Sign in to follow this  
princess

Coronavirus

Okay, I've been reading a lot online about this.  Trump gave a press conference today on it.  The comments were hilarious, my favorite:

We're going to build a big, beautiful dome and China is going to pay for it.

:alien_dance: I laughed so hard at that comment!

>> Washed out <<
Putting our powers to good use

For years now, Popbitch has been Britain's leading authority on which famous people don't wash their hands after using the loo – and never has there been a clearer moment where our expertise is required. So, in order to help stop the spread of coronavirus, these are the celebrities you need to keep an eye on until Covid-19 is contained.

SPOTTED SINK-DODGERS: Madonna, Nick Knowles, Rochelle Humes, Natalie Portman, Frank Skinner, Julian Assange, Tom Watson, Dominic Raab, Sadiq Khan, Christina Aguilera

FASTIDIOUS HAND-WASHERS: Robbie Williams, Sandi Toksvig, Simon Amstell, Al Gore

HIT-AND-MISS: Kay Burley (a little patchy with soap and water apparently, but very consistent with moisturiser)
  • Thanks 1

This has me thinking, what celeb will use Coronavirus to their PR advantage?  Kardashians for sure. :vomit2:

The allergy season is really ramped up in DC right now because it’s been so warm. So I’m a mess. Today I went to target to buy allergy medicine coincidentally, and I look like a hot mess. You would not imagine how much free space I had to walk around target.

• Haha 3

Yeah, I live in NC so I pretty much have SOME allergic reaction year-round, so every time I sniffle or cough (like I did when I voted on Tuesday!) I mutter "just allergies" and most people smile.....

• Haha 1

I'm in San Diego, California - looks like we have our fist confirmed case.    AT&T cell phone store employee. 

I have stocked up my cold meds (I need kind that is ok for blood pressure, so can't do the normal Nyquil stuff) and made sure my freezer has food so should I need to stay home for a few weeks I'm fine.  I always catch EVERYTHING that's going around, my immune system sucks (when my local Urgent Care sends me updates and invites me to open houses, you know I always get sick).  I'm mostly worried about exposing my elderly family members who I see often and are at high risk.  I did NOT tear through CostCo buying pallets of water and TP - does that make me a looser?    

I am seeing now that shelves are bare on stores for antibacterial wipes, TP & cold med stock seems to be lower than normal but still available.  People seem not to care at all, or going way overboard.  I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.

What's it like where you are?

• Like 1

I heard from a friend on Monday that Costco was out of toilet paper. I went on Tuesday and they were overstocked (took over an entire back wall!) so I got an extra pack, and I got some extra rice & bean, alcohol. Stuff we'll use anyway - I'm not getting weird prepper stuff I won't ever use. I'm in the middle (fluctuating back and forth on a regular basis - and I work in global health, with infectious disease docs ;-)

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 1

Y'all know I've been obsessed with Robert Smith since I was a tween, so how could I resist that meme when I saw it?? ❤️

• Like 1

Yes, I live in NC - have been here since 1998, plan is to stay here ;-) [I grew up in CT mostly, though, and have lived all around - born in IL, college in DC, grad school in UT, back to DC, then down to NC...]

• Like 1

San Diego update:  Very hard to find TP and wipes.  Most of the shelves are cleaned out, and what little is left is expensive (to be fair, I think already expensive brands are just last to sell now).  Sounds like in the next few weeks things will be really shutting down.  My sister works for San Diego County and apparently there will be a big announcement this week.  She is guessing employees will be working from home. 

• Like 1

My son comes home from school on Friday for spring break. I am suspecting he will not be going back to school after spring break but I’m not sure yet. I’m in DC and we have had a pretty significant amount of exposure here (for an example an Episcopal priest who now has it has been giving out communion to 500 parishioners for the last two weekends) although not a lot of cases yet. American University just told the kids they’re not coming back after spring break, at least not right away. I imagine more schools will follow suit. And I imagine schools like my sons, where there aren’t any cases, are worried About kids going home to places that do have it, and then bringing it back with them from vacation.

ETA: I know colleges in lots of other places have already made that call, but I think American is the first one in our area that has.

Edited by dixiedoodah

After Harvard made their announcement today, we're sort of expecting ours will make that decision as well. Students are on spring break right now. Not sure if they'd tell employees to stay home as well or not. 

My daughter just called from UCLA.  Exams are this week, but they are moving everything online and asking kids to stay home until April 10.  

She just found this out, so she wants to check in with her Professors and then I will need to change her flight.  I am hoping the airlines won’t give me a hard time

Edited by branchop
  • Like 2

Yep, we got the notice tonight - spring break extended through March 23 and don't come back to campus. Online courses after that. No travel or large gatherings for the rest of us at the University...

• Like 1

We got the call tonight too. Spring break starts Friday, an extra week off and then classes online beginning March 30 until it’s safe to go back.

• Like 1

I do medical editing and fact-checking. I am by no means an expert on virology, but I do understand a fair amount of data and read a lot of published studies. I have been studying this thing since early January. As long as the cases were limited to China, I kept my anxiety and paranoia to myself.

However, once it jumped to South Korea, I knew it was coming our way too, and with the current administration running things, I figured the situation would quickly turn into a clusterfuck. In early February I began planning for shortages and started stocking up on items we might need in the coming months. In mid-February I began sounding the alarm to my loved ones.

There were moments when I thought -- you're fucking nuts! You got people out there worried over nothing! But now I'm glad I said what I said. I wish more had listened.

I'm so over these tired-ass Facebook memes about how "it's just the flu" and "I survived ebola, y'all can miss me with this coronavirus shit" and a ton of other garbage that only serves to minimize a threat that has been exacerbated by an administration too focused on grifting rather than protecting its people.

In other news, about 3 years ago the Smithsonian ran a fascinating article discussing the spread of the 1918 flu and how the American government aided its spread by suppressing journalists and the medical community from warning people about it. Thankfully, we have the internet and social media, which will HOPEFULLY prevent the same thing from occurring today, but only if we learn from history's mistakes. 

Ok rant over -- wishing all of my beloved fanchitchatters good health :)

• Like 4

I do global health research ? Right there with you, fykey! I've been on the yo-yo spectrum of "oh shit this is gonna be bad" to "no worries, death rate won't be too high" and the past week+ my mantra has been FLATTEN THE CURVE which I've been screaming to everyone, because it's all about the infrastructure ?

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/flattening-curve-coronavirus/

• Like 3

Looks like a lot of us review research papers for work :D 

My favorite is the Coronavirus vs flu memes :rolleyes:  Ugh, they aren't using comparable numbers.  Not to mention CV seems to spread much easier than the flu.  But I think I'm preaching to the choir here. :)  Had dinner with my sister and her family last nite, mentioned that while the little kids aren't as likely to get it they are carrier monkeys and why they are shutting down schools (not to mention the parents that then go to the schools to pick up kids and spread it, etc.).  My 5 year old niece and 7 year old nephew then joke-argued over who got to be the carrier monkey.  :monkey:

Hey fykeylicious, next time your Spidey Senses flair up give us a heads up :banana:

• Like 3

As soon as they said coronavirus is not only airborne but also likely stays in the air after the infected person has left, I knew there was no way it wasn’t going to spread. That makes it more like measles than the flu and we all know how contagious measles is, well all of us except anti-vaxxers. The latest research says it stays in the air for up to three hours like measles. I don’t think it was ever going to be fully contained due to how contagious it is and the fact that most cases are “mild”. That said, this thing could have been slowed down had we not had an incompetent buffoon in the White House. We need widespread, affordable testing and sick pay for anyone that needs to be quarantined. There are disincentives for behaviors that would help prevent the spread, which is really scary. 

Edited by witchkitten
  • Like 4