Sign in to follow this  
princess

Online Streaming Services

I know the big ones:

• Netflix
  • Hulu
  • Amazon
  • Disney (coming soon)

I'm a fan of Netflix.  Haven't tried the others.

• Like 1

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 08/20 **#7**
A tech giant will enter the streaming wars in a few months. They have the most money to spend, and are not being shy about it. The record money they will spend on their upcoming featured show also locks out the streaming giant's hopes for not one, but two, of the iconic reboots they targeted. 

Google news says Apple will be entering the race.

yeah - this is apple and their new show with Reese Witherspoon, Jen Aniston, and Steve Carell - the Morning News, I think it's called?

Anyway, it's blocking reboots of Friends (which is never gonna happen, sorry people) and The Office (which I also don't see happening).

• Like 1

Here's How You Can Get Disney+ for $4 a Month

https://gizmodo.com/heres-how-you-can-get-disney-for-4-a-month-1837628680

There are still two and a half months before Disney launches its new streaming service, but if you are ready to commit to the platform, and Disney’s fan club, then you can get Disney+ for cheaper than Netflix and Hulu.

When Disney+ launches on November 12, it will cost $6.99 a month. For comparison, Netflix’s plans go for $9 to 16, and Hulu’s offerings cost between $6 and $12 each month.

But Disney is offering an opportunity to get the service for less, so long as you join its fan club, D23.

• Like 1

NBC Peacock is Comcast’s dive into the crazy streaming-video fray

Exclusive series, classic TV reboots, and Saved by the Bell with a possible new Zack.

Sam Machkovech - 9/17/2019, 9:34 AM

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/09/nbc-peacock-adds-to-streaming-glut-next-april-with-15000-hours-of-shows/

The streaming fragmentation war continues apace, and today's new contender comes from Comcast—specifically, its NBCUniversal subsidiary, which finally took the wraps off its NBC Peacock service on Tuesday after months of rumors.

The official site is currently scarce on details, but NBCUniversal has begun distributing a massive list of expected new and legacy series coming to Peacock when it launches in "April 2020." In all, NBCUniversal estimates "15,000 hours" of content on that day-one launch. No pricing information is yet attached.

To review: Peacock is just the latest to join the likes of existing "mainstream" services Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video, YouTube TV, and CBS All Access, as well as this November's Disney+ and Apple TV+ and next year's HBO Max. That doesn't even count the proliferation of "niche" streaming services ranging from the anime-focused Crunchyroll to the proudly pretentious Criterion.

So essentially we are in the process of fragmenting and shortly afterwards we will essentially be forced to recreate cable to deal with the massive numbers of subscription networks. ??‍♀️

I shared my Amazon Prime with my mom but she never used it so I rescinded ? My husband, on the other hand - I think he uses Prime free shipping more than I do (I use the music & video more). But he has only used the netflix once or twice (on his own - we've watched some together).

I have two teenagers, one away in college. We get our moneys worth on our Netflix, Prime and Hulu! If it were possible to burn out streaming, like you used to be able to wear out VHS tapes, no one could ever watch Gilmore Girls again until my daughter gives up on it.

• Haha 1

Your Guide to the Streaming Wars

As four new services hit the market between now and next spring, we break down which streaming outfits are worth your time and money

The Streaming Wars are here! The Streaming Wars are here!

Really, they’ve been here for years now, but the whole mess has gone to another level recently, as the rest of the TV industry has ramped up its efforts to combat Netflix by… introducing their own versions of Netflix.

Apple TV+ launched on November 1st. Disney+ follows on November 12th, and NBC and WarnerMedia will launch new streaming services in the spring. The days when you could have only, say, a Netflix and a Hulu subscription and have access to the majority of interesting work being done in television are long over. Every media conglomerate wants to own their own content, and thus to force you to subscribe to their unique service to access that content. To keep up with it all, you’ll eventually be spending as much or more than you would be for the old-fashioned cable bundle. 

Before Disney+ turns on the lights, we thought it was a good time to check in with some of the significant existing services, as well as these newcomers, to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of each — and whether they might be worth adding another monthly expense to your long list of subscriptions.

Netflix

Cost: $8.99/month (no HD, only one device at a time), $12.99/month (HD, two devices at a time), $15.99/month (Ultra HD, four devices at a time)

In a nutshell: More original series than anyone else — and some of them are actually excellent.

Prime Video

Cost: Comes with an Amazon Prime subscription, which costs either $119/year (averaging out to $9.92/month), or $12.99/month if you don’t want to pay the annual fee

In a nutshell: You mainly care about the free shipping, but this is a

Hulu

Cost: $5.99/month (ad-supported), $11.99/month (no ads), $44.99/month (ad-supported, but with access to live TV), $50.99/month (no ads, with access to live TV)

In a nutshell: A fantastic library of past TV shows, plus easy access to a lot of what’s current. Plus, FX!

CBS All Access

Cost: $5.99/month (ad-supported), $9.99/month (ad-free)

In a nutshell: Star Trek, Star Trek, and more Star Trek. Plus a few other things.

Apple TV+

Cost: $4.99/month (free for a year if you buy a new Apple phone, tablet, or computer)

In a nutshell: You get what you pay for — which ain’t much.

Disney+ (Launches November 12th)

Cost: $6.99/month, or $69.99/year (averages out to $5.83/month)

In a nutshell: Your childhood, streamed daily.

Peacock (Launches April 2020)

Cost: Unclear, though it will be free (and ad-supported) to at least some cable subscribers

In a nutshell: Your favorite NBC-owned content, exclusively! Eventually!

HBO Max (Launches May 2020)

Cost: $14.99/month; will be a free add-on for (some? all?) HBO cable subscribers

In a nutshell: Tony Soprano and Phoebe Buffay, together at last!

Full story:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/guide-streaming-services-apple-disney-peacock-hbo-max-907812/

Just now, princess said:

Hulu

Cost: $5.99/month (ad-supported), $11.99/month (no ads), $44.99/month (ad-supported, but with access to live TV), $50.99/month (no ads, with access to live TV)

In a nutshell: A fantastic library of past TV shows, plus easy access to a lot of what’s current. Plus, FX!

So this may be my option to finally cut the cord with cable.  However I think Hulu is streaming service, so while I would get regular TV it would all be streamed over internet, but wires in the wall like cable - right?

We've got CBS All Access - primarily for sports purposes, though Maxiedad has also been enjoying the Star Trek offerings quite a bit.  It's a fantastic way of avoiding the $300 for NFL Sunday Ticket if your rooting interests are for a non local AFC team and you're strategic in what you use for GPS coordinates when you set it up.  Or so I've heard.  ;)

I heard that Parks and Recreation did a reunion show a few months ago.  I totally missed it.  How do I watch it?!?!  I think I'll have to sign up for some sort of paid service :(

I think it aired on NBC so was "free". Imagine it will be on NBC's streamer - Peacock. Which is supposed to have a "free with ads" version, I think - but doesn't start streaming until July?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, princess said:

I heard that Parks and Recreation did a reunion show a few months ago.  I totally missed it.  How do I watch it?!?!  I think I'll have to sign up for some sort of paid service :(

It was set up like a zoom call so everyone could keep in touch during quarantine. It wasn’t a live action episode. It was also a fundraiser. It looks like it’s on Hulu but only if you have Hulu with Live TV. I still have it on my DVR. I wish I had a way to copy that for you!

For what it's worth:

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 06/29 **13**
The email exists. Apparently it is part of an antitrust investigation of some type. From what I understand it isn't really collusion because they were not controlling the market per se. The email is between the CEO of this streaming company and the really rich guy who made his wife really rich when he cheated on her. Oh, and he also has a little streaming thing going on too. The gist of the email is that the longer people are forced to stay home or not be allowed to gather inside movie theatres, the more likely they could bankrupt all movie theatres and force everyone to stream everything.

So, whomever is Netflix CEO (who just donated a ton of money to HBCUs) and Bezos?

FYI, MacKenzie Bezos (the rich ex-wife ;-) and Melinda Gates have teamed up to give a lot of money to women's equity through a project called Lever for Change - https://www.equalitycantwaitchallenge.org/)

*I went to high school with MacKenzie ;-) She's 2 yrs older so I didn't know her well, but lived on her dorm floor.....

• Like 1