Sign in to follow this  
princess

Courtney Love - America’s Sweetheart

Courtney Tries for Her Rock ComebackTODD PETERSONpeople.comShe most certainly is not "America's Sweetheart." But Courtney Love's infamous career faces another test this week with the release of her new solo album, all while she deals with controversies in court and in her personal life.Originally scheduled for release last September, "America's Sweetheart" was delayed -- and so began a series of personal crises for Love, the Associated Press reports. She was caught breaking into an ex-boyfriend's home in Los Angeles, and though she was not charged with that crime, she did test positive for a controlled substance. She was subsequently charged with two felony counts of possession of a controlled substance. (A hearing in that case has been postponed until Wednesday.)Following her admission of drug use, her daughter, Frances Bean, with late Nirvana musician Kurt Cobain, was removed from Love's custody and placed in the care of Cobain's mother, Wendy O'Connor, reports the New York Post.Love has had an up-and-down career, both as a musician and as an actress. Following Cobain's suicide in 1994, Love's band Hole garnered success with the album "Live Through This." Love later went on to critical acclaim in the 1996 film "The People vs. Larry Flynt." She has also appeared in movies such as "200 Cigarettes," "Man on the Moon" and "Basquiat."On the musical front, Hole released "Celebrity Skin" in 1998, but the band ultimately disbanded in 2002. This is Love's first musical effort since.As for critical reaction to the new disc -- which includes songs cowritten by Pink and Christina Aguilera collaborator Linda Perry -- The New York Times concludes that it "is ultimately the fiercely honest stomp and screech of Ms. Love ? that makes this CD sing."The paper then adds, "'America's Sweetheart' is good enough to renew the Courtney Love drama for at least another season."

Is Courtney Love going to star in a reality TV show?That’s what the grunge goddess — or someone pretending to be her — claims in a long, rambling, barely literate posting on a web site. “I also wanna say im so embarassed about this tabloid s--- thats happening,†she writes. (The Scoop is printing the excerpts from posting as they ran, without fixing up the grammar.) “So YES i am going to do a [expletive] REALITY show. Im sorry i have to.â€Love also makes an unkind comment on her late husband, Kurt Cobain: “my Dead Husband is the biggest pain in the a—sometimes.â€

RuetersNEW YORK - Rocker Courtney Love was arraigned Thursday on assault charges stemming from a nightclub incident two months ago when she was accused of hitting a man on the head with a microphone stand.Love, widow of late grunge rocker Kurt Cobain, followed her brief appearance in Manhattan Criminal Court with a rambling interview in a bathroom with a crowd of female reporters.The singer and actress covered a wide range of topics in her diatribe, touching on her lifestyle and her image.“I’m exactly the same as I’ve always been,†said Love, who stopped on her way out to touch up a court artist’s rendition of her. “I’m not a demure housewife. Why should I start acting like one?â€â€œI was a junkie. I’m not now,†she added, clad in a pink paisley tunic and pants.Love, 39, was arrested on March 18 after throwing a microphone stand into the audience at the Plaid nightclub and hitting Greg Burgett, 23, of London, Kentucky.She faces two misdemeanor counts of assault and reckless endangerment and faces up to a year in jail if convicted.The troubled entertainer recently lost custody of Frances Bean, 11, her daughter with Cobain, after her arrest in Los Angeles on cocaine and illegal-prescription drug charges.In court documents, Love claimed her New York arrest was a case of being victimized.“You’re arresting me because of what happened in L.A. You just want to be famous. The police have a conspiracy against rocker chicks,†she told police.She later pleaded with them not to arrest her, saying: â€Please don’t do this to me.... I’m not the greatest mother in the world but I’m her mother. This incident will affect my custody case with my daughter. I’m not going to be able to get my kid.â€Love is scheduled back in court on June 28.

Sorry for this long post, but it was just too good. New York PostMay 14, 2004 -- Rocker Courtney Love roared into a Manhattan courthouse like a hot-pink hurricane yesterday - wowing a 10-camera-deep crowd of media with a frenetic, disjointed monologue about sex, drugs and money problems.The straw-haired Love - wearing a hot-pink sari-like dress and green toenail polish - was briefly silent while getting arraigned for allegedly hurling a mike stand into the audience of an East Village club.But for an hour afterward, her lipstick-smudged mouth was off and running, leaving a crowd of 50 reporters and photographers scratching their collective heads.Most of the grunge goddesses' unstrung pearls of wisdom were scattered about as she squatted comfortably on the grimy floor of the second-floor ladies' room. In no particular order, they include:* "Mrs. Consuela was the pet name for his genitals." It was unclear whose.* "Let me say something rude - I'm really rich!"* "They're having sex with girls from my Web site - little girls, 15, 16, 17, 18." It was unclear who "they" are.* "Check this out! I have to watch video of [two people] having sex in my bed, and he puts my jewelry on her."* "I think God f- - -ed me for committing too many adulteries."* "I need a cigarette or I'll die!"* "No! No! I don't do drugs. I was a junkie - I can't medicate myself - you gotta really watch it."Love, 39, pulled up to court in a black stretch limo almost two hours after her lawyers expected her. "Oh, that's for that drug addict," one passer-by said of the hubbub.The rocker had much to tell reporters - most of it a diatribe against ex-boyfriend Jim Barber, whose L.A. house she allegedly broke into in October.She insisted actor Russell Crowe had wanted her to go as his "date" to the Golden Globes - only somebody deleted his telephone messages.Traitors around her, including a "hippie lady in Maui," were embezzling the royalties of her late husband, Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain, she claimed.And her 11-year-old daughter by Cobain, Frances Bean, is now supposedly offering to help with the resultant financial difficulties. "She's like, 'I want to sell my horse,' " Love said of her daughter, getting weepy at one point. Frances was removed from Love's custody in October after Love overdosed on painkillers."I bought her a fantasy horse! She wants to make me feel better!" she said of the girl.At one point, Love looked up from in her women-only, ladies'-room press conference. "You seem so damn confused," she told her flummoxed press. "Excuse me, I am, too!"Love was just as chatty when she was busted on the mike-stand-tossing charges in March, court papers revealed."There were four other blondes on the stage. How do you know it's me?" she told cops at first, according to the papers."This incident will affect my custody case with my daughter," she worried aloud.She is also quoted as saying of the 24-year-old man whose head was struck by the stand, "He just wants to sue me."Finally, she griped, "The police just have a conspiracy against rocker chicks."

Posted Image

Courtney Love in Spin [Oct. Issue]

Courtney Love: Let the healing begin

© Phoebe Reilly of Spin, October 2005 Issue

It's been 11 years since Live Through This came out. Are you still bitter about rumors that you didn't write a lot of the songs? I don't give a shit anymore. My number one thing to work on is not being reactive - but appropriateness doesn't come easily to me sometimes. One of the reasons I hate Dave [Grohl] so much is he went on Howard Stern and said "I like 'Teenage Whore' because I know she wrote it." That stupid motherfucker. He knows exactly what I wrote, he knows exactly the input I had on [Nirvana's] third album. Kurt came [by the studio] to play with [Hole] more than he did with Nirvana because he liked us better. But, hey, it wouldn't be Spin if I wasn't slagging anybody.

When was the last time you listened to Live Through This? I haven't. It was so easy to make that I get surprised by the effect it had on people. But, you know, all good rock is easy. The riffs just came, and they were fresh from chords that I'd learned from [billy] Corgan and Kurt. I wrote "Doll Parts" in five minutes.

Do you think that it still resonates with people? I can't even go to a club without running into a 19-year-old who's really, really affected by it. It pisses me off - it would piss off anyone to have their one record [that affects people] be ten years old. What about America's Sweetheart? It's not exactly whitechocolatespaceegg, fuckers.

Spin gave it an A-. Well, it had some problems. I was trying to be an international junkie making Exile on Main St., and I didn't make Exile on Main St. I had people following me around, giving me all sorts of drugs all over the world, and I thought, "Oh! The blues will come out." And they just sort of didn't.

You say you learned a lot about music from Billy and Kurt, but with the exception of Eric Erlandson, you chose to play with women - was that a feminist decision? I'll always prefer to play with women and hang out with women, and I'll always be a feminist. But let me tell you something. Gloria Steinem never helped me out; Larry Flynt did.

You used to have a lot of animosity for the riot grrrl movement. You even wrote a song, "Rock Star," making fun of it. What provoked that? Look, you've got these highly intelligent imperious girls, but who told them it was their undeniable American right not to be offended? Being offended is part of being in the real world. I'm offended every time I see George Bush on TV! And, frankly, it wasn't very good music.

So we can assume you haven't put aside your differences with former Bikini Kill leader Kathleen Hanna? I still don't like her. She bugs me. Kathleen Hanna runs that ship [her relationship with Beastie Boy Adam Horovitz] in a way that is far more Yoko than I would be. I envision her being in a decked-out loft with a little corner for a desk that look like it belongs in a poor person's East Village apartment, with her battered-women's stuff and her Ms. magazines and all her communication with leading feminists. I really liked [drummer] Tobi [Vail] and Kathleen in the beginning, and then I just thought they were hypocrites.

Was Celebrity Skin your attempt to distance yourself from punk music? I wanted to prove that I had poppier chops. I did not want to make the widow record. I still haven't made the widow record.

Isn't Live Through This the widow record? It's possible. I don't think if I had been [belly frontwoman] Tanya Donnelly and put out Live Through This anybody would've cared. Kurt had this dumb suicidal ideation - that's what I called it. I thought if we could live through this, we could live through anything.

Does that mean his suicide came as a shock to you? Well, after that incident in Rome [where Cobain overdosed in March 1994] - thank God nobody ever got ahold of this - but he left me a nasty note. I tried to have sex with him in the hospital afterwards - why am I telling you this? Anyway, he was just gone. Gone. I know it's ten years and you're supposed to get over shit. But it seems like some days it gets worse.

How could things have gone differently? There's this great Pete Townshend quote, and it goes something like "Rock'n'roll is a fire that is set by young bodies, and one day you wake up and you smell your own flesh burning." You know, for instance, not being protected by people, to the point that I got taken off to Bellevue [Hospital] on a fucking gurney.

Yeah, what happened? First of all, I just need you to know that Marilyn Manson told me drummer that that was obviously staged. And I thought about it, and I'm like, "Well, I did put on a Donna Karen slip dress. And there was definitely lip gloss." As the pictures were being taken, I knew they were disgusting, but I thought, in 20 years this is going to be an iconoclastic, hysterical moment in rock. I get taken off to Bellevue on a gurney? Come on, Lydia Lunch didn't even get that.

Do you think the media have misrepresented you? Something went wrong with my context last year - I think it might have been the um, crack.

[Laughs] I'm not sure I should be laughing. No, it's kind of funny. The word is so funny. Crack! I quit that, it was a bad phase. My problem was, you think they're talking about you on TV? Well, they were talking about me on TV. You think you're being followed? I was being followed. You think your phone's being tapped? My phone was being tapped. It was like crack-plus.

How is Frances Bean doing? The good news is that she's really popular. She's not depressive and she's superhappy. She wrote down different bands whose albums she wanted, and it was, like, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Nirvana. I was like, "Frances!" She's a freak.

You predicted that she would be tortured. Hasn't happened yet. She's fucking normal. She was preverbal when her dad died. You know, I believe in my heart of hearts if Kurt had stuck around six more months, the shit would have faded, and she would've been verbal. And you just can't off yourself when your kid talks.

What's it like to know you will always be associated with him? The Kurt thing has burdened me so much. In a lot of ways I wish I just had a baby with him and didn't marry him - I could've gone my own way. The biggest thing to get through with me, whether we're doing a movie or an interview or hanging out - the first baptism is we're listening to the radio and a Nirvana song comes on and people always want to know: Do they turn it off? Do they pretend it's not happening? I just start singing and get it over with. I like those songs. I like the song about my vagina; I like "Heart Shaped Box."

In some ways, you're actively involved in Kurt's legacy. You got a lot of shit for the way you handled the Nirvana box set. People are always saying, "How dare she? How dare she?" Because he was my husband. Because [the other] guys want to rewrite history. Because they didn't even like him. I can't deal with it. They wanted to call the box set Sappy!

Now that Nirvana and a lot of the bands that defined the early '90s are no longer around, where does that leave alternative music? Ten years ago it was a pretty even playing field in terms of rock'n'roll. But now Weezer, Velvet Revolver, me - we're like a niche market compared to what's on the charts, and what's on the charts is all black bought by all white. It freaks me out. I've been asked to write with the Neptunes. I've been asked to write with Andre 3000. I could write with Eve right now. But what would I do? Teach them the three punk chords? I mean, I really like Eve. She kept putting out my cigarettes and making sure my bra wasn't showing at the Barbershop 2 premiere. If I was black and a rapper, I'd be Eve. I'm a bigger badass than 50 Cent - and the only gun I've ever held in my hand was the one my husband shot himself with.

So what do you listen to these days? The only thing that's really riled me up in the last ten years has been the White Stripes. That's the one band that's gotten me competitive, and that's good. That's where I go, "Oh, fuck you! I'm going to make mincemeat out of you and hand you your ass." I told [music journalist] Neil Strauss, "I have a magical pussy, and it's only for Jack," which was a stupid thing to do, because I had to go to Japan with him in first class and sit there for 18 hours turning green while he shunned me. I like this new music. I don't think Snow Patrol is going to sell jillions, but I don't give a shit. I can turn on the radio right now and be inspired. We went through ten years of the Limp Bizkit thing, and I didn't know what to do. I have to be part of a community. I don't care if they're young or old, as long as they can wear crazy makeup and show their tits onstage. I'm 41, I can't show my tits onstage anymore. Me on David Letterman's desk? That's the last titty you get. The guy at Wendy's? That was the end of me and my tits.

But exhibitionism has always been part of your appeal. Sexual power was important to me then. It's not as important to me now.

Why is that? Because I'm not slutty and I don't need to prove myself so much. After Kurt died, for about five years, I would fuck anybody that was A-list just to say I did. I care about myself a little bit more now.

Do you have any regrets? I think I would've been happier if I'd married Edward [Norton]. I'll regret that to my dying day.

Would you say that you've embraced celebrity? I love to hang out with the fucking A-listers - it's fun. You gotta be able to change worlds. The rockers have been a little meaner to me in the last year, and the A-listers haven't been mean to me at all. I get invited to every party. You know, I am cool. I just am. I have to get back to believing that and not have voices in my head - and I'm doing that sober, which is a little rough. But I want the toys. I like free gowns. I like going to Elton John's house. I'm pretty conflicted.

You've had a career as both an actress and a musician. What's the difference? Being a rock star is like being a cult leader - you really have to be in your own religion. Movie stars are supposed to be healthy. They're kept happy and nutritionally together. In rock stardom there's an absolute economic upside to self-destruction. What makes the most money for this business? Dead rock stars.

You published Kurt's journals. Do you have any other plans to preserve his legacy? No one will take Kurt's ashes, because they don't want crowds. I was up in Seattle recently and drove by our old house on Lake Washington Boulevard. It's crazy. It looks like [Paris cemetery] Pere-Lachaise; it looks like [Jim] Morrison's grave. Syringes, bottles, tree carvings. That's what kids do. But I don't want Kurt in a bank vault somewhere. I want to be able to say: "I've laid you out somewhere, and people can come."

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Courtney Love's Quick Trip to the Hospital

Frances Bean's mom, decked out in a giant doily, checked in to Cedars Sinai at around 3:00 AM Friday morning after allegedly complaining about throat and chest pains.

Love's rep confirms she was diagnosed with strep throat and then sent on her way. We're told the 90s rocker stopped by a gas station on the way home to pick up a pack of smokes and some toilet literature (see left).

Looks like it's going to be a good weekend for Love.

Source: TMZ

Courtney Love's Japan 'Obsession'

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courtney Love is "obsessed" with Japan.

In a confusing blog on her MySpace page, the former Hole singer reveals she can't get enough of a female Japanese artist.

She wrote: "Anyone Japanese know who played 'NANA' in Ai Kawazawas 'NANA' as adapted to a Japanese Teen Rock movie? I do love my Ai. I'd love to get in touch with her. Anyway - I hear she's the one to give a song to, and I'm obsessed with a Japanese female artist crossing over here - it'd be so cool."

'Nana' is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Ai Yazawa that has been turned into two animated films.

Courtney, 44 - who was married to Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain, who committed suicide in 1994 - went on to say: "I'm sorry I feel it's somewhat racist to have blonde Gaijin pop singer with all Asian backup dancers - maybe that's the Japanese soul in me? I dunno I am so respectful of them as a country and a people."

The singer recently confessed she will never perform with an all-girl line-up again because most music created by women isn't very good.

She said: "There are f***ing riot girls sitting there banging on pots and pans and talking about their vaginas, and that's all really lovely, but the music blows."

Source: monstersandcritics.com

Courtney Love To Move To UK

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Courtney Love is moving to the UK.

The former Hole singer is growing tired of life in Los Angeles and is planning to buy a house in Britain for her and daughter Frances Bean, 16.

Courtney - the widow of Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain - said: "Buckinghamshire is where I want to go. I read Country Life magazine every week. I'm fed up with Los Angeles. It's full of crazy people.

"People criticise Britain but it's still a cleaner, safer place to live than Hollywood."

However, Courtney - who is also looking at properties in London's Primrose Hill district, close to the home of close friends Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow - will only make the move if her arch-rival Madonna remains in her native America, where she has been since splitting from director Guy Ritchie.

She added to Britain's Daily Star newspaper: "Madonna had better stay the hell away from London when I move here to live. There's no room for us both."

Although Courtney and Gwyneth are now close friends, the 'Iron Man' actress admits she was left "devastated" by their first meeting 10 years ago.

Gwyneth said: "We were in an elevator and she was really horrible to me. And I was the biggest Hole fan of all time. I was devastated.

"When she got sober, she contacted me and was like, 'I feel like I missed an opportunity with you'. Then we just started texting and talking and now when she's here in London she comes round. When we're in Los Angeles we have dinner."

Source: monstersandcritics.com

Love Gives Up Plastic Surgery

COURTNEY LOVE has vowed to avoid any more visits to her plastic surgeon after coming face-to-face with cosmetic surgery enthusiast JOCELYN WILDENSTEIN.

The Celebrity Skin hitmaker has gone under the knife several times and suffered a number of botched procedures, but a meeting with 63-year-old socialite Wildenstein, who has reportedly spent over $3.2 million (£2 million) on reconstructive work, put her off for good.

She says, "I could do with another boob lift, but no way. I don't want to end up looking like her. She looked freaky."

Source contactmusic

Courtney Love Talks New Album

Courtney Love has revealed details of her new album Nobody's Daughter.

The 45-year-old rocker, who began writing new material for the album in 2005, has claimed that her highly-anticipated record is the most "important" work she's ever laboured on.

Love told Rolling Stone: "It’s more important than any record I’ve ever made, by far."

As for using the moniker of her former band Hole to promote Nobody's Daughter, she said: "Wherever I lay my head is Hole. It’s four letters. It is one of the best band names in f**king history, if I do say so myself.

"For a while, I was a little embarrassed it was maybe vulgar, but at least it’s not phallic. It’s H-O-L-E, it’s a great band name, and it’s mine."

Love added: "There’s a lot of maternal instinct on there, and probably my favorite lyric is: ‘Nobody’s daughter, she’s never was, she never will be beholden to anyone. She cannot kill. You don’t understand how evil we really are'.

"I don’t even know what that really means, but I know it’s something to do with my daughter and it’s also to do with me."

Nobody's Daughter is to be released in January 2010.

Source digitalspy.co.uk

Courtney Love unveils all-new Hole line-up

Courtney Love is hitting the road with an all-new line up for her band Hole in the group's first live concerts since 1999.

The rocker founded Hole with Eric Erlandson in 1989 and formed a trio with Melissa Auf der Maur.

The band split in 2002 but Love revealed plans last year to release new material under the Hole name, without Erlandson and Auf der Maur.

She unveiled her new line-up last week, introducing fans to guitarist Micko Larkin, bassist Shawn Saily and drummer Stu Fischer.

The revamped Hole will go on tour in Europe next month with stops in London, Milan, Italy, and Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Last summer, Love was embroiled in a dispute with her former pal Erlandson over the rights to the band name, the latter claiming Kurt Cobain's widow was banned from releasing music under Hole after allegedly signing over ownership to Erlandson.

He told Spin magazine, "We have a contract. She signed a contract with me when we decided to break up the band, which was like 2002 or something... The way I look at it, there is no Hole without me. To put it blunt. Just on a business level."

But Love hit back at her former pal's allegations, insisting Hole will always be her band.

She wrote on her Twitter.com blog, "I just heard that a former guitar player is saying I can't use my name for MY band, he's out of his MIND. He may want to check the trademark... Hole is MY Band, MY name and MY Trademark."

The singer is planning to release Hole's next record, "Nobody's Daughter," later this year.

source: http://www.sfgate.com

Courtney Love settles Hole dispute

Courtney Love has reportedly resolved the dispute over her decision to resurrect Hole - hinting she's come to a financial arrangement which will allow her to use the rock band's name.

Last year Love announced plans to bring the "Celebrity Skin" group back to the stage, plotting gigs in North America and Europe.

But the news didn't go down well with fellow founding member Eric Erlandson, who alleged Love had signed a contract that banned her from using the Hole tag for any future ventures without his permission.

Love has now spoken out about the drama, insisting the tour will go ahead under the moniker but without Erlandson and Melissa Auf der Maur, who made up the original trio.

And she's suggested the dispute has been settled through her legal team.

She tells NME.com, "It is Hole, yes of course. How do I do this? It is just because it is, and it is because we just negotiated our thing and it'll be fine. Everyone has good lawyers.

"I don't want to slam him (Erlandson). I'm a big sharer. Inside the business I am not known for being a stinge, for sure. I'm not stingy in any way, I give a lot of publishing (rights) to everyone."

source: http://www.sfgate.com

Courtney Love Threatens Lawsuit over Daughter's Custody

Courtney Love has again taken to Twitter, this time to rant about her plans to sue the mother and sister of Love's late husband Kurt Cobain over custody of daughter Frances Bean.

Using the new Twitter handle CourtneyLoveUK, the Hole frontwoman insisted: "this s--t with the bean needs to be exposed for what it is right f--king NOW enough."

Love, 45, also wrote (spelling and grammar hers): "they squeesed my bank accounts so that they were frozen because they know im going to sue the holy s--t out of them and now are … crocodiling my kid whose better than this seriously she was raised too well to be bought," referring to her daughter's grandmother,Wendy O'Conno, and aunt Kimberly Dawn Cobain.

Love, 45, has a temporary restraining order against her that prevents her from contacting her 17-year-old daughter.

Another Tweet from Love proclaims: "im severely lonely without my best friend and no am not on drugs BTW."

Source People

Courtney Love Staying Stupid

Courtney Love "shaves every day".

The Hole singer says she rewrote one of her new songs, 'Skinny Little B***h' because it wasn't stupid enough and she is always afraid of the consequences of appearing too clever.

She said: "I went to the site of the World Trade Centre at 3am and rewrote the song so it wouldn't be clever-clever. It's just completely visceral, kind of stupid. And it's really, really important to keep that stupid part of yourself alive, otherwise you start getting all smart and growing stupid facial hair. Including me. I shave every day."

The group are preparing for the release of long-awaited LP 'Nobody's Daughter', and Courtney admits she is still unhappy with the record but doesn't think it will ever get release if it is delayed until it reaches her required standard.

She told NME magazine: "I'm a crazy perfectionist. I'm never ever gonna put this out unless it comes out. So I'm putting it out."

Source femalefirst