Sign in to follow this  
princess

Coronavirus

Ha - we pressure washed a couple of the front walls on Tuesday. I need to do a couple rugs (I have flokati rugs in our bedroom - no clue how to clean, we have had forever - so we thought we'd pressure wash this year and see if that works! They're 20 yrs old so....if it fails, it fails.) Wanted to do today but I'm on conference calls all afternoon. Maybe tomorrow. Going to have a front come through and then be cold again for the weekend, maybe rainy.

He re-screened the back porch (that was always on the spring plan). Brewed me a cider and himself an IPA (used to brew a lot, hadn't brewed in 2 years). We might fix the drywall tape (and subsequently paint) throughout the main level of the house, but that's a big step and we're not there yet....

For me, work is still dang busy and I can't even catch up on reading or netflix the way everyone else seems to be able to do.....

• Thanks 1

I hope this is true! So many things have been canceled - British Open, Ascot, Wimbledon, NHL, NBA. Broadway closed through June 7 now. No clue about baseball in US.

I've been working like crazy during the week, but have gotten some household projects done on the weekends.  I have been trying to order some shelves to install and paint from Home Depot, can't find on the website.  Tried for over an hour, can only find shelves for those modules that are laminate.  If I could walk into Home Depot I know right where they are, but can't find to save my life on the website so they will get delivered.  So frustrating!!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

I hope this is true! So many things have been canceled - British Open, Ascot, Wimbledon, NHL, NBA. Broadway closed through June 7 now. No clue about baseball in US.

I believe it is, I know someone who works in insurance and it’s a big story in the industry apparently! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

Ha - we pressure washed a couple of the front walls on Tuesday. I need to do a couple rugs (I have flokati rugs in our bedroom - no clue how to clean, we have had forever - so we thought we'd pressure wash this year and see if that works! They're 20 yrs old so....if it fails, it fails.) Wanted to do today but I'm on conference calls all afternoon. Maybe tomorrow. Going to have a front come through and then be cold again for the weekend, maybe rainy.

He re-screened the back porch (that was always on the spring plan). Brewed me a cider and himself an IPA (used to brew a lot, hadn't brewed in 2 years). We might fix the drywall tape (and subsequently paint) throughout the main level of the house, but that's a big step and we're not there yet....

For me, work is still dang busy and I can't even catch up on reading or netflix the way everyone else seems to be able to do.....

I made bread for the first time ever at the weekend!

My work has been nuts as well but that’s just getting through the initial rush after lockdown, we expect it to calm right down, hence starting to furlough. 

• Like 1

Someone in Canada told us that general thought is Canada intends to keep lockdown for all of 2020.  They don't anticipate that schools will open up again until 2021.

• Sad 2

That cannot happen here. Seriously, my kids need to go to school in the late summer or fall or I will need to be institutionalized. On a more serious note, I also worry about the rates of child abuse during this time, and all the kids who are being abused already who no longer have people outside the family with eyes on them. The number of children abused is probably going to go up while the number of reports will probably go down. I’m a former social worker so I can’t help but worry about these things. 

• Sad 2

Kid’s college just sent out an email that more than a dozen students who chose to return to their off campus apartments after spring break have tested positive. Campus is closed but obviously they can’t stop people from returning off campus. They’ve also extended online-learning through the end of summer session in August. 

On the other hand, high schoolers PTA is trying to plan an alternate All Night Graduation party for as soon as the June 10th shelter in place is lifted. I seem to be the only parent who thinks it’s crazy and a huge liability to plan a mass gathering (500+ graduates) for literally days after quarantine. I’m furious, but I’m the asshole. 

• Confused 1

This article on Fox.com was surprisingly posted despite being very negative towards the White House. I don’t know this guy, but good for him for calling out the inaccuracies.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/sturgill-simpson-positive-coronavirus-white-house-press-briefings-speculation

Sturgill Simpson reveals positive coronavirus test, slams White House press briefings as 'pure speculation'

Tyler McCarthy2 hours ago

Get all the latest news on coronavirus and more delivered daily to your inbox.  Sign up here.

Country singer Sturgill Simpson revealed that he tested positive for COVID-19 and criticized doctors and the government’s response after he struggled to get tested for a month.

The 41-year-old country singer recently returned from a European tour that took place in January and February. The remainder of his tour was called off March 12 due to the pandemic. He explained that by March 13, he was in the hospital after complaining to his wife about chest pains, a fever and pre-stroke blood pressure levels. The star even shared a selfie he took looking sleepy on a hospital bed with a surgical mask covering his face.

Simpson explained that he struggled to get tested for the coronavirus for weeks despite showing symptoms and having recently traveled through a series of large gatherings at his concerts in Europe.

CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK: WHAT TO DO IF YOU THINK YOU'VE CONTRACTED THE NOVEL VIRUS

“I spent an hour listening to a (highly condescending) Doctor refuse to test me because I ‘did not fit testing criteria’ and tell me why it was impossible that I had contracted the virus due to its extreme rarity and that it was not in western Europe yet during that same period (which we now know is incorrect) even though I was told by two nurses that I was the first person their hospital had walk in requesting to be tested,” he wrote in the image’s lengthy caption.

Country singer Sturgill Simpson tested positive for coronavirus.

Country singer Sturgill Simpson tested positive for coronavirus. (Michael Kovac/Getty Images for AFI)

“Almost one month later on April 6th my wife and I were both tested after finally finding a free drive-thru testing facility outside a National Guard depot. Yesterday on Friday April 10th, after almost one month without any symptoms, I received a call from the Nashville CDC stating that my test resulted in a positive detection for Covid-19,” Simpson continued. “My wife (who has been by my side since Europe) tested negative.”

The country singer then set his sights on the daily White House press briefings, which he said were uninformed based on what a nurse at the CDC told him.

“I should also add that the CDC nurse I spoke to yesterday told me that it reacts differently in a case by case basis and the White House briefings and the information they are providing is basically pure speculation causing fear and that the only thing anybody knows is that we don’t really know much yet,” he wrote.

CORONAVIRUS: 5 UNUSUAL WAYS PEOPLE REACTED

He ended his post on a lighter note, explaining to his followers that he is will be self-isolating for the next few days and lambasting Donald Trump’s decision to put Vice President Mike Pence in charge of the country’s coronavirus response.

“All I know is I first felt symptoms a month ago yet Im still positive and contagious and now on quarantine in the dojo until April 19th and really wishing Id taken my wife’s advice and put a bathroom in the floor plans..live and learn,” he wrote. “But hey, at least our Government appointed task force headed by a man who does not believe in science is against mass testing and we now have a second task force in the works to ‘open America back up for business’!”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

As of Monday morning, the novel coronavirus has infected more than 1,860,011 people across 185 countries and territories, resulting in over 114,983 deaths. In the U.S., all 50 states plus the District of Columbia have reported confirmed cases of COVID-19, tallying over 557,590 illnesses and at least 22,109 deaths.

• Thanks 1

Texas governor wants to 'slowly' reopen business. Trump says that's the federal government's decision.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-gov-wants-slowly-reopen-private-business-trump-says-s-n1182886

Governors on East and West coasts form pacts to decide when to reopen economies

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/13/politics/states-band-together-reopening-plans/index.html

The first such group to be announced came Monday on the East Coast. Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said his state, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Rhode Island and Massachusetts each plan to name a public health and economic official to a regional working group. The chief of staff of the governor of each state also will be a part of the group, which will begin work immediately to design a reopening plan.

Later on Monday, the West Coast states of California, Washington and Oregon also announced they are joining forces in a plan to begin incremental release of stay-at-home orders. Governors of the three states will collaborate on their approach to getting back to business in "in a safe, strategic, responsible way," as announced by California Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Appears the governors have gone mustang on Trump.  Modern day mutiny!

• Like 1

They have to ignore Trump because he says it's the state's decision when people question why he waited so long to recommend shutting down the economy, and he says the states are on their own when they question why he is not doing more to treat the people who already have coronavirus and stop it from spreading to those that don't. Then when the states do start making their own decisions because of his lack of action and direction, he says the decision is up to him. He's an incompetent buffoon. 

Edited by witchkitten
  • Like 1

And then if you don't tell him he is doing a good job, he pulls funding from the state like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wordsworth said:

View from overseas: your president is an idiot, but I won’t be surprised if he gets voted in for another 4 years. 

November is a long time away and white women consistently vote against their own self-interest. [I've been looking at voter breakdowns....] 2018 voting results were encouraging - esp the voter turnout, super super high for a midterm election. But of course, who knows what will happen with COVID19 (though Wisconsin's primary last week was hopeful!) Voter suppression remains a problem. Foreign influence in myriad ways remains a big concern. I'm optimistic but I'll never be smug again.....

• Like 2

I think the issue (it seems from the outside at least) is the size of the divide between the two sides, the fragile yet enormous ego of the nepotistic President, and the almost cultish devotion of his supporters, I can’t quite believe how much people have actually seemed to accept.

It’s similar to the U.K., we’ve lost the politics of compromise in recent years - although the “main” opposition party of England just elected a new leader who seems a bit less batshit than the last one, so it’s a promising sign. I’m not counting my chickens though. 

• Like 2

I will never understand how his cult will yell "fake news!" to anything except the lies he tells.  WTF?!?! :huh:

• Like 2

Our main issue (among many) when it comes to choosing our president is the stupid electoral college system, which disenfranchises more people than all the voter suppression tactics combined. Seriously, there is no such thing as the “popular vote” anywhere else. It’s just called the vote. The electoral college system was created to protect slave states, who had the biggest populations and the most wealth at the time but had very small voting populations since they didn’t allow slaves to vote. They awarded electoral college delegates based on the total population (including slaves though they were only counted as 3/5ths of a human being) but then only allowed the non-slave population to vote. Now it weighs the votes of people from less populated states much higher than more populated larger states. It’s even worse now but in the mid aughts a person in Wisconsin’s vote was worth 33 times as much as a person from California. Since the more populated states are more diverse it overall weighs white votes more than votes from people of color so even if every person of color had the same opportunity to vote as white people in all states their vote would still be worth less as a group. Also, the winner take all allocation means that states where the margin between the winner and loser are smaller become more important than the more ideologically homogenous states. It just seems blatantly obvious that everyone should be worth the same but here you are worth more or less depending on where you live. Trump didn’t really win. Neither did Bush Jr. in 2000 even without the cheating that went on in Florida. What we have in the U.S. is minority rule and until something drastic happens that’s how it’s going to be and it sucks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, history has messed up our system of government for sure. Another issue is a balance between small states and large states, and trying to include/prioritize voters in more rural areas vs only cities etc. That said, Wyoming shouldn't have more power than California, just because we're a federalist system....[they don't, but....CA probably doesn't have as much power as it deserves - and I say that as a lifelong east coaster ;-) ]

Back on CV topic - happy to see so many serology tests coming out. Hopefully some will be GOOD (accurate, specific, sensitive and all that ;-)

• Like 1