Hoyaheel

Christmas baking that ships well?

I love to cook but am not much of a baker. I love making Christmas cookies, but.....

My dad is currently working in Afghanistan (he's a civilian working for the Dept of Defense, in charge of strategic operations) I usually send him biscotti- he loves it, I have found a bunch of different combos (sweet and savory) and it ships really well because it's already hard!

He has requested home baked goodies for the holidays - he'll distribute to service members he works with, not just for him. I have a couple recipes I know I'll do - stollen biscotti, gingerbread biscotti, savory cranberry & thyme biscotti, sweet & spicy pecans....But none of my other "go to" Christmas recipes seem like they'll ship well (peanut blossoms - chocolate kisses will melt, etc)

Snickerdoodles might work.

So if anyone has experience with things that will ship well - please let me know!!!

(I plan to bake next weekend in the hopes that I *might* be able to get stuff delivered in time, but shipping can take 2-6 weeks, I never know)

Thanks!!

Pumpkin bread?? I know William Sonoma has a mix that is out of this world yummy. In fact, all of their food is yummy!!

English Toffee? You can make it on one sheet/cookie pan, flat; or you can break it into pieces. I think it would ship well because it's hard and since you break it off to eat anyway, if it cracks in shipping, it's still good. I'm sure no matter what you bake and ship, it will be appreciated. Godspeed your father to a safe return home.

I like the toffee idea because it would keep - I do worry about candy making because I have a couple of burned sugar episodes in my past ;-)

I love pumpkin bread but most recipes I make are too moist - would mold before arrival, I think. But I have been looking for ideas to use some hazelnut meal/flour I have, and a quick bread with pumpkin I think would be really really tasty!! I can make mini loaves and give as local gifts (also something I'm working on....)

I did find a couple other recipes to try - I have 6 ideas I'm going to try (though one is the very very easy sweet/spicy pecans so that almost doesn't count :-)

Thanks!!!

Anyone else getting into the holiday spirit in the kitchen? My husband is starting to ask for latkes (no, neither of us are Jewish....But we're both of German descent and he LOVES potato pancakes. I apparently didn't get the "potato" gene on either the German OR Irish side of my heritage, but I'll cook for him.....)

Let us know what ends up working in terms of shipping to your Dad. And also, tell him THANK YOU!!

I'm Polish. Love my potato pancakes too! For Thanksgiving, my cousin made home made polish sausage and sauerkraut - I thought I had died and gone to heaven :D Pierogies are another favorite of mine, couldn't believe the fist time I saw them for sale at Trader Joe's! Not the same as the home made ones, but perfect in a pinch!

Crappers, now I'm hungry. :D

I love pierogies!!! My mom lived in Pittsburgh for 10 years and every time we visited we would buy tons and stick them in the freezer (or she'd bring if she came to visit us) We're spending the long NYE weekend together - we should try making some - fillings are easy, but I don't know if she got a good dough recipe before she left PGH.

I've been on a strict diet since August. I've lost 40 lbs so far (20 more to go!) and Halloween, Thanksgiving were easy. But I know December is going to be really hard! Esp since I want pierogies now (and my diet is low carb, so, no.....)

I've been on a strict diet since August. I've lost 40 lbs so far (20 more to go!) and Halloween, Thanksgiving were easy. But I know December is going to be really hard! Esp since I want pierogies now (and my diet is low carb, so, no.....)

And congrats on the weight loss, 40 lbs is a lot!!

Speaking as a displaced Pittsburgher, bring on that dough recipe! Mrs. Ts is not the same. And congrats on the weight loss. I've lost 30 since August myself. Christmas in the 'Burgh is almost a lost cause on that front.

Please please please share the dough recipe if you can get one!!! I'll take favorite fillings too :-)

I can always freeze a few for splurges later on......

Solidarity on the weight loss front!!!

Edited by Hoyaheel

I sent out the request, hopefully someone will offer. I know some of them get very protective of their recipes <_<

Got my Dad's cousin in Baltimore checking with her Aunt (would that make the Aunt my great Aunt, once removed??). If she has it and gives it up, it will be good. Her generation is what we compare our polish dishes off of :D

Thanks!

(I've been getting recipes at family funerals the past few years. Is that morbid?)

I can relate!!

Got one, although not from my Great Aunt.....

I brush them with butter as I freeze them and then they are ready to fry when thawed and they do not stick together.

Notes from Previous years - Cheese is Farmers Cheese - Friendship Dairies Cheese. It is a little hard to find but the best by far. Ricotta is usually too soft. My friend makes hers and it is pretty good too.

1 64 oz jar kraut = 43 pierogi

2 lb. cheese - 55 pierogi

Pierogi (polish)

Sauerkraut filling:

1 can/jar sauerkraut - squeeze out juice and chop kraut

4 onions, chopped

Fry onions in a few tablespoons of Crisco until slightly brown. Remove ½ onions and save for serving on top. Add sauerkraut and fry about 20 minutes. Turn occasionally and add more Crisco if needed. Let stand until cool.

Cheese Filling:

1 ½ lb. Farmers cottage cheese ( dry type curd or ricotta can be used)

2 eggs or more

Salt

Potato filling:

Make a batch of well seasoned firm mashed potatoes. Some folks add cream cheese or cheddar cheese to make them really rich.

Dough - Bertha

4 cups flour 1 stick margarine

1 tsp. Salt 2 large eggs

½ cup milk to start but will need lots more to make a smooth easy to handle dough.

This can be mixed in a Kitchen aid with the dough hook and it works great. An alternate would be a large sized Food Processor with the dough blade. It of course can be done by hand too as our mothers did for years.

Knead (no kneading necessary if done by one of the above methods). Resting should be done regardless how it is mixed. Let rest 10 minutes covered. Roll out until fairly thin and cut into circles. Place filling in center and fold dough over using a floured fork on the edges to seal (before folding over you can wet the edges a little to help it stick better) Cook a few at a time in boiling water till they come to the top plus a little more 5 min?. Always boil the cheese pierogi last as they are the hardest to seal properly. Remove to rack to drain. I brush lightly with margarine or spray with PAM to keep them from sticking together. Can refrigerate or freeze at this point.

Just before serving fry and serve with chopped fried onions on the top.

Old fashioned less rich dough - harder to work with but excellent. Do not try this unless you have to – much harder to work with.

2 cups flour

1 egg

start with ¼ cup water. Add more as needed

Mix, add water as needed. Knead about 3 minutes. Dough should be easy to handle and soft. Let rest in bowl covered with damp towel. Roll out as for pie crust and use a small round bowl for pattern to cut out. Moisten edge with water to help seal. Cook the pierogi in boiling water about 10 minutes. Drain and arrange single layer on a cookie tray.

Another tip for shipping cookies or other baked goods is to load up the container with popcorn. The real kind, not styrofoam. It helps keep the cookies fresh and it's also edible.

I sent off 2 large flat rate post office boxes this morning - lots of foil was involved. Hopefully he'll get them pretty quickly - guess I'll see!

Thanks for the pierogie recipe - will be very fun to try!

Still haven't made pierogies - hopefully soon!

But the cookies were all well-loved - Dad shared with his department. Hopefully I'll see him next month and he can let me know his favorite ;-)