Freckles

Eurotrash Royals

Prince Albert has announced that he's engaged.

Prince Albert of Monaco to wed

Dubbed 'Dirty Bertie' by the tabloid press, ex-playboy Prince Albert announces his engagement to a former Olympic swimmer.

Charlene Wittstock, whose engagement to Prince Albert II of Monaco was announced yesterday, is a Zimbabwe-born swimmer who has represented her adopted homeland of South Africa in the Olympics.

The 32-year-old, who was born in Zimbabwe's main southern city Bulawayo on January 25, 1978, learned to swim at the age of three and developed a passion for the sport from the age of eight.

Influenced by her mother, who was also an Olympic-level swimmer, she grew up next to a swimming pool.

She first attracted attention for her performances in the pool in the late 1990s and represented South Africa at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Her career high point came at the World Cup two years later when she won three gold medals, competing in the 50m and 100m backstroke as well as the 4 by 100m relay.

The blonde with blue eyes had already begun attracting coverage on the front pages since 2006, after being photographed on Prince Albert's arm at a number of functions in Monaco, a Riviera millionaire's playground, during a lengthy spell on the sidelines while recuperating from a shoulder injury.

She was first spotted with the prince in 2001 at an event in Monte Carlo and was subsequently his guest at high profile events such as the Formula 1 Grand Prix in the principality and the opening of the 2006 Winter Olympics.

Her profile rose further when she was picked for a swimwear photo shoot by Sports Illustrated.

While she has been tight-lipped about her relationship with the prince, she has admitted that the initial attention from the paparazzi was hard to take.

"I feel now that they respect the fact that I have a career, and that I need my space," she told the Durban-based Sunday Tribune newspaper.

"At first it was a bit different (dealing with the media) but everything has settled now," she told the paper.

As rumours of their relationship swirled, Albert sued the weekly Paris-Match which published a report headlined "Albert and Charlene: a foretaste of a honeymoon", with photos of the couple on holiday in the Maldives.

However, it was to the same magazine that Charlene told of her meeting with former South African president Nelson Mandela, who in a London restaurant in January 2005 persuaded her to fight to take part in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

In the end she did not compete.

Any dirt on him?? Married before? Gay? Party boy?

I just tried to google him, but you'd be amazed what you find when you search "Prince Albert" :D

I just tried to google him, but you'd be amazed what you find when you search "Prince Albert" :D

It's piercings, right?

Never married, at least 2 kids out of wedlock (that he's acknowledged) and still 10+ years of gay rumors. I think any guy who stays single until he's in his 50s is going to face the gay rumor......

• Like 1

It's piercings, right?

Yeah, and not where I'd want one if I was a guy :shocked:

Agreed, anyone who hasn't been married and is 50+ is going to get the gay/lesbian rumors.

Lotsa gay rumours. 2 kids that are known - one of whose baby mama is *gasp* black.

He was somewhat cute when he was younger. Posted Image

But now, not in the least. Posted Image

And his little sister Stephanie is a nut! She tried to be a pop star in the 80s. Bwahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrJ1Ldwz62M

oooh.  Interesting piece from Page Six!  It is pretty crazy to see what Charlene used to look like, before all the cosmetic surgeries and injections, and how different from now.  I honestly wouldn't recognize her as the same person.

charlene.jpg

• Like 1

I didn't realize how much she's had done until I started reading the recent gossip and people talked about it....And shared photos like you just did 😉

• Like 1

She's still in RSA, but she misses her family so much she's ready to stow away on a boat to get back?? Hello, YOU CAN AFFORD TRANSPORTATION BY BOAT. If you want to go back to Monaco. But do you REALLY want to go back????

[I hadn't read about her "collapse" https://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2021/09/grimaldi-glitter-for-a-gala-in-monaco-and-a-tiara-surprise.html#more-34792 ]

• Like 1

Apparently I am now a Charlene-watcher 😉

She never liked living with Albert (duh) and stayed out at the country estate. Apparently now she's back in Monte Carlo, she'll stay at an apartment, not with Albert. https://www.celebitchy.com/741358/princess_charlene_was_living_in_a_small_monaco_apartment_in_january_/

OK, but why wouldn't she just go back to the country house???

https://people.com/royals/prince-albert-tells-people-princess-charlene-in-treatment-facility

What is actually going on??? She's in rehab for exhaustion (is THAT still a thing???!!!) just after finally returning to Monaco?? There are a few rumors - that's she's REALLY sick (cancer) but I don't know why they wouldn't admit that at this point? Pain pills after a year of pain & medical problems I could see too, but I'm still not sure I buy the specific medical problems they are admitting to.....If she's just trying to get away from him, it's a clusterf*ck......

• Like 1

Wow. Those recent photos are startling. It does look like she’s had surgery, though at the same time, she also just lost a crap ton of weight and maybe that makes her face look very different? She does NOT look well. But I also thought Angelina looked scary bad in recent photos and other people thought she looked great, so maybe I’ve just become my grandmother.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had really been leaning in to "serious health issue" combined with "hiding from her asshole husband" as the explanations for the past couple of years. Contrary conspiracy theory on celebitchy - she had a horrendous coke addiction caused HUGE nasal problems so that's what all her surgeries were, then the past 6+ months in Switzerland are part of the detox/rehab still.....

So, cancer or coke? Or just miserable + plastic surgery? Who knows?? But it's made Charlene watching more interesting.....[I know, I'm horrible]

• Like 1

Not about Monaco so not "eurotrash", but non-British royalty. Well, and BR question. So tomorrow is the big dinner for Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway's 18th birthday. Much looking forward to what tiara she wears (tradition of giving princesses tiaras when they turn 18, I adore royal jewelry blogs, my pandemic addiction) So the palace in Norway has released the guest list (some on twitter had been following based on everyone's individualy announced schedules ahead of that as well). She has godparents among many royal families, the Scandinavian country monarchies are quite closely related as well, looks to be a big turnout - and there happen to be quite a few princesses in that age range, so we're hoping to see MANY newly "tiarad" young women.

But no British royalty attending. This would have been IDEAL for Ed & Sophie AND THEIR KIDS. They do all the royal weddings & social engagements with the other european royals already, they have an 18 year old daughter! Who is, technically, as granddaughter of the monarch, a PRINCESS. No matter she doesn't use the title and her parents didn't want it. So why aren't they going? Not invited? Not their priority (I notice they're off soon on a "work" trip to Cyprus but surely this could have been fit into the schedule).

Seeing how many European royals go to each other's events, WHY aren't the Brits ever there????

• Like 2

It's 2023 and people are STILL using the excuse "treated for exhaustion" - Charlene had ONE YEAR in South Africa away from her family but as soon as she returned to Monaco, she had to go off (for another 6 months? Can't remember but it was a while) to Switzerland for MORE treatment?

Dang!

And yes, please. I would like someone to please pay for me to enjoy 2 months in a Corsican holiday rental for the low, low price of 1 million Euros. That must have been quite some AirBnB! 

"Five black notebooks filled with details of the family’s dealings have found their way to the French media, and Palmero [Prince Albert's former principal asset manager] has spoken at length to Le Monde for a series of articles shocking even in a playground for the super-rich."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/26/monaco-royals-ex-accountant-lifts-lid-on-lavish-spending-prince-albert

• Like 1

https://people.com/charlotte-casiraghi-break-up-husband-dimitri-rassam-reports-8550379

It looks like Charlotte Casiraghi and her husband of 4 years, Dimitri Rassam (Carole Bouquet's son) are on the verge of officially announcing their split.  They share a son, and both Charlotte and Dimitri have a child from previous relationships.

I'm not surprised by this report. Charlotte never, ever looked "into" him and Dimitri always seems rather glum. There have been rumblings for years about the relationship being on shaky ground. That women in that family seem to have lousy luck with/ taste in marriages!

Wow. I Couldn't remember which parent went with Charlotte but as soon as I clicked on the link, there is zero question as to which sister is her mother. She’s her mother’s clone. And yes, that family has rotten luck with marriages.