Sign in to follow this  
princess

Coronavirus

San Diego shut down the beaches last week because kids still gathering in groups having parties.  So now people can't exercise/walk the beach alone.  Bummer, but not unexpected.  On the other hand driving up PCH on Friday running a work errand it was beautiful seeing the beaches empty.  And kind of creepy.

Colorado has a stay-at-home order, but there were plenty of people fly fishing, at the campgrounds cooking out, and back-to-back cars on the hiking trails today. All ages, not being safe. It’s so weird - and so distressing - to see people ignoring commonsense guidance. Maybe they’re not seeing the stories out of Italy and Spain - I don’t know.

2 hours ago, dixiedoodah said:

Sorry to hear that, Holly. 

I know that large parts of the south are not taking this seriously. I wonder whether his type of event will help make them realize that not only is the virus real, but that it isn’t just big cities. Kind of like Hanks seemed to affect a lot of people earlier on.

Thank you. I don't know about all of the other parts of the south, but plenty of places have closed in my area, the schools, the mall, restaurants, etc. Things have been either rescheduled or cancelled completely. The sermons at my church have to be watched online. The gym where I workout is closed.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. Where do I stand on the matter? I have a foot in both fields. I understand completely why all of this is happening, but at the end of the day, only so much can be done. You can't scale back too much or you are only going to cheat yourself out on living your life. To me, the best thing to do is to just go forward as best as you can but cautiously. If you get sick with anything, just go to the doctor like a person is supposed to do anyway. Not to sound condescending in any way or like I think that I know everything because I have plenty of questions that I am still waiting on answers for, but to me, it is just common sense when dealing with every bad thing that can happen to a person.

We have a lake that’s in walking distance to my house. Like two city blocks. So we’ve been walking there as a family yo get some exercise. Last Friday it was so crowded you could barely walk. We left immediately. The county shut down the park, closed access to the parking lots. So now, instead of avoiding the clearly closed lot, people just park all over the streets and clog up the neighborhood to climb the fence and go into the park anyway. Ugh. 

• Sad 2

Doing better here - all symptoms gone except for the lingering cough. 

School here has been canceled since March 13, and, with the exception of 1) running to the drive-thru bank and 2) taking a scenic drive one bored Sunday, I haven't left the house since March 14. The homebody introvert in me is okay with it, but I wonder when even I will be able to crack.

My kids officially start virtual learning today, so wish me luck! 

• Like 3

Is anyone else just ticked off at how many people are not taking it seriously?  
I have friends having people over and joking about staying 6ft apart.  
The list of essential employees is ridiculous.  Just because you are doesn’t mean you should. And people think since they are essential the rules don’t apply to them? 

My husband, runs an HVAC supply wholesale store, and is essential.  We talked last night and he is going to start coming straight home and showering before talking to any of us.  

I am inexplicably considered essential (CPA), but have cut off physical contact or presence with all my clients.  Talking or emailing daily with them and still doing tax returns.  Clients are either dropping stuff off in my mailbox or submitting electronically.  I would go pick up, but only from front porch or mailbox. 

My two college age daughters (20,18) and I are at home except for grocery shopping - my youngest drives to the park  for a daily run.  She cannot run in neighborhood (she was almost kidnapped two years ago doing this - another story another day).

We are the exception.  People think we are being ridiculous.   I am scared of coming into contact with anyone - I have seasonal asthma and it’s the season.  

I live in a suburb of Charlotte, NC and am a skip and a jump from Hoya (that is Southern for not far ? - probably 3 hours)

I agree with Hoya, our Governor has been spot on.   I just wish our citizens were.

I am becoming judgy and bitter.  That  is not like me ?

Edited by branchop
  • Like 1

I appreciate that I am not in the US and therefore only get to see what presented on the news and via social media, but I am worried for the USA over the next few weeks and months. From the outside it doesn’t look as if precautions are being taken fast enough in at least some parts of the country . (I will not comment on your president’s tv ratings.) I am glad you are all staying as safe as possible! 

I think we are about to hit days of increasingly bad news here in the U.K., as deaths from infections before social distancing are about to come through. ☹️ 

• Sad 4

Wordsworth, you are seeing it correctly. I am so worried about what’s about to happen here. A friends father just died. Alone. No funeral. Two weeks shy of his 50th anniversary. This thing sucks. I don’t know the father but it’s sad for the family. Unfortunately, a whole lot of Americans take that “ Give me liberty or give me death“ think very seriously. A lot of people think it’s all hype. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yeah, my new morning routine is spraying a bleach solution on all the door handles & faucets after husband leaves for work....

My best friend's sister is in England - he husband and she now have presumably COVID19 - no testing - but like fykey, fingers crossed, not too terrible. 

1 hour ago, princess said:

I think a lot of people won't take this seriously until people they know start to die. :BangHead:

unfortunately, Princess, I think you are right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, princess said:

I think a lot of people won't take this seriously until people they know start to die. :BangHead:

A work colleague was still going to the gym and out for dinner most days before the order to close. Posting on FB over the weekend that his elderly father has had to go to hospital with COVID. He’s said it didn’t hit home until then. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, princess said:

You may be right. The sad thing in my opinion is that people may be running from something that no one can do any hiding from when germs are everywhere.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I live in SW  Ohio. My state is pretty much shut down and has been for two - three weeks.    I will be working from home until the end of April.  My Tony is essential as a maintenance supervisor.  But if he doesn't have to go to a property he is in his office here.  The Spring break Corona kid from Florida is from the next town over. Most people are listening to the rewueuests and i hope Ohio levels the curve soon.  I have to admit I am impressed with our Governor and his staff.  Never thought I would ever say that.  So far we have the following events here:

Wine with DeWine

Snacking with Acton

Beers with Beshear

Fun times

• Like 2

6 hours ago, James Otto Sweet Heart said:

The sad thing in my opinion is that people may be running from something that no one can do any hiding from when germs are everywhere.

The coronavirus germ can only survive if it finds a new host (person) to infect before it expires in the open air.  If we all stayed inside and didn't provide a new host for the virus to jump into, the virus would stop.

Anyone else suspect that NY is having so much trouble with it spreading because they have the best public transportation system?

• Like 1

Yes public transportation is a big problem, although from what I have seen lately, public transport in NYC is a ghost town. New Yorkers also eat out a lot - I remember seeing a photo of a packed NYC restaurant on like March 15th or something, and they were practically seated right on top of one another.

Remember that those in the hospital now were infected about 2.5 weeks ago (one week of incubation + one week of minor-ish symptoms at home + a move to the hospital after that) so hopefully as more and more stay inside, the curve will flatten -- it will just take some time to see the results.

I have a feeling the next couple of weeks will be really bad on a national level, so I think it's best for everyone to mentally prepare for that now. Hopefully those of us outside of metropolitan areas will not see what they will see. May, I think, should be better.

10 hours ago, princess said:

Anyone else suspect that NY is having so much trouble with it spreading because they have the best public transportation system?

One of our infectious disease docs who is leading the response at our university health system (Cam Wolfe) actually commented yesterday that he never thought he'd say it's a good thing that NC's public transportation system is so bad! [I'm paraphrasing - he was a little more diplomatic]

Modelling showing NC's peak to be around April 22. I haven't been out of the house since March 16 but thinking to do "one last" (for a long time) grocery run tomorrow. I think better now than in 2 weeks, and I can't wait a month for more groceries, so....Hard decisions! My husband has a water container he brings when he goes to his r/c flying field - so I'll bring water & soap & a towel to wash my hands after I load groceries into the car, then can wash after I put them away at home.....Still trying to decide if I'll wear a mask. On the fence on that -especially since we don't have very many masks (had them from husband's business/shop - not hoarding, I swear!) We don't have any grocery delivery services since I'm so rural (even driving to get there is not so quick....)

Rural areas - may be less spread, but MUCH WORSE health infrastructure. There are 100 counties in NC. I think 25 of them don't have any hospital at all, and another 25 don't have any ICU beds in the hospitals they have? Was on news last night but I can't remember the exact numbers. I know it's not good. But it's been that way a long time. Malpractice insurance, personnel costs and other costs make it too expensive to run rural hospitals....

10 hours ago, princess said:

The coronavirus germ can only survive if it finds a new host (person) to infect before it expires in the open air.  If we all stayed inside and didn't provide a new host for the virus to jump into, the virus would stop.

To me, the problem with staying inside is the fact that we all may not be able to do such a thing simultaneously and even if we could, how long should we stay where ever it is that we go to? How much time would be a sufficient enough amount?

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Have you seen the graphs and the information on "Flatten the curve"? Do you understand what that means? It means spreading out the progression of the disease so that all the really bad cases don't hit our hospitals at the same time. It's about protecting our health infrastructure because we do NOT have the capacity to treat 1 million-2 million cases at the same time. And we continue to stay at home to protect our healthcare providers and our hospital system until we have widespread testing so we KNOW who is infectious and we wait until we have a treatment that actually works and we wait for summer and hope the virus transmission falls in the warmer weather (no data to confirm that will be the case though) and we hope that our researchers have good treatments and maybe a vaccine or two in trial for next fall when we get another wave of infections.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, James Otto Sweet Heart said:

To me, the problem with staying inside is the fact that we all may not be able to do such a thing simultaneously and even if we could, how long should we stay where ever it is that we go to? How much time would be a sufficient enough amount?

It will take a period of several weeks for it to sufficiently slow the spread of the virus. Obviously, not everyone can stay inside all the time -- people have to run the the grocery (although that should be done only when absolutely necessary) and lots of essential persons are still required to work -- but those of us who can stay inside SHOULD continue to do so to slow down the spread.

While a lot of people WILL get it regardless -- there is no vaccine, no herd immunity, etc. -- the point of staying inside is to prevent everyone from getting it at the same time. If everyone gets it at the same time, hospitals will be overwhelmed. If everyone goes to the hospital at the same time, there won't be enough doctors, nurses, hospital beds, ventilators, medicine, etc. to go around.

However, if everyone stays inside as much as possible, those severe cases will appear more gradually, over a longer period of time. That's important so that hospitals are not overrun with the severely ill and dying. 

If you're looking for a time frame, I'm thinking most of April will be spent this way, at home. If people listen, and don't socialize or go places they don't need to go, these restrictions can hopefully be lifted some time in May. Otherwise, we could be hunkering down into well into June, and that's a bummer all around. 

• Like 3

^^^ May the Lord be with those who have no other choice but to keep going with whatever it is that they have to do in their lives. Trash in my area was picked up at 9 this morning. Sadly that is one of the many jobs that can't go undone.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

• Like 2

aaaaaaand I am sick again, my sore throat/headache returning last night. (Not allergies - I get the manic sneezing fits that require a box of tissues to fully resolve.) I'm not sure what's happening over here.

Also my children started virtual school on Monday and honestly I'd rather they not learn at all. Impossible for me to run two virtual classrooms while attempting to work from home myself. (I always work from home, so I'm used to it, but throwing in virtual learning is .... not fun.) Not a knock on the teachers -- I know they are doing the best they can with a shitty situation, as are we all.

I am glad March is over but fearful for what April will bring.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

"Like" of support, fykeylicious.  I hate the fact that you're sick again.  I also sympathize with how much of an adjustment the current reality is for everyone - especially those with school age kids.

:GroupHug:

• Like 3

Fykey - aw shit. I hope your symptoms stay mild and your children's school is pass/fail or no grades and they have a month or two to learn....and play and rest and relax and not have to do 8 hrs of online crap every day.

• Like 3