princess

Celeb Death Watch

Jim Vance... ugh. I got so choked up during the news tonight. Unless you've lived in this area, I don't think I can adequately explain how big of a celebrity death this is to the DC area. I've been watching him since day one in my dorm room in 1988 and he had already been here on air for almost 20 years at that point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/jim-vance-washingtons-longest-serving-local-news-anchor-is-dead-at-75/2017/07/22/7869297c-6ee4-11e7-b9e2-2056e768a7e5_story.html?utm_term=.d33ebaad56ea

• Like 2

Jim Vance... ugh. I got so choked up during the news tonight. Unless you've lived in this area, I don't think I can adequately explain how big of a celebrity death this is to the DC area. I've been watching him since day one in my dorm room in 1988 and he had already been here on air for almost 20 years at that point.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/jim-vance-washingtons-longest-serving-local-news-anchor-is-dead-at-75/2017/07/22/7869297c-6ee4-11e7-b9e2-2056e768a7e5_story.html?utm_term=.d33ebaad56ea

We must be "neighbors." I was very shocked and saddened by the news of his passing. I somehow missed the news that he was sick :-(

• Like 2

Jim Vance was a class act, professional, honest. Was lucky enough to meet him up at NBC4, great smile, that laugh, tall and so fine! Rest in peace Vance.

• Like 3

I definitely watched Jim Vance in my 6 years in DC....I didn't even think about regionality when I posted - just assumed everyone knew him ;-) Glad there are others here who do!!

Jeanne Moreau, age 89

http://pagesix.com/2017/07/31/french-actress-jeanne-morceau-dies-at-89/

I vividly remember watching her in Jules et Jim in my high school French class (totally normal, right? To have a bunch of 15 year old watch New Wave French cinema??)

Must be because we did too, just after reading Camus. Long discussions about the progression from existentialism to new wave. My French teacher in high school taught me more about literature than my English teacher.

• Like 1

Did you read Georges Simenon too? It's like we had the same French classes! (I was fortunate enough to have great english lit classes too - my high school was amazing all around)

My senior year, I did AP French lit. Read Baudelaire and other "racy" poets. That's fine - I mean, Shakespeare was racy too. But looking back, my classmates and I now agree it was weird that my teacher called me Mlle La Chevelure....

http://fleursdumal.org/poem/203

Edited by Hoyaheel

AP French for the win! I did do Simenon and Baudelaire, but I minored in French literature at GW so I'm not exactly sure which class had which authors. Now I can barely ask for the bathroom. Language certainly atrophies.

Edited by dixiedoodah
  • Like 2

OMG! I was a European history & diplomacy major in SFS at GU (that's the Hoya in my name ;-) Didn't study lit in college much, though - more history, culture - geez, what did we study?...I had to pass a fluency exam my senior year (I studied in Belgium my junior year - I was fluent with a very funny accent ;-) But yeah, we went to Paris a couple years ago and my vocab is GONE! The Algerian taxi drivers thought I spoke well, though, which was nice ;-)

• Like 1

FROM MSN - This makes me beyond sad -- one of the truly talented people in Hollywood. :(

Sam Shepard, author, playwright and actor, died on July 27 from complications of ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, which is also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease), theatre public relations firm Boneau/Bryan-Brown confirmed Monday. He was 73 years old.

Shepard is the author of 44 plays as well as books of short stories, essays and memories, and he won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1979 for his play, “Buried Child.” His plays, “True West” and “Fool for Love,” were also nominated for a Pulitzer Prize. He was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in 1983’s “The Right Stuff.”

His plays include “Cowboys,” “The Rock Garden,” “Operation Sidewinder,” “Made Dog Blues,” “Suicide in B Flat,” “Inacoma,” “Curse of the Starving Class,” “True West,” “Fool for Love” and “Baby Boom.” 11 of his plays won Obie Awards including “Cahicago” and “Icarus’s Mother.”

Shepard also had an extensive list of film credits, including “The Notebook,” “Black Hawk Down,” “In Dubious Battle,” “Killing Them Softly,” “Hamlet” and “Fools for Love.” He began his acting career when he was cast in Terrence Malick’s “Days of Heaven” opposite Richard Gere and Brooke Adams. The last film he appeared in was Camille Thoman’s “Never Here,” which premiered at the Los Angeles Film Festival last month.

Most recently, he starred on Netflix’s “Bloodline” and the TV mini series, “Klondike.” In 1999, he received Emmy and Golden Globe Award nominations for his performance in “Dash and Lilly.”

His novel, “The One Inside,” was published in February 2017. In 1986, Shepard was inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Letters, and in 1992, he received the Gold Medal for Drama from the Academy. In 1994, he was inducted into the Theater Hall of Fame, and in 2009, he received the PEN/Laura Pels International Foundation for Theater Award as a master of American dramatist.

Shepard was born in Fort Sheridan, Illinois in 1943. He is survived by his children Jesse, Hannah and Walker Shepard (Hannah and Walker are from his long-term relationship with actress Jessica Lange), and his sisters, Sandy and Roxanne Rogers. Funeral arrangements will remain private and plans for a public memorial have not yet been determined.

His representatives had no comment.

Edited by tyler

(I put Shepard on the last page, didn't I?) I can't imagine what it's like for someone SO literate/intellectual to die from ALS. My uncle died a few years ago and it was so hard. Most diseases are awful, but there's just something extra hard about the ones that lock you in a body that doesn't function properly when the brain is still all there.....

• Like 1

Great snippet of a Billie Lourd interview - made me tear up (and I can't wait to read the whole interview) Carrie Fisher told her not to grow up to be an asshole. And made her come over to watch an episode of her show and point out how good she is....

http://pagesix.com/2017/08/01/carrie-fisher-told-9-year-old-billie-lourd-not-to-be-an-a-hole/

Deadpool 2 just lost a stunt person today. Walking Dead lost someone recently. And Tom Cruise botching his own stunt video hit the news this morning (I have to admit, it did look painful). Lots of stunts going wrong recently, or just more coverage??

Sonny Landham http://variety.com/2017/film/news/sonny-landham-dies-dead-predator-1202533278/#respond

Not seen a lot, but his part in Predator was memorable.

we all gone die........

or maybe that was the other guy. Anyway that's a movie I can watch over and over.

So funny you say that. In my late night rotation: Predator movies, Alien movies, Terminator movies, Halloween movies, Friday the 13th movies. I have seen these movies over and over and over, but I don't allow myself to retain anything more than vague memory of them. So it never gets old lol. Some of these movies I prefer to others but I'll watch them all.

You'll notice that I didn't comment on your quote. That's because I don't remember it. :lol: ;)

• Like 1

Jay Thomas, 69.

Man, I loved him in Murphy Brown. Didn't realize he was that old. On the other hand, I probably say that for everyone who's dying now. I'm no spring chicken myself....

http://tvline.com/2017/08/24/jay-thomas-dead-69-dies-cheers-murphy-brown-actor/

Aww, I liked him. He was one of those actors whose face I always recognized even if I couldn't pinpoint exactly why.