Sign in to follow this  
princess

Coronavirus

^^^ I second that. Sadly what people are wanting is something that may not ever be obtainable and that is complete and total security.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Two days after my 20th birthday in 2002, the car that I had at the time was hit by lightning while I was in it. Have I stayed home ever since the horror took place? No. Has the experience happened again? So far, no.

5 hours ago, princess said:

My mother is insisting this is just the flu, everyone is over reacting & it's hurting the economy.  :angry3:

My dad is the same. He pretty much pivots to whatever Fox is telling him to think now. And he’s 70+ with COPD, uses oxygen, and plenty of other crap. He also lives 250 miles away from me, but “luckily” is sickly enough that he doesn’t go out a great deal anyway so isn't putting himself out too much.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I was at  Walmart and Harris Teeter (think midscale grocery) today.   Lots of people lots of out of stock items.    

I have two appointments tomorrow - business related - in person.   I think those will be the last ones until this is over.   I work from home as a CPA and have the technology for my clients to submit everything electronically.  Husband will still have to work - he is an HVAC supplier branch manager. 

Both College daughters are now home, but I have to get one back out to UCLA to get her stuff because Friday they cancelled in person for the rest of the year.  If they had made this call two days earlier, she would have still been there ??‍♀️

We have a family plan as to what happens when one of us gets sick.   What room is quarantine room etc.   I think we are as ready as we can be.

I still plan to grocery shop weekly as normal.   But that is about it.

This is crazy!  

• Like 2

I am shocked to see that Amazon is experiencing great delays in shipping. I live in an area where same-day delivery is often possible. Now, I can't find a single item that I can get before the end of this week. I know they are experiencing uncommonly high demand and not a lack of workers -- although that, I fear, will change in the coming weeks. 

My husband (an electrician who works in a hospital) wasn't sure if he would be told to go home when he went into work today. Instead, he was told they are building temporary overflow structures in anticipation of a high number of COVID cases, so he will continue on for now (but thankfully outside, not in a high-traffic area).

I wish this would all go away.

OH OH - the guardian (uk) and le Monde (Paris) are reporting doctors are finding that ibuprofen may exacerbate COVID. If you get a fever and suspect you might have it -- do NOT take ibuprofen. Take Tylenol. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/14/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-aggravate-coronavirus-infection

• Like 4

I saw the initial reports that NSAIDS might exacerbate COVID19 around the same time I saw the statistic that 90% of those who come down with symptomatic COVID19 start with a HIGH FEVER. So, not good.

We don't take tylenol because alcohol + tylenol = bye-bye liver, so....We do have aspirin in the house - but aspirin is also an NSAID. It's just no one uses it as one anymore....

I'm still at work (though I kept checking my email like a kid waiting for a snow day over the weekend...) But my officemate isn't here, very few people in the office and we can maintain distance most of the time. Things change constantly - we'll see what happens. We just stopped research visits (I work in research) so that's fun....

PS Branchop - spouse and I fighting over who gets the master bedroom vs guest room if one of us gets sick ? He wants the master because of the big tv, I want the guest room because the guest bath is much smaller and easier to disinfect! But if he gets sick - does that mean I'm the one who has to clean the larger master bath??

I hope this is all an overreaction, but I very much fear it is not.

• Like 1

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan has ordered all restaurants, bars, movie theaters and gyms in the state to close effective 5 p.m. Monday.

1 hour ago, MissuTam said:

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan has ordered all restaurants, bars, movie theaters and gyms in the state to close effective 5 p.m. Monday.

I’m sure MissuTam knows this, but for non locals, 

DC is doing something less, but similar and one of the local restaurant/bar chains (mostly on Capitol Hill) released a statement saying they wouldn’t follow it. Their statement was so snotty, self serving , and irresponsible. Needless to say, a day and apparently a lot of death threats and boycotts by customers later, they are closing. Kind of like the guy who was complaining in the NYT about all of the supplies he hoarded and the Amazon wouldn’t allow him to price gouge. For as many people not taking this seriously, those who are will not take any bullshit!
However, we will not bow down to pressure from the Mayor’s Office or any group for that matter who covertly is attempting to shut us down. We fully support our employees and our patrons. It is not our burden to bear nor is it our staff’s burden to bear,"

• Haha 1

My county is one of the ones in California that everyone has been ordered to shelter in place for three weeks, which is one step below a Lockdown. We are not supposed to leave the house except when necessary (medical appointments, pharmacy, groceries, work, etc.). 

Edited by witchkitten
  • Thanks 1

San Diego shut down all bars.  Restaurants can only do delivery or take-out, no in-dinning.  Schools are closed.  All events 50 people or over are illegal, and any event 10 or more is strongly discouraged.  Everyone 65 and older told to stay home.  Everyone else strongly urged to stay home and work from home if at all possible.

• Sad 1

I emailed my mom to wish her happy anniversary, said I hope she & husband were home, safe & healthy & quarantined. She went out to freaking Quilt Club today. Yeah, that's essential.

Wait until she finds out she's disinvited from our house for Easter.....[yes, I am postponing that conversation....]

• Haha 2

One of my mom's good friends got tested yesterday.  Friend is very sick and feels awful. will get results tomorrow.  I think things just got real for my Mom and she will stop venturing out.

• Thanks 1

What's so especially infuriating is my mother is a nurse with 50 years experience working in hospitals with a graduate degree in public health. If anyone should be aware of the freaking precautions, risk & need, it would be her! But at some point, she started watching Fox News, and it literally could kill her.

I just read that a lot of people are "escaping" to rural areas to try to outrun the virus (did NO ONE read Decameron in college? Or Poe Masque of the Red Death?) Apparently one of the NC Outer Banks counties has put up road blocks, allowing only residents in (most have passes on their car because of hurricane restrictions). I read the same is happening in western NC, which is where my mom lives. (she lives in the mountains where lots of Floridians & Georgians have summer homes). So, great, there's an influx of people traveling and no one is self-quaranting.....

As some (?) of you may know, I am self employed CPA.   I am offering for you to drop off your stuff in my mailbox, I pick it up in yours or electronically submit it all.  And I still have people that want to meet in person.   

I am encouraging no contact at all.  But this is my first year pushing this out full time, so I cannot be choosy.  Luckily most of my longtime monthly clients and happy conversing through email and phone.  

Definitely a different way to do business.  Some people love the no in person, but most are struggling. 

• Like 2

If there is any positive to this pandemic, it just may be the ways that technology enables us as a society to rethink and retool the ways of the past.  Employers seeing that teleworking and flexible work schedules really do work when you've got the right people and tools in place.  Hard questions hopefully being asked about outrageous higher education costs for degrees that can in many cases be earned entirely from behind a keyboard.  Expanded access to the Internet in rural areas.  The possibilities are endless.

Like many of you, I've been struggling to deal with elderly parents who continue to go about their daily lives as if nothing has changed. I am no Pollyanna by any means but the desperate clinging to any ray of sunshine is about the only thing keeping me sane right now.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

What's so especially infuriating is my mother is a nurse with 50 years experience working in hospitals with a graduate degree in public health. If anyone should be aware of the freaking precautions, risk & need, it would be her! But at some point, she started watching Fox News, and it literally could kill her.

I just read that a lot of people are "escaping" to rural areas to try to outrun the virus (did NO ONE read Decameron in college? Or Poe Masque of the Red Death?) Apparently one of the NC Outer Banks counties has put up road blocks, allowing only residents in (most have passes on their car because of hurricane restrictions). I read the same is happening in western NC, which is where my mom lives. (she lives in the mountains where lots of Floridians & Georgians have summer homes). So, great, there's an influx of people traveling and no one is self-quaranting.....

sounds like what happened in Italy 

• Like 1

'Botched' Star Terry Dubrow Celebs Want Facelifts During Pandemic ...

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/18/dr-terry-dubrow-celebs-want-plastic-surgery-coronavirus-pandemic-warns-against-facelifts-botched-botox-filler/

The "Botched" star joined us on "TMZ Live" Wednesday and told us our hunch is correct ... Hollywood's biggest stars are using the outbreak as the perfect cover for some cosmetic work.

Dr. Dubrow says his Orange County practice is fielding tons of calls from huge movie stars and rich folks in Beverly Hills, where no one is allowed to get elective beauty treatments or cosmetic surgeries during the pandemic, and the flavor of the month is a facelift.

Movies are not filming, so it seems like the perfect time for celebs to go under the knife for a major overhaul ... but the doc says not so fast.

I wanted to briefly emerge from lurkdom to say I am really glad we have this group. It’s a nice connection in these odd times, and thus more than just silly celebrity chit chat, even to people like me who don’t post much. Thanks, Princess.

• Like 6

My mum has now started lying to me, saying she hasn’t gone out, forgetting that I get notified by her Ring doorbell and can see her go in and out. ?

We did at least talk her out of going to bingo on the bus today. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Although we all knew it was coming, we just got the official word that my son’s campus (WVU) is shutting down for the year. It’s his freshman year so while it’s not as bad as it is for seniors, he’s still pretty bummed.  Not to mention his birthday is Sunday and I’m sure they had plans that didn’t include being locked in with his 16 year old sister.

• Sad 1

I assumed everyone knew this link, but several people i have told were surprised.  Here is where I check for current numbers:

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

When you click on the country name, that data comes up.  If you click on the state circle, you get those stats.

I had to go out today because I had to pick up a prescription and will have to do so again next week because the government won’t let me fill that one until then (it’s a controlled substance). There were so many people out and about. Most were standing apart (I don’t know that they all achieved six feet but I think they were trying) but there was a baseball game at the baseball field and a bunch of kids playing at the park. When coronavirus hits my community it’s going to spread fast. 

ETA: Right after I posted this our mayor sent out an email asking people to only leave the house for essential needs. Our county has been ordered to shelter in place and so many people are not observing it. 

Edited by witchkitten