Sign in to follow this  
princess

Coronavirus

On 2/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, MissuTam said:

Pre registered in January.  Still waiting (estimated at 3 to 4 weeks) for an OK to attempt to schedule an appointment here in Maryland.  Do not believe that crap about people not wanting the vaccine,  remember how hard it was to get a test.  

My mom also pre registered in January here in Jersey. She's elderly and definitely eligible. They gave her a date in late April...

I was just able to schedule my Mom's 2nd dose for later this week.  So happy to have her fully vaccinated.  Been a little rough getting appointments for 65 and older, but have good website for San Diego appointments and I've got mad skills getting online tickets/appointment training from trying to get Comic Con tixs :D   They are giving priority to 2nd dose people right now because inventory is low.  I think she would have figured it out, but feel better I jumped on getting her appointments booked online sooner rather than later.

I've heard a few friends (all baby boomers) who say they don't trust the vaccine, so frustrating. 

I hear next  age group will be allowed to get vaccinated in mid/late March - keeping my fingers crossed I'm part of the next age category.  I'm suppose to have surgery in late April/early May and would like to be vaccinated before I do that if possible.

ETA:  We had 1 person in San Diego who tested positive for COVID after getting both shots.  People freaked out saying vaccine doesn't work.  Um.... that's why they say it's only 95% effective people!  So funny for people to go "Oh yeah..."

Edited by princess
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm gonna be in that last bucket....But all various sets of my parents have had their vaccines. 2 sets in FL (different counties), IL, and NC. 

Hubs thinks he's next - group 3 is essential workers - but I don't think he qualifies. Who knows - they don't really say right now....

I don't know if this works in other areas, but we have several "super stations" in San Diego.  Open secret that if you hang around the entrance about closing time, if they have extra vaccine defrosted (because of no-shows during the day) they will vaccinate anyone.  Nice orderly little lines now form out front for those that don't qualify otherwise.  I think most folks are good about only using that option if they are high risk (or someone in their household is) and under 65.

• Like 1

Yeah, lots around here do that to see if people miss appointments or there are leftovers. Quite a few colleagues of mine have volunteered at vaccine clinics so they get vaccinated too. They earn it! 

• Like 1

Yeah, I've had a few friends do a few volunteer jobs to get early vaccinations too.  I'm willing to wait until it's my turn for now, I'm not high risk.  However if it gets close to my surgery date and it doesn't look like I'll be getting poked in the arm, I'll check out options.

• Like 1

I should note - I work at a university in research and a lot of my colleagues are actually nurses who do clinical research. Those who are doing research in person now (not everyone) is eligible for a vaccine. I'm not in person and don't need to be (I do admin stuff these days, not out there talking to research participants any more) which is why I'm at the bottom of the list. Our university/health system has asked for volunteers - to administer vaccines if trained, or to help with admin/organization at vaccine clinics if not. I live far from my office, so I haven't volunteered. I'm also a wimp about personal risk. I know lots of people at all levels who have volunteered - not just for access to the vaccine - it's really been great to see how many people want to help. [on the other hand, I've worked to organize a webinar series - not exactly the same impact but oh well - that's where my skillset is, so.....]

FYI messaged with my friend who is in Egypt today.  He said that they are starting to distribute the China version of the vaccine but there is a lot of mistrust.  Not just from that particular vaccine, but also any vaccine.  Plus they are not very well organized about how to distribute vaccine.  With tourism being such a huge part of their economy, they have been hit particularity hard.

• Sad 1

The charts showing vaccine rollout are not looking good. I'm surprised to see the EU doing so much worse than UK & US. If I see the line chart again, I'll try to post- I can't remember which article it was in (problem with twitter - I lose context).

Today's webinar was about vaccine hesitancy - it's real, it's far worse than it used to be, of course. And it's global....

• Sad 2

The EU have got supply issues I think, and there’s also been negative coverage of the Astra Zeneca vaccine in some EU countries re giving it to over 60s, because the initial trials didn’t include over 60s. They wanted to test lower risk groups first, but concluded it would be fine for over 60s before it was approved. (There might also be some brexit point scoring there given its a U.K. vaccine...) 

my mum has had her first dose of the AZ vaccine, as have my in laws. 

Edit: replace virus typo with vaccine, that’s appropriate! 

Edited by Wordsworth
  • Like 1

Do we have anyone on this board from Asia or Africa?  I'd be interested on some feet-on-the-ground experiences there in terms of vaccine rollout. 

None. (I work in global health - am not living overseas, but... I kind of talk about this every day) Ghana got its first batch of vaccines from COVAX today. South africa might be one of the few countries vaccinating, though with b1135 supposedly not responding well to their vaccine (are they using AZ? Can't remember) there's concern and some sites stopped vaccinating.

One of my college roomies lives in Mozambique and it was fine there last summer but now they have a lot of spread - and it's b1135 sadly. No vaccines there, though at least testing is available. Tanzania has said there is no COVID in their country (have said it for months) but it's blatantly untrue, they just don't test or keep track because the president would prefer to say that god cured/saved them all.

So, yeah, not a great place now. Asia is much better - if only because the poorest countries never had much of a breakout. I'll see if I have any global stats. What I wouldnt give to find that dang line chart again. 

• Like 1

OK, here is the line chart for vaccinations delivered globally (they track other metrics on this site as well) https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

[oooh they have a map option too! different tab under the chart - I just found - I love playing with visual representations of data...I hate making them but I love playing with charts others have made!]

Washington Post today quoting some work of my colleagues 🙂This article talks about COVAX (which is a multilateral effort to procure & distribute COVID vaccines equitably globally) that I mentioned yesterday - first doses arriving in Ghana yesterday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com//world/2021/02/25/vaccine-supply-covax-ghana/?utm_campaign=wp_todays_worldview&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_todayworld&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F30218df%2F60372db99d2fda4c88f1c721%2F5de541ed9bbc0f414f804ada%2F13%2F75%2F60372db99d2fda4c88f1c721

Edited by Hoyaheel
  • Like 2

I've been hearing more about Covax too, so the word is out.  Global teamwork!

Love the chart!

I noticed this story had a neat little feature at the bottom you can search by country

• Like 1

I got my first dose Saturday!   So excited, I can barely stand it🤩

Our state opened it up to school employees. As a non-faculty coach, I was worried I wouldn’t get one.   But our school district arranged a drive with enough for every single employee (if they wanted it).  Great experience! 

• Like 3

One of my best friends and her family tested positive for COVID a week ago, but they seem to be doing ok, with only relatively mild symptoms.

I think this is the trickiest bit - the vaccine is rolling out but with more contagious strains, trying to balance the two is going to be difficult. 

• Like 1

Had Zoom "dinner" with some old friends last nite, one of whom is a nurse in recovery (from surgery).  She just found out that the priest that married her (she is close with him) died in her hospital from COVID about a week ago.  She didn't even know he was there.  He was in his 80's and refused intubation. 

We aren't out of the woods yet. :(

• Sad 1

Got my first shot today - pfizer.

My old roomie in Mozambique said she and her husband will likely come to the US this summer for vaccines. They do have some now but chinese and indian and no good data on those so they'd prefer to come back here (well, DC) and handle. 

• Like 3

Interesting - didn't even think about the idea people would travel to a specific country  to get the vaccine brand they want.  I know people travel for plastic surgery, so it makes sense this would happen too. :blink: 

• Like 1

I got my second Pfizer shot on Tuesday. After the first dose I had minor side effects (mostly it triggered a migraine) but I was hit hard with side effects after the second dose. I felt like I had the flu. A fever between 100 and 101 degrees, chills, headache, muscle aches all day Wednesday then miraculously woke up Thursday morning completely fine. Zero symptoms, normal temperature. It was not a pleasant experience but so worth it. It pretty much confirms what I already thought, that if I had gotten COVID I would not have been asymptomatic or just gotten a cold. At the very least I would have had flu-like symptoms and at worst I would have needed to be hospitalized. 

Edited by witchkitten
  • Like 2

^ that’s interesting witchkitten, here in the U.K. the majority of folks have had the Astra Zeneca jab and the reporting is that the side effects are worse with AZ after the first dose versus the second, but it’s the other way round with the Pfizer jab. That would be in line with your experience.

It’s not my age group’s (40-49) turn yet in Scotland, but I’ve heard rumours our jags will hopefully start towards the end of this month. 

• Like 2

My bestie is in Scotland and her spouse is older so he's had his shots, she's still waiting as far as I know. Book club is Apr 24 so I'll know more then 😉

I feel fine today, thank goodness! Still want to be lazy for the weekend but that's normal, not vaccine related 😂 I signed up for CDC V safe vaccine monitoring, made my 2nd appt....

I'm so thankful for all the vaccines so far but holy cow do we have a big job ahead of us. 

• Like 2