Kath

British Royals

Snippets/reviews of the new Sussex book are coming out - saw lots on Twitter this morning. Cambridges apparently not looking good, but of course we knew the slant the book would take....

3 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Snippets/reviews of the new Sussex book are coming out - saw lots on Twitter this morning. Cambridges apparently not looking good, but of course we knew the slant the book would take....

There are two books coming out about Harry and Meghan. I think one of them is supposed to be much less flattering to them. 

• Like 1

Hmm,  I've only seen the Omid Scobie one that is a more flattering portrayal.....

Edited by Hoyaheel

1 hour ago, Hoyaheel said:

Hmm,  I've only seen the Omid Scobie one that is a more flattering portrayal.....

That is the positive one coming out in August. There’s another tell-all, Meghan and Harry by Lady Colin Cambell, coming out next week. There’s not as much press coverage on that one. I don’t know who Lady Colin Cambell is. Apparently, she wrote a book about Diana as well. 

Oh I've seen lady colin Campbell on tv shows all the time!!! She's always talking on the royal bio shows I'm watching ? She's a character, I think!

• Like 1

Someone tweeted the photo of Will ogling Meghan that I've been looking for. Saved on my phone but still can't upload here ..

• Like 1

FaceTime in the bath, personal voicemails and private conversations between brothers: Intimate details the Finding Freedom authors included raise questions as to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's involvement

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8561485/Intimate-details-authors-included-come-Meghan-Harry.html

Intimate details laid out in a bombshell royal biography raise questions as to whether the Duke and Duchess of Sussex may have had more involvement than has been admitted - despite the couple insisting they 'did not contribute'.   

Particulars of voicemails Meghan sent to her father and tense conversations between Harry and William have been published in Finding Freedom, extracts of which were serialised by the Times and the Sunday Times this weekend.

Authors Omid Scobie and Carolyn Durand say they have spoken to more than 100 sources including 'close friends of Harry and Meghan's, royal aides and palace staff (past and present)', with all the information in the book having 'at least two sources.' 

Long article, but interesting. 

Of course Harry and Meghan contributed to that book, and in the same way William and Kate got their “close friends” to talk about how devastated they felt about that book. The truth is probably once again somewhere in the middle. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8565937/Meghan-Markles-gossip-columnist-friend-emerges-potential-source-claims-deep-rifts.html

i find this quite interesting for a couple of reasons:

(1) I basically quit reading Lainey when she pivoted to having such an ongoing focus on the royals, which seemed an odd switch to me (but that could be selfish on my part, as that’s not what I’m really after in my North American gossip sites) but 

(2) before I did quit reading her site, I had a suspicion the daily mail were lifting some (royal and non) stories from her site, as the same stuff would show up a day or so later, so I think she’s been on their radar for a while. 

Edit: I forgot to say, I know Lainey was going in hard on Prince Andrew, so who’s to say this isn’t driven by someone who’s trying to put her off? 

Edited by Wordsworth
  • Like 2

https://www.laineygossip.com/putting-the-daily-mails-article-claiming-i-am-pals-with-meghan-markle-into-perspective/66730

You knew it was coming - Lainey's rebuttal ;-) I believe that she & Meghan are not and have never been friends. She annoys me periodically, but I also think her site has better writers than other US gossip sites. Some are sooooooo poorly written, I can't stand it. Anyway, she points out the Daily Mail had the same story about shopping as her blind.....

• Like 2

I believe Lainey too, on the not being friends front.

I do think it’s possible she might have been getting stuff from the same sources as the people who’ve written the book, because gossip spreads. That’s why we (I) love it!  As I said I miss that her site is no longer my escape from royal stuff though, now it’s a daily story at least! But it’s obviously driving hits for her so I can’t imagine she’s sad I’m no longer reading. ?

This article from the guardian today is a bit how I feel about all of this royal stuff:

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/28/prince-harry-and-meghan-book-royals-flawed-finding-freedom-sussex#click=https://t.co/9V7S70lK1H

Edited by Wordsworth
  • Like 2

I agree the "truth" is somewhere in the middle, but all around I've been appalled by the racism & misogyny directed at Meghan and Kate. And classism. And....how many other isms? But it is fascinating to me. But hey - I love gossip and watch soap operas too - I'm made for this stuff ;-) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoyaheel said:

I agree the "truth" is somewhere in the middle, but all around I've been appalled by the racism & misogyny directed at Meghan and Kate. And classism. And....how many other isms? But it is fascinating to me. But hey - I love gossip and watch soap operas too - I'm made for this stuff ?

Agreed. I can’t help but notice that aspects of the British press are desperate to lay the blame at their doors even now - rather than suggest that being raised in absolute privilege might have made the blessed princes into entitled little f**kers! 

Edited by Wordsworth
  • Like 2

benjamin-franklin.png

Benjamin Franklin and The Sisterhood

July 29, 2020

[Blind Gossip] There is an old expression about secrets.

In the July 1735 issue of Poor Richard’s Almanac, Benjamin Franklin said, “Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead.”

This TV actress is learning this the hard way.

Her attempt to secretly promote herself has completely backfired and has devolved into a legal morass from which there is almost no escape.

We have a couple of interesting things to share with you about the case.

The first is that the defendants are not behaving the way she thought they would!

She is quite shocked that this is not going the way she thought it would. She thought that she was being smart to court one media source and attack the other. She was 100% sure that the [the second media source] would be intimidated and back down and settle with her. That didn’t happen.

No, it certainly did not. In fact, the second media source is enjoying the attention this case brings and is reaping the rewards of publishing multiple articles about her every day.

There is little to no incentive for them to back down.

This stopped being about the original legal claim a long time ago. This is now a referendum on HER behavior. If anything, a trial would stretch this out and be a real coup for the media company.

Another shock to her is the impact this is having on several of her friends!

It was dumb for her to involve so many people and it was really dumb for her to deny her involvement. It is clear that she is in charge of the group and that they all take their marching orders from her. There are too many emails, texts, phone conversations and video chats to coordinate the messaging for her to pretend that she had nothing to do with it.

Will all of her friends act in unison to protect her?

Not a chance. The sisterhood is breaking. Each of the friends has now had to hire and pay for their own attorney. Most of them are not celebrities themselves so this is very stressful for them. At least one attorney advised their client to temporarily cut off contact with the plaintiff until the case is resolved.

Will she protect her friends?

She may be able to protect their identity, but only if this does not go to trial. If this goes to trial, she can’t protect them. They are likely key witnesses and will certainly be deposed and exposed. 

What will the friends do?

Look, this isn’t the Mafia. This is a bunch of women who were unwittingly involved in a public relations effort gone awry. There is no attorney on earth who would advise them to perjure themselves for [Actress] on such a ridiculous matter. They will not all lie for her.

What’s the big deal if they tell the truth?

The big deal is that it will uncover the plaintiff’s big lie. She claims that she had no involvement in them contacting the media or in the messaging. She can’t afford to have that lie exposed. The public would turn on her.

That ship may have already sailed.

An additional and potentially bigger consideration is that once the friends are on the stand, other secrets and lies about her life and how she manipulates the press could be rooted out.

What is your overall opinion about how Actress has handled this?

She entered into this thinking that she was a credible and sympathetic figure and that she could walk away with a couple of million and the media firmly under her control.

These were all serious miscalculations. She overplayed her hand and this will not end well for her.

What will happen?

This will NOT go to trial.

She might try to get some small sort of settlement from the media company to cover her costs and to pretend she got a win, but the media company would actually be better off dragging this out as long as possible.

Very high probability that she will drop the case and walk away with nothing but a stack of legal bills.

How will she spin it?

She will likely try to make herself look good by claiming that she is dropping the case to protect her friends… but it’s really to protect herself.

Similar: Stockholm Boy

Actress:

[Optional] Is she a credible and sympathetic figure? What do you think will happen? Please use real names and keep your comments civil.

The Mail is indeed loving the kerfuffle, but I don’t think it will go to trial either. I am not sure a ruling that Meghan’s friends can’t have privacy is in the press’s favour - the other sources might dry up if they don’t have an expectation of privacy! And we know Will and Kate has their “friends” out to defend them recently. 

Prince Harry and Meghan Sign Megawatt Netflix Deal

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/business/media/harry-meghan-netflix.html

LOS ANGELES — Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, having resettled in California, on Wednesday unveiled new Hollywood careers.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have founded a yet-to-be-named production company and signed a multiyear deal with Netflix, which will pay them to make documentaries, docu-series, feature films, scripted shows and children’s programming — giving the couple a global platform six months after their dramatic decampment from the House of Windsor.

Harry and Meghan may appear on camera in documentary programming. But she has repeatedly made it clear that she has no plans to return to acting, having last appeared in the cable drama “Suits,” which concluded its run in 2019. Their content will be exclusive to Netflix.

“Our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope,” the couple said in a statement. “As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us.” They added that Netflix’s “unprecedented reach will help us share impactful content that unlocks action.” Netflix has 193 million subscribers worldwide.

It is unclear how much Harry and Meghan will be paid, given their lack of producing experience. A Netflix spokeswoman declined to comment.

The streaming service, however, is known for backing up Brink’s trucks when it wants to be in business with high-profile people, particularly when other entertainment companies also want their services. In recent months, Harry and Meghan have quietly talked with Disney and Apple. Variety reported earlier this month that they had met with NBCUniversal.

The couple’s production company will operate independently from their charitable foundation, which is called Archewell. The couple shut down their previous philanthropic endeavor, SussexRoyal, in March after they agreed to stop using the term “royal” for commercial or charitable activities.

• Like 1

I was just coming to post this.   I really am trying to like Meghan and Harry, but this is making it hard....   

29 minutes ago, branchop said:

I really am trying to like Meghan and Harry, but this is making it hard....   

Doesn't bother me at all. They have to make money - I have hopes their programming will have integrity. And heck, use the Obamas and Oprah as role models - they're making money too, high quality stuff, own production companies - opportunities to enhance/increase real diversity if they want to (I'm reading Lainey's piece on this now) I'm not judging. This is a hell of a lot better than whatever creepo Andy was doing trying to get rich people into the Palace for whatever reasons he had....(I do not think enhancing Britain's trade relations was his guiding motive....)

• Like 1