Sign in to follow this  
princess

Coronavirus

Costco limits members to two cases of water daily.  DC has its first coronavirus pop-up shop.

Edited by MissuTam

I went to Costco at the beginning of last week - sign said no more than 5 cases of water per person. Went 4 days later (shopping for tv with husband) and sign said 2 cases of water. Went this Monday (to buy the tv ;-) and sign says "No more than 2 units of any product". I appreciate them doing what they can to limit hoarding and allow others access.

I really don't understand this hand sanitizer obsession. Are THAT MANY people away from sinks that often they can't use freaking soap? Soap works GREAT to kill this virus!!

• Like 1

Popbitch

Harvey Weinstein got a lucky break. 23 years in federal prison means he'll be moved out of Rikers Island: the facility from which NYC plans to source inmates to dig any mass graves required in the event of a deadly pandemic.

Mass graves?  Do we think it will get to that point?  :blink:

• Sad 1

Popbitch is full of interesting bits of info this week.

>> Hack attack <<
All hands to the pumps

Whenever there's any sort sort of global panic, the media is always accused of cynically fanning the flames just to muster up clicks – but that's not the case with Covid-19. It seems that journalists are genuinely concerned about it.

An email went around the Guardian earlier this week reminding employees that the hand-sanitiser dispensers they had installed around the building were for the use of everyone, not just the first few people who could manage to nick one.

In fairness to the Guardian though, they kept a lid on it longer than the Sun did. Things started getting all Lord Of The Flies at the Baby Shard last Thursday – with bosses having to reprimand hacks there for bringing in empty containers from home to drain the company's supply of hand gel.

1 hour ago, princess said:

Mass graves?  Do we think it will get to that point?  :blink:

Satellite images released today of football field length troughs  trenches dug in Iran. So, yes. Horribly, awfully, sadly - yes.

Edited by Hoyaheel
Not the right word
  • Sad 1

My daughter’s school in California will be out for two weeks starting Monday (could be longer). I’m sure my other daughter’s preschool will do the same. My kids are still little so it’s not a big deal in terms of missing material but I wonder how they’re going to handle it with the older kids. 

My kids school is closed today for cleaning and to allow the teachers time to prepare for virtual learning. In his message, the superintendent was hopeful schools would reopen on Monday, but I fully expect by the time Monday comes, schools will be closed for two weeks -- at least. 

My daughter is in kindergarten and my son is in second grade -- I could not care less whether they make up the work or not, but I agree older students don't have that luxury. If necessary I'm hoping the governor rescinds the 180-day requirement because if ever a time called for it, I believe that time is now.

My kids and I can hunker down, but my husband will continue to go to work for now. He's an electrician in a hospital, and if he doesn't work he doesn't get paid -- no paid sick days or days off. I'm trying to convince him that he may need to just eat the time -- we can dip into emergency funds if necessary, we are lucky we can do that -- I'm just so scared I don't know how else to feel.

I agree with dixiedoodah we all need to keep chatting! It will help us feel more connected to others while we practice our social distancing (haha) and will help us check in on one another too :)

• Like 1

We got a text message at 11:45 last night saying that our school District was closed today. They had already scheduled a day off on Monday to develop a distance learning plan. I’m guessing at this point we’re not going back for a while. My daughter is in 10th grade so it’s a little bit harder, but it’s hard for the seniors -prom is in three weeks. But their college applications are in and most of them are just waiting in final decisions. The hardest is for the juniors who have to do SATs, many of which are canceled this weekend, all of the sports are canceled for the season which is really hard on kids trying to get scholarships, having a really solid transcript for college applications next year, that kind of thing. The older kids are really worried about how this is going to impact the college situation. But it is what it is. The aerial photos of mass graves in Iran were pretty scary.

ETA: On the other hand... My son goes to West Virginia. There are no documented cases in the state of West Virginia but they’re sending everybody home today. Im about to set out on the drive now to go pick him up. Yesterday the brilliant college students decided to have a “we don’t know what’s happening from here on out” blowout block party.

Many many hundreds of students had a block party on an isolated street on campus and eventually the cops had to come in and pepper spray them to break up the crowd. I guess they figured they were relatively safe and wanted one last hurrah in case this was it for them. We have no idea if they’re going to go back, but if they do it would only be for a few weeks so it’s kind of weird. So, dumb college students who think they are immortal will be dumb college students who think they are they are immortal! Lets hope that big party doesn’t bite them in the ass later. I vacillate between being terrified and wanting to indulge them in one last bit of fun and naïveté. But that’s not flying once they get home. 

Edited by dixiedoodah

My grandmother is in a lock-down memory care facility.  She has been in skilled nursing the last few weeks (major UTI that was resistant to meds, then PT because she was having trouble walking).  She'll be 96 the end of this month.  She is getting moved back to her memory care facility soon and the memory care just told us that they are not having any visitors for the next 2 weeks.  She is huge high risk, I am happy they are taking this so seriously even if that means I can't visit for a while.

• Sad 1

All schools in Ohio are closed for at least 3 week. No baseball, basketball, hockey, or soccer.  No gathering of more then 100 people.  I think that is the number.  Went from 0 to 15 in 3 days

• Confused 1

Before the end of the day yesterday, our school district announced a closure until March 30. I think reopening so soon will be optimistic but who knows. I'm finding it hard to remain optimistic right now in general.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The good news about being a low-level prepper (for weather.emergencies!!) is that my house is fine to go for a couple weeks without any stocking up. And considering I was worried about covid-19 back in late Jan, I've been stocked for this quarantine since mid to late Feb and am not caught without rice, beans, or tp. Phew! 

Work hasn't told us to work from home yet, though I open my email expecting it every time!

• Like 1

Finally being an ex-girl scout and "always be prepared" has paid off!  However some of my friends/family have been caught unawares.  Went to my local Vons store and scored 2 packages of TP early this morning.  Can't tell you how many people I saw leaving that ignored the limit 2 request, I'm sure they sold out within hours of opening this morning.  Was told they had line outside waiting when they opened at 6 am (I was there about 7).  Have one friend coming by my house later today to pick up one package (family of 4 and they almost out!) but no one else asked for 2nd package yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fykeylicious said:

Before the end of the day yesterday, our school district announced a closure until March 30. I think reopening so soon will be optimistic but who knows. I'm finding it hard to remain optimistic right now in general.

I agree that the schools will be closed for longer. Just looking at the countries that were hit first. A lot of the kids are still out of school. I don’t know if I can survive being trapped in the house with my kids for that long. ?

• Like 1

I was at my local Wal-Mart today. That place may as well have been gutted like a fish. The bathroom tissue aisle was bone dry. All the bananas were gone and so were most of the hot dog and sandwich meat packs. The canned food aisle was also almost completely cleaned out.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Before going there, I was at another grocery that is in my area named Food City. A good deal of their bread was gone.

• Like 1

A teacher at one of the elementary schools in my neighborhood was just diagnosed with coronavirus. So she probably shops at my grocery store, gets gas at my gas station, eats at the restaurants I eat at. So we pretty much figure it’s in the wild in our neighborhood now. Our family is all home from school now and basically not leaving the house other than to go for walks by ourselves. We have a lot of food and won’t need to go to the grocery store for a while, So will just probably hang in the house. My kids are pissed because all of their friends are still hanging out and doing stuff together and we are being strict about it right now. Not a popular move. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dixiedoodah said:

A teacher at one of the elementary schools in my neighborhood was just diagnosed with coronavirus. So she probably shops at my grocery store, gets gas at my gas station, eats at the restaurants I eat at. So we pretty much figure it’s in the wild in our neighborhood now. Our family is all home from school now and basically not leaving the house other than to go for walks by ourselves. We have a lot of food and won’t need to go to the grocery store for a while, So will just probably hang in the house. My kids are pissed because all of their friends are still hanging out and doing stuff together and we are being strict about it right now. Not a popular move. 

yeah, and that's bullshit. That's why this shit burns through communities, because people think they're too important to follow recommendations and they don't take it seriously until it's far too late.

We have people here doing the same - playdates and get-togethers.....it's mind-blowing.

• Like 2

My mother is insisting this is just the flu, everyone is over reacting & it's hurting the economy.  :angry3:

• Sad 1