Kath

British Royals

2005 - was William's 21st birthday, yes? Natives & colonial theme (urgh) and Will *says* he was a lion but it has definitely been reported he went as a "chief" in blackface. I've also read that Will was seated next to (ex) Jecca Craig at the head table while Kate was seated elsewhere....(and the CB crowd going on various conspiracy theories that Craig's first kid is Will's and that's why he went to her wedding alone and missed Charlotte's first easter etc)

Have watched 3 of the interviews so far (not Bradby yet - I don't think my VPN will allow streaming, I don't have the data speed for it) I really enjoyed the Colbert interview.

I've been told that in UK it is not common to be seated next to your spouse at formal events.  However not seating Kate at head table, and having your ex seated next to you seems a bit off...

3 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Have watched 3 of the interviews so far (not Bradby yet - I don't think my VPN will allow streaming, I don't have the data speed for it) I really enjoyed the Colbert interview.

Same. I feel he is well intentioned, and I think you can both try to help yourself and simultaneously help others. Is he horribly naive and clueless, yes. But it seems like he means as well as he can and that he’s honestly trying to know better/do better. Which is more that I can say for others in that family. And I KNOW it’s one sided, but boy does his feeling for Camilla line up with what I want to feel about her.

• Like 2

I grew up (in the US) learning that couples did NOT sit next to each other at dinner parties, weddings, galas etc. That's the WASPy way. We didn't have a formal wedding (we had a seated dinner but not assigned tables) but if we HAD done formal, I definitely would not have seated couples next to each other. You see that person all the time - talk to NEW people so when you go home, you and your partner can swap gossip! So I actually think that is a class difference, not a country difference. Or at least class + geography.....

That said - you still seat couples at the SAME TABLE. So Kate not being at the same table is still a problem at that 2005 party....And also the story Kate changed the seats at someone ELSE'S wedding? Yikes. That's a trope from a movie, SO disrespectful. "Etiquette" is about making people feel comfortable, NOT about making yourself feel superior.

On 1/11/2023 at 8:52 PM, princess said:

I've been told that in UK it is not common to be seated next to your spouse at formal events.  However not seating Kate at head table, and having your ex seated next to you seems a bit off...

I’ve experienced this at fancy functions in the U.K., I hate it. Thankfully I don’t go to many that fancy 😂

6 hours ago, dixiedoodah said:

https://apple.news/Arh4g3jgAR_mMxr_cnP0l9g

I thought this gets close to what I’m feeling as I read.it just feels sad and inevitable. The rest of it is just the noise surrounding this family’s unique disfunction. 

Sorry for the double post but this gives me the ick - I get that this is what the writer took from the book, but it seems wrong if Harry has picked on the women who married into the institution, not the men born into it. 

Seems to jive with what I’ve read about Harry being against his place in the monarchy, rather than the monarchy itself. 

The main villain is Camilla, who, in Harry’s telling, becomes the leaker-in-chief in order to protect herself. He rarely mentions Camilla without also mentioning how she usurped his mother.

The runner-up villain is Kate. But on this topic, Harry’ resentment gets the better of him. In the way he describes interactions with his sister-in-law, he clearly wants the reader to choose Meghan over Kate. Informality over formality. The spare’s wife over the heir’s. 

It’s the same as the idea that everything is Meghan’s doing, it’s clearly not the case but it protects the monarchy. 

Edited by Wordsworth
  • Like 1

Princess Eugenie & husband Jack Brooksbank expecting baby #2 this summer. (I thought she looked a little "full" in her winter coats in the last couple family photos I saw and I had thoughts, BUT no "baby bump" comments from me 😉

• Like 2

How/do we think the fashion rules have changed now that the queen has died. Were pantsuits allowed before (I legit just don’t remember seeing any, but I just don’t pay attention)? Will they be able to can the pantyhose and nude polish? Will they change it up or anything?

If you read Celebitchy, all they'll say is that Kate cosplays Megan all the time and she started wearing pantsuits when Megan joined the family. Meh. Sometimes, yes, but I think she's influenced by others as well.

What I love about this blazer is that Grand Duchess Maria Theresa of Luxembourg has the same one. And, kindly, she and Kate don't share a body type. And the blazer looks AMAZING on both of them. To me, THAT is why you pay for designer clothing. It better make my short curvy body look as good as a tall thin anorectic body.....

Anne (and the Queen's Cousins) have worn pants for ages. But they're not as high profile as Kate. I think Kate could have worn as long as she wanted but she was cosplaying the queen (in her later years) more than anyone else in the "early" part of her marriage......

I remember the Queen always wore an entire outfit of the same color so that she was easier to spot in a crowd for security purposes.  I've noticed other members often do the same, but wasn't sure if that was intentional.

I actually came here to post about Harry and his talks to host Saturday Night Live.  I think that would have been a disaster. :shocked:

• Haha 1

My employer has just announced we’re getting an extra day of annual leave for the King’s Coronation. Even though it’s on a Saturday! Between that and the extra two days we got last year (jubilee then funeral), this is the most the royal family have ever done for me. 😂

• Haha 4

I got the audio book Spare from one of my library's. Harry has a lovely voice but I cannot listen to it. I really hate audiobooks and podcasts and talk radio. I'm too impatient. I want to read because I can read a LOT faster than Harry is speaking to me. Ah well. I think I'm #178 on 5 copies of the ebook from another library - the only library options I have. I don't feel like buying it at this point. I do want to read and see what he says on my own, but I've read so many excerpts and articles by now, I get the idea and don't have any urgency.

I won't be able to get up in the middle of the night for the Coronation like I did for Will and Harry's weddings. We have a theater matinee that day - don't want to fall asleep! So I'll record it all (maybe BBC and NBC versions, if they're both showing) and watch later. I did that for the Queen's funeral. I'm actually still watching the NBC version - watched BBC the same day/week, slowly working through SEVEN hours of NBC coverage now.....

King Charles evicting Harry, Meghan from Frogmore Cottage, giving to Andrew

https://pagesix.com/2023/03/01/king-charles-evicting-harry-meghan-from-frogmore-cottage/

Couple of interesting bits to me:

King Charles III is kicking Prince Harry and Meghan Markle out of Frogmore Cottage — and gifting it to disgraced royal Prince Andrew.

A source confirms to Page Six that the incoming king began the eviction process in January just one day after the redheaded royal’s memoir “Spare” hit shelves.

“This eviction surely spells the end of Harry and Meghan’s time in the UK,” a source told The Sun.

The 5-bedroom home will serve as a major downgrade for Prince Andrew, who is used to more luxurious digs at Royal Lodge, which includes a pool and 30 bedroom. Naturally, he’s against the move.

“Andrew is resisting the idea of moving into Frogmore Cottage after he was offered it last week,” the source told The Sun. “But it shows Harry and Meghan are powerless to stop the eviction.”

Didn’t they just spend millions of their own money to cover the rehab they did on that place? That’s cold. I can see telling them they don’t need it since they live overseas, but I hope if they did put out  money that they get it back. 

They had planned to use it as a UK home base for trips to visit their charities and "family". COVID intervened - that and the crappy ass way his "family" behaved are what kept them away.....Assholes. I still love the jewels, but ugh, I hate myself more than ever for that....

16 hours ago, dixiedoodah said:

Didn’t they just spend millions of their own money to cover the rehab they did on that place? That’s cold. I can see telling them they don’t need it since they live overseas, but I hope if they did put out  money that they get it back. 

Prince Harry and Meghan: Where do they get their money?

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-51047186

The Queen gave Frogmore Cottage in Windsor to Harry and Meghan when they got married in 2018.

They retained the cottage as their UK residence, and celebrated their daughter Lilibet's first birthday there in 2022.

However, the couple's spokesperson has confirmed that Buckingham Palace has asked the couple to leave the property.

Earlier the Sun newspaper reported that the request was made shortly after Harry's memoir Spare was published in January 2023.

The newspaper said the cottage had been offered to Harry's uncle, the Duke of York.

23 hours ago, princess said:

The Queen gave Frogmore Cottage in Windsor to Harry and Meghan when they got married in 2018.

Yeah, that's bs brit royal language there. The queen allowed them to get a lease on a property owned by the crown estate - Frogmore/the Windsor estate were not owned privately by the Queen .....Unlike Anmer, on Sandringham, which was owned privately by the monarch.....

The game of royal residence musical chairs continues, as The Independent reports that King Charles is set to offer the Sussexes an apartment at Buckingham Palace—a suite of rooms that, in a weird coincidence, once belonged to Andrew. This will allow Harry, Meghan, and their two children Archie and Lilibet to have a home base in the U.K. where they can stay when they visit—which is increasingly rare and likely to remain so as tensions continue between the Sussexes and the rest of the royal family. The outlet reports that Charles sees the Buckingham Palace apartment offer as an “olive branch.”

And a second royals story today… 

A spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex told The Sunday Times in a statement this weekend, "I can confirm The Duke has recently received email correspondence from His Majesty's office regarding the coronation. An immediate decision on whether The Duke and Duchess will attend will not be disclosed by us at this time."

Prince Harry Makes Surprise Appearance in London for Court Case Against 'Daily Mail' Publishers

The Duke of Sussex arrived at the High Court shortly before the start of a four-day hearing, which also brought out Elton John and Sadie Frost

https://people.com/royals/prince-harry-makes-surprise-appearance-in-london-for-court-case-against-daily-mail-publishers/?hid=63da545c75ebaab7c87364cb9e9c4509767e5159&did=8687042-20230327&utm_campaign=ppl-nonewsubs_relationship-builder&utm_source=ppl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=032723&lctg=63da545c75ebaab7c87364cb9e9c4509767e5159