis

January 20, 2020

[Blind Gossip] The most important thing to keep in mind as you read this is the following: Both sides of this family are liars!

They lied about the siblings reconciling.

They had to put up a united front to fulfill a diplomatic obligation. However, they are definitely still estranged.

They lied about the women taking part in the conversation and talking to each other.

At no point were either wives involved in the meetings, nor did they speak to each other. In fact, [the wives] have not spoken in months.

They lied about seriously considering taking away titles.

There is a distinct hierarchy here within the family and it was quickly decided that absolutely no outsider could ever be allowed to disrupt that traditional structure for any reason. It would be unfathomable and degrading to require a former senior person to genuflect to an inferior.

They lied about wanting to lead a quieter life out of the media spotlight.

He acknowledges internally that his decision actually means that the media will be even more intrusive going forward. It is a trade-off for other goals, such as monetary gain.

They lied about considering taking away his house.

They eventually want to bring him back into the fold, even if that event is several years hence. They need to play the long game to make it easy for him to return. Permanently stripping him of everything would have had the opposite effect.

So, why are both sides lying?

There was a determination that the crisis needed to be shut down quickly.

The only way the chaotic media feeding frenzy would stop is if the family pretended that all options were seriously considered; that all important matters were settled; and that all parties parted amicably.

Many compromises had to be made in the name of expediency.

We’re not so sure those compromises were good ones.

While not all of them were optimal, the necessity to quiet the chaos and return to stability was paramount.

We might be giving them too much credit, but perhaps one side knew that causing extreme chaos would result in them getting more of what they wanted?

Perhaps. However, the family is confident that their decision to play the long game is the correct one.

We’ll see if that strategy pays off in the next few years!

Similar: Stockholm Boy

Family:

[Optional] Who were the winners and the losers in this chaotic event?

I’d agree with the central speculation that they in it for the long haul because the marriage won’t last and eventually he will be back. That family has at least a 50% divorce rate In recent years, and this is already a high maintenance marriage, so the odds are that eventually they will split and they want him to come back.

• Like 1

Alternatively, and more cynically (but also less so...) as Markle ages, she could be less in demand for "outside" financially lucrative options, making her desire to return to the Royal fold....

On 11/12/2019 at 5:25 PM, princess said:

mean-girls-im-sick.jpg

I’m Sick

November 12, 2019

[Blind Gossip] There is a funny scene in Mean Girls in which Karen (played by actress Amanda Seyfried) claims illness in order to stay home.

She gives a little struggle cough and says, “I’m sick.”

That is close to what went down a week or so ago in the lives of this famous and feuding family.

The Mother In Law was supposed to attend an event for the first time with her Daughter in Law.

Right before the event, MIL said, “I’m sick.”

She must have been seriously ill, right?

[MIL] had a mild cold, but the woman has the constitution of a horse and it was nothing that would have ordinarily kept her from attending a scheduled event. Did you know that [MIL] was actually very sick the day of her own wedding? Yet she muddled through with nary a complaint.

Guess DIL isn’t the only actress in the family!

So why did MIL really stay home?

[MIL] has worked incredibly hard over many years to fortify her own position within the family. She was very gracious and welcoming with [DIL] in the beginning. However, she – and other family members – now find it distressing that DIL seems to be more interested in destroying the family than in joining it.

It would not behoove [MIL] to do photo ops with [The Wife] unless part of an event with many family members. Perhaps that will change in the future, but for now it seems prudent for her to keep a bit of distance.

While initial reports were that MIL would be down for a week or more with such a serious illness, she made a miraculous comeback!

Only a couple of days later, MIL attended an event at which she was surrounded by multiple family members… and did not have to do an individual photo op with Daughter in Law.

Similar: Her Own Game

Mother In Law:

Daughter In Law:

[Optional] Smart move by MIL? Or, “Boo, you whore!”

From Celebitchy via Lainey yesterday:

It’s a Royal Video Assumption – our favourite game of baseless conclusions! The feature subject this time is Camilla who was asked, unexpectedly, about Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and whether she would miss them and she threw up a shady face and what some perceive to be a terse response, leading to some to wonder whether or not there’s drama between the Sussexes and Camilla. Imagine the moral conundrum this might pose for Meghan haters. Because siding with Camilla is never an option. (Cele|bitchy) 

14 hours ago, witchkitten said:

Surprise surprise, Prince Andrew is not cooperating with investigators regarding Jeffery Epstein. I wonder if the British press will cover this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/27/nyregion/jeffrey-epstein-prince-andrew.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

It was the top story on the main evening news last night. 

colour me not surprised by his refusal to cooperate! Spineless man.

• Like 2

How cynical am I that I almost think the Queen is not entirely unhappy about Megxit in order to distract from Prince Andrew situation?  Interesting Andrew is headlines in UK.

• Like 3

Princess Cynical:

I wonder if Queen Elizabeth took this title (among others) in an effort to decrease M&H's earnings potential so that Harry will come back to the fold faster?

Prince Harry & Meghan Markle 'Shocked' By Losing Important Role ... We're Not Youth Ambassadors?!?

TMZ

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/28/prince-harry-meghan-markle-shocked-losing-commonwealth-youth-ambassador-role-title-megxit/

• Like 1