annabeast

Downton Abbey

I caught up when they did a Series 1 marathon right before Series 2 premiered - I loved 1, 2 was bleh but I watched them all. Then Masterpiece Classics (here, at least) started airing Upstairs Downstairs (2010 version) and I love it better ;-) But I'll still watch new Downton when it makes it to America. Heard a rumor today that Cousin Matthew might leave the show? And of course Dame Maggie is borderline as it is (and she's my favorite!)

I found Downton on my netflix. Loved it! I'm still waiting for them to release season 2 so I can watch several episodes in one night. I'm greedy that way.

Yes! Hooked on it, I've been watching since the start when season 1 was first available here in the US. I hate that the Dowager Countess won't be continuing on with the show, but I will still watch it regardless. Maggie Smith has been my favorite character, such snarky goodness! I'll bet that Shirley Maclaine will be a good addition to the cast, but I can't say I have much attachment to cousin Matthew. I'm hoping that Bates is freed sooner rather than later...he's such a decent character. Can't wait for January and season 3 :lol:

OH NO! I love Maggie Smith's character, Cousin Violet! And I haven't gotten to the episode where Matthew and Mary finally get together (although I see in previews that it happens), and I was so looking forward to a happy ending there, so I hope he isn't leaving. I'm also hoping that Edith gets to quit being the tragic character, I rather like her.

I am hooked also. Read a review and picked up the Season 1 DVD at the library. I loved it!!! Could not wait for the Season 2 DVD to be released, and now I am waiting on the Season 3 DVD release in January. I was so hooked, I picked up the entire Upstairs/Downstairs (1971-75) Series DVD's at my county library. Love...Love...Loved it!!!

I picked up the entire Upstairs/Downstairs (1971-75) Series DVD's at my county library. Love...Love...Loved it!!!

I'll have to see if I can find that. Have you seen the 2010 reboot of it?

I love Downton Abbey. I discovered season 1 on Netflix and blew through it, then watched season 2. I'm anxiously awaiting season 3 here.

And I'll be sad if Matthew leaves the show, because I want Mary and Matthew to have their happily ever after.

I picked up the entire Upstairs/Downstairs (1971-75) Series DVD's at my county library. Love...Love...Loved it!!!

I'll have to see if I can find that. Have you seen the 2010 reboot of it?

I'll have to watch that. I also keep hearing that if I like Downton Abbey, I'll like Brideshead Revisted.

ADORE Brideshead Revisited. But I loved the book first, and Anthony Andrews (forever the best Scarlet Pimpernel!!!) in the original miniseries.

Haven't seen the new Brideshead Revisited though.

Of course, if you like these sorts of period manner pieces, Gosford Park is a requirement (Julian Fellowes wrote it, same guy who created Downton Abbey) Anything that Julian Fellowes has done I've adored.

ADORE Brideshead Revisited. But I loved the book first, and Anthony Andrews (forever the best Scarlet Pimpernel!!!) in the original miniseries.

Of course, if you like these sorts of period manner pieces, Gosford Park is a requirement (Julian Fellowes wrote it, same guy who created Downton Abbey) Anything that Julian Fellowes has done I've adored.

Yep, I do like period pieces. Thanks for the tip! Haven't see Brideshead Revisited either, off to check Netflix to see if it's available.

Yep, I do like period pieces. Thanks for the tip! Haven't see Brideshead Revisited either, off to check Netflix to see if it's available.

And I'm going to look for Gosford Park too. I need stuff to download onto my Kindle for the plane trip to Europe coming up.

Well since we're on a roll, another fun show (not sure how available it would be) is Edwardian House from BBC. It was part of the rush of those shows about 10 years back (on both sides of the Pond) sending a family or group of people back to live in another era - in the US, we had Colonial House and Frontier House and probably some others - on PBS. BBC had Victorian House and Edwardian House that I can remember.

Can you tell what sorts of shows I like to watch???

Well since we're on a roll, another fun show (not sure how available it would be) is Edwardian House from BBC. It was part of the rush of those shows about 10 years back (on both sides of the Pond) sending a family or group of people back to live in another era - in the US, we had Colonial House and Frontier House and probably some others - on PBS. BBC had Victorian House and Edwardian House that I can remember.

Can you tell what sorts of shows I like to watch???

Now THAT sounds interesting! I hadn't even heard of that.

I do have to say, now that I'm almost done with season two, that I see what everyone is saying about the difference between the two seasons. I mean, really... some of the resoluations to the problems, such as poor Lavinia, are a bit harsh. Not to say that I don't still love it!

Now THAT sounds interesting! I hadn't even heard of that.

Looks like it was called Manor House in the UK, Edwardian House here. Not sure how much is available on dvd or digital these days.

http://www.datalounge.com/cgi-bin/iowa/aja...Thread,10964962

Hmm - PBS website shows the DVD (Manor House) so maybe Amazon or Netflix would have it to stream.

:lol: I'm a big fan of Downton Abbey and can't wait for Season 3. There is a book called Lady Almina, The Real Downton Abbey that the show is based on. Also, I love the new BBC PBS series Call the Midwife. Such quality programming on PBS.

Here's to hoping that they actually let Edith be HAPPY this season; I kind of like her. And how many episodes do we have to wait before Matthew bails out the Crawleys??

Here's to hoping that they actually let Edith be HAPPY this season; I kind of like her. And how many episodes do we have to wait before Matthew bails out the Crawleys??

I thought he didn't leave his contract until the end of the British series, which would be what we're seeing right now (not me, yet, I dvr'd and haven't watched yet,.....But I also heard some of the UK gossip while it was airing there, so.....)

I thought he didn't leave his contract until the end of the British series, which would be what we're seeing right now (not me, yet, I dvr'd and haven't watched yet,.....But I also heard some of the UK gossip while it was airing there, so.....)

Yes, and it will be interesting to see how they dispose of his character. Such a bummer... what will become of Mary? But I meant the money... oh, you haven't seen the episode, so I'll shut up now....

Edited by annabeast

I am so mad I can't watch this show! It's not On Demand, and I don't subscribe to netflix or hulu. And I'm not going to buy the seasons on DVD. I also tried to find it online but had no luck. I know I would love it, too.

So basically I just came into this thread to shake my virtual fist at all of you. Bah!

Yes, and it will be interesting to see how they dispose of his character. Such a bummer... what will become of Mary? But I meant the money... oh, you haven't seen the episode, so I'll shut up now....

Sorry, I read that really badly - bails out, not bails out ON......Words are important :unsure:

I am so mad I can't watch this show! It's not On Demand, and I don't subscribe to netflix or hulu. And I'm not going to buy the seasons on DVD. I also tried to find it online but had no luck. I know I would love it, too.

So basically I just came into this thread to shake my virtual fist at all of you. Bah!

Ah, Fykey. Someone sent me this link because I had to take my cat to the emergency vet right in the middle of the episode.... enjoy!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/watch-...on-3-episode-1/

Oh, just realized you may not have seen the first two seasons. If it is any consolation, it is free streaming if you are an Amazon Prime member. Along with HUNDREDS of other movies and shows, including Brideshead Revisited, The Tudors, etc.

Edited by annabeast

I need to start watching more stuff on Amazon Prime - we think we can watch longer stuff at home now (I live in the boonies and satellite is our fastest internet option but it's still not great for live streaming) I can do a half hour sitcom easily, and have done an hour long show a couple times - with stuttering on occasion.....

PS Hope your cat is ok!!!!

Edited by Hoyaheel

Can you squeeze TiVo into your budget? We have cable thru Comcast, so have access to OnDemand, but TiVo is hands down superior to OnDemand. You can even program it from your computer. PBS also has reruns at odd hours of the day and night and they have affiliate channels on cable, so if you watch PBS on channel 9 say, you can get the same programming on say, channel 189, at a different time. Oh! Another thought - maybe your public library has previous seasons on DVD you can check out.