Kath

British Royals

They're saying Windsor funeral (watching Today Show on dvr - I had my 1st COVID shot this morning!!) No other details but everyone aware they don't want a superspreader event so I think it has to be immediate family only?

U.K. funeral protocol under COVID lockdown is max 30 people, so presumably they may want to stick to that to be in line with the public mood (like with beatrices lockdown wedding). We’re coming out of parts of lockdown in the coming days so not sure if that is changing soon though. 

BTW, the chap whose tweet I shared earlier has an interesting feed today, if you want an insight into the protocol for reporting a senior royal’s death. He has videos of the BBC announcement and the protocol followed. 

• Like 2

I don't know why - we all knew it was coming - but I was still shocked when I saw the headlines today.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wordsworth said:

BTW, the chap whose tweet I shared earlier has an interesting feed today, if you want an insight into the protocol for reporting a senior royal’s death. He has videos of the BBC announcement and the protocol followed. 

I just read through some of this and... I’m a little astonished as an American. I guess you can’t compare someone who “holds office” for 70 years to  a president who might last 4, but I am realizing that I just have no frame of reference for the level of protocol. Is it the same for any very senior royal, like if it were Charles or William? Or is this because of the fact that this one individual is the only one in that position most living citizens of the country have ever known in their life times? As much as I thought I understood royalty, I realize not growing up in it is different. We didn’t have social media when Diana died. I know there was a lot, but was the level of intergovernmental coordination this detailed?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dixiedoodah said:

I just read through some of this and... I’m a little astonished as an American. I guess you can’t compare someone who “holds office” for 70 years to  a president who might last 4, but I am realizing that I just have no frame of reference for the level of protocol. Is it the same for any very senior royal, like if it were Charles or William? Or is this because of the fact that this one individual is the only one in that position most living citizens of the country have ever known in their life times? As much as I thought I understood royalty, I realize not growing up in it is different. We didn’t have social media when Diana died. I know there was a lot, but was the level of intergovernmental coordination this detailed?

There will be similarly detailed plans already in existence to deal with the death of any senior royal; it was the same when the Queen Mother died. They all have code names - Philip’s was “Operation Forth Bridge”, named after the bridge just outside Edinburgh given his title as DoE.

This article sets out what was intended to happen, and did in practice. The PM was giving his statement, in black, within minutes of the formal announcement. https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-family/operation-forth-bridge-prince-philip-death-b1829125.html

That’s why they were able to say so quickly that there wouldn’t be a state funeral in accordance with Philip’s wishes; it was all decided with his input years ago. I understand they also periodically do full practice runs, so everything to do with eg the Queen’s funeral will have been rehearsed multiple times before it’s needed. Philips will be different due to COVID but the basics will have been practiced. 

There would have been similar when Diana died. Certainly the BBC followed the same protocol announcing Diana’s death; I was getting ready to go to work at 6am that Sunday and vividly remember the black tie of the newsreader as he gave the formal statement. I worked in a newsagent and in the absence of social media we had multiple updated versions of newspapers delivered through the day, as they reported on the emerging facts. 

Possibly some aspects of her funeral may have deviated from the original plans given hers was a sudden death and her relative position in the royal family at the time, but a lot of what happened would be standard. 

In dealing with the RF there is protocol *everywhere*, even if you’re meeting them on a visit. I have a family member who worked for one of the DoE’s organisations and attended royal garden parties, they were always briefed on protocol first.

If you’re not familiar with that, I can see how it would be a shock. That’s why I can believe Meghan was naive going into this and mistakenly believed she could quickly change stuff - this is centuries of history we’re talking about. 

I generally consider myself not that interested in the royals versus many Brits, but I think so much of it I just take as read. They’re here; it was like this before me and it’ll be like this after me.  

• Like 3

unsurprising news from People...

Meghan Markle Will Not Be at Prince Philip's Funeral, Prince Harry 'Planning to Attend'

By Simon Perry and Maria Pasquini 

April 10, 2021 12:00 PM

image.jpg&w=1280&h=720&q=90&c=cc

Prince Harry will be at the funeral of his grandfather Prince Philip next Saturday, although Meghan Markle will not, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.

"The Duke of Sussex is planning to attend. The Duchess of Sussex has been advised by her physician not to travel. So the duke will be attending," a royal spokesman said at a briefing on Saturday afternoon.

Meghan, 39, is expecting the couple's second child, a baby girl, later this spring.

Harry, 36, is preparing to head back to the U.K. in the coming days and it will be the first time he has been in the country in over a year. It is also the first time he will have seen members of the Royal Family since his and Meghan's interview with Oprah Winfrey aired last month.

Listen below to the episode of our daily podcast PEOPLE Every Day where we are looking back at Prince Philip's life and legacy.

With the guest list limited to 30 people under U.K. government guidelines due to COVID, it is expected that Philip's immediate family, including his children and grandchildren, will make up the bulk of those present in St. George's Chapel.

Attendants, such as the military bearer party of his coffin and the Dean of Windsor David Conner and the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby are permitted to be extra to that 30 figure.

While there has been a steady stream of visitors, from Prince Edward and his wife Sophie, Countess of Wessex to Prince Charles, palace officials will not confirm whether any of them are in Her Majesty's so-called "bubble" and be allowed within close proximity of her.

The full guest list will be confirmed later in the week. Then, it will be announced who will be making any eulogy during the service.

• Like 2

Harry has arrived in the UK. William released a statement. Feels like it could definitely be read as a dig at Harry if you want it to be. 

and yes, I KNOW it’s like the ultimate in privileged family, but I can’t get over how charming the image of Phillip pulling up in a literal carriage to take George out for adventures is. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNkRn-xliiv/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_mid=E4CA8F35-0E1D-4AF5-BEEC-773E47314C43

Edited by dixiedoodah
  • Like 3

Daughter and I were bored earlier in the week, so we went to the British embassy to see if they had any big to do about Phillip. I can’t seem to upload the photo here, file size is too big. When Diana died it was a massive event there. Yesterday there was a tent set up, like you’d have at a soccer game, with a sign announcing the death and two small tables with flowers. No condolence book, just an online version. Very low key. On the plus side we got to wave to the VP as the embassy is right next door to the Naval Observatory and we happened to be there when the motorcade came through. We fan girled. 

• Like 2

Prince Harry's statement was beautiful. I do hate how everyone is comparing everything between the brothers (like, line by line differences in the tones of the statements). Just let it go for a damn week and let them mourn their grandfather - they were clearly both very close with him. And like Prince Edward said, even when you're prepared, it's a shock.

Both statements are lovely. There’s no need to compare and contrast. I don’t think William’s statement was a dig at Harry. Both of them mentioned Phillip’s life of service. The public service line is mentioned in almost any statement/speech made by the royal family about themselves, actually. It’s a long standing justification for their existence. 

• Like 1

I think people still think of William and Harry as kid siblings who have to play together at all times, not fully grown adults with their own separate lives. It’s bizarre to me. 

• Like 2

For what it's worth:

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 04/10
Other than the obvious ones, this celebrity is probably the biggest to make it from the briefcase show. She is also being interviewed for the tell all book about the alliterate one and has lots of great sugardaddy stories to share.

The alliterate one has scheduled a camera crew to be with her all next week while her husband is out of town. Get ready for the false labor stories.

16 hours ago, princess said:

Other than the obvious ones, this celebrity is probably the biggest to make it from the briefcase show. She is also being interviewed for the tell all book about the alliterate one and has lots of great sugardaddy stories to share.

I never watched Suits - would it be Gina Torres? Of course, I know her from everything else she's done, and being married (formerly) to Laurence Fishburne. RIP that marriage - they were beautiful together. She really seems private and not a tell all person so perhaps I'm not correct.....

5 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I never watched Suits - would it be Gina Torres? Of course, I know her from everything else she's done, and being married (formerly) to Laurence Fishburne. RIP that marriage - they were beautiful together. She really seems private and not a tell all person so perhaps I'm not correct.....

I though the briefcase show was Deal Or No Deal, because wasn’t Meghan one of the box openers? (It was boxes in the U.K. version but I thought it was cases in the US one?)

After that I’m stuck because I didn’t know if anyone else apart from Meghan had become famous after being on US DoND. And I wasn’t even sure I’d correctly remembered her being in it. 😂

I forgot about Deal or No Deal because I never watched 😉 I assumed Suits = Lawyers = briefcases 😂 Other than Howie, I have no clue who was on the game show....

On 4/13/2021 at 3:54 PM, princess said:

For what it's worth:

I think this is intended to be Chrissy Teigan but I highly doubt she has any tea to spill.  Chrissy was only on the show for 8 episodes per her IMDB bio and none of these shows ever overlapped with Meghan.  That time frame doesn't strike me as being conducive to picking up lots of great sugardaddy stories. 🤷‍♀️

The music at the funeral was absolutely incredible. And I did see people chatting (harry & will) walking out across the grounds back to wherever the wake is....

Of all the couples walking back to Castle, only saw Zara and Mike holding hands. But NBC didn't have too much footage at that point, just ended their broadcast.

Edited by Hoyaheel

7 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

The music at the funeral was absolutely incredible. And I did see people chatting (harry & will) walking out across the grounds back to wherever the wake is....

Of all the couples walking back to Castle, only saw Zara and Mike holding hands. But NBC didn't have too much footage at that point, just ended their broadcast.

I saw Eugenie and Jack holding hands at the same time. I think once the Queen left by car, the others declined their cars to walk back, which I thought was nice given it’s a beautiful day here. 

Its been dominating tv here as you might expect but I only watched the coffin being moved from the castle up the steps into the church and the national moment of silence. They were all just leaving as I came in from the garden. 

• Like 1

My husband is recovering from vaccine shot #2 so I've been staying indoors and nearby. Did want to watch the funeral and nbc showed/it lasred but an hour - procession of the coffin, svc, departure, so not much of the day missed. Hubs slept through 90% of it....

• Like 1

I loved that bbc article with info about various parts of the svc! Hubs was awake and saw the decorations at one point and asked - so people who couldn't come just sent their jewels? So i laughed and explained they were his medals and awards and decorations.

I know americans had been mocking the land rover hearse and his attentions to it over the years, but I loved it! I know lots of people who planned their funerals way in advance! I did also read online that apparently the Queen Mother liked to attend her funeral practices when they were held 😉

• Like 1

I admire the practicality of planning it in advance, and I think I’d watch a practice of mine too. Might want to tweak it! 😂 My dad had v strong views on what he wanted for his funeral and it made things much easier when the time came, no family debate needed. 

I just spotted a pic somewhere of Beatrice and her husband holding hands too. I also noticed Sophie had her arms around her kids as the Land Rover passed them on the way to the funeral.

• Like 1

Yes, I did see Sophie with arms on kids and patting Kate (I think) on the back at one point too. I really appreciate the family funeral vs state funeral.