Sign in to follow this  
princess

Notre Dame fire

So sad.  Did see TMZ just posted this:

2:15 PM -- In what might be the best news possible, under the circumstances ... the Paris police chief just said Notre Dame's structure has been saved, and the fire stopped from spreading to the northern belfry. In fact, they say both towers are going to be safe.

One thing I read yesterday that I love and can't stop thinking about is that, as part of their safety/evacuation protocol (get the people, get the artwork, get the furniture, save the structure is the priority order, I believe) they have a FIREMAN PRIEST whose job it was to save the relic crown of thorns. I really want more details on that, please!!! Like, do they go to seminary every year and ask for volunteers to train as a fireman? I'm guessing it makes a lot more sense that way than asking firemen if they want to become celibate priests??!! 

One thing I love is that Americans looked over and said HEY, some billionaires have already pledged millions of Euros to rebuild Notre Dame. But no one has done a damn thing about the three black churches burned in hate crimes in Louisiana. So they started a gofundme that has already raised over a million dollars!!!!

• Like 3

I was very sad to see such a historic landmark burn. I felt the same when many of those historic landmarks were destroyed by bombs in Iraq war (both of them). I’m glad Notre Dame was saved and the damage can and will be repaired. That said, the Catholic Church is worth tens of billions of dollars. They should pay for the repairs (and perhaps the French government since it’s a tourist attraction). All of the donations should be given to people and organizations in need. I’m glad GoFundMe accounts were set up for the black churches that burned. I hate to be so cynical but I feel like everything is a reminder of how unequal our world is in terms of cultural importance and economics. 

Edited by witchkitten
  • Like 3