Sign in to follow this  
princess

American Idol news

Ellen DeGeneres Bows Out of American Idol

July 29, 2010

people.com

Filling Simon Cowell‘s seat on American Idol was already a tough task –- now another chair is there for the taking.

Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, who became a full-time judge on the show during its ninth season, is bowing out of the series, PEOPLE has learned.

“A couple months ago, I let FOX and the American Idol producers know that this didn’t feel like the right fit for me,” she says in a statement. “I told them I wouldn’t leave them in a bind and that I would hold off on doing anything until they were able to figure out where they wanted to take the panel next. It was a difficult decision to make, but my work schedule became more than I bargained for.”

DeGeneres adds, “I also realized this season that while I love discovering, supporting and nurturing young talent, it was hard for me to judge people and sometimes hurt their feelings. I loved the experience working on Idol and I am very grateful for the year I had, I am a huge fan of the show and will continue to be.”

In the same statement, Idol creator and executive producer Simon Fuller says, “I loved Ellen’s passion for the artists and her nurturing skills. She brought honesty and optimism to our judging panel and I will miss her greatly.”

Peter Rice, the FOX entertainment chairman, says, “We love Ellen and understand and support her decision to bow out of Idol. We were fortunate to receive the humor, energy and love for talent that she brought to the show.”

A longtime fan of Idol, DeGeneres signed on to replace Paula Abdul after Abdul Tweeted about her departure in August 2009. “I’m going to have a day job and a night job,” DeGeneres said at the time. “This is exciting for me.”

In January, Cowell announced he was leaving to concentrate on bringing his U.K. hit The X Factor to the U.S. – Cynthia Wang

Source: Jennifer Lopez to Become Judge on American Idol

July 30, 2010

people.com

Is Jennifer Lopez adding a new job to her resume?

An industry source tells PEOPLE that the singer-actress has closed a deal to become a permanent judge on American Idol‘s season 10. “It’s true,” says one insider. “She’s excited about it.”

The news comes the same day that Ellen DeGeneres announced she was stepping down from her position as Idol‘s newest judge. The talk show host announced her departure, saying, “It was a difficult decision to make, but my work schedule became more than I bargained for.”

According to another source, Lopez’s longtime manager, Benny Medina, orchestrated the deal. Lopez, 41, mom of twins Max and Emme, will join judges Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi on the panel. She previously served as a guest mentor to contestants in 2007.

Simon Cowell also announced his departure from the show earlier this year.

Fox has not officially announced any replacements for Cowell or DeGeneres, and had no comment about whether Lopez would be joining the show.

Gossip Cop first reported the news. – Liz McNeil and Marisa Laudadio

Jennifer Lopez, Steven Tyler Announced As New Idol Judges

Wednesday September 22, 2010 01:15 PM EDT

people.com

It's official!

Jennifer Lopez and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler will be joining Randy Jackson at the judges' table when American Idol kicks off season 10 in January.

"I'm looking for the next Michael Jackson," Lopez said before a screaming crowd at the Los Angeles Forum after Ryan Seacrest introduced her. "We're looking for the best American Idol ever."

The announcement was made during a live press conference Wednesday. Seacrest hosted the event, telling the crowd, "We are looking for the next star in music. We usually ask, who will be the next American Idol? We never asked this question, who will be the next judges on American Idol?"

Seacrest then introduced Randy Jackson, who told the crowd, "We found some unbelievable talent and I am calling season 10 the remix, baby!"

Up next, Tyler was introduced as a "rock legend." The Aerosmith frontman said joining the Idol family feels "fabulous."

"[it] feels like the perfect feathered nest," he said. "It's being a part of something much bigger than yourself. I want to bring some rock to this roller coaster."

Lopez, who dressed in a silver pant suit, was the last to be introduced.

"I love you guys. I am so excited," she told the crowd that included Idol hopefuls, there to try out for the show. "It is about concentrating in the moment, do the best you can. Just live! Just live, it's your moment."

The announcement comes with little surprise. In weeks leading up to the decision, sources told PEOPLE Lopez signed the deal worth $12 million. And Tyler himself said he would "probably" be a judge when the show returned in the winter.

• Reporting by JESSICA HERNDON, DAHVI SHIRA and CYNTHIA WANG