princess

Things that make you say "Hummm....."

I also have a high school senior smack dab in the middle of the process. The details of the indictment are CRAZY! This is so much more than the headlines say. Faking pictures of kids playing sports, photoshopping kids faces into athletes, faking disabilities to get into the phony test centers... Huffman wrote her check “to a charitable organization.” Did she then claim it on her taxes? Throw in tax fraud too. There was a complete rundown of the CEOs somewhere that detailed their businesses. 

2 hours ago, dixiedoodah said:

I also have a high school senior smack dab in the middle of the process. The details of the indictment are CRAZY! This is so much more than the headlines say. Faking pictures of kids playing sports, photoshopping kids faces into athletes, faking disabilities to get into the phony test centers... Huffman wrote her check “to a charitable organization.” Did she then claim it on her taxes? Throw in tax fraud too. There was a complete rundown of the CEOs somewhere that detailed their businesses. 

Where did you read all this? 

All I can think is that this wasn't the only agent doing this, he was just the one that got caught.  I'm sure a lot of Hollywood is very nervous right now hoping another agent isn't caught!

• Haha 1

TMZ

The 50 people who were indicted for allegedly paying bribe money to get their kids into college may just be the tip of the iceberg, and scores of very nervous and very rich parents are calling around L.A. trying to get recon.

Sources familiar with the case tell TMZ, FBI agents have seized numerous cell phones and other evidence they believe will lead them to other parents, college employees and others who might have participated in admissions bribery.

We know a number of wealthy parents from some of the most exclusive private schools in L.A. were calling around Tuesday, asking if Rick Singer, the ringleader who just copped a plea, kept lists of clients. As one source put it, "These parents are sweating bullets."

On a different front, sources at USC familiar with the scandal tell us the University has known about the investigation for around 2 months, but they did not investigate ... because they didn't want to undermine the feds. Our sources say they've dealt with the U.S. Attorney's Office before, and they know if they conducted a simultaneous investigation it could tip off witnesses and targets, and result in the destruction of evidence.

As for what USC will do with the students whose parents got them into the school via bribery, well-connected sources tell us the students will not all be evaluated the same way. We're told if the students knew they were admitted because of bribes, they will be expelled. If they were in the dark, the University will evaluate all of the circumstances and the decisions will be student-specific.

And, one final thing, as for USC ... we know officials are furious at the parents who engaged in bribery. They say it has tarnished the school, the students and the athletic programs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Georgetown is my alma mater & they've released a letter from the school lawyers to alums (as have other schools that I've seen). GU fired the tennis coach in 2017 when they discovered his recruitment techniques went against school rules. They say (?) they didn't think anything was illegal, though. But when approached by the feds a few months back, they cooperated fully. As for the only student in this batch who knowingly participated in the SAT cheating, she's currently a junior at Georgetown and they won't discuss publicly how they'll handle that.....

I am sure this is not the only fraud out there around college admissions but this is pretty big (and yes, good for gossip!)

I can only think this is the tip of the iceberg. Somehow, the NCAA needs to come in and tighten up requirements.   Especially since they made millions off of the athletes.   I have no doubt the schools will step in and tighten their reins.

Edited by branchop

Speaking of William and Felicity possibly being on the rocks......

Does anyone else remember rumblings from about 10 years or so ago that they had separated?  I swear I remember seeing this in multiple places but the interwebs have been scrubbed clean of all evidence.  I wonder if those old stories will start to re-emerge as the fallout from Operation Varsity Blues revs up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maxiemom said:

Speaking of William and Felicity possibly being on the rocks......

Does anyone else remember rumblings from about 10 years or so ago that they had separated?  I swear I remember seeing this in multiple places but the interwebs have been scrubbed clean of all evidence.  I wonder if those old stories will start to re-emerge as the fallout from Operation Varsity Blues revs up.

Yes! We talked here about how everything has disappeared from the web. Very strange!

• Like 1

Did we save any of those old articles here? That would be interesting. I’ll have to go try to search them.

Nope. Can’t find anything. They were guesses in a lot of BI and we alluded to the fact that they had marital troubles, but can’t find the links. Just this thread saying that they look to have been scrubbed. Interesting that this seems to be where we got into the habit of pasting the text of articles and not just the links.

Edited by dixiedoodah
  • Like 3

Thank you all for confirming that I am not losing it completely, even if my time frame may be a bit off.  At least I am not losing it over this particular subject.  :)

• Like 3

The Felicity Huffman/William Macy divorce that never happened was my first and most evident proof that if you want something gone from the Internet, it can be gone.   

To this day I have no idea why they needed it to disappear.   And I can only imagine how much it costs

• Like 2

I'm so glad I have you all to ensure I wasn't crazy back then (and every time we've discussed it since!)

I don't even recall any scandal about the split - no affairs or anything - just a separation - so yeah, no clue why that all had to be scrubbed. Even for their reputation (and $$ related to that), all they had to say was "we've been married a while, we struggled, we came back together and love each other more than ever" or whatever BS. We always buy that shit ?

• Like 1

Felicity Huffman Pleads Guilty in College Cheating Scandal ... I've 'Betrayed' my Daughter

4/8/2019 12:05 PM PDT

TMZ

Felicity Huffman Pleads Guilty in College Cheating Scandal

Breaking News

Felicity Huffman has thrown in the towel in her college admissions cheating scandal ... pleading guilty, along with 12 other parents and one coach.

The former "Desperate Housewives" star was one of 14 people who entered guilty pleas Monday. She pled guilty to conspiracy to commit mail fraud as well as honest services mail fraud.

Felicity Huffman, 56, of Los Angeles, Calif, paid Rick Singer $15,000 to rig her daughter's SAT test. The girl had twice the amount of time as normal to take the exam and the proctor corrected her answers afterward.

0408-felicity-huffman-statement-1.jpg

Huffman released a statement saying, "I am in full acceptance of my guilt, and with deep regret and shame over what I have done, I accept full responsibility for my actions and will accept the consequences that stem from those actions."

She continues, "I am ashamed of the pain I have caused my daughter, my family, my friends, my colleagues and the educational community."

As for sentencing ... no word. TMZ broke the story, our sources in the prosecutor's office say they wanted some prison time. The prosecutor recommends a sentence to the judge, and the judge has the final word.

The maximum sentence is 20 years in prison. 

Lori Loughlin and her husband were not part of the plea deal.

TMZ Update

3:23 PM PT -- Felicity's plea deal WILL include prison time after all, IF prosecutors get their way ... but only a little.

According to docs, obtained by TMZ, federal prosecutors are recommending a prison term at the "low end of the sentencing guidelines." 

In the docs, the feds say that would be somewhere between 4 to 10 months -- however, Felicity is reserving the right to argue the range should be 0 to 6 months. All of this should be sorted out in sentencing, and it's important to note, these are just the recommendations from prosecutors. The judge will have ultimate say at sentencing.

BTW, they also suggest she pay a fine or penalty of $20k, plus a TBD restitution amount and one year of probation. 

:blink:

• Haha 1

Bits from TMZ

Lori Loughlin and her husband are in a way worse position than Felicity Huffman ... because the huge amount they allegedly paid in bribes to get their daughters into USC could land them in prison for 2 YEARS MINIMUM ... TMZ has learned.

Felicity's plea would enable her to serve as little as 4 months in prison. The problem for Lori and Mossimo is that they paid $500,000 to allegedly bribe the crew coach, and the amount raises the MINIMUM PRISON SENTENCE IN A PLEA DEAL TO A RANGE OF 2 TO 2 1/2 YEARS.

:shocked:

• Like 1

This has been so much in the public eye and everyone is talking about it, people are doing jail time for sure on this.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, princess said:

This has been so much in the public eye and everyone is talking about it, people are doing jail time for sure on this.

I kinda believe that Lori and her husband are in denial. They're being cocky by refusing a deal. 

22 minutes ago, Jerrica Benton said:

I kinda believe that Lori and her husband are in denial. They're being cocky by refusing a deal. 

It also sounds like they did a LOT more cheating than what Felicity did.

• Like 1

I applaud that Felicity lady for the move that she has made. Lori and her husband in my opinion are not only digging their holes deeper, but their decision to not do what Felicity did is only making things worse for their kids.

God bless you and the kids always!!!

Holly