MissuTam

Election Year 2016

I know the board wants me to upgrade again - may need to do that.  Can't seem how to edit topics anymore.  Grrr...

Technology has not been my friend lately.

• Sad 1

I know the press in DC has been pretty clear that there are almost no scenarios in which the returns will be released before the election. He’s been able to game the courts just enough to keep the window safe. 

• Sad 2

I can’t get there tonight, my son was diagnosed with Covid today and I’m dealing with getting him taken care of away at school, but I’ll sure as hell be at the Supreme Court tomorrow night. This just feels so huge.

• Sad 3

Thanks, Hoya. He’s ok so far. His only symptom is loss of smell. He lives in a house with 5 other friends and some of them have mild cold symptoms and loss of smell and taste but nothing more serious. They really don’t know how they got it because they’ve been basically on lockdown for a few weeks. Most of them are athletes, so we will most likely have them all see a cardiologist over the long winter/Thanksgiving break before they theoretically play in January. 

• Like 1

So sorry to hear that Dixie.  I've had a few friends that have caught it now with various degrees of symptoms.  What seems to be the worst for all of them is the stress and worry that goes along with it. :(

2 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I voted today! Still can't upload my photos though. Boo.

I tweeted it though - see if the link works?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EkdInzeWAAMbx1B?format=jpg&name=small

And your vote actually counts because you’re in a swing state. Yay. 

What is your sense of the senate race?  Cunningham is such an idiot. If he loses democrats will never forgive him because it will be his own fault. Having an affair during a close campaign. Ugh. 

Senate race is very tight based on all polls. More democrats are voting early - not sure what will happen come election day. Not too bad on mail-in ballots being rejected but one county is statistically MUCH higher than others - esp for african american ballots - but it's been publicized so hopefully fixed. Courts ruled AGAIN that you must allow redress for these rejections up through election day (ie they're provisional so if it's not accepted, go find out why and FIX at board of elections office....)

Tillis isn't well loved, so we'll see. Fingers crossed! SOOOOOOOO much money in that campaign - I think they broke records again, sadly. 

• Like 1

https://www.cbs17.com/news/your-local-election-hq/breaking-down-the-record-setting-numbers-on-day-1-of-one-stop-voting-in-nc/?fbclid=IwAR2IxGw0b4TwZWFC1-HRtg6UollXTGxQRNi-sW3XGltqiQxZayZbzfYbgA8

Some great data (and I always love a Tableau data visualization 😉 Democrats are a third of registered voters in NC but half of the early voting so far. My husband just said he heard that repugs were ahead in terms of voter registration but I haven't seen those data....

• Like 1

Here are the voting stats from 2016.  Anyone want to guess what they will be for 2021 election??

• Around 138 million Americans voted in the 2016 presidential election. From Business Insider.

• However, those 138 million Americans only make up 58.1% of our voting-eligible population (those American citizens over 18). From United States Elections Project.

Numbers are just sooooooo high now compared to 2016 at the same time. I really hope we get the best turnout ever, by a huge landslide....

• Like 1

Just some simple google searching and found some interesting info:

How many people have voted so far in 2020? This live map and state database will tell you

https://www.fastcompany.com/90565919/how-many-people-have-voted-so-far-in-2020-this-live-map-and-state-database-will-tell-you

(the actual map is at https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/index.html )

Gen Zers, Millennials and Gen Xers outvoted Boomers and older generations in 2016 election

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/07/31/gen-zers-millennials-and-gen-xers-outvoted-boomers-and-older-generations-in-2016-election/

Now, more than half of Americans are millennials or younger.  Will their size and activism impact the 2020 election?

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-avenue/2020/07/30/now-more-than-half-of-americans-are-millennials-or-younger/

(this site had some good data charts)

This is going to be a crazy election.  And Emperor Trump has indicated if he looses the election he will not step down without a fight.  I foresee rioting on the streets no matter who wins.  :kung-fu-panda:

• Like 2

2016 was a low turn-out election. In fact turn-out was at a 20 year low. In general, republicans win low turn-out elections. 2020 is looking to be a high turn-out election, which generally favors democrats. It would be an easy victory for Biden if it wasn’t for the disenfranchising electoral college. 

There are going to be protests no matter who wins, however, I’m more worried about the protesting if Trump loses. His supporters have shown more of a willingness to use guns and explosives. I still want Biden to win but it’s going to be scary if he does because Trump will not only refuse to stop the violence he’ll encourage it. 

Edited by witchkitten
  • Like 2

I feel like, for posterity’s sake, we should mention the Rudy Giuliani/Borat hotel room story. But I really don’t want to think about it. So how about we just agree to agree it happened and never mention it again!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Her pre/post nup says she doesn't have to be with him - she and Barron live in Potomac with her parents. First time I really remember the duplicate conspiracy was the hurricane, maybe?

Edited by Hoyaheel

I used the drop box at our Board of Elections office on Friday.  The Postal Service has been damaged by the Trump appointee. Do not rely on the mail if you are in a swing state.

• Like 3

Sorry, but I've got to share.  I didn't read either article, but notice the difference in headlines?

Famous equation to determine whether aliens exist now used for spread of COVID-19

The seven-term Drake equation is used to estimate the number of intelligent civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy. While humanity has yet to find any presence of ...
5 hours ago

Contagion Transmission Model: Estimating Risk of Airborne COVID-19 With Mask Usage, Social Distancing

The Contagion Airborne Transmission inequality model illustrates correlation between physical distancing and protection, the efficacy of face masks and the ...
16 hours ago

• Haha 1