princess

bamboo vs laminate flooring

Is it seriously time I re-carpet my living/dinning room area and I've been considering doing a laminate flooring instead. Little bit more upfront, on the other hand I don't need to hire carpet cleaners every year. And unlike real wood, don't need to sand them. Then I found bamboo flooring with is really appealing to me. Anyone have any thoughts? :3huh: I do live in an upstairs condo, so not sure how much noise it may cause for my downstairs neighbor... (who I love, she's my pet sitter so I don't want to piss her off!!). Only about 350 square feet.....

I like bamboo, it's a renewable resource, the flooring has a couple different colors now (in the beginning - not so much ;-) Laminate to me will always look like a plastic photo of wood. I'm not a fan. Of course I'm spoiled and have wood floors (my husband installed them all so I can't ever leave him :-) My vote is bamboo. But I think the upkeep for both will be similar, and since I don't think you can refinish bamboo, and I know you can't refinish laminate, they get the same grade in that category....

Sounds like the bamboo lasts longer than laminate, but do have a bit of maintenance of sanding like real hardwood floors. On the other hand bamboo keeps cooler in the summer, keeps warm in the winter unlike laminate. I've seen some good laminate the last few years, but really dig the bamboo look. I want an espresso brown color, 5" wide planks. Hum.... time to get some quotes unless Hoyaheel's husband does house calls in San DIego ;)

We have bamboo flooring over our entire downstairs and I love it. Just keep in mind that it is softer so if you are a klutz like me dropping things all day expect a few dings and marks on the floor. :)

Thanks for the input GovMarley! I'm more of a spiller - coffee, wine, food.... bamboo absorb those spills, or would I be dealing with stains??

We have bamboo in our entryway and hallway and like the look. It can scratch and we had some discoloration when the hot water heater broke, but the planks were easily replaceable. Our dog and a cat don't have any issues with slip sliding paws on the surface either. We also have a condo - I think the buffering might have something to do with what's below the flooring and between the upper and lower units. Oh, and Windex works the best for keeping it clean.

bamboo absorb those spills, or would I be dealing with stains??

No, the sealant should keep it from absorbing if you're able to clean spills fairly quickly.

As for scratches & dings, learn the word "patina". Learn to love that word!!

We have cherry floors. Cherry is pretty soft (compared to, say, oak) but I love it. The first big ding (I dropped something taking it out of the fridge)I freaked for a couple minutes, then said "oh well, it's patina" and that's become our standard mantra about the floor.

Sorry, HoyaHubby said he won't do another floor for me. Good luck - I know you'll love it! The nicest thing about a hard floor is you can add rugs if you want color or noise reduction - so much easier to change out if you're bored :4biggrin:

Great, thanks guys!! Exactly the input I was looking for. Off to the Del Mar Fair this weekend with lots of flooring vendors :)