princess

Amanda Bynes

In other words, Mom has plenty of issues of her own.

This story is going to have a tragic ending.

I think you are right.

It screams "denial" and probably stems from the stigma that people still place on the diagnosis of "mental illness."

I am trying to figure out how or why her mother can take her off the meds. I mean, deny the illness all you want, but keep her on the medication that seems to be helping.

Where is dad in all of this?

Stupid stupid mom. She has not had any episodes lately because she had been on her medication. Dumbass. I had such hopes for the young girl. I thought her parents stepped in and were doing the right thing. Now I read this. Bring the Mom up on charges for endangerment.

For the first 10 years they flip back and forth - they maintain meds for a while and live normal life, then think "I must be okay" and stop taking meds so slip back into the same cycle. Or "friends" tell them they seem okay, so live a holistic life and don't give the docs your $$ and get off the meds!" - so they do, and downward spiral again. (Would you tell someone to get off their heart medication or birth control? Then why the hell do people think it's okay to tell others to get off their mood medications?!?! Grr....) Or they have a normal life for a few years and think "It must have been a fluke, I was misdiagnosed, it's not forever" so they slip back, etc.

Also, caretakers often unconsciously zero in and expand on one comment (Amanda could move back home with Mom eventually) made during an open discussion of treatment options and ignore/downplay the rest.

Amanda Bynes

Mom Takes Her Off Meds

Despite Evidence of Mental Illness

4/10/2014 1:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ

Amanda Bynes ARRESTED FOR Driving Under Influence of Drugs 27 minutes ago BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Amanda Bynes was arrested in Los Angeles yesterday after cops determined she was driving under the influence ... and our law enforcement sources say she was on drugs ... TMZ has learned

Here's what we know -- Bynes was driving a Mercedes in the San Fernando Valley when she stopped in the middle of an intersection on Van Nuys Blvd.

A CHP officer spotted her and determined she was under the influence. She was taken to the LAPD Van Nuys division where a drug recognition officer evaluated her and determined she was under the influence of a drug.

Amanda was then booked for DUI. She posted $15,000 bail.

Amanda is living with her parents -- after a string of legal and drug problems over the years.

The arrest triggers a legal problem. Amanda is on probation for a wet reckless conviction last February.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/29/amanda-bynes-arrested-in-california/#ixzz3EjdK8xJr

TMZ.com

Amanda Bynes was arrested in Los Angeles Sunday after cops determined she was driving under the influence ... and our law enforcement sources say she was on STIMULANT ... but we're told she has also developed a serious weed problem ... again.

Here's what we know -- Bynes was driving a Mercedes in the San Fernando Valley when she stopped in the middle of an intersection on Van Nuys Blvd.

A CHP officer spotted her and determined she was under the influence. She was taken to the LAPD Van Nuys division where a drug recognition officer determined she was under the influence of a stimulant. Toxicology tests are being performed now to determine the exact drug or drugs.

According to the incident report ... Amanda had a "disheveled" appearance.

Amanda was then booked for DUI. She posted $15,000 bail.

Amanda has had trouble with mental problems for years now. Her parents had a conservatorship which ended earlier this month and as one source says, "Things started going haywire."

We're told Amanda has moved out of her parents home and is now living in an Orange County apartment.
We're told she has been smoking weed for weeks and things are bad again.

The arrest triggers a legal problem. Amanda is on probation for a wet reckless conviction last February.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3EjvAYXLn

I knew her moving back in with her parents was a bad idea. She needs to be accountable to herself, not her parents....

Amanda Bynes
Parents Knew Nothing of Arrest

No Idea Where She Is Now

23 minutes ago BY TMZ STAFF

The parents of Amanda Bynes are in the dark about their daughter's arrest and have no idea where she is or what she's been doing since her conservatorship ended.

Bynes' father Rick said he and his wife learned about Amanda's arrest from the media ... they weren't the ones who bailed her out. Rick repeatedly said, "We don't know," when asked about Amanda.

It's interesting … Rick said he thought his daughter might be in New York, but TMZ has learned she's staying in the Hollywood area right now.

As TMZ first reported, Amanda moved out of her parents' house once the conservatorship ended earlier this month … but many people close to Amanda feel it was a terrible mistake not to extend it.

We're told Amanda is smoking a lot of weed and is off her anti-psychotic meds for Schizophrenia and bipolarity.

We're also told she was busted for DUI because she was under the influence of Adderall.

Amanda Bynes

Kicked Out of Fashion School

For Weed, Bizarre Conduct

10/1/2014 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amanda Bynes was out of control at her fashion school ... showing up high and offering fellow students money to do her homework ... and we're told it got so bad she was kicked out.

Several classmates at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in Irvine say Amanda has shown big signs of trouble for a while ... and various people have told us she often went to class high on weed.

Student Rachel Loritz tells TMZ ... Amanda often ditched classes ... but even when she showed up, she was clearly high, and not good at hiding it ... she almost always wore sunglasses and laughed out loud at inappropriate times.

We're told the pendulum would often swing and she would then get in "horrendous arguments."

Rachel says ... Amanda paid fellow students to do her homework ... and some took her up on it. Rachel says she rejected Amanda's offer.

We're told Amanda was caught cheating off someone during a test ... and when she was called out she threw a fit.

Multiple sources tell us Amanda was kicked out of the school last month.

TMZ

Amanda Bynes can't get the help she needs until something really bad happens ... because her parents will not re-establish a conservatorship ... TMZ has learned.

Multiple sources connected with the family tell TMZ ... Amanda's parents do NOT think she has a mental illness. As one source put it, "They think she's a bratty kid who thumbs her nose at them and smokes a lot of pot."

We're told everyone around her parents are urging them to get the conservatorship, but so far no luck. That said, it's impossible to put Amanda on a 5150 psychiatric hold until she creates a substantial risk to herself or others.

We're also told various professionals are trigger ready to get the 5150 if Amanda goes off the rails, and they believe it's only a matter of time.

TMZ

Amanda Bynes can't get the help she needs until something really bad happens ... because her parents will not re-establish a conservatorship ... TMZ has learned.

Princess - based on some of your other comments, might this be a good thing? Force Amanda to hit her own rock bottom and want recovery instead of being babysat through something? Because the conservatorship didn't do such a great job last time....

Of course, it could end tragically, but anything could, so.....

TMZ

Princess - based on some of your other comments, might this be a good thing? Force Amanda to hit her own rock bottom and want recovery instead of being babysat through something? Because the conservatorship didn't do such a great job last time....

Of course, it could end tragically, but anything could, so.....

Even if her parents did re-establish the conservatorship, they apparently don't feel she is really mentally ill (if you do believe the tabloids, and I'm inclined to agree they think this) so the root problem of managing her illnesses as a life-long lifestyle still hasn't really been addressed. I'm guessing the parents did the conservatorship to stop her from spending all her money, not dealing with the bigger picture that she is mentally ill and needs to manage it. It appears the in-patient facility did their best while they had her, but her parents dropped the ball by saying telling Amanda and the rest of the world that she isn't really ill, no meds, treat her like an unruly teenager that just needs a good talking too and she'll straighten out. It's very common for family to think/do this.

Best case, she again hits rock bottom and gets another 5150, 5250, etc. so she is no longer allowed to leave on her own free will. It is a slap in the face that something is wrong to both herself and her family/friends, this just isn't bad behavior. Her parents need to educate themselves and be supportive of what will need to be Amanda's new lifestyle (not treating her like a naughty child and giving her a time out). Amanda needs to take responsibility for her own actions and managing her own day-to-day life (although a little help such as conservatorships do help as long as the person who is responsible for it "gets it"), and I'm a big fan of group homes to learn how to take care of a home, clean up after themselves, make a daily schedule, meal planning, not bully roommates and learn proper communication, etc.

Her parents swooping in and essentially cleaning up her mess and making sure she didn't spend all her money didn't work. I've never seen that plan work long term, yet every parent tries it. Their behavior for her next "rock bottom" will be telling, obviously there is a learning curve for everyone here. The question is will her parents and Amanda learn from this.

Rick Bynes Refuses To Let His Wife Fly To New York To Stage An Intervention To Rescue Their Troubled Daughter, Amanda Bynes

Posted on Oct 8, 2014 @ 12:00PM
RadarOnline.com

Rick Bynes, Amanda Bynes‘ father, has forbidden his wife, Lynn Bynes, from hopping on a plane and heading to New York City in a desperate last ditch effort to rescue their troubled daughter.

“Lynn had been making plans to go to New York City because she had been growing so concerned about Amanda’s bizarre behavior,” a source exclusively tells RadarOnline.com.

“Rick was opposed to the visit and thought it would be a waste of Lynn’s time and their money because there is nothing she can do to help Amanda,” continues the source. “Amanda would likely refuse to see her anyway — and that would be if Lynn could even find her.”

As Radar reported, Amanda, who was forcibly hospitalized in the summer of 2013 and reportedly diagnosed with schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder (though she and her mom denied she suffered mental illness at the time), claims she moved from Los Angeles to the Big Apple “to study psychology.”

Since she arrived out East, Amanda’s odd behavior has been on full display all over again. The Hairspray star recently told a reporter with In Touch Weekly that she has a microchip planted in her brain, and she’s going to start charging rent for those accessing her thoughts.

“I want a dollar a day from every person who [is] reading my mind,” the 28-year-old former actress said, according to the magazine.

Despite bizarre episodes like this that point to Amanda suffering from instability, Lynn is listening to her husband and has agreed not to go to New York City.

Still, “she is really torn between taking her husband’s advice and saving Amanda. It’s an impossible situation for Lynn,” an insider tells Radar.

But anything Lynn could do probably wouldn’t matter much, notes the source. Amanda has said that she would have “rather been in jail” than forced to live under her mom and dad’s roof ​, and she has sniped that the time she was under their care was “miserable.”

“Amanda is just headed down a very dangerous road,” worries the source. “Her parents are surprised that she hasn’t been arrested in New York City yet … though Rick thinks a long stint in jail would be the best thing for Amanda.”

TMZ

Amanda Bynes was accused of going full Winona Ryder -- she was caught by security at a trendy New York City store allegedly trying to steal merchandise. NYC cops were called ... but we've learned they just let her go.

According to our sources, Bynes was nabbed by security guards at Barneys on Madison Ave. after she tried to leave without paying. Law enforcement sources tell us she put on a $200 hat and walked out of the store ... security nabbed her outside.

We're told they brought Bynes back in, where witnesses say she was "acting crazy." 4 NYPD officers arrived on scene to question her, but security had already let her go.

Our sources say ... Bynes told security guards she was being chased by fans inside Barneys ... so she grabbed the cap to cover her face. She said she had no intention of stealing anything ... so they let her go. Barneys made her sign a no-trespass agreement ... banning her from re-entering the store.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/08/amanda-bynes-shoplifting-barneys-nyc-stealing-theft/#ixzz3FaH078Xl

Amanda BynesParents Seek Mental Health Treatment

Amanda Flees

10/10/2014 8:26 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amanda Bynes is fleeing New York City after learning her parents were planning to go to NYC to get her in a mental health facility ... TMZ has learned.

We're told Bynes first went to LaGuardia to get out of town but was ordered out of the Airport after screaming at a ticket agent. She was agitated that a flight wasn't immediately leaving. She then jumped in a car to make her way to JFK.

Our sources say ... Amanda's parents have been trying to reason with their daughter to get help for her condition, but Amanda has refused. We're told Amanda's parents had already made plans to put her in a specific facility and had reserved a room, provided they could get their daughter on board.

Amanda is now on the warpath against her dad, saying on Twitter, "He called me ugly as a child." She goes on to make an unsubstantiated sexual misconduct accusation.

She also says, "My dad was verbally and physically abuse (sic) to me as a child."

So far ... Amanda's parents can't find her.

Story Developing

UPDATE:

8:51 A.M. PDT -- The lawyer for Bynes' parents -- Tamar Arminak -- is responding to Amanda's tweets, telling TMZ ... "My clients are heartbroken by these false accusations. Their older children are also horrified at the situation."

Lynne Bynes denies her husband ever abused Amanda or any of their children, saying "Rick has been the best father and husband a family can ask for." She adds, "These allegations stem from Amanda's mental state at the moment. They have no basis in reality."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3FlTfZel2

:blink:

Amanda Bynes

Hospitalized on Psychiatric Hold

10/10/2014 3:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
Amanda Bynes just arrived in L.A. and went directly to a hospital outside L.A. ... where doctors placed her on an involuntary psychiatric hold.

We're told Amanda thought a car service was taking her to The London Hotel where her parents and their attorney were going to meet her. In fact the parents had made arrangements with the car service to take her to a Pasadena hospital instead ... where their lawyer, Tamar Arminak, was waiting with doctors.

We're told doctors placed her on a 5150 psychiatric hold, where she will be held for 72 hours. That hold can be extended for 14 days, and we're told during that time there will be a move to get another conservatorship.

Take a look at the video of Amanda arriving at LAX. She clearly needs help.

Amanda Bynes

Involuntary ConfinementFor Up to 1 Year

10/15/2014 1:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Amanda Bynes is headed for another conservatorship, but we're told it almost certainly will not be at the hands of her parents. Rather, we've learned Amanda's doctors are planning to get the type of conservatorship that can keep her confined and medicated for up to 1 year.

Sources familiar with Amanda's treatment tell TMZ ... the plan is to get an LPS Hold -- something a judge will grant at the behest of doctors but only if the patient is "gravely disabled as a result of a mental disorder or impairment by chronic alcoholism."

The LPS Hold allows doctors to confine Amanda -- at either the hospital or another secure facility -- and administer meds against her will.

The LPS Hold is far more stringent than what her parents could get. The parents could not legally force meds on Amanda nor could they effectively restrain her. We're told Amanda literally hates her parents now after they tricked her into coming to the mental hospital.

You may recall ... doctors got an LPS Hold on Amanda a little more than a year ago after she went off the rails ... ending with lighting a driveway on fire and dousing her dog with gasoline. That LPS Hold expired last month.

Our sources say the doctors will likely ask a judge for a new LPS Hold within a week ... after Amanda is fully diagnosed.

:blink:

As sad as I think it is that they have to go for something like this, I think putting the conservatorship in the hands of somebody other than her parent may be a good thing - if what her mother did is any indication.

On the other hand, I don't know that I could handle being hospitalized for up to a year without my consent. :blink:

Edited by tyler
  • Like 1

Is it any easier to get an adult committed in New York than it is in CA??

I just know in CA it is a bitch. It's hard enough getting them detained under 5150, which is 3 days only. Yes, three days. Then if they don't pass the psych tests (bipolars especially are VERY good at faking people out on psych tests, typically they have very high IQs and are very charming) and you're lucky then you can keep them under 5250, which is an additional 14 days. At that point, if you are lucky enough to even get to this point, they typically end up getting released. Although sometimes it is extended to 5270, which is another 30 days on top of that. So best case, 47 days committed - after that they can leave, or stay on their own free will. I hear NY and other states are similar although the details vary.

So even if she is committed, unless she decides herself to get long-term treatment, it's just a band-aid fix for the current crisis. And often, they won't speak to their families and friends after getting committed (and if you could only get 3 days, they are still super :angry3: ) so things just spiral out of control again that much faster. It is a horrible cycle, even harder to watch it and know there isn't much you can do until they decide themselves to change the pattern. Best you can do is get out of the way, don't provide $$ or in any other way enable, and let them hit rock bottom. :(

Looks like they got the 5270 issued, she must be in really bad shape for them to grant it - VERY hard to do. Interesting to see what conservatorship will do when this expires.

TMZ

Amanda Bynes is in such bad shape ... her doctors secretly got an order from a judge that allows them to hold her for another month ... TMZ has learned.

We've learned Amanda's doctors asked a judge Monday for a 30-day extension to her involuntary commitment. She's been in a psychiatric facility for the last 17 days, and if an extension wasn't granted she would have walked out the front door yesterday.

But Amanda's shrinks made a convincing case ... she is "very ill" and in no shape to care for herself. The judge agreed to the extension.

What's unclear ... whether Amanda's parents will go back to court to regain a conservatorship over her. Initially we were told they would seek another conservatorship, but our sources say they've had a change of heart. Amanda feels betrayed by them for having her committed, so controlling her would be a Herculean effort.

The likely scenario is that the psychiatric hold will be extended for a long time.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3HTJt9VAp

TMZ

Amanda Bynes' parents quietly went to court and got a conservatorship ... after telling the judge their daughter has spent "alarming amounts" of money by purchasing jewelry for strangers.

Amanda's folks filed legal docs -- obtained by TMZ -- in which they say Amanda is a "substantial risk" to herself and others. They cite her erratic behavior, including her DUI arrest last month, her shoplifting and her bizarre and sometimes violent conduct in NYC.

The documents also reveal Amanda is blowing through a shocking amount of her savings. Her parents say her net worth is currently $5,747,703.36. Of that, $2.8 mil is real property -- homes. Her parents say Amanda's only income is from her rental property -- $144,768 last year.

Amanda's parents say the gift purchases have been "extensive." It sounds like she's going into stores, buying stuff and just handing it out on the street.

The conservatorship takes a back seat to Amanda's involuntary commitment. TMZ broke the story ... her doctors just got a 30-day extension which allows them to hold her in a Pasadena psychiatric facility.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz3HYfIscnA

Actually a good thing her folks didn't just jump right back into getting conservatorship to make all the choices, financially and health wise. Looks like now they are only handling money and letting the docs deal with her health. This is a good thing!

She talked her way out if it, happens often when she can maintain for short periods of time in front of person in charge of evaluations. According to tmz she's harassing hotels already in the area. We will see how long before she is 5150d again. I will say, once you have a record like hers, it's actually a little easier to get them recommitted.

Taking away someone's legal right to freedom is hard, even when everyone knows it's in their best interest.