Sign in to follow this  
princess

Comic-Con San Diego

I'm working on renewing my "professional" status with Comic-Con, hence the update to the forum name.  :kung-fu-panda:

• Like 2

A new co-worker mentioned she had a trip to Joanne fabric over the weekend so I asked her if she was working on a project - yes - her ComicCon costume! She described it (a video game character I'm completely unfamiliar with, mainly because I know NOTHING about video games at all) but it sounds so cool. I love to see the photos & videos. I have other friends who live in San Diego and go most years -now with their 4 yr old daughter, and she gets to pick the family costumes. Papa, the graphic designer, creates most of the costumes. But I think Dad is pretty handy as well - there have been some great photos!

• Like 1

I have been going for years.  First time I went was late 90's when you could walk up and buy a ticket that day.  Reason I went the first year?  For a Buffy panel of course :D

I have a lot of friends that do artwork and other stuff in the industry.  My claim to fame is my best friend's husband does some of the artwork for Tony Hawk skateboards, some of his designs are even toys you can buy at Target - how cool is that? B)

They clued me in to the fact I could get "professional" status so guaranteed tixs to Comic-Con.  Granted my status is "Admin Pro" as support person (thru my real job), not "Creative Pro", so I have to buy my tixs and have to get all 4 days, so it gets a little expensive.  I'm going for "Creative Pro" this time, hence the forum name change as part of my paperwork.  Wish me luck!!

I don't dress up (I suck), but have a great time people watching, hitting "the floor" to shop, and seeing what my friends contributed.  I've had some super fun experiences over the years at Comic-Con.  One of my favs - my sister and I were having a cigarette (years ago, I quit!) out behind the autograph area and Corey Haim and Corey Feldman came out for a quick smoke break.  Was just the four of us chatting for about 5 mins (I think they approached us because they needed a light?), we played it totally cool and after they went back inside my sister and I freaked out.  Before the days of cell phones so we didn't get any photos :(

Was walking the floor and couldn't figure out why everyone was staring at me.  Turns out Jack Black was walking behind me, so everyone was staring at him, not me.  Really gave me the sense of what it would be like to be famous for a minute.  Someone asked Jack what he had bought (he was holding a bag) and he got all excited and said "check this out, it's really cool!" and pulled out whatever it was so the fan could see what he bought.

I hear a lot of celebs dress in costume so they can walk the floor without being bothered.  I've also seen some really awesome fan outfits that totally look like could be in a real movie.  One guy always dresses up like Silent Bob and just leans up against the wall.  When you say "Hi Bob!" he just nods at you :P  Got his photo one year, I'll share.

10353549_10203207111432044_4617876834897256685_n.jpg

• Like 3

Here are some photos of "the floor" so you can see how big and crazy it is.  You'll never see everything.  Some of the toys are hilarious!

10272561_10203207797849204_6561167016444055530_o.jpg

10363984_10203205392629075_6770812240953148377_n.jpg

11737890_10205642683199816_5627172757870373230_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember a couple years ago, a celeb I follow on twitter mentioned dressing up and going and to see if you could find him. (nope, no memory of who it was ;-)

My parents lived in Park City UT in the late 80s (then divorced, dad was in and out of Park City through the early aughts and mom lived in Salt Lake until the late 90s) I went to grad school in Salt Lake and lived with mom in the mid-90s. And went to Sundance. Back when it was truly indy, and locals got discounted movie tickets! Some fun celeb-spotting as well! [my two faves are Bob Redford, OF COURSE, and Dana Delaney....] But you could see super famous people skiing every year too. One year (in the late 80s) I was behind the unfucking believably hot Blair Underwood in line to pay at the cafeteria. Holy cow was he hot. Saw Ron Howard all the time. In retrospect, likely Bryce Dallas Howard as well because they skied as a family ;-)

Fun times. I don't see anyone famous now that I live in rural NC ;-)

• Like 1

My friend still works Sundance Festival every year.  She spends all her free time trying to see as many movies as possible.  She loves it, but says the celeb side of it has gotten really ugly with very entitled people.

• Like 1

Official 'Top Gun: Maverick' Trailer Features Aging Tom Cruise and Shirtless Volleyball

https://toofab.com/2019/07/18/official-top-gun-maverick-trailer-features-aging-tom-cruise-and-shirtless-volleyball/?fbclid=IwAR2hJ7J_rwTW76oLioGIN_HOD1vJou96cl6YxyFdpPVE8h3uXZMHOmsspUM

He made surprise appearance at CC.

Comic-Con Museum Charter Members and supporters,

Comic-Con International is officially cancelling the 2020 San Diego Comic-Con, marking the first time in 50 years that the show will not go on. It is the right thing to do. Comic-Con wants to do all we can to fight the spread of this virus and support workers who are on the front line, fighting this battle.

There will be better days ahead and we believe the Comic-Con Museum will play an important role in San Diego's recovery after COVID-19. We are a destination city and tourism is vital to our economy.  The development and opening of the Comic-Con Museum will act as a catalyst to reopen one of the world's best urban park's and a destination city known world-wide.

Some of the proposed Phase I renovations will shift, but this will not scale back the visitor experience. Our 2021 grand opening is still on track and you will soon see building plans that illustrate this transformation. To ensure we stay connected in this new reality, the Museum will introduce new and creative digital ways to bring the magic of Comic-Con to you all year-round.

We will redouble our efforts to regain momentum on opening this museum by 2021. And we can't wait to work with you to realize this vision. Better days are ahead.