Sign in to follow this  
princess

Coronavirus

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 03/31 **8**
The celebrity cult can't get any celebrities through the door because they don't want to possibly die. That doesn't mean they aren't getting everyone else in the door in the areas where they can. The ranks are going to be pretty decimated in some States because of that ongoing need for dollars.

• Sad 1

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 03/31 **5**
The biggest shocker to emerge from everyone being forced to stay inside is going to be the marriage of this A- list celebrity/host and the A/A- list singer. By the end of the year, they will have split. They need distance to make it work and he has told friends he feels smothered right now.

15 minutes ago, princess said:

ENTERTAINMENT LAWYER 03/31 **5**
The biggest shocker to emerge from everyone being forced to stay inside is going to be the marriage of this A- list celebrity/host and the A/A- list singer. By the end of the year, they will have split. They need distance to make it work and he has told friends he feels smothered right now.

The only ones I can think of are John and Chrissy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, fykeylicious said:

aaaaaaand I am sick again, my sore throat/headache returning last night. (Not allergies - I get the manic sneezing fits that require a box of tissues to fully resolve.) I'm not sure what's happening over here.

Also my children started virtual school on Monday and honestly I'd rather they not learn at all. Impossible for me to run two virtual classrooms while attempting to work from home myself. (I always work from home, so I'm used to it, but throwing in virtual learning is .... not fun.) Not a knock on the teachers -- I know they are doing the best they can with a shitty situation, as are we all.

I am glad March is over but fearful for what April will bring.

Oh no. I hope you feel better soon. 
I hate distance learning. I have a three and five year old. My three year old’s preschool is trying to do Zoom lessons and thus far they have been a total disaster. She whines and cries the entire time. My older daughter sometimes does her work and other times she fights me. I could totally do this social distancing with no issue without kids. There were a couple years there where I didn’t have school, a job, or kids where I voluntarily sheltered in place with no pandemic. But shut in my very small house with two kids while trying to do distance learning is my worst nightmare. I love my kids, I really do, but I have never wanted to homeschool them or be a teacher for young kids, my own included. When people talk about social distancing like this for 12 to 18 months I burst into tears, sometimes quite literally. If they don’t start school in the late summer/fall I don’t know what I’ll do. They sure aren’t going to be at grade level when they go back and I’ll have to be committed to a mental institution. ?

• Like 1

OMG the thought of holding a zoom class with a bunch of friggin three-year-olds is MADNESS. Does she have ABC mouse? My school district gave us a code you could use to sign up for free - let her play on that and call it a day. I'm very pro technology, haha.

I'm thankful my second grader's teacher has reasonable expectations re: virtual learning. Most of his schoolwork is completed in an hour. (I know his teacher has a lot of family over in Italy so I imagine virtual learning is the last thing on her list of concerns right now.) 

My daughter, who is in half-day kindergarten, has so many lessons, videos, worksheets, etc. that at a certain point I have to stop, since I need my computer to do my work. And I don't have endless ink and paper to print out 20 pages of worksheets a day, especially when some of them are only identifying shapes. 

Our district is still keeping Spring Break on the schedule for April and honestly I've never needed it more ? 

• Like 2

I feel so bad for people with kids at home - esp young kids. Older kids you can at least (try to) reason with and they can be on their own/less supervision needed. 

My husband and I are super lucky - we like each other, we have a large enough house to be physically separate when we want, and we live in the middle of nowhere with ~7 acres, so we garden, walk up to get the mail and down to the pond to feed the fish etc. We have decent internet and we both still have jobs. Well, I have a job. He's self-employed and half the business is dead quiet (small manufacturing company that makes products for the rental market) The other business is rental properties - essential, so he still has to fix stuff that goes wrong - but probably not going to make much money in the near future since I'm betting most people can't pay their rent.....But we have health insurance and can afford groceries so we are grateful for our situation every damn day.

Boy, the pandemic certainly makes us philosophical, doesn't it?

• Like 2

Hoya, that sounds heavenly. I have never been more envious of people who don’t have kids or whose kids are adults. I’m at least lucky I don’t have an infant anymore. I had to formula feed and I couldn’t imagine having to worry about being able to feed my baby because people are panic buying formula causing artificial shortages. Also, at 3 and 5 my girls will play together for some period of time without trying to murder each other whereas they couldn’t play together at all when they were younger. 

Fykie, we do have ABC Mouse. My older daughter loves it but it was quite buggy the last time we tried using it. I think the servers were overloaded because of all the new users. I’m running a very play based homeschool. I feel guilty about the lack of academics but I try to remind myself that nearly all the research says school should be play based until second grade and in Scandinavian countries schools are play based until second grade and they score way ahead of American children on most academic measures and their children are emotionally better off. That’s what I tell myself anyways. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, witchkitten said:

Fykie, we do have ABC Mouse. My older daughter loves it but it was quite buggy the last time we tried using it. I think the servers were overloaded because of all the new users. I’m running a very play based homeschool. I feel guilty about the lack of academics but I try to remind myself that nearly all the research says school should be play based until second grade and in Scandinavian countries schools are play based until second grade and they score way ahead of American children on most academic measures and their children are emotionally better off. That’s what I tell myself anyways. 

Play-based learning IS learning! Don't worry about academics, especially at their ages. They're doing great :)

And yes, we are finding ABC Mouse to be very buggy too. My daughter can only access it early in the morning; otherwise, forget it.

At any rate, it's more important for them to feel safe and secure -- worrying about learning a bunch of stuff will only add to the stress.

One day at a time!

• Like 3

I guess we are all speechless.  US just about to hit $325k infected.

Fykey, how you feeling?

• Like 1

My 14 year old self almost passed out at the thought.

Duran Duran's John Taylor delivers hopeful message after recovering from COVID-19: ‘It isn't always a killer'

John Taylor onstage with Duran Duran in 2016. (Photo: Getty Images)

John Taylor onstage with Duran Duran in 2016. (Photo: Getty Images)

Duran Duran bassist John Taylor has revealed that he tested positive for the coronavirus “almost three weeks ago,” but he reassures fans that he is on the mend — and that his recovery is a hopeful example that COVID-19 “isn't always a killer.”

“Perhaps I am a particularly robust 59-year-old — I like to think I am — or was blessed with getting only a mild case of COVID 19 — but after a week or so of what I would describe as a ‘Turbo-charged Flu,’ I came out of it feeling okay,” Taylor posted on his iconic new wave band’s Facebook page Sunday evening. He added that he “didn't mind the quarantine,” as it gave him “the chance to really recover.”

“I am speaking out in answer to the enormous amount of fear being generated by the pandemic, some of it entirely justified, and my heart goes out to everyone who has had to deal with real loss and pain,” Taylor continued. “But I want to let you know that it isn't always a killer, and we can and will beat this thing.

“Sending love to all my homies and fans, in Italy particularly, the U.K. and the U.S. and everywhere in the world I have been lucky enough to visit on my travels with Duran Duran. Cannot wait to be back onstage again, sharing new music, love and joy. Stay safe, stay connected and get creative! Love, John.” 

While the coronavirus has tragically taken the lives of such music luminaries as country star Joe Diffie, Fountains of Wayne’s Adam Schlesinger, and jazz greats Wallace Roney and Ellis Marsalis Jr., other musicians have, like Taylor, thankfully been able to rebound. This weekend, pop diva P!nk revealed that she recently successfully battled the virus and will donate $1 million dollars to the healthcare system. Meanwhile, legendary rock chanteuse and muse Marianne Faithfull entered a London hospital this week after testing positive for COVID-19 and developing pneumonia, but she is said to be “stable and responding to treatment.”

• Like 1

I'm feeling a lot better, Princess - thank you for asking. I had two nights when coughing woke me out of a sound sleep -- it was scary but thankfully the worst of the coughing, knock on wood, appears to be over.

The bad news is my husband woke up sick today -- he's still been working and running to the store when necessary for us homebodies, and I'm trying not to worry about what he has.

The GREAT news is that, after one week of virtual learning, my kids are on spring break! THANK GOD!! I have a deadline on Friday so I really don't have time to do the jitterbug between two kids on computers ??

Hope everyone in ChitChat Land continues to be safe and healthy! 

• Like 6

The British Prime Minister, Boris Johnston, went into hospital last night with coronavirus and has tonight been transferred into intensive care as his condition has worsened. 

There’s a lot I could say about this but I will not. 

• Thanks 2

An update: my husband had a doctor's appointment via Zoom earlier this afternoon, and his doctor ordered a COVID test. Results in 7 days, although I suspect we'll likely know ourselves by then. Fingers crossed.

• Like 4

Fykey, glad he is being tested so at least you know for sure what you are dealing with. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fykeylicious said:

An update: my husband had a doctor's appointment via Zoom earlier this afternoon, and his doctor ordered a COVID test. Results in 7 days, although I suspect we'll likely know ourselves by then. Fingers crossed.

I'm glad you're feeling better and I'm glad they're testing him. I would have killed for a test when my two kids and I were sick. The lack of testing is one of our biggest issues in getting a handle on this thing. Please keep us updated.

• Like 2

My work has announced they are furloughing staff under the UK government scheme that provides 80% of pay to affected staff, so I am going to have a lot of time on my hands soon. Might actually have to start tidying up... 

Edited by Wordsworth
  • Haha 2

Yeah, other than bleaching the door handles every day (husband is 'essential" so he still leaves the house) I am not doing a lot of cleaning. Husband is doing a lot of projects around the house (right now he's out with the polesaw getting rid of vines on the edge of the woods/yard so he doesn't get hit on the head when he mows). 

• Thanks 1

My husband has so far jet-washed the patio, painted a wall and put up two new ceiling lights...

Edited by Wordsworth
  • Like 1