Sign in to follow this  
KikiTopaz

Boardwalk Empire

Daughter found out we signed up again for the premium channels and implored us to check out the new HBO series Boardwalk Empire. I have to say I really like it. I have been working on a story, set during Prohibition/Depression, so I love the concept. Of course Steve Buscemi is fantastic in his role as Nucky Thompson. I love the fact that this is based on real life events/characters and whoever designs the wardrobe will most likely be getting an emmy. Two thumbs up.

I started to watch the first episode but lost interest. Great costumes, but it just didn't grab me - maybe because I've seen too many Prohibition/Depression movies already?? Maybe should have given it a few episodes.

And do tell us once your story is done KikiTopaz :)

I'm watching it weekly via dvr (because Dexter is ALWAYS first :1smile: ) but I can't say that I find it to be really good. I do like gangster/mobster-type stuff but I guess Nucky Thompson isn't that interesting of a character to me. Also, my true feeling about that time in history is that too many people just couldn't mind their own business and got awfully busy trying to dictate what others could and couldn't do and those in charge saw it as a great way to screw people over and take their money. That's always a bad thing in my book, then and now.

I dig the show. :ninja:

It's doing a good job of washing the bad taste of this season's True Blood and a weak opening so far of Dexter. :blink:

Hi BobbyD :hellowave:

I have to say that I like the show more today than when I posted my last thoughts on it. It's not my favorite show but I will continue watching. I like "hardcore" gangster-types, which may be a bigger part of why the Nucky character isn't drawing me in. I've come to the realization that Steve Buscemi works as the lead for this type of character, whereas I was sure initially that he couldn't pull this off. My uncertainty was because I didn't realize the exact nature of Nucky...he's no Tony Soprano, that's for sure :P

Hi BobbyD :hellowave:

I have to say that I like the show more today than when I posted my last thoughts on it. It's not my favorite show but I will continue watching. I like "hardcore" gangster-types, which may be a bigger part of why the Nucky character isn't drawing me in. I've come to the realization that Steve Buscemi works as the lead for this type of character, whereas I was sure initially that he couldn't pull this off. My uncertainty was because I didn't realize the exact nature of Nucky...he's no Tony Soprano, that's for sure :P

:1smile: Hihoumio.

I Agree. I find it refreshing to find a new story about the early gangsters and prohibition. It also is showing how politics was mingled with corruption and the mob. I'm drawn to the people around Buscemi(not so much him), I especially really dig the Margaret widow character and her battle with early women's rights/suffrage while being a kept woman of Nucky, who had her husband murdered. I dig her...she's got something brewing that will be fun to watch.

Maybe this will also finally lead to an Al Capone feature(long overdue).

I started to watch the first episode but lost interest. Great costumes, but it just didn't grab me - maybe because I've seen too many Prohibition/Depression movies already?? Maybe should have given it a few episodes.

And do tell us once your story is done KikiTopaz :)

If you get a chance, try and watch the making of Boardwalk Empire. It's about 30-minutes and I'm sure HBO has it somewhere in it's lineup again or even online. The behind the scenes story of how Scorsese became involved, who Nucky is based on, the intricacies of the other characters and how the actors got into their character roles is really fascinating. I liked the part of how NJ wouldn't let the crew film on the Boardwalk, so Scorcese built a set in Brooklyn, based on old photos of the Atlantic City Boardwalk at the beginning of the 20th century.