princess

Amanda Bynes

Is it any easier to get an adult committed in New York than it is in CA??

I just know in CA it is a bitch. It's hard enough getting them detained under 5150, which is 3 days only. Yes, three days. Then if they don't pass the psych tests (bipolars especially are VERY good at faking people out on psych tests, typically they have very high IQs and are very charming) and you're lucky then you can keep them under 5250, which is an additional 14 days. At that point, if you are lucky enough to even get to this point, they typically end up getting released. Although sometimes it is extended to 5270, which is another 30 days on top of that. So best case, 47 days committed - after that they can leave, or stay on their own free will. I hear NY and other states are similar although the details vary.

So even if she is committed, unless she decides herself to get long-term treatment, it's just a band-aid fix for the current crisis. And often, they won't speak to their families and friends after getting committed (and if you could only get 3 days, they are still super :angry3: ) so things just spiral out of control again that much faster. It is a horrible cycle, even harder to watch it and know there isn't much you can do until they decide themselves to change the pattern. Best you can do is get out of the way, don't provide $$ or in any other way enable, and let them hit rock bottom. :(

In case anyone needs a re-fresher :D

For what its worth -- a 72 hour hold does not necessarily mean that she will stay the whole 72 hours.

Long story short -- ex's girlfriend went after him, neighbors stepped in on behalf of ex and indicated that they thought girlfiriend was a danger to herself. Cops took her to County -- she was there overnight, but released the next day.

Having said that:

5250 (Involuntary psychiatric hold)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Further information: 5150 (Involuntary psychiatric hold) and 5270 (Involuntary psychiatric hold)

Section 5250 is a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code (specifically, the Lanterman–Petris–Short Act or "LPS") which allows a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person deemed to have certain mental disorders for up to 14 days, following being involuntarily held for 72 hours under a Section 5150 hold.

The hold is placed by psychiatric staff who determine a person deemed to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to him or her self, and/or others and/or gravely disabled, and deemed to need more than a 72 hour hold.

A further hold for up to 30 days can be initiated following a 14 day 5250 hold.

Depends on what the doctors decide I guess.

For what its worth -- a 72 hour hold does not necessarily mean that she will stay the whole 72 hours.

Long story short -- ex's girlfriend went after him, neighbors stepped in on behalf of ex and indicated that they thought girlfiriend was a danger to herself. Cops took her to County -- she was there overnight, but released the next day.

Having said that:

5250 (Involuntary psychiatric hold)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Further information: 5150 (Involuntary psychiatric hold) and 5270 (Involuntary psychiatric hold)

Section 5250 is a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code (specifically, the Lanterman–Petris–Short Act or "LPS") which allows a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person deemed to have certain mental disorders for up to 14 days, following being involuntarily held for 72 hours under a Section 5150 hold.

The hold is placed by psychiatric staff who determine a person deemed to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to him or her self, and/or others and/or gravely disabled, and deemed to need more than a 72 hour hold.

A further hold for up to 30 days can be initiated following a 14 day 5250 hold.

Depends on what the doctors decide I guess.

Yes, the 5150 (or 5250, etc.) means that they CAN hold the patient without the patient's consent. Does not mean they WILL hold the person for as long as they are allowed by the law.

TMZ.com

.....The eye witness also spoke to reporters earlier today, saying he found Bynes lying down near the driveway with her left pant leg on fire. He says she quickly put out the flames and didn't appear injured, but she said her dog had been burned.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2ZuD6P6ay

Visit Fishwrapper: http://www.fishwrapper.com

Thanks Princess- I know we've talked about this before (I learned so much from you guys during the Britney Spears crisis!!) But - not dealing with this in my real life - I have no clue!

But - not dealing with this in my real life - I have no clue!

Be thankful for that :)

I can see someone getting a 5150'd for a domestic fight with their spouse, then being let go a day later after they have cooled off. I do NOT see someone getting released early from a 5150 when they have set themselves, animals and property on fire. Huge difference.

Her family stepped back and stopped getting her out of trouble, stopped covering for her, stopped giving her money, stopped enabling her and that really is the tough love she needs, no matter how "cruel" some people think that is.

TMZ

Amanda Bynes' parents REFUSE to pay for the fire damage their daughter allegedly caused on a neighbor's driveway late Monday night ... telling TMZ it's Amanda's mess to clean up.

We spoke with Amanda's father who tells us he has no intention of paying for any damage or cleanup related to the blaze ... saying, "Amanda needs to pay for it."

TMZ broke the story ... cops believe Amanda used a gas canister to ignite a small blaze in the driveway of an elderly widow who lives in the same neighborhood as Amanda’s parents in Thousand Oaks, CA.

That woman, Bonnie Braaten, turned down an offer from a neighbor who volunteered to power wash her driveway and clean up the mess from the fire. Braaten thinks Amanda’s parents ought to pay for the cleanup ... but clearly, the feeling ain't exactly mutual.

Amanda is currently hospitalized involuntarily on a 5150 psychiatric hold -- while officials examine her mental state.

This actually shows good parenting :)

Amanda Bynes didn't just build a fire in a driveway Monday night ... she put a flaming cloth on top of a gas tank ... effectively creating a makeshift explosive -- this according to an eyewitness 911 call.

The caller describes it as a small fire -- a flaming cloth sitting on top of a gas tank in a residential driveway. He says the reason he called 911 is because of the gas tank ... i.e. the obvious possibility of a massive explosion. The caller says he couldn't tell if the gas tank was full or not.

The eyewitness also spoke to reporters earlier today, saying he found Bynes lying down near the driveway with her left pant leg on fire. He says she quickly put out the flames and didn't appear injured, but she said her dog had been burned.

His story is pretty crazy -- after he confronted Amanda about the fire, he says she took off and got into a cab. You gotta listen.

Thankfully, the gas tank did NOT explode -- but as we reported, the fire department rushed to the scene to extinguish the fire ... and sheriff's deputies placed Bynes on a 5150 psychiatric hold.

TMZ

Edited by fykeylicious

Is it weird that I hope this is true, so she can get the help she needs?

AMANDA BYNES: SIGNS OF SCHIZOPHRENIA

http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/24/amanda-bynes...onservatorship/

Amanda Bynes is exhibiting signs of schizophrenia ... and medical professionals and others WILL seek a 2-week extension on her 5150 psychiatric hold so doctors can properly diagnose her ... sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ.

Diagnosing her problems and getting her appropriate treatment are VERY different things. I too hope she is able to take advantage of the opportunity to get medical attention. But I'm not overly optimistic about it.

Every time I read this thread I am continually reminded of the blind about a young starlet that wanted to break free of her image and was planning (calculating) a "breakdown" a la Britney Spears. Compound that with the quote up thread from the friend who says she is fine and knows what she is doing, and I am having a really hard time taking this seriously. Maybe a disservice to her, but I'm so skeptical of this one.

ETA this is the original blind, am it did say singer, not starlet, but I can't help but thinking of her anyway.

http://www.fanchitchat.com/chatboard/index...showtopic=13568

Edited by dixiedoodah

Amanda Bynes’ former friend says the starlet ‘desperately needs help’

Ana Rivera says she came to know Bynes last November, observed much of her bizarre behavior and was even called ugly repeatedly.

A former New Yorker who claims she befriended troubled former child star Amanda Bynes last November and had a front-row seat to the actress' downward spiral offered more disturbing revelations in an exclusive interview obtained by The News.

Ana Rivera, 22, told media agency Coleman-Rayner that Bynes, 27, talked to herself and watched Marilyn Monroe movies on mute while living between Manhattan hotels and a studio apartment on Wall Street.

"The (Wall Street) place was a mess. She didn't even have a shower curtain in the bathroom, so there was always an inch of water on the floor," Rivera said.

She said Bynes changed all her light bulbs to red, even the lights in her chandelier.

"She said she liked the way it made her look," Rivera recalled.

One day, Bynes purportedly decided to dye her hair purple but didn't use gloves and stained her manicured fingers.

"Her nails were all purple and she kept painting them white obsessively over and over again," Rivera said.

Ana RIvera no longer communicates with Amanda Bynes since the former child star changed her number.

She said the actress later began wearing wigs after scorching her scalp with bleach.

"I asked what happened, and she said that her hair fell out as she had left the bleach on too long and it had burnt her hair off," Rivera recalled.

Rivera told the agency that the "Hairspray" actress felt lonely after moving to the Big Apple from California.

"She opened up, and it was obvious she had problems. It was immediately obvious she didn't have any friends. When I asked if she'd met a lot of people since she moved to New York, she said only me and another woman in her building," Rivera told Coleman-Rayner.

She said Bynes called her ugly repeatedly but never remembered it.

"Everything she said out loud, she thought she was saying in her head. She never even apologized, she just carried on," Rivera claimed.

“When she says in public that it wasn't her, it must be an imposter, I don't think she's even aware or remembers going out in those outfits, and so (she) genuinely believes it's not her," she said.

Rivera moved out of New York in February and last communicated with Bynes in March, before the troubled starlet changed her number, she said.

"She has a hard time talking to people because she's so weird," Rivera said. "She's all over the place. There's a lot of disorganization going on in her brain. She's literally only hanging out with her dog. Amanda desperately needs help."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/g...6#ixzz2a31EVujH

Every time I read this thread I am continually reminded of the blind about a young starlet that wanted to break free of her image and was planning (calculating) a "breakdown" a la Britney Spears. Compound that with the quote up thread from the friend who says she is fine and knows what she is doing, and I am having a really hard time taking this seriously. Maybe a disservice to her, but I'm so skeptical of this one.

ETA this is the original blind, am it did say singer, not starlet, but I can't help but thinking of her anyway.

http://www.fanchitchat.com/chatboard/index...showtopic=13568

I brought that up on back on Page 3 of the thread. I am in the same boat of skepticism as you are. Then again, faking ( or ACTing with) this level of mental problems is *almost* more psychotic than actually having said disease. I am not trying to undercut how serious of a disease schizophrenia is. I'm trying to say that coming up with the idea to fake the disease, thinking it is a good idea, and then executing that idea demonstrates a mental impairment in its own right. It would be sick and twisted. So either way, she has some serious problems and I hope she finds the help and guidance she needs.

Edited by Silliness

TMZ.com

Amanda Bynes’ parents have just filed court documents asking a California judge to impose a conservatorship on their daughter due to her apparent mental illness, TMZ has learned.

The conservatorship would empower Amanda's parents to have decision-making authority over certain aspects of Amanda's life ... though it's unclear, at this point, what specific aspects Amanda's parents are looking to control.

Amanda is currently being held by authorities on a 5150 psychiatric hold ... which was put into place earlier this week after she lit a fire on the driveway of a random elderly woman in Thousand Oaks, Ca.

TMZ broke the story ... doctors at the psychiatric hospital say Amanda is showing signs of schizophrenia.

TMZ has learned the documents outline Amanda's bizarre behavior and highlight the troubling string of incidents -- including the driveway fire -- leading up to the 5150.

There will be a court hearing Friday.

It's worth noting ... it's VERY difficult to get a conservatorship in California

Story developing ...

FYI, TMZ is reporting that her parent now have the dog and he is doing well.

Amanda Bynes

10 Hours of Sanity...

1 Hour of Crazy

Exclusive

TMZ

Amanda Bynes has been true to form in the hospital where she's being held on a psychiatric hold -- she's completely lucid for long stretches, and then goes off the handle crazy.

Sources with knowledge of the situation tell TMZ ... doctors have already determined Amanda is suffering from a severe mental illness "with schizophrenic tendencies." We're told she's aware "there's a good Amanda and a bad Amanda." When she talks about the bad Amanda she almost mimics an exorcism, pulling at her body as if to remove the demon, and even biting herself.

We're told yesterday Amanda was lucid for 10 hours -- she was kind, quiet and nice. During that 10 hour period the staff questioned her about the fire she started Monday and her personality changed radically. She got frustrated and "shut down." But she still remained "normal."

After 10 hours of normal, out of nowhere, her eyes widened, she started to grill the staff about her dog (the one she soaked in gasoline). The staff then told her the dog was safe with her parents, and Amanda went nuts, saying "They'll kill it, just like they tried to kill me." This went on for an hour.

Amanda then got incoherent and so out of control she had to be physically restrained.

And, we're told, Amanda was extensively drug-tested, and everything came up negative, except for marijuana.

And there's this. Initially Amanda was placed with another female patient, but she started berating and insulting her to the point they removed Bynes and put her in a room by herself.

Sources with knowledge of the situation tell TMZ ... doctors have already determined Amanda is suffering from a severe mental illness "with schizophrenic tendencies." We're told she's aware "there's a good Amanda and a bad Amanda." When she talks about the bad Amanda she almost mimics an exorcism, pulling at her body as if to remove the demon, and even biting herself.

Does anybody besides me have a problem with the fact that this facility is leaking information to TMZ of all places.

As for the parents -- why did it take them so long and only after she was arrested?

Does anybody besides me have a problem with the fact that this facility is leaking information to TMZ of all places.

As for the parents -- why did it take them so long and only after she was arrested?

You are not alone in being very disturbed about the leaked information. All of it should be confidential. Either that facility has serious problems or it's all made up. There is a lot of detailed information in that article. :/

As for why the parents waited, I'm guessing it's because it's very hard to get conservatorship (as Princess pointed out). It's almost impossible to get it preemptively. The person must first do something serious before the law will interfere. Our legal system is reactive when it comes to mental health instead of proactive.

Ummmjm maybe, but getting a conservatorship in California can be started simply by filing the paperwork in order to get it started -- I guess I am looking at what happened with Britney -- I don't think her dad waited until she set herself on fire. . .

I think Amanda's parents let the cops do their "dirtywork" and only stepped in after the cops did.

I know that is unkind, but I get help but think that at least an attempt to take action should have been taken sooner ----- then again I don't know what might have been done "behind the scenes" that we will never know about.

*this is me vascillating*

They've reported repeatedly that the parents looked into gaining conservatorship, but were unable to until she was deemed a danger to herself or others.

Ummmjm maybe, but getting a conservatorship in California can be started simply by filing the paperwork in order to get it started -- I guess I am looking at what happened with Britney -- I don't think her dad waited until she set herself on fire. . .

I think Amanda's parents let the cops do their "dirtywork" and only stepped in after the cops did.

I know that is unkind, but I get help but think that at least an attempt to take action should have been taken sooner ----- then again I don't know what might have been done "behind the scenes" that we will never know about.

:(

Taking away an adult's rights to their own life is VERY hard to do. Britney's parents filed when she was under 5150 hold as well. Unless you are under a current 5150/5250/5270, any paperwork you file to take away someone's rights is almost always automatically thrown out of court. Even with a current psychiatric hold, it is still VERY hard. Otherwise, you could have fighting siblings/parents/strangers filing to take away someone's rights all the time.

As for blaming the parents for not "doing enough", being blamed for not "controlling" their kid's behavior is why so often parents suffer in silence. Amanda is an adult. Her parents have no legal action to take as long as Amanda is not a danger to herself or someone else. Yes - she did have to set herself, her dog and property on fire before any judge would step in. I have no doubt her parents have been living a nightmare for years.

Also, I think her move to NYC made it harder for her parents to get the conservatorship in California. I think she knew that when she moved there. Her move back to Cali was another piece of the puzzle that the parents needed in order to take the steps that they have.

I don't have experience with mental illness but I have an uncle that became an alcoholic who refused any form of treatment. My aunt saw an attorney to try to get him the help he needed and the attorney said there was nothing that could be done legally to force him to go into a rehab center. He was occasionally violent (at home) and had been put in jail several times. The police were called many times, but it just wasn't enough. Eventually, and with great sadness, she had enough and had to divorce the love of her life who had become a shell of the person she married thirty years prior. But it is another example of how hard it is to take someone's rights away.

I heard on the radio this morning that the Sam guy that was hanging out with Britney before she went crazy has been hanging around Amanda. Things that make you go hmmmmm.

The detail being released from inside that facility she is being evaluated at is interesting because it could play into the whole narrative that she is faking this and she is the one leaking it. What a mess, either way!

I am glad she is getting the help that she needs. I hope the parents are now able to do the things that needs to be done. I can only imagine how very hard it has been on them to watch her spin out of control with no real power to help her.

I also remember reading that they (her parents) would fly out to see her and she would get wind of it, and fly somewhere else to avoid them. A couple times of that, and I'm sure her parents realized they could only do so much.

And yes, as Silliness pointed out Sam Lutfi has been hanging around Amanda lately, I think TMZ had an article or two about it but I didn't get to post it. Considering what a piece of shit he is, I'm sure he did more harm than good for her.

:(

Taking away an adult's rights to their own life is VERY hard to do. Britney's parents filed when she was under 5150 hold as well. Unless you are under a current 5150/5250/5270, any paperwork you file to take away someone's rights is almost always automatically thrown out of court. Even with a current psychiatric hold, it is still VERY hard. Otherwise, you could have fighting siblings/parents/strangers filing to take away someone's rights all the time.

As for blaming the parents for not "doing enough", being blamed for not "controlling" their kid's behavior is why so often parents suffer in silence. Amanda is an adult. Her parents have no legal action to take as long as Amanda is not a danger to herself or someone else. Yes - she did have to set herself, her dog and property on fire before any judge would step in. I have no doubt her parents have been living a nightmare for years.

Also, Britney's parents did not succeed at their first attempt at Conservatorship. It was not until she had pretty much held her son hostage and had police and paramedics take her away that the Conservatorship was granted. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...tage-drama.html

http://www.calregistry.com/resources/conservatorship.htm

http://www.monterey.army.mil/Legal/family_...rvatorship_.pdf

As I said I do not know what has gone on behind the scenes -- Based on repeated DUIs, off the wall tweets and instagrams, public behavior, etc. I think Amanda has demonstrated signs of mental illness for some time and it seems sad that it took herself lighting herself on fire (or Britney holding her son hostage") before the parents of either one of them could do anything.

No doubt you are correct and Amanda's parents have been at their wit's end for some time. Hopefully they will be able to get here the help she needs. As someone said above tho, getting a diagnosis and having her comply with treatment are two different things.

It seems I have read that patients will be compliant with meds etc for awhile, then because they are feeling so much better, they think they do not needs the meds and "fall of the wagon." :(

Edited by tyler