Sign in to follow this  
princess

Coronavirus

On 3/12/2020 at 6:59 PM, dixiedoodah said:

If any of you disappear for a week, just know we are all going to think you have coronavirus. Keep gossiping!

Roll call, y’all. Everyone still hanging in there?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dixiedoodah said:

Roll call, y’all. Everyone still hanging in there?

Roger that, dixie. 

How are you? How's everyone?

• Like 1

Still here, still at home! State "opens" on Friday, county where I work still closed through May 15. My county? Rural, conservative - people are apparently out all over the place doing whatever the heck they want (my husband reports to me - he goes in to his office every day - essential work and he works alone....) I don't think I'll be going back in to my office for a while yet - I can function from home and have no need to be on campus.....

Went to local butcher last week for a couple of meat bundles. Spent a couple hours vacuum packing for the freezer so I think I can weather the meat shortage for a while. And the veggie garden is doing well so far. Gonna go all "homesteader" on this world (not that we were far from it before - when you live on an old farm in the South......) Ooh - I just ordered the kindle book Prairie Fire - biography of Laura Ingalls Wilder - it was on sale for $1.99 I think.

• Like 1

Plugging along here too.  No plans to move back to the office anytime soon.  I did get down to the beach a few nites to check out the red tide/bioluminescent plankton waves which was really cool.  It really does look like this video: 

• Like 1

I am furloughed from work at the moment but am actually pretty fortunate. I’m getting paid 80% of salary to stay at home and I don’t have kids to care for so it’s basically free time. Devoting the time to learning about baking with yeast LOL. Have also implemented a daily cocktail hour! 

My immediate family are ok but having rallied briefly, my relative in hospital has taken a downturn again. Still in need of oxygen but keeps testing negative for COVID. There’s little else they can do it seems; I hope for a peaceful passing (or a miraculous recovery, obviously).

Boris Johnston has talked about starting to ease lockdown soon but the Scottish government seem less keen on that so I don’t know what’ll happen here. My planned holiday to the US for June is slowly being cancelled. 

I hope you all stay safe! 

3 hours ago, Wordsworth said:

My planned holiday to the US for June is slowly being cancelled. 

you don't want none of us anyway....we're a shitshow over here ???.....I kid, I kid*

*not kidding

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Still here and still working from home.  Will be doing so until June.  Our state is planning more this week.  So far everyone healthy.  

I am suppose to be going to Prague in August. In February when this all started I was not worried about it being cancelled now in May I am.  A trip with my siblings.  

• Sad 1

One thing I’m enjoying, and there are actually a few perks to quarantine, are the live stream shows. Whatever your taste in music, there is probably some singer playing it free online. I personally love Ben Folds and he’s “trapped” in an apartment in Australia where he was on tour. He bought a cheap keyboard and every Saturday night he does request shows. He’s doing learn to play piano lessons for kids. What have you been enjoying?

• Like 2

I must admit I am well adapted to quarantine life. My husband, on the other hand, is a very social extrovert and has found the lack of socialization difficult. (He is considered essential, though, so once he fully kicked the 'rona, it was back to work for him, which was the best thing for him, I think.)

As for me, I'm reading a lot more, listening to a lot of music. Trying to limit my online spending, haha.

• Like 2

I haven't been managing my twitter addiction very well so I haven't been reading as much as I should. (and I love to read...) But I finished 2 books this week so I think it was a combo of inertia and finishing a book that just wasn't really doing it for me. Still working on magazine backlog too.....

I've also been enjoying the streaming music. Still have too much tv recorded - haven't really been netflix bingeing as I try to get the dvr under control....

But I'm healthy, I'm mostly happy because I am a misanthrope who loves to cook - I don't miss going out to eat or co-workers or the long commute.....

Ooh - does anyone have an etsy mask source they like? I did make one mask last weekend and it's fine but it was a miserable experience for me to sew....At some point I'll have to go back to my office and I'll have to wear masks there for ages - I need at least a week's worth of washable cloth masks......

@fykeylicious So your family turned out to be positive? I’m glad you have all recovered.

I would have loved quarantine if I didn’t have kids but I’ve found it to be one of the most challenging experiences of my life because of them. I was not cut out to be a teacher (remind me why teachers don’t make a million dollars a year) and while I love my children dearly I need space for my own sanity. I wish I were wealthy enough to have the income and space to have a live in nanny. I’m dreading the summer and I’m so anxious about the district possibly not reopening schools in the fall. I’d rather they open the schools and then have temporary closures throughout the year as needed when there are surges with plans for distance learning during those times. It would be better than just staying home the entire year. 

• Like 1

Hi All. I’ve been gone from here for a while but now I’m baaaaaack. I am in Georgia. We have stayed well. My sister teaches college. They don’t know when they will be going back to in-person learning. I’m retired so my life didn’t change much with the quarantine. 

The protests and riots have been frightening. I can’t watch the video of the killing anymore. Heartbreaking. I hope that things calm down soon. This country can’t take much more. 

• Like 5

They need to stop showing the murder video!! I'm not black and I'm traumatized - I can't even imagine what it's like for a black person to have to see it ALL THE TIME. Grr.

Husband got a test today. Apparently he was not feeling well yesterday, called his doc but it was closed. Felt better so he didn't say anything to me. ARGH. Called health dept today and was screened and they wanted him tested, so he went to one of two testing sites (private MD office) in our county.

Friday afternoon. Won't hear until Monday earliest, but could be longer. So I'm set up in a guest room, my stuff (hopefully the important stuff!) in the guest bath. He has the oxygen tank ready, the separate room a/c ready to go so he can take himself off the house HVAC.

Fingers crossed. (as you might guess, his symptoms such as they are are pretty minimal right now)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

Husband got a test today. Apparently he was not feeling well yesterday, called his doc but it was closed. Felt better so he didn't say anything to me. ARGH. Called health dept today and was screened and they wanted him tested, so he went to one of two testing sites (private MD office) in our county.

Friday afternoon. Won't hear until Monday earliest, but could be longer. So I'm set up in a guest room, my stuff (hopefully the important stuff!) in the guest bath. He has the oxygen tank ready, the separate room a/c ready to go so he can take himself off the house HVAC.

Fingers crossed. (as you might guess, his symptoms such as they are are pretty minimal right now)

Best of luck to you both. Here’s hoping it’s just a regular cold.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hoyaheel said:

Oh yes, lots of luck.  Keep us posted.

Friend of mine donated blood and apparently they test you for antibodies now at the same time.  I do want to get tested for antibodies due to my health issues I had in Dec/Jan.  Figured if I'm going to get tested, I might as well do it for a good cause at the same time. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 8:08 PM, princess said:

Friend of mine donated blood and apparently they test you for antibodies now at the same time.  I do want to get tested for antibodies due to my health issues I had in Dec/Jan.  Figured if I'm going to get tested, I might as well do it for a good cause at the same time. 

My Husband got the antibody test and it came back negative. We were all really sick in the winter time, my daughter missed almost a month of school. Even though it was so early in the cycle, we thought it was possible that we could have  had it. I know the false negative rate is kind of high. I’m giving blood in a couple weeks so we’ll see what they say about mine.

Also for those of you who have kids in K-12 school, we just found out yesterday what our back to school plan is and I’m curious what other school districts have come out with across the country. We are given two choices that we can select from. The first choice is all online. The second choice is two days in person, two days online. Like a Monday Wednesday Tuesday Thursday in person. My daughter desperately wants to go back to school. She’s not good with online learning and is very adamant that she wants to be in front of a teacher. It’s scaring the crap out of me especially in light of the news over the last few days that they don’t think the antibodies last very long, so you could get it over and over again. 

• Like 2

I'm scheduled to donate blood July 25th.  I'll know about 10 days later if I have the antibodies.  My mother is convinced I had it because I was so sick in Nov/Dec and then got the blood clot right before Christmas.  She keeps sending me articles (often questionable sources) about the connection between COVID-19 and blood clots.  What do I think?  I have no idea, but if giving blood and getting into a national register for tracking COVID-19 helps that's great.  Worst case, a stranger gets some much needed blood from me. :)

• Like 3

My in-laws think they had it on our cruise in December. We say no (we would have gotten it, EVERYONE would have been sick - you saw what happened on cruise ships!!!) But they keep saying it but won't get antibody tests. Grr.

Husband's test just came back today at lunch - negative. WOW!!! So happy.

Dixie - good luck with schooling! I know that has to be difficult. I work at a university - but I work in research, not with students. All the decisions are difficult.....

• Like 5

From what I've read, the antibody test actually errs toward false positives so if you have a negative result you probably didn't have it but if you get a positive result it's still up in the air. The opposite is true for the test for an active infection. That test errs toward false negatives so if you get a positive COVID-19 test then you almost certainly have it but if you get a negative test then there's still a pretty high chance that you have it (30%, I believe). It's all really frustrating. This past winter was horrible in terms of viruses going around. Our family got hit with Flu A (me and my older daughter), Flu B (my younger daughter), and RSV (me and both my daughters). 

Our school district hasn't officially told us what they're doing but the most likely scenario is that each class will be divided in two with half the class going Monday and Tuesday and the other half going Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday they'll sanitize. On the three days the kids aren't in school they're supposed to do distance learning. There may also be an option for full time distance learning as some parents aren't comfortable sending their children to school at all. I'm in the opposite camp. I would rather send my child full time and then have temporary closures when cases spike like they used to do with Polio and other infectious diseases. My older daughter didn't do well with learning from home, and, frankly, I didn't handle being a teacher very well either. We were both miserable, and she didn't learn everything she needed to. My younger daughter's preschool is opening in July with slightly reduced hours (to allow time for sanitizing, I'm guessing) but it's very small so they can comply with state guidelines a lot easier than the public schools can.

• Like 3