princess

Amanda Bynes

Amanda Bynes’ Parents Say She’s Homeless And Paranoid, Blew $1.2 Million

The actress fears she’s being watched by smoke detectors and devices in the dashboard of her car. Her parents say “she poses a substantial risk to herself.”

Amanda Bynes is extremely paranoid, has been using drugs, and has spent more than $1.2 million in a “very short amount of time,” her parents said Friday in a California court filing.

Rick and Lynn Bynes, who are seeking a conservatorship over Amanda, described their daughter as “appearing to have a substance abuse problem” and being “extremely paranoid about being watched, including at our residence.”

According to the court papers, “she would cover smoke alarms with towels, tape windows shut and cover her car dashboard with cardboard and tape out of fear that cameras were watching her from inside these places.”

Bynes was involuntarily hospitalized earlier this week after authorities said she ignited a small blaze on a driveway in her hometown of Thousand Oaks, Calif., on Monday night. Her pants and dog may also have caught fire in the incident. She is currently under a two-week psychiatric hold at a hospital.

Image by AP

Bynes’ parents said they learned their daughter had returned to California from her New York City apartment two days before the incident when she told them she had “cabbed it.” They are unsure where she had been staying in the meantime. “We believe she is essentially homeless,” the filing stated.

Bynes had approximately $4 million in savings, her parents said, but had withdrawn $100,000 in cash in both June and July. The filing also shed light on some of the actress’ more disturbing recent behavior seen on Twitter.

“Amanda has profound issues with her body image and is obsessed with the idea that she (and others) are ‘ugly,’ her parents said. “She talks incessantly about cosmetic surgeries that she wants to have completed. We are concerned that the surgeries she wants to have are dangerous and detrimental to her health.”

The judge has scheduled a hearing on the issue for Aug. 9 and hopes to meet one-on-one with Bynes before making a decision.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/passantino/amanda-...aranoid-blew-12

Amanda Bynes

LOSES BID FOR FREEDOM

TMZ

Amanda Bynes was just shut down in her bid to leave the psychiatric hospital where she has been held against her will for more than a week ... TMZ has learned.

Amanda appeared before a judge in the psych ward, as her lawyer argued there was no legal basis to hold her for the two additional weeks ... sources familiar with the situation tell TMZ.

We broke the story ... Amanda was placed on a 5150 psychiatric hold 10 days ago after starting a fire in the driveway of a home near L.A. The hold lasted 3 days, and then doctors stepped in and got a judge to extend the hold for 2 additional weeks so they could properly diagnose her.

Our sources say Amanda's lawyer argued at today's hearing the actress was capable of caring for herself and she was not a danger to others. As we reported, Amanda is actually doing a lot better since doctors have started giving her a cocktail of meds. We're told there are clear signs Amanda is schizophrenic.

In the end the judge agreed with the doctors, that Amanda needed to stay in the hospital because her mental situation is still precarious. Amanda does not acknowledge she has a mental illness, and doctors believe there's more than a good chance she would not take the meds that have stabilized her if she's out on her own.

It typically takes 10 years from the date of diagnosis to the patient fully accepting they have the illness, knowing they will have it for the rest of their lives, and accepting they will have to manage it daily....

Amanda Bynes

TEMPORARY CONSERVATORSHIP GRANTED

Breaking News

TMZ

The judge in the Amanda Bynes case just granted a temporary conservatorship to her parents.

The judge based his decision in no small part on the findings of an investigator he appointed to evaluate Amanda's mental health.

As we first reported ... Amanda was not in court, because doctors at the psychiatric hospital got a 1-month extension on her psych hold ... because she's "gravely disabled" with mental illness.

Amanda's lawyer told the judge ... she's spoken with the actress several times and Amanda opposes the conservatorship, believing it's not necessary.

The conservatorship not only covers Amanda's personal well-being, it gives her mom the ability to manage her finances. Amanda's $4 million savings have been rapidly depleted, though it's unclear what she's been spending money on. The judge cautioned the parents not to make any significant deals without consulting with Amanda's lawyer.

The judge said he'd like to have some face-to-face time with Amanda, so he can make a firsthand evaluation.

The temporary conservatorship will last until Sept. 30. At that time the judge will hold a formal hearing on whether to make it permanent.

Is it any easier to get an adult committed in New York than it is in CA??

I just know in CA it is a bitch. It's hard enough getting them detained under 5150, which is 3 days only. Yes, three days. Then if they don't pass the psych tests (bipolars especially are VERY good at faking people out on psych tests, typically they have very high IQs and are very charming) and you're lucky then you can keep them under 5250, which is an additional 14 days. At that point, if you are lucky enough to even get to this point, they typically end up getting released. Although sometimes it is extended to 5270, which is another 30 days on top of that. So best case, 47 days committed - after that they can leave, or stay on their own free will. I hear NY and other states are similar although the details vary.

So even if she is committed, unless she decides herself to get long-term treatment, it's just a band-aid fix for the current crisis. And often, they won't speak to their families and friends after getting committed (and if you could only get 3 days, they are still super :angry3: ) so things just spiral out of control again that much faster. It is a horrible cycle, even harder to watch it and know there isn't much you can do until they decide themselves to change the pattern. Best you can do is get out of the way, don't provide $$ or in any other way enable, and let them hit rock bottom. :(

So they extended Amanda's hold to a 5270. I am impressed, that is hard to do.

So she's either a super duper actress if she is faking this, and/or she's having a severe mental health episode that at least in part manifested a public display of destruction to herself and others. Wow. I hope she's able to accept treatment and get better (10 years to get better once diagnosed? Wow, again)

I'm glad about the conservatorship - am I cynical to believe it's more about her health than her money?

I'm glad about the conservatorship - am I cynical to believe it's more about her health than her money?

Funny, I was thinking it would be cynical to think this was the parents way to make a money grab -- I think it is about her health.

So she's either a super duper actress if she is faking this, and/or she's having a severe mental health episode that at least in part manifested a public display of destruction to herself and others. Wow. I hope she's able to accept treatment and get better (10 years to get better once diagnosed? Wow, again)

I agree that it's about her health - her parents are not out for a money grab. I also don't think she is faking this (per a BI that came out). It is really hard to fake out professionals (I blame movies for making it seem easy), especially for long periods of time. On the flip side, I've seen someone that was having a VERY serious episode fake out people into believing they are okay, but only for about 30 minute periods before they can't maintain it any more.

As for the 10 year from diagnosis to maintaining a healthy lifestyle, I should clarify - this is in general, obviously everyone is different but this is the norm IMO. For the first 10 years they flip back and forth - they maintain meds for a while and live normal life, then think "I must be okay" and stop taking meds so slip back into the same cycle. Or "friends" tell them they seem okay, so live a holistic life and don't give the docs your $$ and get off the meds!" - so they do, and downward spiral again. (Would you tell someone to get off their heart medication or birth control? Then why the hell do people think it's okay to tell others to get off their mood medications?!?! Grr....) Or they have a normal life for a few years and think "It must have been a fluke, I was misdiagnosed, it's not forever" so they slip back, etc. Many flip back and forth in their minds if they really are ill, but DO keep up the meds "just in case", but they don't believe it fully so they drink (big no-no with this class of meds), or don't keep a strict sleep schedule so even on meds they are off balance, etc. Keep in mind, with mental illness there is not a blood test they can take to see if they have a disorder, it is open to interpretation by the doctor (and obviously patients don't remember facts correctly to tell their docs). Sometimes a patient will get several doctors and maintain their mood for a few appointments with one particular doctor, so they can tell the other doctor "but this other doc says I'm not mentally ill, so there!". And everyone knows about patients prescription shopping, which only makes symptoms that much worse. It takes about 10 years for someone to fully accept the diagnosis, accept it is a lifetime thing, find the right combo of meds, stay on meds and maintain a scheduled lifestyle that keeps the illness stabilized.

What is interesting is that with bipolar (I can't remember about others) the illness is degenerative (increases over time), but most patients actually live a MUCH more stable life the older they get because they have learned to manage the illness so much better even though the actual illness itself is worse than when they are younger.

Wow, I'll shut up now :D

Off topic, but for those who are interested, I just read a fascinating book called Falling into the Fire, by Christine Montross. She's a psychiatrist and writes about treating a variety of patients over the years. At one point in the book she discusses those who intentionally try to fake out doctors, and the tests they have to weed such people out.

She also writes about how difficult it can be to hold patients even when they need serious help, etc. etc. In all, an excellent book for anyone interested in psychology.

Edited by fykeylicious

Sorry - I mis-typed my response - I DO hope it's about her health and want to believe that's why her parents went after conservatorship - I DON'T want to be cynical and think it's about money.

Princess -I'm fascinated by your input - please continue! I work with faculty in global mental health and love learning things (SOOOOOO different in other countries - talk about a difficult field to be in!)

I'm curious on your take here, Princess:

Amanda Bynes Judge Extends Her Stay For Up to a Year

I've never heard of this happening, however my boss specializes in women with addiction/trauma/mental health issues in criminal justice system, so the circumstances are a bit different. I'm guessing that this ruling is because of the conservatorship that is now in place. I'm not surprised the doctors wanted to hold her longer than the 47 days. Think about it, if you just heard someone quit smoking less than 2 months ago, do you think there isn't a good chance they'll back slide? Same with mental illness treatment.

They are likely still getting the med mix right for long-term care. A drug like Zyprexa is awesome for getting someone who is really whacked out* level again** within 24 hours so they can have a real conversation for assessment purposes (the stories that came out about Amanda right after she was admitted match up to this), but it isn't useful for long-term maintenance for many people. The med mix will be tweaked for years to come, but the initial mix (both which drugs, how all the drugs mix with each other, and the amount of each) generally takes a while to get right. And some of the side effects can be worse than the illness! As most people know, patients often don't like taking meds, so compliance is always an issue.

While she prob won't be in-patient for a full year (although it could happen if she doesn't get on board with some treatment, and professionals know when they are being lied to!), I'm guessing when she is released it will be under heavy out-patient monitoring. The "year" the judge ordered is just to be sure Amanda has some accountability that isn't her own mother. Some places require the patient to participate in their program the same as a full time 9 - 5, five day a week job. Gets the patient use to working hours, gives them a stable routine (super important), a good curriculum includes life skills building techniques that are actually useful, keeps them under close watch by professionals, yet gives the patient a sense of normalcy and routine. They get to go home at night like everyone else with a job.

With Amanda, I would assume she would actually go into a sober house situation, not live with her mother like the TMZ story suggests. To me, that comment sounds like it came from the mother, not a professional. While the parent's intentions are good to have their sick kid come back to live with them under grown-up rules, it often does not work out. If for no other reason, it puts waaaay too much day-to-day stress on the parent - they have no "safe" place to decompress when their ill child is living with them. Not to mention that it does nothing to build the self-confidence and life-skills of the patient. Plus sober living places have roommates, and feedback from your peers is waaaay more impactful than what your parents tell you.

Whatever story that comes out - even if from a reliable source repeating word-for-word what a doctor told them - is never set in stone. Also, caretakers often unconsciously zero in and expand on one comment (Amanda could move back home with Mom eventually) made during an open discussion of treatment options and ignore/downplay the rest. The thing with mental illness treatment is that everything is fluid.

* I don't use that term in a derogatory way, just shorthand

** you'll notice treatment professionals don't like to use the word "normal", lol

Amanda Bynes

She's Mentally Unfit

To Stand Trial

TMZ

Amanda Bynes is mentally unfit to stand trial ... this according to her lawyer in her DUI case ... TMZ has learned.

Amanda was supposed to appear in court today for her DUI arrest in West Hollywood back in April, 2012. Amanda's lawyer, Rich Hutton, told the judge Amanda did not have the mental capacity to understand the nature of the legal proceedings.

The judge apparently had concern ... and transferred the matter to the mental health court. The judge in that court will conduct a hearing to determine Amanda's mental competency.

Meanwhile, Amanda is getting long-term treatment after being placed under a conservatorship.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2fql8CFvo

Visit Fishwrapper: http://www.fishwrapper.com

The results of that test will be interesting.

I would say this is slam dunk if they produce her treatment records.

She might not be competent to stand trial now, but after treatment. . . . .?

TMZ

Amanda Bynes' mom is dropping her bid to get a permanent conservatorship, but not because she's turning her back on her very ill daughter ... it's because she already has the ammo she needs to protect her.

Amanda's mom was slated to go to court Monday to make the temporary conservatorship permanent. But here's the deal. Amanda is currently on an LPS hold -- translation, doctors have a tighter rein on Amanda than her mother would have with a conservatorship.

And there's a twist. Doctors have given Amanda's mom the power to make medical and financial decisions for her daughter under the LPS hold.

The mom has already exercised her power by getting Amanda admitted long term to UCLA Medical Center.

Bottom line. There's no need for a conservatorship anymore, so she's withdrawn her petition.

And finally, and sadly, we're told there has been no real improvement in Amanda's condition.

TMZ

Amanda Bynes' mom is dropping her bid to get a permanent conservatorship, but not because she's turning her back on her very ill daughter ... it's because she already has the ammo she needs to protect her.

Amanda's mom was slated to go to court Monday to make the temporary conservatorship permanent. But here's the deal. Amanda is currently on an LPS hold -- translation, doctors have a tighter rein on Amanda than her mother would have with a conservatorship.

And there's a twist. Doctors have given Amanda's mom the power to make medical and financial decisions for her daughter under the LPS hold.

The mom has already exercised her power by getting Amanda admitted long term to UCLA Medical Center.

Bottom line. There's no need for a conservatorship anymore, so she's withdrawn her petition.

And finally, and sadly, we're told there has been no real improvement in Amanda's condition.

Wow, LPS conservatorships are serious business. What a downfall for Amanda.

I don't think you can consider an illness a "downfall" (its not like she voluntarily put a needle in her arm or coke up her nose)

Having said that, I think I know what you mean, it is sad that she went from working on a fairly steady basis to suffering an illness such that she will probably never work as an actress again and having to have her affaris handled by someone else.

On the bright side, Britney is managing to do okay, so who knows?

Amanda Bynes

COMPETENT

To Stand Trial

11/20/2013 12:04 PM PST

Exclusive

TMZ

Amanda Bynes is mentally capable of understanding the nature of the criminal charges she faces, and as a result the road is now clear for her to stand trial for DUI.

Amanda's case was in Mental Health Court this AM, and the judge read the court-ordered medical evaluation of the actress, and determined she is now competent to face the DUI charges.

Amanda's lawyer, Rich Hutton, did not object to the findings so the criminal case -- which was put on hold -- will now go forward.

Sources say the ruling will have NO impact on her conservatorship. Fact is ... even though Amanda is capable of understanding the nature of legal proceedings, she is nowhere close to being able to care for herself.

As for the DUI case ... no way will it go before a jury. It has plea bargain written all over it.

As we first reported ... Amanda has been diagnosed with Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

People.com is reporting that she has been released and is now living with her parents. I'm surprised, it will be interesting to see how long that arrangement lasts.

New York Judge Threatens Rehab Released Amanda Bynes With Bench Warrant For Missing Court

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 @ 11:05AM | By Alexis Tereszcuk - Entertainment Editor

RadarOnline

Amanda Bynes may be out of rehab but the troubled startlet was in more legal trouble on Thursday when she missed a court appearance in New York City and the judge seemed “irritated” about her absence.

The 27-year-old had a hearing about her alleged bong throwing incident but she did not appear in the Manhattan Criminal Court and Judge Diana Boyar was “visibly irritated” with the situation, according ot the New York Daily News.

“Where is the defendant?” Boyar testily queried of Bynes’ attorney, Gerald Shargel. “Is she still in the hospital?”

The judge said that Bynes must appear for the next hearing “or else a warrant will be ordered,” throwing the book at the former Nickelodeon star.

However, the prosecutor told the judge that for Thursday’s absence they didn’t feel extreme measures were necessary.

“Judge, we are not asking for a bench warrant.”

Bynes’ attorney spoke outside the courtroom about a potential deal that might happen.

“We’re just trying to achieve a fair and just disposition.”

TMZ

Amanda Bynes is wasting no time trying to rebuild her life after rehab ... and plans to hit the books at a private design school because she wants to become a fashion designer, TMZ has learned.

Sources close to Amanda tell us she's enrolled as a student at FIDM -- the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising -- registering under an alias for 2 classes at the Orange County campus.

As we reported ... Amanda was sprung from rehab in Malibu last week and released to her parents' care. She was being treated for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia.

We're told ... the people close to Amanda believe school will help ease her back into society by giving her some sort of structure for her life. She's taking a light class load -- by design -- and will be escorted to and from her classes.

We're also told ... the treatment that began in rehab will continue during the school year ... Amanda will juggle her classes with 4-times-a-week therapy sessions.

With the exception of moving in with her parents (and that may be a short-term thing before moving her into a sober living environment with roommates), they are doing all the right things to give Amanda a normal, stable, independent life. :)

With the exception of moving in with her parents (and that may be a short-term thing before moving her into a sober living environment with roommates), they are doing all the right things to give Amanda a normal, stable, independent life. smile.gif

I agree. I hope it works out for her.

With the exception of moving in with her parents (and that may be a short-term thing before moving her into a sober living environment with roommates), they are doing all the right things to give Amanda a normal, stable, independent life. smile.gif

I agree. I hope it works out for her.

Ditto - structure, therapy, presumably a drug treatment regimen - hope it works!

Posted Image

Amanda Bynes Steps Out in Los Angeles

By Sheila Cosgrove Baylis

12/23/2013 at 02:15 PM EST

people.com

Amanda Bynes is looking happier and healthier this holiday season since completing four months of inpatient treatment at a Malibu rehabilitation facility.

The actress, 27, shopped in Los Angeles on Sunday, wearing a floral sweatshirt with skinny jeans and sneakers, and topping off the ensemble with pretty golden curls.

Bynes was forcibly hospitalized in July after starting a small fire on a household driveway in Thousand Oaks, Calif.

The former Nickelodeon starlet is continuing to recover at her parents' home.

"Amanda and her entire family would like to thank everyone who's contacted them with good thoughts and wishes for Amanda's recovery," family attorney Tamar Arminak told PEOPLE exclusively. "Amanda has completed her inpatient rehabilitation and she's feeling better every day."

Arminak went on to say that Bynes is considering going to college to major in fashion design.

"She's mentioned before she's interested in creating a clothing line," Arminak said.

For the first 10 years they flip back and forth - they maintain meds for a while and live normal life, then think "I must be okay" and stop taking meds so slip back into the same cycle. Or "friends" tell them they seem okay, so live a holistic life and don't give the docs your $$ and get off the meds!" - so they do, and downward spiral again. (Would you tell someone to get off their heart medication or birth control? Then why the hell do people think it's okay to tell others to get off their mood medications?!?! Grr....) Or they have a normal life for a few years and think "It must have been a fluke, I was misdiagnosed, it's not forever" so they slip back, etc.

Also, caretakers often unconsciously zero in and expand on one comment (Amanda could move back home with Mom eventually) made during an open discussion of treatment options and ignore/downplay the rest.

Amanda Bynes

Mom Takes Her Off Meds

Despite Evidence of Mental Illness

4/10/2014 1:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ

Amanda Bynes' mother just came out publicly and said her daughter does NOT suffer from Schizophrenia or bipolar disorder -- she says the only problem Amanda had was weed -- but multiple sources tell TMZ ... that's just NOT true.

Amanda's mom says all her her daughter's problems emanated from marijuana, and she is now weed-free, so Amanda is off ALL medications. Lynn Bynes says, "She has no mental illness whatsoever."

We made the rounds again Wednesday ... and everyone we spoke with stands firm -- Amanda does suffer from Schizophrenia and Bipolarity. Beyond our sources, there's documented proof of mental illness.

-- Amanda was placed on an LPS Hold last year after a judge heard evidence in the psychiatric hospital where she was being held. According to California law, someone can be placed on an LPS Hold only when the person remains "gravely disabled as the result of a mental disorder or impairment by chronic alcoholism." As we reported, doctors presented evidence of grave mental illness.

-- Amanda's mom won a temporary conservatorship after a court-appointed investigator determined Amanda was severely mentally ill. The judge granted the conservatorship order not too long after Amanda soaked her dog in gasoline and almost lit it on fire.

-- Amanda's lawyers in both California and New York won delays in her criminal cases based on mental illness.

-- Sources directly connected to Amanda and her treatment tell TMZ Amanda was given a complex Rx cocktail in a Ventura County psych hospital specifically for Schizophrenia.

-- Amanda spent weeks at the UCLA psych ward and at times was so incoherent she had to be restrained. Amanda left after she became freaked out by other patients.

-- Sources tell us, during Amanda's stay at a Ventura County psych hospital, she would tell doctors about the "Bad Amanda" and mimicked an exorcism and began biting herself.

-- Tamar Arminak, the celebrity lawyer who reps Amanda's mom, tells TMZ, "Amanda is now on zero medication." Her mother believes all the talk about Schizophrenia is false and that's why she took her off the meds. The mom says she's had no psychotic episodes in the last few months.

Sources connected to Amanda tell us they are alarmed and fearful.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/page/2/#ixzz2yYE9xFON