Sign in to follow this  
princess

Lasik questions

Found them! Tom Ford Nikita Cat Eye sunglasses. Here they are:

Posted Image

I :wub: them but they are pricey!!!

$360 is a bit much... I got my eyes lasered a few years ago, best thing I ever did. Now I can buy the cute cheap sunglasses, and when I loose them, or sit on them, or scratch them I don't have to freak out. So no Tom Ford sunglasses for me either :D

I envy you Princess...I have an eye phobia, so no laser for me. My contacts are itchy/painful, so it's basically ugly glasses, all the time :( (wah wah, I know)

anyway, back to mel

Found them! Tom Ford Nikita Cat Eye sunglasses. Here they are:

Posted Image

I :wub: them but they are pricey!!!

$360 is a bit much... I got my eyes lasered a few years ago, best thing I ever did. Now I can buy the cute cheap sunglasses, and when I loose them, or sit on them, or scratch them I don't have to freak out. So no Tom Ford sunglasses for me either :D

YES! I did too and I agree it was the best thing ever! I may have found some on eBay that are very similar but only $10 so I might go for it :1smile: Tried to find knock-offs locally but ended up with something not quite the same.

Fykey, it took me FOREVER to go get contacts so I think I get what you mean about an eye phobia. This was incredibly simple and pain free with virtually immediate results. If you are able to put contacts in, you can do this easily...

two questions:

1. is there cutting of the eye? because then no.

2. do your eyes get bloody afterward? because then no.

also, I don't like how they have to hold your eye open to do it...

I'm getting lightheaded.

ugh, the envy. and the fear. Lots of fear.

Oh, and: Mel's a shit! ;)

Edited by fykeylicious

Fykey, it took me FOREVER to go get contacts so I think I get what you mean about an eye phobia. This was incredibly simple and pain free with virtually immediate results. If you are able to put contacts in, you can do this easily...

Agreed, plus they gave me a beanie baby stuffed animal to hold onto in addition to some awesome meds to calm me down :D I squeezed the crap out the beanie baby (almost ripped it in two) and tried to get into the wrong car when Mr. Princess drove me home after - well, that's his story anyway :D

I envy you Princess...I have an eye phobia, so no laser for me. My contacts are itchy/painful, so it's basically ugly glasses, all the time :( (wah wah, I know)

anyway, back to mel

Another vote here for laser surgery. My eye "thing" was so bad it used to take me about half an hour to put in contacts. Despite reservations right up until the second the surgery started I'm so glad I went ahead. An hour or so later I was on my way home, marvelling that I could read all the advertisements along the inside of the bus without glasses. It still amazes me now, seven years later.

Do lots of research. I went with the surgeon who lasered the eyes of some of the Canucks hockey team. Figured they'd only go for the best!

Go for it.

Oh, and Mel's a big shit. :banana:

I did it too. My eyesight is certainly not perfect now but it was terrible terrible before and I'm SO glad I had it done. Especially when I can go swimming in the ocean without worrying about loosing my contacts : )

Here's a quick piece on Oksana's plastic surgery. I don't think she looks bad now but she was really pretty before... sad she felt that she needed so much work. I wouldn't have recognized her as the same woman!

http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/2010/07...d-after-photos/

And yeah, Mel's a gigantic sh* :monkey: t.

I got Lasik about 8 years ago, and it is great for all the reasons already stated (especially the swimming part). It took about a month before I stopped pounding on my bedside table upon awakening to feel for my glasses. The only caveat: if you are genetically predisposed to need reading glasses at some point, Lasik does not stop this and in fact appears to accelerate the process. I know it has happened to me and to a co-worker who got the Lasik about a year after I did. (We are both in our 40s, so it's not like we had readers hanging from our neck during our swinging single days). I highly recommend it: I wore glasses from the time I was 9 years old, so I love it.

A friend of my husband is going to get Lasik. He has a bunch of questions and since I plan on quitting my job soon and being a leech on hubby I told him I'd try to get some answers. And by that I mean I'd post a message here. :monkey:

1) Does it ever wear off?

2) Dosen't it make you see halos around street lights at night and stuff like that?

3) Does it make you have bad close up vision?

4) If you get it done once, can you get it done again if you need it?

5) Hasn't it been known to spontaneously unheal?

6) Is there anything better coming up in the near future?

7) Can it make your vision better than 20/20? (I've heard that Tiger Woods had it done so that he had 20/10 vision.)

8) Can you get a pilot's license if you have it done?

9) Do they knock you out when you get it done?

1) Does it ever wear off?

Not if you do it right.

2) Dosen't it make you see halos around street lights at night and stuff like that?

You do for the first 2 weeks or so, but after that it wears off (again, assuming you go to the right doc - some people go for the cheap-o docs who use crappy equipment and then get perm halo problems).

3) Does it make you have bad close up vision?

Depends on what kind of procedure you do, there are 4 o 5 different types I think. I was near sighted. The procedure I got fixed it so I will ALWAYS be able to see distance, but when I get mid to late 40s I will prob need reading glasses. The cheap ones you can get in the store, when you break them/loose them/sit on them it doesn't cost you a fortune to replace them like my old glasses pre-lasik.

4) If you get it done once, can you get it done again if you need it?

Depends on which procedure you get. There are several different types, the doc will check out your eyes and let you know which option(s) he thinks is right for you.

5) Hasn't it been known to spontaneously unheal?

Not that I've heard, but I do know people that had to go back and get it tweaked again because it wasn't done properly the first time.

6) Is there anything better coming up in the near future?

Not in the next 10 years I guess....

7) Can it make your vision better than 20/20? (I've heard that Tiger Woods had it done so that he had 20/10 vision.)

Yes, I have 20/15 in right eye and 20/20 in left

8) Can you get a pilot's license if you have it done?

Yes, new license or renew (I know an ex CEO of a major airline who had it done, he did it to keep his pilot license)

9) Do they knock you out when you get it done?

No, but they give you some awesome drugs to calm you down

It's all about finding the right Doc.....

I've been sending this out a lot lately, so may as well post it here too :)

Went in a week before actually had the surgery for a consultation, I was really impressed. Had all the latest equipment, his entire staff took REALLY good care of me, Dr. Binder himself spent about half an hour answering all my stupid questions and didn't give me the bums rush. He said there were no stupid questions I could ask, he’s messing with my eyes, lol. They promised to give me a valium and a beanie baby to hold during the procedure, lol. He said they'll do a dry run first so I can hear all the noises the machine will make and how it goes before they actually do the first eye. One of the big concerns I had was how much hand-held stuff was involved like cutting the flap in the beginning, now with this guy's equipment he's been using for years a laser does the flap cutting so the risk is greatly reduced from when they first started doing it. Another was what if my eye moved during the laser part, he said that the machine tracks the small movements my eye makes and if I move too much the laser shuts itself off so I didn’t need to worry about popping my eyeball like a grape, lol.

My boyfriend took me in the day of surgery, they do all the tests on my eyeballs again to make sure nothing has changed since the consultation. Then they gave me a valium and I went into surgery room, there were about 5 people in there. They were really good about explaining exactly what was going to happen and when. And I did get to hold the beanie baby, lol. They did the dry run so I could hear all the noises the machines would make, then during the actual procedure Dr. Binder was awesome about talking to me the entire time, and there was a nurse in the background who counted off the seconds during the actual laser time so I knew how much longer I had. In between procedures they would tell me jokes. There was a clear window into the surgery room so BF & others in waiting room could watch, and they had a monitor with just my eyeball on the screen so he could see exactly what they were doing. He said it was kinda gross, lol. The actually surgery was not nearly as bad as I thought would be, worst part is the beginning when they’re putting the stuff into your eyeball to keep it open, the rest was cake. But I did squeeze the shit out of that beanie baby, lol! When I was done they put these clear goggles over my eyes and had me stand up, that’s when I felt the pill kicking in, lol. BF drove me home (he said I tried to get in the wrong car, lol), made me some lunch (dr. said best if ate something because of pills), gave me another pill and I went to sleep. Don’t remember much about post surgery day except that on the drive home I did notice an improvement in my vision, but they were kinda itchy and dry. Not enough to really hurt, but enough to bug me. And I was VERY light sensitive, when I got home from surgery I made BF shut all the window drapes. Gotta say, he was a sport.

Next morning he took me back for follow up visit, they said I have 20/15 in right eye and 20/20 in left. I was doing better then average day after surgery, and after all that sleep I was actually feeling pretty good. They were kinda red and dry for the first few days and very light sensitive, had to wear sunglasses even if outside for just a second. As part of the care-kit they give you they include a pair of sunglasses since obviously didn’t have any that weren’t prescription yet, lol. Although on Sunday after the surgery BF took me out sunglass shopping, he must have bought me half a dozen pairs, lol. Every once in a while throughout the day my eyes "fuzzed" out a bit, but stabilized within a few days. Also saw halos around lights at dark, but that’s almost gone now too. Dr said both the fuzzing out and night halos are very normal and go away within first week or two. You know when you get a new prescription glasses and it takes you a few days to get use to it, get a little headachy & little dizzy while you get use to the new prescription? Totally had that for first few days, but you can’t take off the new prescription to give your eyes a break, lol.

I have to put drops in four times a day for a week with meds that keep out infection, and than just saline drops whenever I want to keep them moist. And I have to sleep with goggles on for first week too. No makeup for the first week, and be sure to keep eyes shut when face under the shower. I’m at exactly a week today and have to say they are still a little dry, I put saline eye drops in 3 or 4 times a day but VERY happy with the results. Most of the time forget about it now. Only the very tops of my eyeballs are still red, unless I open my eyes super wide no one notices. My vision is awesome, can’t believe it. Really liked getting it done on a Friday afternoon, then going home to sleep and still having a few days off from work before going back. They said you can get surgery done and go back to work next day, but unless it was totally necessary I’d do the Friday afternoon surgery thing. They said would be a few weeks before all the red is gone, and prob be using saline drops for month or two. Not suppose to rub my eyes for a month, and by month 3 my eyes will have totally healed back to normal.

I’m a happy girl, can you tell lol!

Two week mark – almost forget about it now. Maybe put in drops 1 or 2 times a day, but that’s it. I tend to put drops in before I put on makeup in the morning, then drops when I get home from work. Whites of the eyes are still a little pinkish-red under the eyelids, but you can only see it if I open my eyes real wide. The halo at nite thing is almost totally gone now.

hey tuba - scan the mel gibson thread - there was a mini-discussion about lasik there :)

I took all our posts about it out of the Mel thread and moved them into here - for some reason I have been getting a ton of questions about this in the last month or two, so now all the info can be found in one spot. :)

Of all the info I've gathered, the most important is to find the right doctor with all the latest equipment and good reputation. Get referrals if at all possible!!