Sign in to follow this  
princess

Coronavirus

Go here for the latest news concerning the Covid-19 matter. I have a foot in both fields which of course means that I understand both sides of the situation completely, but since a person can't sit on the fence forever, no rhyme intended there, I can't blame Chase and Chris for getting out there again when at the end of the day, what a person chooses to do with their lives is all up to them and only them and to me, if a person wants to spend the rest of their lives in a Petri dish, its their life, but what plenty of people obviously do not get is that not everyone is going to have the same frame of mind which in my opinion is a good thing because only so many people can fit in a Petri dish anyway.

God bless you and Chase and Chris always!!!

Holly

As someone outside the US, the pictures, rise in cases and numbers we see being reported for the US are frankly terrifying. And given the circa two week time lag between infection and symptoms I fear it’s going to be worse.

I only hope it is because we are seeing the worst being cherry picked for reporting, rather than a balanced view. 

And to confirm the UK as a whole is not doing well either, we were too slow to close down, but I feel we did abide by lockdown more generally for a longer period. I consider myself fortunate to live in Scotland for this, as our devolved government have (as they should, in my view) put health considerations above the economy more than the U.K. overall government have. We have unlocked slower than England and we have now had 4 days without any covid related deaths in Scotland, but as we start to ease we may see that rise again. 

Edited by Wordsworth
  • Like 4

San Diego, CA created a really nice website that details out our status that is easy to read and makes it clear when we go back down on lock down: 

Health Officer Order will be modified when any of the following three criteria are met*: 2. Community Outbreaks, 7. ICU Capacity, 9. PPE Supply

Or one or more of the remaining criteria in at least two of the following three categories is met: Epidemiology (Surveillance), Healthcare (Hospital Capacity), Public Health (Response)

https://sdcounty.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/30b5e0fa2a5f4404b1219d8cd16b2583

Don't know if other cities have this, but I check this daily.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

The entire point of public health law is that it's only your life and your freedom until it affects MY health.

True, but do keep in mind that what other people do doesn't affect your health until you make the choice to join the rest of us for whatever reason. Therefore, if you don't want to worry about what other people are up to, your address is where you are to stay until you finally feel any different because the only person that you have any real control over is yourself which is what I try to explain in my previous message here.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Both sideserism isn't going to get  us out of this colossal mess. Good leadership, a national testing program and robust contact tracing might help. And I'm sure as hell staying in my house (I have literally left 5 times since March 16, for groceries). But I also have a public health background and, you know, a patriotic desire not to see my country freaking implode. So I'll stay at home AND remain vocal about following the science to keep others alive as well. Not everyone has the privilege to work from home or otherwise stay at home.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, James Otto Sweet Heart said:

True, but do keep in mind that what other people do doesn't affect your health until you make the choice to join the rest of us for whatever reason. Therefore, if you don't want to worry about what other people are up to, your address is where you are to stay until you finally feel any different because the only person that you have any real control over is yourself which is what I try to explain in my previous message here.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I sort of understand what you’re saying re you being the only person you can control, but equally I don’t think a position where some people feel they can’t leave their house due to others being (frankly) selfish or inconsiderate is what any functional society should be aiming for, or accepting as appropriate. 

We all have to exist together on this planet, surely an important part of that is (or should be) being considerate to and thoughtful of others.

If protecting someone more vulnerable means that I can’t do everything I would otherwise like to, I’ll take the hit, because fundamentally I would rather not endanger others, even if the risk for me is low. 

• Like 6

Covid is highlighting the weak, selfish nature of most Americans. Waah I don't want to be inconvenienced! It's MY right to do what I want, where I want! What about MAH FREEDOM!

For a supposedly "Christian" country, the idea of "do unto others" has certainly been flushed down the toilet.

Unfortunately Americans as a whole -- and this is a controversial opinion here, but whatever, I got tons of 'em -- have been gaslit by the notion of American exceptionalism.*** That is, we have been taught from childhood that we live in the greatest country on earth. That what happens in other places cannot happen here. That we are better than others, cause we're the United States of America, dammit. And thus we are blinded to our own faults and the very simple fact that this country is, like every other nation on earth, truly only a hair's breadth away from collapse. That the very systems we believe set us apart are not, in fact, infallible. 

Unless people wake up and realize that each and every single person has to work for the good of all, then we are doomed as a nation. It's not always about what you want. It's about what others need. Or do we really not give a shit about others? Is America really only ME ME ME?  

***We've been gaslit by other false notions as well, most notably that the Cold War ended in 1991, but that's a tale for another day ... ?

Edited by fykeylicious
  • Like 8

27 minutes ago, fykeylicious said:

Unless people wake up and realize that each and every single person has to work for the good of all, then we are doomed as a nation.

I should add this same mentality is going to come into play with climate change. Covid is merely the appetizer, and, like Covid, climate change is going to require action from EACH AND EVERY SINGLE PERSON, everywhere.

It's one thing to think, "well the government should ban x" or "corporations should start doing y" but guess what? It's going to take dedication and purposeful CHANGE from every single one of us if we're going to do what needs to be done. That's an uncomfortable, even frightening, thought.

But if we can't even get our shit together to wear a friggin mask when leaving the house..... then God help us with climate change. (And I'm pretty sure God wants us to figure this one out ourselves, anyway.)

Ok rants over :)

• Like 5

The irony now is that those musicians who held those concerts are facing a LOT of peer pressure about their stupidity and are pledging they won't do it again, saying it wasn't a good idea (in retrospect, because they've been called out on it by bigger artists in their industry ;-)

I fear for our economy, for the number of businesses that won't ever come back from this, but the truth is that the global economy cannot survive & thrive unless its people are healthy.

• Like 3

And here I thought the next worldwide virus was going to come from the deforestation of the Amazon jungle, not a bat in China.  Oh wait, we still have time for that too.  :BangHead:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fykeylicious said:

Covid is highlighting the weak, selfish nature of most Americans. Waah I don't want to be inconvenienced! It's MY right to do what I want, where I want! What about MAH FREEDOM!

For a supposedly "Christian" country, the idea of "do unto others" has certainly been flushed down the toilet.

Unfortunately Americans as a whole -- and this is a controversial opinion here, but whatever, I got tons of 'em -- have been gaslit by the notion of American exceptionalism.*** That is, we have been taught from childhood that we live in the greatest country on earth. That what happens in other places cannot happen here. That we are better than others, cause we're the United States of America, dammit. And thus we are blinded to our own faults and the very simple fact that this country is, like every other nation on earth, truly only a hair's breadth away from collapse. That the very systems we believe set us apart are not, in fact, infallible. 

Unless people wake up and realize that each and every single person has to work for the good of all, then we are doomed as a nation. It's not always about what you want. It's about what others need. Or do we really not give a shit about others? Is America really only ME ME ME? 

***We've been gaslit by other false notions as well, most notably that the Cold War ended in 1991, but that's a tale for another day ... ?

Saying that we are doomed as a nation may not even begin to cover it when the sickness is said to be all over the planet.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Edited by James Otto Sweet Heart

What about essential workers who don’t have the option of isolating themselves? What about others who can mostly isolate but still need essentials like groceries and prescriptions? Also, those people going to concerts cause the rest of us to have to isolate longer. And before someone says “but the protests” or “but you want schools to reopen”, education/school and institutional racism/police brutality are public health issues too just like this virus. No one is going to be at a higher risk of death, disease, abuse, prison, etc. if they don’t go to a concert or to the theater or a sports game. Social interaction is absolutely necessary, IMO, but it can be done in a safer way in smaller groups, and so can listening to music. As far as I can tell there was no safer way of affecting change in policing and institutional racism than protesting. People of color have been talking about and suffering the consequences of it for years and nothing has changed. These protests seem to be making a difference and I hope they do lead to lasting changesIn terms of education, there is no substitute for in person schooling. Distance learning doesn’t work for most kids, especially for those most at risk for poor outcomes in the first place. Kids who do poorly in school are at risk for all sorts of negative outcomes including early death, chronic illness, and prison. And right now kids are trapped at home with parents pushed to their breaking point, which is a recipe for child abuse, while at the same time those children have less eyes on them to catch the abuse that is happening. So, I support opening schools (with temporary closures if necessary by region) and the protests but I don’t support people going to concerts or restaurants/bars that are ignoring social distancing recommendations. 

I’ll step off my soapbox now. 

• Like 8

This really gets me. I’ll be honest, I didn’t know his work before Covid hit, but I’ve been following his story since the beginning. It seems like he was one of the earliest “notable” really sick people, so it got a lot of coverage. It’s basically been a story almost from the beginning of Corona, so it felt a little like the hope for the pandemic for me. I feel just awful for what he went through for all of this time.

Nick Cordero, Broadway Actor, Dies at 41 After Coronavirus Complications

Mackenzie Nichols  39m

Broadway actor Nick Cordero, known for his roles in “Rock of Ages,” “Waitress,” “Bullets Over Broadway” and “A Bronx Tale The Musical,” died on Sunday after battling complications from COVID-19 for several months. He was 41.

His wife, Amanda Kloots, made the sad announcement on her Instagram account on Sunday night.

God has another angel in heaven now. My darling husband passed away this morning. He was surrounded in love by his family, singing and praying as he gently left this earth. ⠀ I am in disbelief and hurting everywhere. My heart is broken as I cannot imagine our lives without him. Nick was such a bright light. He was everyone’s friend, loved to listen, help and especially talk. He was an incredible actor and musician. He loved his family and loved being a father and husband. Elvis and I will miss him in everything we do, everyday. ⠀ To Nicks extraordinary doctor, Dr. David Ng, you were my positive doctor! There are not many doctors like you. Kind, smart, compassionate, assertive and always eager to listen to my crazy ideas or call yet another doctor for me for a second opinion. You’re a diamond in the rough. ⠀ ⠀ I cannot begin to thank everyone enough for the outpour of love , support and help we’ve received these last 95 days. You have no idea how much you lifted my spirits at 3pm everyday as the world sang Nicks song, Live Your Life. We sang it to him today, holding his hands. As I sang the last line to him, “they’ll give you hell but don’t you light them kill your light not without a fight. Live your life,” I smiled because he definitely put up a fight. I will love you forever and always my sweet man. ❤️

A post shared by AK!  (@amandakloots) on Jul 5, 2020 at 6:05pm PDT

In March 2020, Cordero was hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles after testing positive for coronavirus. Throughout his stay in the hospital, he underwent a leg amputation, was given a temporary pacemaker and was put into a medically induced coma.

He had been in the intensive care unit for more than 90 days and suffered from additional complications, like lung infections and septic shock.

Kloots, had been giving updates on Cordero’s status on her Instagram stories throughout his hospital stay. Most recently she told Gayle King that he would likely need a double lung transplant if he survived. Many people showed their support with posts and videos using #WakeUpNick.

Cordero first hit the Broadway stage for “Rock of Ages” in 2012 as Dennis and Record Company Man. In 2014, he earned a Tony nomination and a Drama Desk nomination for his role of Cheech in the musical adaptation of Woody Allen’s “Bullets Over Broadway.” He also appeared as Earl in “Waitress,” leaving to play Sonny in “A Bronx Tale The Musical,” for which he was nominated for a Drama Desk award.

On television, he had guest roles in “Queer as Folk” and “Lilyhammer,” and had recurring roles as Victor Lugo in “Blue Bloods” and as Anthony Marino in “Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.”

Raised in Hamilton, Ontario, Cordero attended Ryerson University but left partway through to sing for the band Lovemethod. After leaving Canada for New York, he originated the role of Toxie off-Broadway in “The Toxic Avenger.”

Cordero is survived by his wife, who was a former Radio City Rockette and dancer, and their son, Elvis.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Tomorrow is the day we have to make the call about next school year. You may have seen Betsy DeVos on the news railing against my school district. She’s really got it in for us in particular. And my daughters Girl Scout friend/classmate was on NBC Nightly News last night talking about it from the student perspective. 

I think we have decided that rather than doing two days in school, my daughter is going to do all online. It’s a year-long commitment and can’t be changed after tomorrow, which stinks, but my daughter has asthma and my husband has high blood pressure, so that’s where we’ve come down.  Anyone else dealing with this right now?

• Like 2

Our school district just announced we are going to start off the school year 100% distance learning. Most of the major school districts in California are doing the same (Orange County and Marin County are notable exceptions). I literally don’t know how my first grader and I are going to survive. She’s certainly going to fall even further behind academically. At this point there was no safe way to go back with cases rising so rapidly and huge budget cuts to education. As always kids and education weren’t a priority for our government (national, state, or local) and the kids and parents are going to suffer the consequences. I’m really worried about the low income and special needs kids who are going to be the most severely affected (some of those kids aren’t coming back from this), and also kids who are being abused. All because people had to go to bars, restaurants, gyms, and other crowded places where people couldn’t or wouldn’t wear masks and weren’t observing social distancing rules. 

• Like 2

I will admit that while it wasn’t the deciding factor, we definitely considered the fact that taking our daughter out was one less body crowding a classroom for the kids who have no choice but to be there. 

I agree with what you said,  Witchkitten. This is a real disaster. The exact same people (At least where I am) saying we need to open everything up and fix the economy are the ones who won’t mask. How do they not see they are the problem!

• Like 3

My district hasn't decided yet. They're still in the process of mulling it over, sending out surveys to parents, etc. We're in the suburbs of Philly so right now things are good (or as good as can be, anyway) in this area -- but it's only a matter of time before, in my opinion, cases rise again.

I'm not sure what I will want to do with my kids (who will be in first and third grade in September) if we are given the option. I'm so, so conflicted. (Then again, without concrete options, it's hard to anticipate what I would do, so we're all in limbo right now.)

Add to this -- two local elementary schools in my children's district (not their elementary school, though) advertised for an assistant librarian position. I applied. It's like my dream job. I am a former high school English teacher, and I'd never go back to the classroom, as there is no way I could handle the workload and take care of things at home. But this? An assistant librarian job? OMG. 

So I applied and have an interview via Zoom next week, but now I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about it all. My husband is like slow down Nellie, you haven't been offered anything yet. And he's right! But I can't help but worry anyway how it will all pan out. I'm hoping we go 100% virtual and then it's all out of my hands....but I know a solution like that has its own problems, too.

So many worries! 

Edit to add: If I had to listen to my spidey senses, I think schools in my area will open but will shut down in October. We'll see how accurate of a prediction that is.

Edited by fykeylicious
  • Like 2

NC governor just announced a hybrid plan for the state - I think that local districts will make specific changes that are appropriate to them? I don't have kids and have more friends & co-workers with kids in the county where I work vs none where I live so I don't know details. I know that the online enrollment deadlines for the totally online options have been extended a little so parents can do what dixiedoodah did as they find out details of what is planned....

I hate this. It's critical for our children (and lets face it - working moms!) that schools are open. But how on earth can that be done safely right now? I don't think it can be. An yet it must. Argh!

• Like 1

Scotland moved to phase 3 today and our pubs and restaurants opened for inside dining. More importantly hairdressers opened so I am getting my roots done tomorrow ?

Edited by Wordsworth
  • Like 1

San Diego announced virtual only next year for schools.  Everyone I know with kids says their kids won't learn as well with distance learning, but their children will be safe.  Better safe and behind in school than at school and end up dead, heart defect, brain damage, etc.

Saw this earlier this week, thought even if the numbers / % are slightly off the point is certainly made. Scary shit. :blink:

109124840_316206419752910_193326439932058542_n.jpg

• Like 2

Well, 16 year old became our first Covid test today. We went to the pediatrician for some thing we thought was relatively random, only to find out it’s a Covid symptom! Doctor doesn’t really think she has it but it’s weird enough that he’s suspicious and had her tested on site. Hopefully we should hear by Monday possibly even Saturday. So, double extra quarantine for her this weekend. 

As an aside, I know he has kids in my school district. I said, “I know it’s a day too late, but do you have any strong feelings about which school proposal to choose?” He paused for a minute and said, “All I can say to you at this point is that we decided to do online in our house.” Feeling better and better about our choice. Even distraught child is seeing the logic. 

• Like 3

I went into a shop for the first time since March today. And then got my hair coloured for the first time since February. Wearing a mask for both as it’s mandatory here now. 

• Like 1