Hoyaheel

Netflix

FINALLY started watching the Crown season 3 today!! I do adore Olivia Coleman (we just watched The Favourite this past weekend too - weird movie but amazing actresses!)

On 10/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, princess said:

Black Mirror is like the modern Twilight Zone.  Some of my favorites were "Nosedive", "USS Callister” and "White Bear".  Usually a big twist during each one.  Sometimes I can guess, but not always.

If you like Black Mirror, I think US Netflix now also has Inside No 9 - it’s a BBC anthology show that I love (I prefer it to Black Mirror).

It’s written by the two stars and has different guest stars in the cast every episode (mostly British though so not sure others would recognise LOL). The stories can really span the genres so if you don’t like the tone of one, you’ll get something different next time.

Theres a general consensus that two of the best episodes are A Quiet Night In and The Twelve Days of Christine (although I’m not sure either is my fave, it’s hard to pick a fave!).

FINALLY started watching the Crown season 3 today!! I do adore Olivia Coleman (we just watched The Favourite this past weekend too - weird movie but amazing actresses!)

I loved the Favourite but the ending was so weird, I was on a plane and thought maybe I’d had too much free booze for a mo. ? Olivia Colman is always great but I think Rachel Weisz was robbed for that movie, her perform was stunning and I have never been a huge fan. 

• Like 2

YES! I thought I hadn't recorded the entire movie or something. The ending  just.....ended. I totally could see why Olivia, Emma, AND Rachel were award-season frontrunners. I vaguely recall some reviews that their acting was incredible but the story was somewhat lacking and I totally agree now....

• Thanks 1

Enola Holmes comes out today on Netflix - very excited to watch (probably this weekend). I know I'll be singing "Enola Gay" by OMD the whole time. Can't help it. Not related at all but once it's in my brain, it sticks.....[that song used to play in the clubs when I lived in Belgium in 1992 - really weird to have a an anti-nuclear bomb dance song, but there you are - OMD also has a dance song about Tesla, so....]

On 9/23/2020 at 8:42 AM, Hoyaheel said:

Enola Holmes comes out today on Netflix - very excited to watch (probably this weekend). I know I'll be singing "Enola Gay" by OMD the whole time. Can't help it. Not related at all but once it's in my brain, it sticks.....[that song used to play in the clubs when I lived in Belgium in 1992 - really weird to have a an anti-nuclear bomb dance song, but there you are - OMD also has a dance song about Tesla, so....]

That’s funny because I have the same reaction every time I see that ad! It’s like an age quiz.

• Haha 1

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!! I texted one of my best friends who was in Belgium with me (actually because the song Ca Plane Pour Moi came on the alt channel I was listening to on the tv and I wanted to know if she remembered dancing to that and I drifted to OMD) and she said that her singing Enola Gay got her family to go up to DC to Udvar Hazy (the Smithsonian Air & Space museum extension out by Dulles airport) to see the real Enola Gay! I laughed and said when we went to see it, I couldn't stop singing that song and hoped I wasn't singing out loud in the museum.....

That's the sign of a good pop song, right? So damn catchy it's always ready to get stuck in your head!

I just finished a book (Age of Consent by Amanda Brainerd) in which one of the protagonists proclaims Blue Monday by New Order to be the best dance song ever. Not sure I agree but it's certainly up there.

The book was very weird for me - I lived a lot of that life (well, adjacent to that life, and a couple years younger) so I enjoyed it, and it was well written. But in the end, SUPER judgemental and that really bothered me.

I still have 2 (I think) episodes left in S3 but should be ready to start the new season next week. I have 5 days off (Wed- Sun) but pretty sure my husband won't be home that entire time - I'll have lots of opportunity to binge myself (this is a solo-watch for me - he'd probably enjoy but I started 2 seasons before we had access at home, so....)

I felt bad about taking so long to watch S3 until I started reading reviews for S4 and everyone was saying how bad S3 (and some said S2 as well) were.....

Edited by Hoyaheel

I still have not watched S4 of The Crown. Our data resets tomorrow so we've been binging this week. Right now, I'm watching and laughing so hard out loud at "Pretend It's a City"  on Netflix - Fran Lebovitz. Most of the reviews I've read say only New Yorkers of a certain age will like this. I'm not quite that certain age, and I'm not a New Yorker, but I love (and am familiar enough with) NYC of the 70s and 80s, and I love cranky people who make me laugh, so it's perfect!!!

Yes, maybe I'll watch the Crown next! There aren't a ton of shows I watch that hubs does not, or that I feel like starting a whole new series, even though I have so much saved on my lists..... 

On 9/25/2020 at 1:49 PM, Hoyaheel said:

the song Ca Plane Pour Moi came on the alt channel I was listening to on the tv and I wanted to know if she remembered dancing to that

HOLY HELL that song just played in the background of the Fran Lebovitz show!!!! I cannot escape it 😉