Sign in to follow this  
princess

GPS Trackers

My Dad has Azheimer's.  He also has a very young Russian wife who figured out I had a tracker on his phone and turned it off a few months ago.  She said if I need to reach him, I can ask her (she made it so only she can track him).  Yes there are several calls into Adult Protective Services against her, it's a lost cause.  So I'm shopping for another GPS tracker to put on his iPhone that she can't figure out (hopefully!).  I was using Life360 and loved that not only did it show me real-time where he was, but for an extra $3 a month I could see 30 days worth of history.  Plus I could add his usual locations so that on the report it shows "home", or "friend's house" or whatever.  And it was an app on my phone so that I didn't have to get to a desktop computer and log in anywhere.

Does anyone have an alternate tracker recommendation?  Preferably something that doesn't say "GPS tracker" in the name so she can't figure it out right away??

have you considered a tracker that isn't on his phone? Like maybe something that attaches to his car? 

Last year a close friend believed her husband was cheating on her -- we were looking into ways to track him ? I found many trackers that could be stuck somewhere in a car and then would connect to your phone that way. No app necessary for his phone. 

Not sure this would be helpful in your case but it's the only thing I can think of.

Good luck - this sounds like an awful situation :(

He doesn't drive.  The problem is that he goes for "walks" and gets lost.  But he does bring his phone with him. 

1 hour ago, princess said:

He doesn't drive.  The problem is that he goes for "walks" and gets lost.  But he does bring his phone with him. 

Hmm.....I found this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Tracker-Portable-tracking-Wireless-Children/dp/B07BHRNSBK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1535486602&sr=8-8&keywords=gps+tracker+spy

It's not highly rated (but for other products I've found that people often leave negative reviews and aren't using the  product properly) but it's small. Theoretically you could slip this in his wallet, assuming he always carries it with him. I just found this on amazon but I bet tech places might have something equally small/similar. 

Not sure of other, unobtrusive phone apps but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

The prob with most of the "clip onto him" ones is that I have to charge it.  Plus his wife will spot it and remove it.  That's why I want an app on his cell phone that runs in the background, but that she can't easily figure out by the name of the app.

Ok what about this --

What about an app like Map My Run or the Nike app? Those are fitness apps and as such don't have "tracking" in the title. I don't use them though so I don't know if they automatically track (it's possible you can toggle that in the settings) or if you have to manually go in and start a workout before it'll track.

I also found an app called Eveople -- that's an app that allows you to share your location. It's supposed to be so that your friends can locate you and hang out but seems like it could work.

I sure which she hadn't figured out Live360 - was perfect :(  I checked out some of the runner apps, but the ones I saw you have to turn on/off.  I'll keep hunting.  So far I'm looking at:

• FindMyFriends
  • Sygic Family Locator
  • GPSWOX

Think last option may be my best bet, but still hunting for options.

I was just thinking with all the parents tracking their kids, maybe there was a new one I didn't know about and that not showing up in google search results yet.

That sucks.  You could go with a mobile device management plan, like simpleMDM.  https://simplemdm.com/features/  

I'll think about other options this weekend and talk to my business team on Monday.  There might be something we aren't thinking of that she wouldn't see.  I know a few of the trackers can hide the app altogether as well, but they are pricey.

Or a family share Apple ID account so you could look in find my iPhone.  Just create him a new Apple ID and link it to yours, log him out of the old and into the new, and don't tell her.  She might not realize.

She sounds like a terrible person, btw.  

Edited by GovMarley
  • Like 1

I use the find my friends app included with the iPhone.   I track my kids and husband, and they have no idea when I track them.   They forget we have it.  No alerts etc on either phone (unless you set them up)

When I took my cheer squad to Disney, I used it there with all of them and it worked great!  

• Like 1