HoneyBunny

The Dreary Summer Film Offerings of 2010

Favorite 2010 Summer Movies; Did you ENJOY any of them?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i tried to list the supposedly most anticipated films this season, so far. :P Basically, I'm not looking forward to ANYTHING this year. :unsure: I started the list with movies from Memorial Day Weekend cause that's traditionally when the Summer Blockbuster season begins, right? Anyway.................... have fun voting. write in anything I forgot or that comes later on this Summer. To tell you the truth, I'm avoiding most of these films like the plague. :4biggrin:

There was an Entertainment Weekly column about how crappy the summer movies are this year (last week?? I don't know - I read it at the gym) I never see movies in theaters anymore so I sort of lose track of when things come out & their "blockbuster" status.

I think if they would start making smaller (CHEAPER) movies that are actually GOOD, instead of just throwing CGI explosions everywhere, maybe more people would see movies? It's a vicious cycle - action movies make money, so they start making a TON of them, more and more expensive, to get that 18-25 yr male demographic, and NO ONE else wants to go to a movie because there's no variety and nothing good. Sucks.

And I'm really tired of sequels and remakes - can no one come up with an original script anymore??

I voted for Toy Story. I am really getting tired of all this 3-D, I max stuff. It's just to get more money out of you. Not every freaking movie have to be 3-D?????

SF Gate

Movie bosses behind Tom Cruise's latest movie "Knight And Day" have urged critics not to "blame" the Hollywood actor for the film's lackluster performance at the box office, insisting the star is not responsible for the low takings.

The action comedy, which also stars Cameron Diaz, opened in the U.S. last weekend in third place with a disappointing $20.5 million -- the worst opening for a Cruise film in 20 years. :alien_dance:

SF Gate

Movie bosses behind Tom Cruise's latest movie "Knight And Day" have urged critics not to "blame" the Hollywood actor for the film's lackluster performance at the box office, insisting the star is not responsible for the low takings.

The action comedy, which also stars Cameron Diaz, opened in the U.S. last weekend in third place with a disappointing $20.5 million -- the worst opening for a Cruise film in 20 years. :alien_dance:

Sorry Tom & Cameron, I like you two but I actually SAW your awful movie and you were both boring and oh too cutesy. Either stop choosing crappy scripts or stop getting hack directors or step your game up and try some ACTUAL ACTING or just shut up/keep smiling & cash your million $$ checks for just sleepwalking on film. Yeah, the actors aren't 100% to blame but they MUST share some responsibility. I mean, come on!!!!!!! :angry:

I'm going to the beach and watch an old movie there and meet someone instead of staring at this dismal pallet of movies this year. Then me and my girl will find a dark balcony in some old movie theater.

I'm really hoping for something good from the all-star cast in The Expendables-believe that's coming out in August. The trailers look good, but I've been underwhelmed too often when seeing the actual movie to place much trust in the trailers...

I just saw SALT starring Angelina Jolie, with one of my 12 yr old male students & his 40yr old Dad, we all LOVED IT!!!!

It was fast, fierce, intense, thrilling and fun to watch. Yes, the plot was all over the place BUT just like the critics/reviewers stated, Angelina's performance is so focused and inspired- the audience just couldn't help but root for this crazy non-stop killing machine. We still couldn't actually figure out WHO THE HELL SALT IS!?! But we had so much fun trying to figure it out, we didn't care that the answer wasn't found. :P I think that whole question is what Hitchcock would call the "MacGuffin"? It's something/anything in a movie that tricks the audience into thinking is REAL/IMPORTANT but after the show, you realise that the question/quest wasn't really that much anyway. It's the experience that matters.......... :4biggrin: i hope i described that right. :unsure: oh well, check it out!

anybody else see this yet?

Saw Dinner for Schmucks with my Mom. Horrible.

Is that a remake of a French film from 20 years ago or so?

I thought it looked horrible from the trailers.

I voted for Toy Story. I am really getting tired of all this 3-D, I max stuff. It's just to get more money out of you. Not every freaking movie have to be 3-D?????

I don't look for anything 3d because it looks like cardboard cutouts placed in front of the movie. When movies actually look 3d like you see with your eyes is when I will see a 3d movie.

Edited by alpierce

I saw the previews for The Green Hornet and was really stoked until...........they said it would be in 3-D.

What The Fuck!?! :angry3:

I HATE 3D flicks. $11 for kids and $14 for adults

ARE THEY NUTS!?!?!?

And IMAX is $18 :tantrum:

It's like Hollywood is BEGGING movie fans to buy bootlegs or wait for cable.

I don't even plan to buy the DVDs once released because I'm afraid the movies won't look right. :(

And now the greedy muthas want to coerce folks into buying 3D televisions? :censored:

After all the fuss with getting new TVs or "code boxes" because of the weird network changes, now we are supposed to CHANGE again?

I still have a VCR and videos as well as DVDs and a DVR. :4biggrin:

This shit is getting on my nerves.

I just might read a book. :P

I finally saw The Expendables last night and it was even better than I'd hoped and than what people were saying. :4biggrin: I am so impressed with Stallone. He has gotten A LOT better with age as a writer & director. Great pace, good plot (unlike SALT and I liked that movie :P ), awesome action (Holy Crap!!!) and PERFECT casting.

You'll laugh, you'll clap, you'll wince, you'll go DAMN! ;) , you'll hold your breath, you'll smile and you'll wish that your Dad could have been sitting in the theater with you. Well, maybe not that last part..... :smileapprove: LOL But Dad, I hope you can see this flick in Heaven cause I KNOW you will LOVE it!

:lol: The audience in the theater was very excited as we reacted to the many stunts and action scenes. The scene where Sly has to run for the plane had most fans howling & cheering. I hope he didn't hurt himself doing that stunt. :flag: He probably did but he loved doing it anyway........

And that hopeless romantic Stallone even threw in some very light romance to boot. :wub: So just what do the Expendables fight for? Hmmm.....money, love, family, fun, country, revenge, justice, for the Hell of It, to redeem their souls and to protect what little bit of Virtue there is in this crazy violent greedy world. Not bad guys. Actually, well done.

The R rating was spot on, there is some intense violence but much of the blood & "kill shots" are shrouded in shadow/smoke (thank you :unsure: ). The fighting was Pectacular with Mantastic fist/kung foo/kicking/grappling/throwing bouts that were off da hook! I never really liked knife throwers/warriors except in the 1992 flick Under Siege with Steven Seagal vs Tommy Lee Jones. :P Remember THAT classic? LOL But the knives hurling through Expendables are outrageously cool, deadly and non-stop. I learned to respect & enjoy the never ending possibility that a sharp point of steel could pierce a foe at ANY angle/minute..........REALLY. The gunplay is overwhelming and I mean that in a good way. After a while, it is beyond overkill to Fuck 'Em, Let's Blow This Shit and Go Home Already. Um, there won't be a sequel with ANY of these bad guys coming back. :jawdrop: Most adversaries are shot, stabbed, burned, broken and smashed. OUCH!!!!!!!!! :4biggrin: