Kath

British Royals

1. I hate podcasts. I don't like people I cannot see talking to me.

2. I do not like Lainey's voice. Which is the 2nd reason I don't listen to her audio bits.

BUT this podcast on the Oprah interview is so interesting. I'm only halfway through - so far it's been focussed on Oprah (it's the "Show Your Work" podcast, so that makes sense) but they're just starting to get into what was said in the interview. I'm enjoying.

https://www.laineygossip.com/show-your-work-harry-meghan-oprahs-master-class/68202

I liked this article from the Irish Times. Clearly anti monarchy, but pretty fair read on the situation overall and pretty amusing first two paragraphs. Also, some of my ancestors were killed by clowns too, so I sympathize somewhat.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/harry-and-meghan-the-union-of-two-great-houses-the-windsors-and-the-celebrities-is-complete-1.4504502?fbclid=IwAR12CXE-sWsGHjPNMm-CGiZFNa-x_FQzdjIScCAlTVsp0n9Mt8EE6pcIMRM

• Haha 2

Wow. To Americans, that article is extremely offensive. At least this American. I've never found such differences with my British friends as described there.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Wow. To Americans, that article is extremely offensive. At least this American. I've never found such differences with my British friends as described there.

Agreed. That was a big, "Wow!"

• Like 1

The color of her skin matters not a jot: it is the noisome ordure which spews out of her mouth on a daily basis that grates.” Methinks “noisome ordure” spews out of certain journalists’ pens (or whatever he wrote this garbage with) as well.

He is correct about one thing, though. It’s a particularly American characteristic to avoid xenophobia. That is, we tend not to judge every person from a given country by the example set by one, good or bad. We’re not free from prejudice, but culturally, it’s something most of us reject.

So, I’m struggling with the current popularity of prioritizing group identity over individual. Assuming characteristics based on perceptions of groups, as opposed to weighing the merit of individuals, is stereotyping. Meghan Markle seems to have experienced it because of her racial identity; the royal family because of their privilege; and we Americans are reviled by this misguided, xenophbic journalist.

• Like 1

Tyche - that's an interesting perspective I hadn't thought of. 

As for groups- I think one aspect is that we (americans) are realizing it takes groups to create change. Individuals cannot change everything alone - but with a large group we can. And we've been living in a time where a lot of groups really really want to force some change.

Rod Liddle, the writer of that drivel, has a long career history of racism, misogyny, homophobia, etc. His wiki article is....yeah. Another ex tabloid hack. 

As he also managed to be racist to Scots in it as well, so please allow me to suggest he “gets tae fuck”. 

• Like 3

On a more positive note, BBC is reporting Prince Phillip is finally heading home after spending about a month in the hospital. 

• Thanks 1

The Cambridges have also been on what’s seems obvious as a big PR drive this last week.

It was U.K. mothers day on Sunday and they released cards made by the kids, including one for Diana in which it was mentioned that William is still sad.

It was also mentioned he joined Kate at what was meant to be a solo engagement for her, to “protect” her from press questions about the Oprah interview. (She’d probably prefer it if he didn’t shag around but I guess you can’t have everything.) 

And on Saturday Kate made a private visit to a park memorial site  to a murdered woman in London (a murder that’s generated a lot of anger from U.K. women for a number of reasons) but was photographed there (the crime has a lot of press attention so it was inevitable she would be). 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wordsworth said:

(She’d probably prefer it if he didn’t shag around but I guess you can’t have everything.) 

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/16/2021 at 8:22 AM, Baby Doll said:

Agreed. That was a big, "Wow!"

I passed the word wow and just went to WTF. 

Two hundred and forty five years later and some Brits are still upset about a "ragtag volunteer army in need of a shower somehow defeated a global superpower." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Desertdreaming said:

I passed the word wow and just went to WTF. 

Two hundred and forty five years later and some Brits are still upset about a "ragtag volunteer army in need of a shower somehow defeated a global superpower." 

What we’d call a “little Englander” these days, ironically the opposite of what the term originally meant! 

• Like 1

I believe the birth story, Mike Tindall isn’t the sort who’d stand for lying for appearances sake IMO. (Far be it for me to suggest that might be a refreshing change for a member of the royal family.) 

• Haha 1

Lady Colin Campbell claims Princess Anne is royal accused by Harry and Meghan of asking about 'Archie's skin colour' - but she insists it was actually a misunderstanding about 'culture'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9422631/Lady-Colin-Campbell-claims-Princess-Anne-royal-accused-racism-Harry-Meghan.html

• Haha 1

It's wrong that my first thought was "Holy shit, how are they going to handle a funeral", right? I mean - COVID, pregnant Meghan, ALL the family drama.....

• Like 2

Reports already suggesting Philip didn't want a full state funeral as "too much fuss" and has requested something more private, so I suspect that might address many of the challenges. 

I have to admit I’m a little disappointed about the funeral. If there’s one thing the British royal family does well it’s pageantry. And boy have we had a year and a half of no pageantry! Although realistically I know they probably couldn’t have done much, it’s one of the things that I will miss from Covid. 

I’m assuming Harry will be there immediately and that they will use the pregnancy as an excuse not to bring Meghan home so as to avoid the controversy at this time. And honestly I think if Harry doesn’t show up, unless she is actively pushing out that baby, that will really be a bridge too far on him for me. But I cannot see the world in which that would happen.

• Like 3

Breaking news: British press remain petty AF with this headline on the first front page published post death. (You might need to click through to see the full page.) 

• Like 1