TubaGirl

there was a fire in my building :(

An apartment in my building caught fire yesterday. Our place is fine but smoke got in to it. There's soot or something on everything that needs to be cleaned off. I found a company that cleans electronics but what's the best way to clean off a book? Wiping stuff with alcohol works really well but will it hurt the covers?

An apartment in my building caught fire yesterday. Our place is fine but smoke got in to it. There's soot or something on everything that needs to be cleaned off. I found a company that cleans electronics but what's the best way to clean off a book? Wiping stuff with alcohol works really well but will it hurt the covers?

Bummer! Glad your place is relatively fine. Hope this helps: Soot

Those Magic eraser things? I don't use them on much - I used them on a painted wall and it left super shiny marks so I'm sort of paranoid, but on a book I'd think it might work better....

Hoya, I'm sorry this happened to you! You may be eligible for professional cleaning either under the building's policy, the fire victim's homeowner's insurance, or your own homeowner's/renter's insurance. First check with your building's staff. When my mom had a fire in her townhouse, she got all her furniture, clothes, rugs, everything cleaned. Otherwise you may be dealing with the soot and the smoky smell for a long long time!!

Oh what a bummer!!

Great advise about checking with the insurance companies - both your personal and the building!!