Sign in to follow this  
princess

Celeb Acts of Awesomeness

Posted Image

Johnny Depp Makes Girl's Dream Come True with School Visit

By Simon Perry

Thursday October 07, 2010 03:50 PM EDT

people.com

If you want to rise up against authority, who better to reach out to than a pirate? That's what schoolgirl Beatrice Delap, 9, did when she penned a note to Johnny Depp.

Writing to his pirate alter-ego, Captain Jack Sparrow, who just happened to be stationed near her school in Greenwich, southeast London, she pleaded: "We are a bunch of budding young pirates. Normally we're a right handful, but we're having trouble mutinying against the teachers. We'd love it if you could come and help."

And aid was soon at hand, when Depp, 47, and some cohorts from the set of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides entered Meridian primary school Wednesday afternoon.

To gasps and a "wow" from little Beatrice, he surprised the children by strolling into a hastily-convened assembly (the school was only given ten minute's notice). Depp proffered the letter, which she'd written after visiting the film set.

"He asked where I was in the audience. I put my hand up and then I had to go up and he gave me a hug," Beatrice told London Tonight TV news. "He said, 'Maybe we shouldn’t mutiny today because there are police outside monitoring me.' "

She concurred: "I said, 'Yeah, that's probably a good idea.' "

But she might join him one day. When asked if she could be a pirate, Beatrice said, "Maybe, I sail."

Edited by princess

and this is exactly why I love Johnny Depp! :inlove:

Posted Image

Taylor Swift Can't Make It to Cancer Patient's Prom—but Guess How She'll Make It Up to Him!

Today 2:49 PM PST by Natalie Finn

EOnline.com

Taylor Swift knows from "Mean." And it turns out she's also pretty familiar with being absolutely lovely.

The country-pop superstar regretfully had to turn down an invitation to attend a prom in New Jersey with 18-year-old Kevin McGuire, who's battling leukemia.

But Swift came up with one heck of an alternative!

"Kevin, I'm so sorry but I won't be able to make it to your prom," Swift wrote on Facebook today. "But I was wondering, the ACM Awards are coming up. Would you be my date? Love, Taylor"

Well, shoot!

"I don't know what else to say," he said, per Philadelphia's CBS 3. "I was just trying not to throw up!"

"I have cancer. Cancer doesn't have me," he added. "Taylor, I would love to go with you."

The idea of getting Taylor to go to the Sterling High School prom in Somerdale, N.J., originated with McGuire's big sister, Tori. Knowing that her brother's spirits needed lifting, Tori started the Facebook page "Taylor Swift take KEVIN MCGUIRE TO PROM!"

"Kevin is the kindest, most noble 18 year old a person could even fathom meeting," Tori wrote, "and throughout his ups and downs Kevin never even questioned 'why me?' Nothing, and I mean NOTHING brightens Kevin's day more than Taylor Swift."

McGuire, a varsity football player, was first diagnosed with leukemia when he was 13 and had been in remission since 2010 but recently suffered a relapse.

He is currently undergoing treatment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia—and it's an interview he gave to Philly's Fox 29 about Tori's efforts that really helped get the ball rolling on Twitter and Facebook. Swift ended up hearing the news while in Australia promoting her latest film, The Lorax.

While 93,840 people have liked the idea of Swift going to the prom in June, 71,417 already adore the idea of McGuire going to the Academy of Country Music Awards with her on April 1.

And we have a feeling the number of likes will skyrocket.

I think this is awesome (and I had a hard time finding a good thread for this 😉) Anthony Anderson finished his undergrad degree - spurred on by his son being accepted at Howard, he finished his course requirement online and graduated this month! https://www.celebitchy.com/766591/anthony_anderson_graduated_from_howard_university_30_years_in_the_making/

Mostly I've seen athletes doing this (a former basketball player where I work finished his degree 15 or more years after he started and attended commencement last week!) I know Leah Remini is starting her degree (NYU). I've seen a bunch of other actors talking about taking courses during the pandemic (and it's driving me crazy I can't remember who I just saw recently on tv who'd studied policy - didn't say she'd done a degree, but....) I think it's cool! Whether it's showing your kids you can finish what you start, or doing more courses because they interest you or you want a new career direction, I'm all for celebs going to college!!

• Like 3

Steph Curry finished his bachelor's degree this year, 2022 from Davidson (also in NC! I have a couple friends who went there) Originally he was class of 2010 but clearly his basketball career led him astray. He finished online.

Looks like online classes & the pandemic were great tools to help celebs finish their college educations!!

• Like 1

I don't know if this counts as act of awesomeness, but I have to say I love both of these outfits. :kung-fu-panda:

NYPICHPDPICT000007101762.jpg

Jennifer Garner and Kristen Bell pose at the "Party Down" premiere.

Kristen looks....unrecognizable in the face in that photo.  Like she got some fillers that haven't settled yet?  But she looks great from the neck down.

Jennifer Garner always seems to knock it out of the park at formal events.  Love her outfit too.

I've seen Bell on talk shows this year and it's not weird - she looks the same. Could be recent work, could also be she'd been holding the same smile too long without a break and it looks too forced by now.

FYI - Nordstrom sells Lafayette 148, so keep an eye on their sales 😉

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 1